PDA

View Full Version : something in place of the Lyman M die??

bob15
08-27-2020, 07:29 PM
I went to order a Lyman M die for my 250 Sav and found that no one has them in stock and after calling Lyman, it seems they have discontinued it. My question is: does the Redding or CH4D function the same as the Lyman? From what I've read, my understanding is the Lee works differently and it seems the majority prefer the Lyman over the Lee; but what about the other companies out there?

Is there an equivalent to the Lyman?

Conditor22
08-27-2020, 07:43 PM
try https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/expanders

NOE Expander Plug Setup
http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=1795.0

dtknowles
I can't take credit but John Boy posted this to my M die thread

* Lyman M die... $21 plus shipping
* Track of the Wolf Expansion Plug ... $2.99 plus shipping
Have a large box of TOTW Expansion Plugs for all of my bullet diameters for all calibers

Check with Track of the Wolf

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/

If you can get any Lyman M die you just replace the plug with one from Track of the Wolf

If you have any Lyman three die pistol sets you can use that die.

Tim

Three44s
Belated welcome to the forum!

Try NOE molds. They make inserts that convert a Lee Universal expander to a M type expander.

Three44s

Bazoo
08-27-2020, 07:49 PM
Ebay has an M die for 25-20 which should work. You might be able to adjust a 25-06 die down enough.

Ed_Shot
08-27-2020, 08:31 PM
I believe all you need is a "Lyman #25R Expander Plug with Stem" and "any" M-Die body . Pretty sure either the long or short M-Die body will work for the 250 Sav given the case length. Lyman expander plugs w/stem are (or recently were) $6.50. Totally agree that an M Die for 25-20.....or any 25 cal. will work.

gwpercle
08-28-2020, 02:18 PM
The Lee Universal Expander Die (neck flaring tool actually) + NOE M-type die Expander plugs ,
this is a winning combo and the NOE plugs come in a huge range of sizes .
It's the B-word !
Gary

dannyd
08-28-2020, 03:29 PM
The Lee Universal Expander Die (neck flaring tool actually) + NOE M-type die Expander plugs ,
this is a winning combo and the NOE plugs come in a huge range of sizes .
It's the B-word !
Gary

Just ordered three :)

bob15
08-28-2020, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys. I will be checking out NOE's website. Funny thing is that my two 250 sav's are both NOE's and I never thought about his expander dies/plugs. I will also be checking of track of the wolf website. If nothing else, I will pick up the 25-20 die and try that.....

wmitty
08-30-2020, 04:04 PM
If you have a collet type bullet puller you can cut the head off a bolt and use a mill file to create a taper to allow expanding the case neck to slightly over gas check diameter. The funnel shaped case neck will still grip the boolit and a few minutes turning the bolt in a battery drill will allow you to load rounds while waiting on the store bought expander to arrive.

44magLeo
09-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Unless they have them hid where I can't find them TOTF only has 11 sizes of expander plugs to fit the Lee die. Start at .377 and go up from there and are for Black powder cartridges. Very few have much use for most cartridges I use.
Leo