PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 - it's days are numbered

sackettboys
08-29-2020, 01:18 PM
I've been in contact with Lyman customer service trying to get a part for the Lyman 55 powder measure, the washer that sits on top of the screw clamp. A simple fix one would think. I had ordered the assembly, (that's what Lyman call it) since it consists of 3 parts, the screw clamp, the washer and C clip. When I got the box, only the screw clamp was in the package. A call to customer service revealed that yes all 3 parts should have been in the package and they would get back to me.

I ended up having to send the powder measure body to Lyman so they could install a new one since that "old" style parts were no longer in stock. The "new" style I was told required a peening process to install. Since all my 55's are of the 70s or older variety I have no idea of what the new 55s look like. When I got my part back lo and behold it had an "old" style washer! Go figure...

The entire process from the time I originally ordered the parts to the time I received my powder measure body took 8 weeks. To their credit Lyman customer service called me back every time but what a trying experience. In my conversations with customer service it was revealed that they plan on stopping production of the 55 powder measure by the time of the next Shot Show and would dedicate that machinery to the Brass Smith powder measure. But because they are backed up due to the Covid (the factory was shutdown for about a month) that leaves little time to produce parts. I was my understanding they have very little stock on hand so things may get dicey for anybody needing parts.

Ozark mike
08-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Well crap. Why discontinue a product that half of everyone who reloads uses. As far as i know its one of the best throwers on the market (dont know about the newer ones)

BigAlofPa.
08-29-2020, 02:07 PM
I have the brass smith. Im very happy with it.

smithnframe
08-29-2020, 02:34 PM
I have 3 60's vintage 55's and they are my workhorses! I've heard the new Lyman stuff is made in China!

Shawlerbrook
08-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Thank God there are many old ones still around.

bob15
08-29-2020, 05:13 PM
I've heard the new Lyman stuff is made in China!

Might want to have a look at their catalog. I see most of their stuff is US-made, including both their powder measures. Some of their US-made stuff isn't marked in their catalog, but is US-made such as the scale checking weight set. Looking on e-bay, it shows Smith powder measures with "made in USA" on the box.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/user_manuals/user/?action=catalog

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012880550

Chill Wills
08-29-2020, 05:46 PM
Anyone know where the name for their product line comes from, "Brass Smith"?
Or wondering, maybe if you are a handloader, a maker of cartridges, you are a brass smith???

GOPHER SLAYER
08-29-2020, 06:20 PM
I have five of the 55 measures, some are orange and some grey. I hope they keep making them. I made need parts at some future date.

Green Frog
08-30-2020, 03:36 PM
I think you guys answered your own question. Over the last 70 or so years they’ve made about a half a bajillion of the #55s. The market is pretty much saturated with plenty of spares available. The plan is introduce a flashy new item so that those of us with the attention span of a goldfish will want to buy one in spite of the fact we already have several older ones.

Froggie

Pressman
09-01-2020, 02:05 PM
The Lyman customer service person screwed up and let out information that is not yet ready for public announcement. The 55 is still in production.
The new Brass Smith line of presses and powder measure are current Lyman production. Lyman added another company under their banner, Mark 7 and the Brass Smith tools are from them.

1hole
09-01-2020, 02:47 PM
I have long believed Lyman's old 55 measure is the best, most versatile measure available IF the user takes the time to understand the three adjustments; sadly, not many people will do that these days. That's why costly auto-dumpers have become so popular.

44magLeo
09-02-2020, 03:07 PM
I have a spare set of the clamp parts. Came in a lot of stuff. I wanted some of the other parts and the price was good even without these extra parts.
I think I'll keep them around.
Anyone needing parts might want to buy some extra 55's for the parts.
I have three. I keep one with the large drop tube, one with a small. The third was got because the price was right.
Leo

too many things
09-02-2020, 04:39 PM
they will never go away
its the best on market

Ozark mike
09-02-2020, 04:46 PM
they will never go away
its the best on market

Oh i imagine thell quit making em that will just drive the price up on the used market

doulos
09-05-2020, 12:11 AM
I might be in the minority but I am not that fond of my 55. Its great with some powders. But I have trouble with fine powders like AA5. I never had that issue with RCBS measure or my Dillons.

Three44s
09-05-2020, 12:20 AM
I have a 55 that needs both drop tubes but that is all. I see from their parts online page they do not sell very many parts for this iconic measure but drop tubes are still listed as available.

Three44s

Ozark mike
09-05-2020, 12:22 AM
I wont part with mine ever greatest thing since sliced bread and 44-40s the reason they dont sell many parts is because its good ole american craftmanship unlike the crap flooding in from china

alamogunr
09-06-2020, 10:03 AM
I just went to the Lyman site to investigate replacement parts for the 55. All I could find was a diagram titled #55 Classic Black Powder Measure. Are the parts the same?

robg
09-06-2020, 11:11 AM
used mine since 82 never broken/worn out anything. so i dont worry that i will need any spares any time soon.

jaguarxk120
09-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Funny thing, nobody complains about powder leaking!
Or how they had to lap the powder drum so it will operate right.
Or how they put a cookie sheet under it to catch leaking powder!

But the Lyman 55 is used for the base for custom bench rest measure's !!

MT Chambers
09-06-2020, 12:18 PM
A few years back a magazine did a comparison of most powder measures including Harrels, Belding, etc. Of all the measures the Lyman 55 came out on top.

Ozark mike
09-06-2020, 01:28 PM
I just went to the Lyman site to investigate replacement parts for the 55. All I could find was a diagram titled #55 Classic Black Powder Measure. Are the parts the same?

Id like to know this also because i think mine might be a old bp measure seeings how the scale corresponds pretty close to the amount thrown with bp

jonp
09-06-2020, 02:23 PM
I've got a gray one I never use and was thinking of selling. Nothing is in production forever

KenT7021
09-06-2020, 03:12 PM
The black powder measure uses a threaded aluminum reservoir and the body of the measure is threaded to fit.The same design as the early 55's.No other differences.The standard measure is on page 2 of the Lyman parts listing

Ozark mike
09-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Mine looks older than the dawn of civilization maybe someone put a plastic reservoir on it who knows

Pressman
09-06-2020, 05:35 PM
All 55's have a plastic hopper, except the modern model specifically made for black powder and still in production. All 55's use the same calibration markings and have done so since 1903.
You can swap the rotator drum from a 1903 #5 into a #55 with no fitting problems, It has not changed in all those years.

Ken

Ozark mike
09-06-2020, 09:53 PM
All 55's have a plastic hopper, except the modern model specifically made for black powder and still in production. All 55's use the same calibration markings and have done so since 1903.
You can swap the rotator drum from a 1903 #5 into a #55 with no fitting problems, It has not changed in all those years.

Ken

Thats good to know. Thought about getting a culver barrel for mine but really aint necessary just a convenience more or less

44magLeo
09-07-2020, 05:09 PM
The 55 has three slides. When you slide out all three and look at the markings on the bottom of the largest slide, those are BP markings in drams.
The markings on the other two slides are for the finer tuning required for smokeless powders.
On most charges I weigh one out on the scale. I then pull all three slides out. I pour this weighed charge into the measure, Wiggle and tap the measure so all the powder goes down into the slides.
Now I push all three slides in and watch the powder. As the slides move the powder humps up as the slides compress the powder. Once the powder gets about level with the drum I lock the slides.
Mount the measure and pour in powder, dump a few chargers to settle the powder, then weigh a charge. It should be close to what you want. If not coarse adjustments of all three slides till the charge is just below the charge you want. Fine tune with the two small slides.
If you know the charge is small enough you can use just the two top slides at the start.
I have found this is about the easiest way to set the 55 up.
Leo

Ozark mike
09-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Mine has grains and drams on the big bbl which correspond close but not exactly to what my beam scale says with fffg goex

Jsm180
09-08-2020, 07:49 AM
Here is the link to the 55 standard measure https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/scales-measures/55-standard-powder-measure

44magLeo
09-12-2020, 05:23 PM
I just had a thought, if your measure is missing the stock clamp washer, take the screw to a hardware store. Find a clip to fit the screw. Find a washer to fit on the screw against the shoulder. Find a larger washer with a center hole large enough the clip fit inside.
"Glue" the washers together to resemble the stock washers. A good use for JB Weld.
On the small washer you may have to find a bit of scrap steel and make one. A regular washer to fit on the screw may be to small. it may fit through the hole. One that size may be to thin and bend when you tighten the screw.
Finding a bit thicker bit of scrap that won't bend and drilling it out and making it the right OD to match the bigger washer might be better.
Leo