PDA

View Full Version : Aguila ammo corrosive?

Ozark mike
08-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Im not real fond of cheap ammo from other countries ive always ran cci remington or federal on my 22s. But i was forced to go cheap cause money is tight and bought a box of mexican't ammo and noticed it was real smokey. I remember reading about this awhile back but wasnt sure where so i thought id bring it up again. It wont bother me as long as nobody has had corrosion problems

BigAlofPa.
08-27-2020, 10:14 PM
My LGS gave me a brick of the aguila super extra. When i bought my Ruger MK4. That stuff is smokey. I had a lot of misfires too with it. It fired second time around. But i'll never buy it. I don't think its corrosive though. Just dirty and smokey. I think remington thunderbolts are better ammo.

Bazoo
08-27-2020, 10:46 PM
I've run a bunch of it through my moms single six and my marlin model 60. I have no complaints. No misfires and decent accuracy. The recoil and sound is consistent unlike most of the federal I've tried.

Buzz Krumhunger
08-28-2020, 06:58 AM
They advertise that they make that ammo with Eley priming compound, which I’m pretty sure is non-corrosive, so unless they use black powder for propellant, Aguila should be non-corrosive.

I’ e used a lot of their center fire ammo with no problems.

Petrol & Powder
08-28-2020, 08:33 AM
Inconsistent - Yes
Corrosive - No

starnbar
08-28-2020, 08:53 AM
Having a bunch of grandchildren who shoot out in back of my spread The aguila ammo is ok for me I haven't had anymore misfires from it than the thunderduds it is a little dirtier but for the money it shoots just fine haven't seen anything that looks like corrosion just dirty.

yovinny
08-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Aguila ammo plant was set up and built by Remington Arms,, in effect Mexican Remington.
While Ive no experience with their 22rf, their shotshells are very good and their CF pistol ammo is top shelf. Back in the 90's, some of the Century International house brand pistol ammo was Aguila and an absolute steal for anyone that recognized quality... I wish I had a pallet load now...

redhawk0
08-28-2020, 09:16 AM
I've been shooting it. After the "shortage" was over I bought a case of it. It has a funny smell (well...unfamiliar anyway) but it shot accurate, no misfires, and never any corrosion issues. I'd buy it again...some of it is made in south TX from what I understand.

[EDIT] - yup...just looked it up...Conroe, TX.....not really south though.

redhawk

1Hawkeye
08-28-2020, 09:54 AM
It's not corrosive and it's got a different odor to it. I tried a brick of their standard velocity in my BSA martini's and was quite satisfied with the results if I remember correctly it chronigraphed pretty good too.

Shepherd2
08-28-2020, 10:07 AM
I've shot a lot of their standard velocity .22s. I probably have 6 or 7 bricks of it on the shelf. Some is Eley primed and some Aguila primed. I've found both to be very consistent and accurate.

rockrat
08-28-2020, 10:46 AM
I have shot some also. It has given me the best groups in my Ruger MKI. I have no complaints with it.

Ozark mike
08-28-2020, 03:51 PM
Thanks i just wanted to make sure noone else is having problems. Just kinda caught me off guard wth the smell and smoke. Ya never know when those crazy mexicans might add peppers to the mix :lol:Ya notice it a little more when your sniping starlings and other pests from inside the house

redhawk0
08-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Thanks i just wanted to make sure noone else is having problems. Just kinda caught me off guard wth the smell and smoke. Ya notice it a little more when your sniping starlings and other pests from inside the house

Now that's what I call a bird blind....hahahaha

Bwana John
08-28-2020, 05:49 PM
Aguila has the best selection of exotic 22RF ammunition available.

60 gr SSS, 20gr Super Colibre, Stinger equivalant, some OK match ammo, Standard Velocity... ect.

For the price it matches or beats most domestic equivalents.

EVERY manufactures ultra match is stinky, and greasy... I almost consider any "stinky 22" to have a good chance of being match grade fodder.

FergusonTO35
08-29-2020, 10:18 AM
My rifles love Super Extra. Very clean and accurate.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-29-2020, 12:25 PM
I've used the Aguila SubSonic, HP and Solid, also have case from CMP that is Aguila Standard Velocity. Pleased with accuracy and reliability of all. No misfires, misfires I have run into is the new CIL brand and old Winchester bulk. The Aguila 38gr HP SubSonic is my preferred round for most rimfire shooting, though I shoot the bulk Federal a lot due to price and availability. Mostly I shoot acouple Henry levers and a couple old Mossberg's, a46, a 146 and a US44.

Tripplebeards
08-29-2020, 01:23 PM
I've tried Aguila ammo in several rifles and pistols all with horrible accuracy results.

Speedo66
08-29-2020, 07:25 PM
I find Aguila to be better quality than the cheap bulk packed American brands. Plus for about the same price it comes in boxes of 50, which obviously the bulk packs don't.

1Hawkeye
08-29-2020, 08:52 PM
I looked up my chronograph data from the agulia std velocity. Test rifle was a BSA mark 1 martini with 29" barrel.
Agulia standard velocity (eley primed)
Ave fps 1108
extreme spread 46.52
standard deviation 13.37

Federal champion
ave fps 1267
extreme spread 61.22
standard deviation 20.56

CCI standard velocity
ave fps 1081
extreme spread 24.74
standard deviation 9.05

All ammo was tested in the same rifle which was about a 50 year old club rifle from somewhere in England with a nice but not quite perfect bore.

The data showed me that I could use and trust the Aguila if it was the only available ammo and the average group size at 50 yards for 10 shots was 1/2" and about 1 1/4" at 100 yards.

Tripplebeards
08-30-2020, 09:00 AM
The last rifle I tried the “fast” Aguila’s out of both shot 8” to 9” plus groups at 50 yards out of my cz452 ultra lux. Same large groups in my 91’ browning buckmark 5.5” target. Both shoot cheap Winchester 333’s under .5” at 50 yards. Also my Ultralux super exclusive shoots cci stingers and segmented 1650 FPS ammo at .5” at 50 yards. My guns just don’t like Aquila.

22cf45
08-30-2020, 09:58 AM
I have used several cases (5000/case) of the Super Extra over the years. Shot it matches and in practice, found no problems. Accurate and dependable.
Phil

farmbif
08-30-2020, 01:15 PM
I keep it along with the ci 22's till all the good stuff is used up, after the last shortage learned my lesson watching people pay $100 or more for 500 mini mags

Jniedbalski
08-30-2020, 02:12 PM
My ely match smelled funny also. Almost like a plastic solvent. I only buy the augila’s in regular velocity. They seem as good as my cci or federal match.

oldred
08-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Don't know how anyone can badmouth the stuff, I have shot a ton of it (figuratively speaking of course;)) and I really like the stuff! I bought a bunch of shorts back during the shortage when I came across them at an out-of-the-way feed store that had somehow missed the buying frenzy until I found them, all their LR was long gone but the shorts were left so I bought all they had and was happy to get them no matter what brand! Very accurate and out of hundreds shot so far not a failure out of the bunch, my little Berreta Minx (short only) loves the stuff and has been eating a bunch of it, in my singleshot rifle accuracy has been great and although, as others have said, a bit smokey it does not seem to be otherwise dirty at all. There is a lot to like about this ammo and the LR version I have bought since is every bit as good as the shorts, like I said a lot to like about this ammo and I can't think of any reason to avoid it, way better than the notorious Thunderduds I had stashed away!

Ozark mike
08-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Well i haven had any problems yet. Shot it through my mk4. A heritage Both marlin 60w. And my 510 with out problem but the stuff sure is nasty compared to other brands if ya fire it indoors

rcslotcar
08-30-2020, 06:33 PM
I use Aguila and CI as training ammo for Kids. Most shot out of bolt action rifles. Never had a problem.
EDIT: As I was typing this my Father in law just came over for two bricks of CI. He is going Shooting with two Grand Sons he just bought Henry levers for.