PDA

View Full Version : Single actions bust my knuckle

blueeyephil
08-28-2020, 02:56 PM
I've owned 4 Ruger single actions along the way. A couple of 44 mags, a 357 and now the Single Seven in 327 Federal. I have not enjoyed any of them with full house loads because they beat the heck out of my knuckle. However I can use 44 specials, 38 specials or 32 H&R mags and be ok.

Is it my technique? Or is that the norm? I did put an ugly rubber grip on the 357 and it pretty much resolved the problem. But yuck.

I have a Colt Tropper Mk III double action 357 and don't have that issue. Maybe I'm just a double action guy. But I really like the looks of the single actions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ozark mike
08-28-2020, 03:04 PM
I gave my mom my 5 in 44 mag cause she liked it but bought a Hogue rubber grip cause it would bite her. Ive heard lots of people have this problem. My bfr doesent bother my knuckles but i have sprained my wrist with it but that was because i locked my elbow with a retarded load

megasupermagnum
08-28-2020, 03:14 PM
It is normal. The shape of the grip is designed to loose control. I don't like them.

If you don't like rubber, Hogue makes a number of wood grips in the same design as their rubber grips. You can get them smooth, checkered, with or with out finger grooves, multiple wood types, etc. The non-finger groove, checkered grips are great for me.

OldBearHair
08-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Same problem with my .357 Ruger Police special. Both of my middle fingers have bad arthritus to where I can not make a fist. The knuckle of the middle finger rests hard against the trigger guard and gets banged badly at the shot. Ten years ago I could tell you the name of the rubber grip that kept me able to shoot well with no pain. There are some people in Oklahoma and New Mexico and Texas that can attest to my shooting well. Pigs and jack rabbits at 70 yards. Been there done that. Hey I am approaching 86 in January. Leaving in the morning to go to Albuquerque then on to Cuba turn toward Lindreth, to Dead Man's Peak/ Gallina peak to bowhunt the majestic Elk. They walk directly under the tree stand I will be in fairly regularly. My hunting partner since 1967 lives in Albuquerque and scouts the area for me. Poor guy didn't draw a tag this year. We will have seven people in camp, only three legal hunters and four support guys. I won't even have to cook. I am shooting one inch MOA at 40 yards, first shot of the practice with
approximately 30% chance of messing up. LOL
As we age it seems that we have to give up this or that and we need to keep being positive and work out the problems as they come our way. I have friends in the past that seemed to just give up that didn't last long.

megasupermagnum
08-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Ruger Old Army, not a heavy recoiling gun, but this grip works great on the big stuff too.

https://i.ibb.co/F4PvVsh/0828201431.jpg

Bazoo
08-28-2020, 03:35 PM
One handed, there is no way around it other than rubber grips. However, two handed it's easy to manage the recoil with the wood panels if thought is given to the grip required. The grip I use is primary hand is as normal, but the off hand first finger is bent to support under the trigger guard and not behind it. I removed the sharp heel on my short barrel SBH. Rather have a bare spot than a sharp spot. That rounded trigger guard will bite the off hand if the grip I describe isn't used, and I've taken to it for all revolver use. My limiting factor is my wrists. But I've learned you don't shoot long sessions of magnums.

OutHuntn84
08-28-2020, 03:42 PM
You just need a different set of grips.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-28-2020, 05:19 PM
Yep, I too love full (plus a ‘lil) loads in my single actions. Consumption of said loads are relegated to diligent use such as long range shooting.

Single actions are my favorite firearms. For closer work I load them down and can shoot until it’s time to quit for reasons other than a sore middle knuckle.

I have a load for Skovill’s RCBS 45 270 SAA boolit that is comfortable too.

The little bombs I have in the cylinder for carrying are not the same as plinking loads.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-28-2020, 05:23 PM
Same problem here. I also don't like the looks of the rubber grips on single actions, but concede that they do work well. I have found that if I drop my grip down just a bit so that the little finger is just under the butt it helps with the problem.

BigAlofPa.
08-28-2020, 05:54 PM
The rubber grips help a lot. Not as nice in appearance as wood, But they save the knuckles.

blueeyephil
08-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone. Might just look for a SP101 if we ever see the market ever stabilizes.

lscg45
08-28-2020, 06:24 PM
Have you tried a Bisley grip frame? For most folks they are more comfortable when shooting stout calibers/loads. That's the main reason most custom big bore Rugers are built on a Bisley.

blueeyephil
08-28-2020, 06:31 PM
Have you tried a Bisley grip frame? For most folks they are more comfortable when shooting stout calibers/loads. That's the main reason most custom big bore Rugers are built on a Bisley.No I haven't. Never used one. Are they more like a double action grip?

DougGuy
08-28-2020, 06:44 PM
One of the SIMPLEST and cheapest things you can do is wrap a single turn of stretchy bandage around the middle finger knuckle, you can shoot full house loads all day with this. See my knuckle after only 10 rounds from a Birdshead Vaquero in 45 Colt with full house H110 loads? One wrap of the bandage prevents it.

266941 266940

gnostic
08-28-2020, 07:08 PM
Look into a kevlar shooting glove, all large caliber handguns beat me up. The single action are the worst, but double action will beat you up. It just takes longer, more rounds.

lscg45
08-28-2020, 07:20 PM
No I haven't. Never used one. Are they more like a double action grip?

well kind of. there's more room behind the trigger guard and it doesn't flair out as much at the butt.

https://i.imgur.com/qQJilaH.jpg

blueeyephil
08-28-2020, 08:11 PM
One of the SIMPLEST and cheapest things you can do is wrap a single turn of stretchy bandage around the middle finger knuckle, you can shoot full house loads all day with this. See my knuckle after only 10 rounds from a Birdshead Vaquero in 45 Colt with full house H110 loads? One wrap of the bandage prevents it.

266941 266940Thanks, I believe I'll try that. Cheap and easy.

gpidaho
08-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Pardon the drift but, I have never fired a handgun of ANY type that will beat your middle finger knuckle quite like a T/C Encore in 454 Casull.Gp

44MAG#1
08-28-2020, 08:39 PM
Pardon the drift but, I have never fired a handgun of ANY type that will beat your middle finger knuckle quite like a T/C Encore in 454 Casull.Gp

Your firing hand or support hand????

gpidaho
08-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Your firing hand or support hand???? Firing hand. Made my knuckle bleed more than once. Painful even wearing a shooting glove. That firearm went down the road. Gp

swheeler
08-28-2020, 08:57 PM

TC Contender in 444 Marlin shooting 265 Hornady and full load H335, 458 Win in 7.5 pound mauser, 500 gr Hornadys and 74 gr IMR 4895 and some idiot put a sling swivel in the tiny splinter forearm of the stock, by 3rd round fore finger of left hand pouring blood, middle finger of right hand "Stone Bruised", ah come on finish the other 47 rounds or you ain't got a hair! :bigsmyl2: Gotta love the good ole days!

DougGuy
08-28-2020, 09:00 PM
well kind of. there's more room behind the trigger guard and it doesn't flair out as much at the butt.

https://i.imgur.com/qQJilaH.jpg

Actually, the Bisley may abate more recoil because of how the back of the grip frame contacts the palm, but in reality the Bisley grip frame is the shortest distance between the back of the trigger guard and the front/inside of the grip frame, the XR3 RED is next, and the most distance goes to the SBH. If you look at all the Ruger SA grip shapes superimposed on one another you will see what I mean:

Photo courtesy Jeff Quinn/Boge Quinn.

swheeler
08-28-2020, 09:14 PM
The Ruger BH I shoot now rolls up in my hand with heavy loads. It doesn't take many rounds of RanchDog 190 gr(195 actually) with enough LilGun or H110 to get 1150 fps to make me say "enough". I put a set of Pachmyer on my Super BH, still org wood on ,357 since 84.

44MAG#1
08-28-2020, 09:18 PM
Firing hand. Made my knuckle bleed more than once. Painful even wearing a shooting glove. That firearm went down the road. Gp

How did it do that? How were you holding it?

contender1
08-28-2020, 09:55 PM
As you can see by the many varied posts here,, there is NOT a single answer, or fix.
In general,, different people have different hand sizes, as well as how they grip anything.
No one design works for everybody.
BUT,,,,,,,,,, as an instructor,, and a serious fan of the SA handgun, I can attest to a few facts.
One,, MAYBE,, it is possible you are using a wrong gripping method. Have you studied the idea of getting a qualified instructor of SA handguns to see if they can help? Over gripping,, or fighting the recoil can easily cause pains. It's a physics thing.

Next,, if you do have a good grip method,, have you considered a different design?
The Bisley design,, as well as modified Bisley designs have a pretty good following among serious handgunners,, who shoot heavy recoiling handguns. There is a reason why,,,,,,,,,,,,,! It works to prevent knuckle busting under heavy recoil for many! Look into the serious handgunners, who hunt with a heavy recoiling handgun, and see what THEY prefer. Look into the custom gunmakers websites & books, and you will see a trend,, when looking at the heavy stuff.

Have you considered the possibility of custom grips that are made to fit YOUR hands? It's another option, that can solve the problem.

Without seeing how you shoot, it's hard to diagnose why you have the knuckle busting.

Oh,, I LOVE it when a guy comes to me to sell me a heavy caliber Ruger SA,, because it "kicks too much!" Bought several that way,, cheap!

So, do the studying & research,, and if possible,, get a good instructor to assist you.

Ozark mike
08-28-2020, 10:08 PM
I too prefer the plowshare over any other style

LAH
08-28-2020, 10:58 PM
I had the problem for years & this is how handle it.

https://youtu.be/4-P843VOPz8

Walks
08-28-2020, 11:38 PM
It doesn't seem to matter to me.
I grew up shooting Colt SAA's and Ruger Blackhawks.
Shot Colt's with .45Colt and Keith .44Spl loads.
The Ruger's in .357Mag, .44Mag And SBH in .44Mag.
Preferred the SBH Grip Frame for it's extra 1/2" of length.
Had one of the 1st Bisley's in .44Mag back in the 1980's.
Didn't seem to make a difference to me.
Currently have a NM's in .357 - 6 1/2" and .45Colt - 4 5/8's. Fitted with SBH Grip Frames. A pair of SBH's, both with the Dragoon style grip frames. 7 1/2" & 5 1/2" HB.
I have a set of Herret's grips for SBH, never cared for them. Same with a set of Hogue's, they push my middle knuckle forward to get whacked by the triggerguard. And they're hard to use, my fingers are too big.

I'll just stick with plain frame fitting grip panels, that let the Revolver roll up in my hand the way it was designed.

dhom
08-29-2020, 05:47 AM
One solution for knuckle busters comes from Jack Huntingdon @ JRH Gunsmithing. He redesigns your grip frame to get more "knuckle" room.

alfadan
08-29-2020, 11:12 AM
I found a nice set of rosewood finger groove grips for SBH .44. They fill in the gap behind the trigger guard and make it much more controllable and look great. Can even shoot it one-handed now.

lar45
08-29-2020, 01:21 PM
Brownells used to carry a finger recoil pad that was a padded elastic ring that slipped over your finger. I was going to take a picture for you, but couldn't find where I put mine.
I did a google search, but this was the only one I could come up with.
https://www.mackspw.com/Creative-South-Bird-Finger-Guard
https://www.mackspw.com/site/Images/Products%20-%20NEW/BF100GUARD+Olive%20Green-01.jpg

I'm not sure how far North you are, but I have pretty much one of everything if you want to try different grip frames. I'm halfway between Beebe and Lonoke and have a short range in the front yard.
The Bisley grip frame on a 500 Linebaugh doesn't bite my finger, but the BFR in 500 JRH does. The BFR grip frame is really close to a SBH but has a rounded trigger gaurd instead.

blueeyephil
08-29-2020, 04:00 PM
Brownells used to carry a finger recoil pad that was a padded elastic ring that slipped over your finger. I was going to take a picture for you, but couldn't find where I put mine.
I did a google search, but this was the only one I could come up with.
https://www.mackspw.com/Creative-South-Bird-Finger-Guard
https://www.mackspw.com/site/Images/Products%20-%20NEW/BF100GUARD+Olive%20Green-01.jpg

I'm not sure how far North you are, but I have pretty much one of everything if you want to try different grip frames. I'm halfway between Beebe and Lonoke and have a short range in the front yard.
The Bisley grip frame on a 500 Linebaugh doesn't bite my finger, but the BFR in 500 JRH does. The BFR grip frame is really close to a SBH but has a rounded trigger gaurd instead.Wow, never heard of anything like that.

I live in Yellville so a hour and a half or two away I'd guess. Thanks for the offer. Don't know when I might be able to, but I'll keep you in mind.

tazman
08-29-2020, 05:10 PM
I have the same issue as the OP. I always read these threads because I like the feel of a single action in my hand and the looks of the gun.
Currently, I can have as much fun pounding on my fingers with a ball pein hammer as shooting a single action.
I would like to find someone within 100 miles of the quad cities in Illinois/Iowa that has a bisley grip on a revolver that would let me visit and try it out.
I live about 40 miles south of there.

elmacgyver0
08-29-2020, 05:40 PM
What would be so wrong with just loading them a little lighter?
That's what I do.
If I think I'm going to run into a Grizzly I will load the heavy ones.

GL49
08-29-2020, 05:52 PM
I gave my mom my 5 in 44 mag cause she liked it but bought a Hogue rubber grip cause it would bite her. Ive heard lots of people have this problem. My bfr doesent bother my knuckles but i have sprained my wrist with it but that was because i locked my elbow with a retarded load

I need to change your wording to fit my situation, though I didn't sprain my wrist.

"My SBH bothers my knuckles, but that was because retarded I locked my elbow with a load"

Go you you-tube, search for John Linebaugh and see how he shoots the big boys. Works for me, but my SBH with the Dragoon triggerguard will still get me once in a while if I'm not careful, the Bisley grips on my Ruger 454, 480 and Linebaugh 475, no. Lightweight, skintight, Maxiflex gloves also made heavy loads much more manageable.

alamogunr
08-29-2020, 07:55 PM
One solution for knuckle busters comes from Jack Huntingdon @ JRH Gunsmithing. He redesigns your grip frame to get more "knuckle" room.

The reforming of the grip frame does work. I had a new model Blackhawk(square back trigger guard) that made my middle finger look just like DougGuy's, if not worse. I sent it to Jack Huntingdon and had it converted into a 5 shot .45 Colt. He also furnished the stocks for the reformed frame. I've shot it with much heavier loads than a .44 Magnum without all the pain. Looks a lot better too!

Cosmic_Charlie
08-29-2020, 08:23 PM
Full on magnum loads can do that. Best to practice with medium loads and save the full power stuff for big game.

Bazoo
08-29-2020, 08:59 PM
Changing grip panels to checkered wood, or something like buffalo horn or stag should help control because those are more tacky than wood.

44MAG#1
08-29-2020, 09:12 PM
Simple solution comes in the form of band aids and/or tape. Too much over thinking. Tape or band aid and shoot on.

smkummer
08-29-2020, 09:20 PM
Everything said above. Original colt bisleys feel good under recoil. Colt SAAs I let roll. Heaviest is a colt 7 1/2 NF 44 special with the Kieth load. It’s only reserved for less than once a year. Skeeter load so much more enjoyable. I have several Colt double actions with both factory and pachmayr stocks that tame .357 quite well. True that be told, standard ammunition gets shot so much more than magnum and it’s so much more fun.

Dale53
09-01-2020, 08:44 PM
I solved the recoil problem on both double and single actions with simply using Pachmayr grips on all. I flat don’t care how they look. The object is to hit what I’m aiming at without pain. Pachmayr does it for me!

Dale53

Tripplebeards
09-01-2020, 09:26 PM
I use to wrap my fingers like Doug but now just wear gloves when shooting my 329NG 44 mag. It’s guaranteed to rip the skin right off your knuckles on the first shot. I call it the blood gun. I put a couple hundred rounds through it this past summer and the gloves saved my knuckles. After a good 100 rounds of feels like I just got off the ocean with motion sickness. That little titanium P shooter really rocks me.

blueeyephil
09-01-2020, 10:19 PM
I use to wrap my fingers like Doug but now just wear gloves when shooting my 329NG 44 mag. It’s guaranteed to rip the skin right off your knuckles on the first shot. I call it the blood gun. I put a couple hundred rounds through it this past summer and the gloves saved my knuckles. After a good 100 rounds of feels like I just got off the ocean with motion sickness. That little titanium P shooter really rocks me.Sounds like you are a glutton for punishment.

MT Gianni
09-03-2020, 01:50 PM
A good shooting glove is great to have. Mine are 25 year old PAST's but cover my fingers and pad the palm.

BamaNapper
09-03-2020, 02:58 PM
I can't say it better than post #27, the video post from LAH. Thanks for the video.

I started shooting 44mag about 45 years ago when I bought a new model SBH with a 7.5" barrel. It beat me up for a couple years until someone showed me how to hang onto it. As LAH shows, the SBH has small grips and the trick is to curl the pinkie finger of your shooting hand below the grip. Yes, that means you've only got 2 fingers wrapped around the wood, but that's enough. With this grip the pistol can't rotate up in your hand so it plants against your palm and your grip stays tight. If your grip and wrist are firm the recoil is taken up mostly by your elbow, lifting and rolling the pistol up and left. I've even had youth shooting the magnum loads with this grip and never a sore knuckle.

Now the same load in a Contender is a different story. The grip is too large to get my pinkie under it. It rotates in my hand, loosening my grip, then the tang on the trigger guard comes back and bites me. I had a Dan Wesson 44mag with a large frame and grips that I tried everything to control with no success. I tried rubber grips, gloves, and a number of different holds. I still have the Contender for hunting but the DW is long gone.

FergusonTO35
09-08-2020, 10:10 AM
I have thick fingers and even mild cartridgess can hurt if the trigger guard is pressed right into my finger. I bucked the current trend of jamming as much of the grip into your hand and now allow the pistol or revolver to sit rather high in the hand. This not only creates clearance for the middle finger but also helps press the trigger straight back. My groups instantly improved when I started doing this.

engineer401
09-11-2020, 11:11 PM
I have thick fingers and even mild cartridgess can hurt if the trigger guard is pressed right into my finger. I bucked the current trend of jamming as much of the grip into your hand and now allow the pistol or revolver to sit rather high in the hand. This not only creates clearance for the middle finger but also helps press the trigger straight back. My groups instantly improved when I started doing this.

I do the same thing. I never thought it though. I just wanted to hold on at the fattest part of the grip.

barnabus
09-14-2020, 06:42 AM
another reason not to buy a Ruger. Sell it off and buy a Smith or Colt

Ozark mike
09-14-2020, 06:48 AM
I dont think i could ever put colt or smith above ruger that sounds crazy

tazman
09-14-2020, 09:40 AM
I dont think i could ever put colt or smith above ruger that sounds crazy

I don't have any problem doing that. My experiences with Ruger(several) have not been good.
My experiences with S&W have all been positive except one.

Drm50
09-14-2020, 09:57 AM
I got my Ruger SBH when I was a kid because it beat owners knuckles. A guy my Dad worked with won SBH and only fired it a few times. My dad was always fascinated with SBH but had no use for a 44mg. Dad bought it for $50, a tidy sum in 1962. It bit Dad too. I inherited it with over half original box of ammo. That’s why I got a 44mg before I got a 22. I have small hands and it never bothered me. It is the only handgun I own that fires nothing but heavy magnum loads. It’s my deer gun. It bites most people but I can’t help it if they got fat fingers.

Thumbcocker
09-14-2020, 01:45 PM
No fair body shaming fingers.

John in WYO
09-14-2020, 06:06 PM
And this guy handles Heavy-recoiling Single Actions well, too.

https://youtu.be/5DZdfdAuxCA

engineer401
09-14-2020, 11:39 PM
I don't have any problem doing that. My experiences with Ruger(several) have not been good.
My experiences with S&W have all been positive except one.

I too have better luck with the S and W double action revolvers. I've not had great experiences with the Ruger double actions had terrific ones with the Blackhawks and Single Sixes.

tazman
09-15-2020, 12:39 AM
I have worked with 3 different Blackhawks, 2 GP100s, a couple of Mark IIs, and two single sixes, all with less than stellar to pitiful performance. I also had a couple of model 77 rifles that were mediocre shooters.
I currently own a Security six and a Service Six that shoot very well. These are the only two Ruger handguns that work really well for me.
I know Ruger makes guns that work and shoot well. I have heard many people talk about how well they work for them. I just can't seem to get them to work for me.

I had one S&W N frame that had to go back and have the forcing cone recut because it was shaving lead new from the factory. That was around 1975.
Other than that one, all my S&W revolvers have been very good to superb.

megasupermagnum
09-15-2020, 12:07 PM
And this guy handles Heavy-recoiling Single Actions well, too.

https://youtu.be/5DZdfdAuxCA

Pointing the barrel straight behind you is handling the recoil well? So much for muzzle control.

alamogunr
09-17-2020, 09:07 AM
I have a pair of Past shooting gloves. Have had for several years. I didn't use them much for awhile because recoil didn't bother me that much except for the Blackhawk w/square back trigger guard. Now I use them for shooting midrange loads of the .45 Colt and .475 L.

Because they are no longer available, I read all the posts about things that work for others. Recently, I got an email from Duluth Trading about sale items. I don't buy their stuff except when it is seriously marked down. Anyway, I found some gloves they called "framer gloves". I haven't had a chance to try them out but they seem like they might work. Thought I would pass it on.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-dt-leather-framer-gloves-70266.html

lar45
09-18-2020, 02:52 PM
Pointing the barrel straight behind you is handling the recoil well? So much for muzzle control.

That was a 500 Linebaugh with one hand.
Looks like he did just fine.

megasupermagnum
09-18-2020, 08:06 PM
That was a 500 Linebaugh with one hand.
Looks like he did just fine.

Better than me for sure, but I sure wouldn't want to see something like that on a shooting range. Get two hands on it.

DougGuy
09-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Better than me for sure, but I sure wouldn't want to see something like that on a shooting range. Get two hands on it.

Huh? It's a SINGLE action not a semi auto.

megasupermagnum
09-18-2020, 08:29 PM
All I'm saying is if you can't shoot without hitting yourself in the head, or worse, pointing it at others, then you need to find another way.

44MAG#1
09-18-2020, 09:14 PM

Looks like to me he was in control. John Linebaugh has forgotten more than most of us will ever know.

LAH
09-18-2020, 10:48 PM
Understand the concern but John wasn't on a range.

Don Purcell
09-18-2020, 10:52 PM
Huh? It's a SINGLE action not a semi auto.

Exactly! I would have NO problem shooting with John Linebaugh with ANYTHING.

GL49
09-18-2020, 11:47 PM
Looks like to me he was in control. John Linebaugh has forgotten more than most of us will ever know.

Yep. Wouldn't it be great just to know what he's forgotten? Or spend an afternoon at the range with him? You can bet he knows exactly what's behind him when he shoots, and that revolver was never out of control.

LAH
09-19-2020, 09:57 AM

Want to be sure I haven't offended our friend from Minnesota. If I was at a range with that kind of thing going on I would most likely leave especially if I didn't know the guy doing the shooting. So your point isn't lost on me.

Tripplebeards
09-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Hers my 2.5” 329NG 44 mag. If you want to bust knuckles stop by and give it a try.

https://i.imgur.com/EOJ5QNB.jpg

44MAG#1
09-19-2020, 10:39 AM
Want to be sure I haven't offended our friend from Minnesota. If I was at a range with that kind of thing going on I would most likely leave especially if I didn't know the guy doing the shooting. So your point isn't lost on me.

I played the video in slow motion. The barrel went to maybe a 45 degree angle pointed behind him. Unless someone was 7 to 8 feet tall standing very close behind him there would be no danger. I ve been around alot of the people that screams about things like this and they turned out to be the most careless of the bunch. The squeaky wheel syndrome.

alamogunr
09-19-2020, 12:23 PM
I've been watching that video every so often for several years. It is how I learned to handle the recoil from my Linebaugh .475 L. I only shoot it when I am alone at the range. Easier for me since I'm retired. If someone shows up while I'm there, I pack up the .475 and get out a .45 Colt or .45 ACP.

BTW, When I shot the .475 before I watched the video, I never buried the front sight in my forehead.

44MAG#1
09-19-2020, 12:28 PM
I've been watching that video every so often for several years. It is how I learned to handle the recoil from my Linebaugh .475 L. I only shoot it when I am alone at the range. Easier for me since I'm retired. If someone shows up while I'm there, I pack up the .475 and get out a .45 Colt or .45 ACP.

BTW, When I shot the .475 before I watched the video, I never buried the front sight in my forehead.

I've shot some horrible recoiling handguns and have never had recoil bury the front sight in my head even before we had a computer to watch videos on.

alamogunr
09-19-2020, 12:34 PM
I only posted that because I didn't want to be criticized for shooting a single action with only one hand. BTW, a 5 shot .45 Colt has quite a bit of recoil too if loaded to its potential.

Tripplebeards
09-19-2020, 12:37 PM
When first bought my mark19 desert eagle 50 ae it would literally recoil to point about 3 o‘clock pointing in back of me over my shoulder before I knew I had to really hold onto it. I got rid of that expensive brushed chrome paperweight with its 44 mag and 50 ae barrels 20 years ago and bought a quad runner with the proceeds. Was had to justify the $2500 investment (with leupold gilmore dot sights on both barrels)when my $499 NIB 44 mag anaconda shot circles around it...still have that one.

44MAG#1
09-19-2020, 12:40 PM
I only posted that because I didn't want to be criticized for shooting a single action with only one hand. BTW, a 5 shot .45 Colt has quite a bit of recoil too if loaded to its potential.

I will occasionally shoot a single action one handed. Why not? I have been shooting one hand quite a bit lately. One should be able to shoot one handed or two handed if one wants too.

Texas by God
09-19-2020, 06:12 PM
These days it seems like I shoot all handguns better with just my dominant hand. 45 years of ingrained Weaver/Cooper two handed shooting is tough to fight against; but here I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tazman
09-19-2020, 08:55 PM
I was a member of a pistol club in Macomb Il for a short time. We shot some target matches(slow, timed, and rapid fire). I once took a 44 mag Blackhawk and shot it during the match. It was all one handed.
I almost didn't have time to finish the rapid fire sequence. It took time to pull the gun back down after firing full power loads.
Back then, my hands and fingers were much smaller and didn't have arthritis. Now, it would be impossible for me.
Forty one years of hard work took care of that.

farmerjim
09-20-2020, 06:39 AM
I took the skin off the top of my index finger when I took the first shot of my 44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk 50 years ago.

TheGrimReaper
09-20-2020, 10:13 PM
I want to shoot SA revolvers so bad.
But they always feel like they are going to fly out of my hand

engineer401
09-21-2020, 04:08 PM
I want to shoot SA revolvers so bad.
But they always feel like they are going to fly out of my hand

Fortunately, I don’t have that problem but a mono grip may help. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003933414?pid=781093

.429&H110
09-22-2020, 02:37 AM
A bunch of us went down to the desert
brought about three of everything
and a cannon.
15 yo kid was watching me with
my .44 SBH 11" "Can I shoot it?"
So I gave it to his Dad with a box of
'mild' H-110 250 grain Keith boolits,
I said "Teach him to shoot it"
"Roger that"
They burned down all my handloads
they rang the 100 yd gong
120 rounds later gave back the SBH.
Kid licked the blood off his knuckles
said "I want one."

Mr_Sheesh
09-23-2020, 09:46 AM
And that is how a young shooter starts planning his harem of handguns LOL

.429&H110
09-26-2020, 12:52 AM
He is a fine kid,
shoots 9mm away better than I do
(not saying much).
Everybody has pistols
and I show up with a revolver.
I am glad his Dad could teach him
about wheelguns, 'cause I'm left handed.
As a helpful knuckle saver: deburr and polish the trigger guard to shiny inside and out so it doesn't grab you like a kitten.
But it will still bite, sometimes.

Bazoo
09-26-2020, 02:09 AM
I deburr and dull sharp edges on every gun I own. On a single action revolver, the butt has some sharp corners that get relieved, and the trigger guard gets it's edges dulled if they bite. Basically anything that causes pain gets the 600 grit paper taken to it, or a file then 600 grit paper. Guns don't stay perfect anyways if you use them.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-26-2020, 08:47 AM
I deburr and dull sharp edges on every gun I own. On a single action revolver, the butt has some sharp corners that get relieved, and the trigger guard gets it's edges dulled if they bite. Basically anything that causes pain gets the 600 grit paper taken to it, or a file then 600 grit paper. Guns don't stay perfect anyways if you use them.

I do the same thing with my Colt’s 3rd gen SAA’s. Sometimes the edges are so rough when they come from the factory I’ll hit the edges with a file. Then touch it up with sandpaper and finish it with bluing.