PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure What is Going on Here

Slingin'Lead
08-29-2020, 03:11 PM
Happy Saturday everyone,

I used the search function but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a new Lee .358 - 105-SWC mold. The boolits are dropping between .359 and .360. I sprayed them down with a good coat of silicone spray then started to run them through my .357 Lee sizing die. For lack of a better term, one side of the boolit is being rubbed smooth. Can you guys tell me what the heck is going on and how I should proceed? Why is it just on one side? I powder coat if that information is of any help.

Thank you in advance for your help.

(I tried posting a photo but couldn't for some reason)

PositiveCaster
08-29-2020, 03:37 PM
Did your sizing die work correctly with other cast boolets? What is the diameter of the sized, damaged boolets?

Regarding posting photos, what photo hosting site are you using?

blue32
08-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Sounds like too much lubricant on the boolits. I experienced something similar when a sizing die is new and it still has the protective oils on it.

Bloodman14
08-29-2020, 03:51 PM
A boolit that gets rubbed smooth on one side usually indicates an out-of-round boolit. Take some measurements with a micrometer 90* from each other, and that should tell you if the boolits are round. If not, get another mold, they are inexpensive for a reason. Slug your bore, too. If tight enough, you may be able to size the boolit down a bit more, thereby making the boolit more round. Someone with a bit more knowledge may chime in.

mehavey
08-29-2020, 05:46 PM
FWIW:
- Forget the silicone spray. Just lightly grease thumb/forefinger w/ case lube (hopefully not 1-Shot) and rub bullet upon pick-up.
- Size one side more than the other --> Out-of-Round to start with.

Drew P
08-29-2020, 05:51 PM
FWIW:
- Forget the silicone spray. Just lightly grease thumb/forefinger w/ case lube (hopefully not 1-Shot) and rub bullet upon pick-up.
- Size one side more than the other --> Out-of-Round to start with.whats wrong with one-shot? I use it a lot when sizing bullets. Give the pile a spray and it seems to keep everything happy without making things gummy.

onelight
08-29-2020, 06:01 PM
Is your mold lining up properly when closed ?

Slingin'Lead
08-29-2020, 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will definitely try eliminating the silicone.

I know the sizing die is good as I've sized and shot several hundred boolits that have passed through it.

No light shows between the blocks when it's closed. As a matter of fact, this particular mold is great to cast with. The boolits litteraly drop out when the handles are open. I did get things too hot however. It's VERY easy to get this one really hot as I'm sure you're all well aware. Had some extremely frosted boolits.

Czech_too
08-30-2020, 06:27 AM
If this is a mould which you haven't used previously, then I'm of the opinion that it's out of round. Checking the dropped boolits with a micrometer or calipers should give a definitive answer.

prs
08-30-2020, 09:36 AM
I, too, was thinking out of round booits. I wondered if you had accidently Beagled your mold with some lead splash. Other than that I would just have WAGs.

Now, I may have missed some basic education; why lube lead boolits when resizing through a Lee push through die? I have not tried that and have no probem sliding through either naked lead or coated lead through a Lee push through die. When using powder coated bullets, I only size after coating. Typically, I am sizing "nominal" .452" bullets that have had powder coat through a .454" die, or "nominal" .428" bullets that are coated throuh a .430" die or similar.

I like my cast lead alloy bullets to have some frost, I get this unfounded notion that such in some way "helps" the powder coating adhere. That is probably a false notion, but, its there. ;-)

prs

jsizemore
08-30-2020, 09:59 AM
Use a mic to measure on each side of the parting line. Your alignment pins on the mold may not be out enough to keep the blocks aligned. It should be a slight interference fit. Running your blocks hot can let those pins move. Learning to regulate the mold temp is the thing. You should cut the sprue not tear it out.

mdi
08-30-2020, 11:17 AM
If just one side of the bullets are being sized, then that side/diameter is fatter than the side not getting sized. Aka; bullet out of round. If it's just a few thousandths and the unsized portion isn't undersize, I wouldn't worry too much. But if you're like many of us you will need an answer, so some of the hints above and double checking your mold/methods/temps/alloys will be a good start...

Slingin'Lead
08-30-2020, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys. I know I ran the mold too hot. I'd never casted that small/light of a boolit before and I guess I got caught up in the excitement of dropping so many boolits without having to beat the tar out of the handle bolt.

I measured several bullets as has been recommended and I'm getting .359 all the way around. I checked my sizing die again under better light and it sure looks like I have a rough spot. Feel like an idiot adding that information this far into the discussion.

Czech_too
08-30-2020, 05:32 PM
There's a learning curve to all of this, so you could consider this part of it.

OJT (on the job training) is IMO the best way to learn, sometimes.

Bloodman14
08-30-2020, 07:41 PM
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Adding information as you go only helps us to determine the issue and help you solve it. That's what we're here for.

Slingin'Lead
08-30-2020, 09:01 PM
Thanks again for all your help.

mdi
08-31-2020, 11:18 AM
I've seen it a few times, probably here at castboolits; "The only way to learn to cast bullets is to cast bullets"...

swheeler
08-31-2020, 11:49 AM
Slingin' Lead, maybe check to make sure your sizer hasn't leaded up that would do it. If it has get it all scrubbed out and polished up then used some lube on bullets from first pass.

Slingin'Lead
08-31-2020, 11:57 AM
I will definitely try de-leading it. I read that 50/50 peroxide and white vinegar work well for removing lead. Maybe I will try that.

I was thinking about this problem again last night and wondered if, maybe, I'm sizing too far in one pass? Like I mentioned earlier, this mold is dropping boolits at .359-.360 and I'm sizing to a hair under .357 with this particular sizing die. Do you guys think that could be possible?

mattw
08-31-2020, 12:18 PM
That is not to far to downsize, at least it has not been for me. Really sounds like an out of round cavity or mould.

Slingin'Lead
08-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Here's an update that sure makes the bad cavity idea make sense. I cleaned the die and went ahead and sized a few more and most were sized evenly around the entire boolit. The grooves are still being squeezed smooth but it's pretty much even.

I made up a dummy round and got it to plunk at 1.020 in the Lone Wolf barrel out of my Glock 17. I have 1 other Glock with a Lone Wolf and 2 others with stock barrels.