PDA

View Full Version : Back to visit after many years, looking for a contact for info.

JBMauser
08-31-2020, 10:08 AM
My lead pot is dusty and I have not shot much. I came back to find the person who was a source for Antimony or some other member who is knowledgeable of alloy metal. I recently was given some ingots which were represented as lead. They are not. they are embossed with the name of a company that deals mainly in zinc but they also deal in other metals. I want to know how to test a bar to know if it is in fact zinc. I think I will look around for a while, spent a lot of time on this board and learned a lot. Glad to see it is still here. Found Cast pics as well. Great to see it memorialized. Great job guys.

toallmy
08-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Do the ingots have a Short section Of hard wire sticking out of them ? I see your in Virginia could be zink for crab �� pots .
A acid test will show the zinc

Joe504
08-31-2020, 10:51 AM
Some scrap metal dealers will test metals with an XRF machine and it will tell you exactly what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CastingFool
08-31-2020, 11:47 AM
Put a few drops of muriatic acid on the ingots. If they foam up, they have zinc in them.

Wayne Smith
08-31-2020, 07:05 PM
He's over in the Shenandoah valley - not likely to find crab pots there! Here, yes, but that far over the mountains I doubt it.

lightman
08-31-2020, 07:22 PM
My lead pot is dusty and I have not shot much. I came back to find the person who was a source for Antimony or some other member who is knowledgeable of alloy metal. I recently was given some ingots which were represented as lead. They are not. they are embossed with the name of a company that deals mainly in zinc but they also deal in other metals. I want to know how to test a bar to know if it is in fact zinc. I think I will look around for a while, spent a lot of time on this board and learned a lot. Glad to see it is still here. Found Cast pics as well. Great to see it memorialized. Great job guys.

You may be looking for "The Antimony Man". I believe he has passed away and the business is closed.

You can test your ingots with a few drops of acid. If they contain Zinc they will bubble and fix. You can use the stuff used in swimming pools, the stuff used to wash freshly laid brick or the stuff that dissolves roots.

varmintpopper
08-31-2020, 07:42 PM
Try taking it to Your local Jeweler that buys gold. They can X ray it and make a print out of what metals it is composed of.
probably wont even charge You for doing it.

Good Shooting

Lindy