PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impressions of the RCBS Rebel

Petrol & Powder
08-28-2020, 08:48 AM
I was curious about the RCBS Rebel, to the point I purchased one.
Here are some initial impressions:

1. It is a stout press ! This is a substantial piece of equipment. I don't know if RCBS is contemplating the replacement of the current Rock Chucker (I hope not) but if this is the replacement, it looks like it is more than strong enough to fill that role.

2. This is not an entry level press. This is a very strong, simple, O-frame, cast iron press with steel link arms and heavy construction.

3. There is no provision for on-press priming. There is a hollow ram with a port in the rear to allow spent primers to fall through.

4. The frame opening is not off-set. The opening of the "O" frame is set at 90 degrees to the front of the bench. The handle is offset and can be mounted on the left or the right of the toggle. The rear vertical section of the "O" frame is very thick and is over 2.5" deep, measured front to rear. The front vertical section of the "O" frame is roughly 3/4" thick.

5. There is a removeable threaded steel bushing for the dies. (Accepts Standard 7/8" dies)

6. The ram is roughly 1" in diameter (0.995" ) and the frame is equipped with a Zerk fitting to lubricate the bore the ram travels in. The bore that the ram travels in is roughly 3.25" long.

7. The opening in the frame is a little over 4.5" and the travel of the ram is approximately 4.25". The useable portion of those limits is probably slightly less but it is still fairly large.

8.The ram is attached to the toggle via a large steel pin. That pin is removable and is retained by a set screw in the bottom of the ram. Owners of a Dillon 550 will be familiar with that setup. The linkage attaches to the toggle via a large removable steel pin that is secured by a locknut on one side. The upper pivots for the linkage are large steel pins that thread into the frame. Those pins have Allen head sockets to allow for their removal. The link arms are steel and .375" thick. The entire linkage is heavily constructed and easily disassembled for cleaning and lubricating, if needed.

9. The handle is roughly 13.5 " long from the tip of the ball to the top of the toggle when installed. The shaft of the handle is roughly 3/4" in diameter (0.748" on my example). The handle has two parallel flats machined on the lower section of the shaft so that a 9/16" open end wrench can be used to tighten the handle. That's a very nice feature that I wish other manufacturers would incorporate in their handles.

10. I'm not sure what material the toggle is made of but I suspect it is cast steel and not cast iron. It is a substantial part and the stops that limit the upward travel of the ram are incorporated into the toggle. The ram does not appear to "cam over" at the top of the stoke and appears to stop at top dead center.

If you're looking for a strong, no frills, large single stage press - The Rebel may be a very good candidate.

For fans of the Rockchucker - the Rebel is best described as "Son of Rockchucker".

Taterhead
08-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Nice review. My interest-o-meter is active.

Any news to report about the ammo it makes and ram/die alignment?

onelight
08-28-2020, 04:43 PM
Nice review , thanks sounds like a stout press.

Petrol & Powder
08-28-2020, 06:11 PM
My limited use of the press has resulted in a favorable impression. I can't speak to the "ram/die" alignment anymore than to say its as good as any other press I've used.

mdi
08-29-2020, 01:52 PM
Just wondering (and not criticizing anything or anyone! Just wanna know) but what advantages does the Rebel offer over the Rockchucker? (one of the most popular reloading presses for decades)...

pertnear
08-29-2020, 01:58 PM
Just wondering (and not criticizing anything or anyone! Just wanna know) but what advantages does the Rebel offer over the Rockchucker? (one of the most popular reloading presses for decades)...
Most notable, the Rebel has a hollow ram to better handle spent primer ejection. This was always the big complaint of the RC. A number of add-on devices are sold for the RC to catch spent primers.

Petrol & Powder
08-29-2020, 03:03 PM
pertnear - I agree the hollow ram is a good feature and there may be some other advantages as well.

The omission of any on-press priming device greatly simplifies the press. While some may see that as a negative, others will see it as a positive. Considering that many people prime casings off the press anyway, the simplification allows a cost savings in manufacturing.

The opening in the Rebel frame is slightly larger than the Rockchucker. This may appeal to some users.

The steel link arms are probably stronger in tension than the cast link arms of the Rockchucker and undoubtedly less costly to produce.

The Rebel may be a bit stronger (not that the Rockchucker is remotely weak).

If I had to guess, and this is JUST A GUESS,........ RCBS may be setting the stage to discontinue the Rockchucker. It appears that even though the Rebel may be slightly larger and slightly stronger, it may also have a better profit margin.

It only has two castings (the frame and the toggle). It uses a fewer number of parts. The manufacture of the Rebel involves fewer machining operations and some of the parts are "off the shelf" type components (lock nut, zerk fitting, set screw)

I am NOT claiming that RCBS is looking to discontinue the Rockchucker, but if they were headed in that direction, it would make sense to have a model to fill that void.

Livin_cincy
08-29-2020, 05:05 PM
I find not putting the body at an angle to be a mistake. Redding & Hornady have this and it is handy. It would be a departure in their legacy of design.

The finally putting spent primers in correct location is wonderful. The change is long over do. Perhaps to late. Many people use a universal die to decap so they are buying a Lee APP or C frame to do this. Still it is nice.

The lack of priming is odd and okay. The RCBS turret primes from the side and can be flipped. This is really far better than in front. This seemed to be a no brainer.

Since a single stage is really about rifle hand priming makes sense. Only after cases are inspected, trimmed, and sized do they need primed. RCBS also makes a great hand primer and bench primer for the cost of an on press primer. So, why bother ?

Petrol & Powder
08-29-2020, 06:00 PM
Not placing the body of the press at an angle isn't as difficult to work around as one would first assume. The handle is angled (and you can pick which side) and the opening in the frame is large. It sounds like it would be awkward but it really isn't.

Pressman
08-29-2020, 06:44 PM
"The steel link arms are probably stronger in tension than the cast link arms of the Rockchucker and undoubtedly less costly to produce."

Cast vs steel link arms are equal in strength, but not in the visual perception of strength by the press bying public.
The first RCII presses have steel link arms and the feedback was so negative that they were to weak that RCBS changed back to cast arms on the later RCII and continues with cast on the RC today.
Ken

Petrol & Powder
08-30-2020, 09:51 AM
Cast is only as strong as plate steel if the size of the casting is increased to accommodate the weaker material. So, YES the cast links are as strong as the plate steel BUT only because they are larger.
It is true they are of equal strength but the plate steel can reach that level of strength with less material.

mdi
08-30-2020, 11:38 AM
Reading through this thread, I don't think the lack of used primer disposal or angle of opening of an "O" press to be deal breakers. I have used single stage presses, many without built in priming capability and "directed" primer disposal for most of my reloading (since 1969). I cannot remember any of these features or lack of features to be anything but minor differences. When I used my old C-H press I just placed a bucket on the floor to catch used primers, I used a ram prime for quite a while, and if I were uncomfortable with the angle of the opening I'd just move my stool. I'm talking about me, not criticizing any that consider these "quirks" of a press important. Mainly just wondering why a company would go through the trouble to design a tool to replace an already very popular tool...

Access to the press? I use a Forster Co-Ax and that did take a bit of getting used to, but after a short time I mounted my press at about a 20 degree angle to my left and my left hand has easy access to insert cases...

Again, not badmouthing any user or manufacturer, just curious...

Conditor22
08-30-2020, 01:45 PM
"I find not putting the body at an angle to be a mistake. Redding & Hornady have this and it is handy. It would be a departure in their legacy of design."

IF the body was at an angle, it would make "off side loading" practically impossible.

44magLeo
09-02-2020, 04:38 PM
From the reading I've been doing RCBS is replacing the RC in the kits with the Rebel. They may still sell the RC alone for awhile but I think they will stop production.
Most manufacturers introduce new items then stop previous items so they can sell more of the new items thus justifying the new item.
Like Lyman is not going to make the 55 powder measure any more so they can sell more of their new measure.
It happens all the time. They have to change things up to call it progress. Even if it isn't progress just change for the sake of change.
Leo