PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 1050 Lock Ring Inserts

deltaenterprizes
08-30-2020, 07:18 PM
I am thinking about making some lock ring inserts out of aluminum or brass.
The plastic ones keep cracking and I think the metal ones will last longer.
Another way would eliminate them by drilling and tapping for a set screw like the lock ring on reloading dies.
The way Star did it was a cross screw like on older dies.
Any thoughts?
I have the aluminum plate and could make about 8 out of one piece, enough for both presses.

jmorris
08-30-2020, 07:57 PM
Don’t tighten them down so much and they won’t crack. Shouldn’t be any problem with you making them out of metal though, unless that allows you to put enough torque on something to bend, break or strip.

The plastic is there to save some from themselves, just one of them snug is all it takes to keep the ring from changing position, and there are four.

deltaenterprizes
08-30-2020, 08:44 PM
These tabs are from the late 80s and I think they cracked because of age not over tightening.
I have more time than money so I figured I would make some that will out last me! I am 65 so if they last 20 years I will not have to worry about them anymore!
Looks like I am going to have to use brass or black Delrin, the aluminum is not big enough to do it the way I have planned.

M-Tecs
08-30-2020, 09:21 PM
$10.95 here for and improved design https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-low-profile-lock-ring-insert-kit

deltaenterprizes
08-31-2020, 06:33 AM
$10.95 here for and improved design https://reloadinginnovations.com/products/dillon-1050-low-profile-lock-ring-insert-kit
Plus shipping that is almost as much as the part!

jmorris
08-31-2020, 10:05 AM
These tabs are from the late 80s and I think they cracked because of age not over tightening.
I have more time than money so I figured I would make some that will out last me! I am 65 so if they last 20 years I will not have to worry about them anymore!

If they were new in even 1990, you got 30 years out of the plastic ones. I am all for building stuff, so I understand but new replacement ones are only $1.99.

That’s less than $0.07 a year as far as costs go. Frugal I understand but...hell, the sales tax on each and every dollar I spend is more than that.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-1050-upper-machine-assembly_8_46_25608.html

If they last only two thirds the time the last set did you won’t have to worry about them anymore.

FWIW, even though the 1050’s don’t have the lifetime no BS warranty when I call to order more of the plastic primer tube tips, they never charge me and send them for free. I wouldn’t be shocked if they do the same for the inserts.

If even a toll free phone call is too much expense/work, I’d likely just use a piece of leather instead of metal. Will keep the ring from moving and keep you from damaging anything else.

deltaenterprizes
08-31-2020, 12:15 PM
If they were new in even 1990, you got 30 years out of the plastic ones. I am all for building stuff, so I understand but new replacement ones are only $1.99.

That’s less than $0.07 a year as far as costs go. Frugal I understand but...hell, the sales tax on each and every dollar I spend is more than that.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-1050-upper-machine-assembly_8_46_25608.html

If they last only two thirds the time the last set did you won’t have to worry about them anymore.

FWIW, even though the 1050’s don’t have the lifetime no BS warranty when I call to order more of the plastic primer tube tips, they never charge me and send them for free. I wouldn’t be shocked if they do the same for the inserts.

If even a toll free phone call is too much expense/work, I’d likely just use a piece of leather instead of metal. Will keep the ring from moving and keep you from damaging anything else.

Brass or aluminum or Delrin will not damage steel! And I will have them in a day and they will last 2 lifetimes!
I am not working and have the time and material and tools and machinery!

jmorris
08-31-2020, 03:41 PM
Delrin would be the best choice out of those materials, like what the originals are made from. UHMW, Hyvar, Tyvar and numbers of other polymers would be better than metals.

deltaenterprizes
09-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Making progress on the brass parts!
I cut some brass pipe, annealed it and flattened it and cut a disk the OD of the lock ring. I need to make a 45 degree cut on the AOD of the disk and bore a hole the size of the part the lock ring threads on to.
The next step is to cut the ring into small pieces that will become the inserts!

deltaenterprizes
09-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Finished them today! Nic pretty little pieces of gold!
Nice fit and I came up with 11 pieces, that gives me 3 extra, I have 2 1050s.
I never have to buy them again.
It only took a couple of hours and $10,000 worth of machine tools to make $30 worth of parts!
That is what a home shop is for, turning scrap into useful parts.