PDA

View Full Version : I hate pins!

Super Sneaky Steve
08-30-2020, 09:40 PM
Have you guys had any luck cleaning dirty 22lr jackets without pins? Maybe with an ultrasonic?

Ozark mike
08-30-2020, 09:42 PM
Super small bottle brush

rancher1913
08-30-2020, 09:53 PM
I just tumble with dawn and citric acid in a cement mixer for an hour or so and they are clean enough for my swagging.

Super Sneaky Steve
08-31-2020, 04:03 PM
I just tumble with dawn and citric acid in a cement mixer for an hour or so and they are clean enough for my swagging.

Mine are pretty clean but not squeaky spotless inside. I guess that's good enough. I tumbled mine in a FART for about the same time using the same stuff. I did the pins once and it made me want to jump off a bridge. I'm sure a small brush would work but I'm trying to do a lot of them.

thraxx
08-31-2020, 04:35 PM
Are you having trouble separating the pins? I tossed my into a salad spinner and give it a few spins back and forth.

clodhopper
08-31-2020, 04:45 PM
I don't hate them, but only rarely use them any more.

It takes lees time to turn a new derimming punch than separating 5 lbs of pins a few batches of rimfire brass.

Like Rancher1913, citric acid and dawn do a pretty good job for me too.

Super Sneaky Steve
08-31-2020, 05:31 PM
Are you having trouble separating the pins? I tossed my into a salad spinner and give it a few spins back and forth.

I have the Frankford Arsenal separator but the slots are too big. Maybe I need to look in the cooking section.

Super Sneaky Steve
08-31-2020, 05:32 PM
I don't hate them, but only rarely use them any more.

It takes lees time to turn a new derimming punch than separating 5 lbs of pins a few batches of rimfire brass.

Like Rancher1913, citric acid and dawn do a pretty good job for me too.

When is your deriming punch worn out? Mine already has the ring on it but the jackets still come out useable.

thraxx
08-31-2020, 08:09 PM
yep, I have an FA separator, too. If i had to use that for .22 cases I'd be quitting as well.

The cases tend to fall through the cracks of the dehydrator too. I started putting them on the part that's used for making fruit roll-ups.

BT Sniper
08-31-2020, 08:30 PM
As far as I know the Dillon media separators are the only ones I know of that the holes/grooves are not bigger then derimed 22lr brass.

Southern Shine media is pretty good at not getting stuck in cases.

Swage on!

BT

NyFirefighter357
08-31-2020, 08:55 PM
Try copper plated BB's I've used the SS chips as well but they may bunch up in those small cases. Another trick I use is removing the water and straining out what ever media I can, then place the cases back in the tumbler with a 1"x2"x3/8" strong ceramic magnet from HF. I tuble them for several minutes to collect the media that falls out of the cases. I'm using the Original F.A.R.T.

https://www.ammobrass.com/product-page/stainless-steel-cleaning-media-chips-for-wet-tumblers

clodhopper
08-31-2020, 11:01 PM
When the roughness starts to cause problems.

Gew
09-01-2020, 08:58 AM
My FART holds 22LR by the rim and drops the pins.

pertnear
09-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Have you guys had any luck cleaning dirty 22lr jackets without pins? Maybe with an ultrasonic?

You can always go "old-school" & boil the daylights out of 'em! I bought a HF ultrasonic for prep'ing the empties before de-rimming but the boiling method seems to works just as well. For the record, neither boiling or ultrasonic gets them squeaky clean.

After annealing, SS pins are all that seem to work good enough to get the jackets GTG. I use a kitchen colander to separate.

Super Sneaky Steve
09-01-2020, 06:34 PM
As far as I know the Dillon media separators are the only ones I know of that the holes/grooves are not bigger then derimed 22lr brass.

Southern Shine media is pretty good at not getting stuck in cases.

Swage on!

BT

Ordered! Wish I know this before I bought the FA version. Oh well. Money well spent if it works. Thanks!

Super Sneaky Steve
09-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Try copper plated BB's I've used the SS chips as well but they may bunch up in those small cases. Another trick I use is removing the water and straining out what ever media I can, then place the cases back in the tumbler with a 1"x2"x3/8" strong ceramic magnet from HF. I tuble them for several minutes to collect the media that falls out of the cases. I'm using the Original F.A.R.T.

https://www.ammobrass.com/product-page/stainless-steel-cleaning-media-chips-for-wet-tumblers

I'll try the BBs thanks!

Super Sneaky Steve
09-01-2020, 06:36 PM
You can always go "old-school" & boil the daylights out of 'em! I bought a HF ultrasonic for prep'ing the empties before de-rimming but the boiling method seems to works just as well. For the record, neither boiling or ultrasonic gets them squeaky clean.

After annealing, SS pins are all that seem to work good enough to get the jackets GTG. I use a kitchen colander to separate.

Have you had jacket separation with less than spotless brass? All I want is functional boolits.

rcslotcar
09-01-2020, 11:38 PM
I use two containers from the 99cent store, the larger one on bottom and the one with drain holes on top. I fill the container with water about 4"high. Then set the one manufactured with small holes on top. I then empty the drum with shells and pins on top. All that is needed is to swish them around and the pins fall into the lower container. I also have an old shopping hand basket that is made of a fine wire mesh screen. I use the same method with the basket.