PDA

View Full Version : Well I need some pistol practice......

oldracer
08-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Since I reduced the trigger pull on my 45 caliber B/P pistol I practiced setting and tripping the new trigger with the 1.5 OZ pull and thought I had it ready? Well not so much it seems as I brought it with me to the range yesterday to shoot a few shots during a break from my range officer duties. Fired off a 209 primer to clean the fire channel and wiped the bore. Loaded the 2.8 grains of Goex FFG, seated the ball then set the trigger. Cocked the cock and started to aim but my finger went into the trigger guard and just touched the trigger it seems and BANG! Ball went way over the target which is not too safe! Used my blow tube, several breaths and a reload. This time I kept my finger out of the trigger guard and once sights lined up I just touched the trigger and BANG it fired off. Soooooo I tried half a dozen shots and had to force myself to keep my finger out of the guard completely as I am used to putting it in and resting on the trigger but no longer. I noticed that this light pull means there is no movement of the pistol at all when firing. At 50 yards the impacts were close together once I figured this out so I think this will be okay.
John

Conditor22
08-27-2020, 12:44 PM
My Pietta is one of my most accurate hand guns.

1.5oz pull is way to soft, 1.5 pounds is still very soft.

I try to keep my bugger picker out of the trigger guard until I've got my sights on the target for all my guns.

With the 1.5oz pull I wouldn't even cock the hammer until I had the target in my sights.

LAGS
08-27-2020, 02:00 PM
IMO.
1.5 Oz is a safety hazzard

mattw
08-27-2020, 02:17 PM
To me that seems a bit dangerous in a pistol. But, that is where my bench rifle triggers sit as well. One of the hardest things for my daughter to learn was closing the bolt and not bumping the trigger during loading. Took her 15 or 20 tries with a dummy round not to bump the trigger.

arcticap
08-27-2020, 02:38 PM
When I read your previous thread about your 1.5 oz. trigger pull, I checked the NMLRA rules for a pistol trigger weight limitation, but didn't find any.
However local NMLRA clubs can have their own restrictions, and can set any rules that they want to for their own club shoots.

FLINTNFIRE
08-27-2020, 03:38 PM
I want to see a picture of the pistol

navyvet
08-27-2020, 03:56 PM
Yazel pistols from the 80's had light triggers but not that light. I sold mine years ago so no way to check for sure.

Winger Ed.
08-27-2020, 04:25 PM
1.5 oz?
I wouldn't want to breath near it if it was cocked.

rking22
08-27-2020, 05:39 PM
When I was playing around with 10 meter pistol, had a top end gun capable of that kind of trigger. It came set at 500 gram, about 1.1 lbs, after months of adjusting and fiddling around, I found that I liked it best at that original 500gram setup. Lighter was just too hard to control, I couldn’t even feel the trigger. I need to feel contact without breaking, 1.5 oz works on a free rifle but not a pistol. Just my experience, I have never taken my Patriot any where near that light, probably 1.5 lb or more was the lightest.

I would also like to see some pictures!

Martin Luber
08-27-2020, 05:57 PM
On trigger weights; You need something to lean on.

Most folks can't control a light trigger even if it is consistent and repeatable. I shoot Olympic Free pistol at 18 grams but still have to control it in a linear fashion. In this case, the resistance of the flesh of my distal pad is stage 1 of a 2 stage trigger. Inalso shoot 4+ # service pistols, and again, control has to be linear and uninterrupted.

oldracer
08-27-2020, 07:34 PM
Here is the right side of the pistol. I made the pistol grip shaped like a Sig 226 semi auto, the trigger is a L&R single set trigger (push forward to set) the lock is also L&R for a pistol. The barrel is a Green Mountain 45 caliber pistol barrel with a breech plug with the long straight tang. The poor looking inletting around the lock is due to having to make modifications since the trigger and lock had a lot of work to do to make them work together at all in a piece of large "scrap" walnut from a local hardwood supplier. Once I got the trigger so it would set and trip and then also make the cock fall I added a ledge around the inside for the lock plate to sit on. I didn't have a pattern or plans of any sort to work on that was the hardest part. I shoot the gun with my left hand on the fore end wood under the barrel. Our black powder pistol match are somewhat free when it comes to rules I.E. black powder, revolver, single shot, most any caliber and so on.

As I noted in my earlier post I had a lot of free play once the trigger was set and it was not smooth so as recommended I polished the three moving parts of the trigger and was not trying to get to such a low pull but to get rid of the "drag" and large amount of free play. I also replaced the pin with one that took out the sloppiness due to the drilled holes being a tad large. I nearly dropped the Lyman trigger gauge first time I tested after the polish and hardening of the parts! My rifles with double set triggers (all but one) all break at 2.0 OZ as I went and tested them after getting my pull meter. I do have a rifle made by Roger Johnson with a single set trigger and it breaks at 3 OZ but has a lot of free pull and a slight resistance at the end. It takes me 3 or 4 shots to get used to it but so far every year I have been doing our matches I win our "medallion" match with it! With the trigger as it is now there is no creep or free play, the trigger trips as soon as you touch it.

We have a shooter in our matches who has a single shot pistol from England that was used in the world championship matches and he said the pull is around 6 OZ and the single set trigger and percussion lock assembly were both made by the gun maker and he has never pulled them to see how they are made?266874

FLINTNFIRE
08-27-2020, 08:36 PM
I think that is pretty neat , and you made it for a target pistol , so of course it would have a light trigger , I have some flinters and there set triggers are a whisper , never checked poundage or ounce on them as they are of course meant to be hair triggers , bench rifle in 6.5 x 284 win. I was told is 2 oz. . Anyway thank you for photo and posts , Well done on your matches by the way .

rking22
08-27-2020, 09:12 PM
Fun to compete with one you built, even betterer to win wit it! Thanks for the picture and details.

oldracer
08-27-2020, 11:33 PM
A few more details on the pistol I scratch built. I had done several "kits" before and built two rifles, both slug guns but I had a Pedersoli Gibbs to use as a pattern. The Gibbs is a great shooting rifle. Anyways I asked Track of The Wolf to install the breech plug so to make sure the long straight tang would line up even with the top barrel flat. I cut the front sight and rear sight dovetails with my mill machine (1998 Harbor Freight 3 in one) that works beautifully! Cost me $350 with the stand from a late club member's estate. I mounted the powder barrel right in front of the breech plug threads. Due to the very short amount of through with the hammer I use a 209 primer adapter which gives me some great powder burn and if I use my blow tube between shots no cleaning is required until I am done with a match.

I didn't mention earlier I use two brass shims on the outside of the trigger moving parts to reduce some wobble that was there. My mentor, who has won the American Black Powder Championship and also for some time held the record for smallest 5 shot group built his Sharps 45-70 completely and his trigger breaks at 1 OZ after set. Need to get used to it I guess?
John

waksupi
08-28-2020, 12:14 PM
A pistol shouldn't go under 3-4#.

KCSO
08-28-2020, 01:17 PM
According to good old Elmer trigger pull shuld be no more than the weight of the gun. I can not see an under 2 oz trigger pull lasting very long without getting dangerous. The lightest pull I ever put on a gun was 1 pound with German 5 lever set triggers and that proved worthless for hunting. For a match pistol 2 pounds or so should be good enough to win matches.

indian joe
08-28-2020, 06:57 PM
last time I went in a serious pistol comp (long time ago, our club hosted state BP championships, and all the hotshots were there) they weighed all the triggers and a couple blokes got kicked out or "go fix it" for having too light trigger pull - I think the limit was 2pound?

oldracer
08-29-2020, 09:10 PM
If I can get some help maybe someone can find the rule(s) that spell out what a single shot black powder muzzle loading minimum break should be? I checked with the MNLRA website, NMLAIC website and there are lists for rifles both original military and modern such as 2# minimum for the 1000 yard championships, BUT no mention for pistols. They say hold one hand and shoot, NO bending the barrel to change point of impact, TEC.
John

arcticap
08-30-2020, 10:04 AM
If I can get some help maybe someone can find the rule(s) that spell out what a single shot black powder muzzle loading minimum break should be? I checked with the MNLRA website, NMLAIC website and there are lists for rifles both original military and modern such as 2# minimum for the 1000 yard championships, BUT no mention for pistols. They say hold one hand and shoot, NO bending the barrel to change point of impact, TEC.
John

I mentioned in post #5 above that I couldn't find any trigger weight limitation for pistols in the NMLRA rules.
The fact that your club allows the use of two hands [one on the forestock] indicates that you only need to follow the local club rules.

When I read your previous thread about your 1.5 oz. trigger pull, I checked the NMLRA rules for a pistol trigger weight limitation, but didn't find any.
However local NMLRA clubs can have their own restrictions, and can set any rules that they want to for their own club shoots.

And if there isn't any NMLRA minimum weight rule then your pistol would be okay to use in their official competitions.
I think that the guys posting are more concerned about the perception of safety than about rules of competition.
.22LR free pistols also have extremely light triggers like yours but they usually have a wrap around anatomical grip with a palm shelf that helps to stabilize the pistol the one hand.
In your case, you're allowed to use a 2nd hand to help stabilize the gun.
If you were in a competition and your sear repeatedly wasn't able to stay cocked which led to unintended discharges, then perhaps a range officer would pull the gun off the line for mechanical safety reasons.
But other than that, if there's no rule against it then a very light trigger is allowed for a reason.
AFAIK the NMRLA has an open pistol class which encourages pistol competition with the least amount of restrictions.
That gives everyone the same fair chance of winning the event.

oldracer
08-30-2020, 01:18 PM
The pistol I mentioned is like the one I took a picture off Gun Broker, a Baikal 22 caliber free pistol where the one at our range is a 36 caliber muzzle loader from England. The stock is about the same as best I can remember as we have not had out matches in 5 months. I was going to make my stock like that one but decided on the shape I ended up with since it can stand up for loading and cleaning if necessary. So far I have not any issues with the hammer staying at either half or full cock as long as I keep my finger away from the trigger guard.267007
Due to cancer that showed up in my left lung earlier this year and the treatment with Libtayo I have lost a lot of strength and the ability to shot a complete match in most cases. Our director wants me to sit down but so far have been able to proceed standing but I do shoot the pistols two handed.
John

barnabus
08-31-2020, 06:15 AM
IMO.
1.5 Oz is a safety hazzard

I agree.sounds like you butchered the trigger job.why not buy new parts before you hurt yourself or someone.they are pretty cheap.

09-06-2020, 04:09 PM
I have a .36 LePage muzzle loader with a 2oz set trigger - it shoots very well and trigger never a problem. I also have another couple of unusual muzzle loaders (due to our cranky gun laws in the UK)

.36 LePage:
http://i.imgur.com/pDxDwMqm.jpg (https://imgur.com/pDxDwMq)

.32 Zylab Patriot 5 shot competition pistol:
http://i.imgur.com/TUR93T2m.jpg (https://imgur.com/TUR93T2)

.357 Alfa revolver (Muzzle loading)
http://i.imgur.com/hNyuicPm.png (https://imgur.com/hNyuicP)

indian joe
09-06-2020, 07:17 PM
last time I went in a serious pistol comp (long time ago, our club hosted state BP championships, and all the hotshots were there) they weighed all the triggers and a couple blokes got kicked out or "go fix it" for having too light trigger pull - I think the limit was 2pound?

the latest from our State pistol association BP rulebook (no mention of weight and its open to dodginess - if the tester dont like ya he "bumps it" some harder than he does for his mate)
"All triggers must be safe. Note: To test if a trigger is to be considered safe, place the hammer in the full cock position over an uncapped nipple, and lightly bump the base of the grip with the heel of the other hand. If the hammer falls, the trigger is unsafe.

oldracer
09-07-2020, 09:44 AM
Well I have had two range sessions with the pistol and at the second one I did well at 25 yards and could probably win our 25 yard match. As for "blotching" the trigger job, my intent was to make the trigger smoother since as I found out the moving parts were as cast so they were rough. Why the pull went down we have no idea since the two areas that latch together were never touched and even with the adjusting screw fully out the break is still 2oz?

I did my trigger test where I pulled the cock to full cocked position and bumped the stock on the bench, no release, tried banging it fairly hard and still no trip so I'd say it is safe to use.
John

Hossfly
09-07-2020, 10:20 AM
Wow, just cant imagine a 2oz trigger. The trigger on my Thompson contender is right at 2# and to me that is almost too light. You must be very carful with 2oz.

oldracer
09-07-2020, 12:42 PM
I found that this pistol is just like my rifles with their 2oz trigger pull, I.E. I keep my finger on the trigger guard as the target comes into sight I just move it off and touch the trigger blade and there is no waiting and trying to line things up since my strength is not real great I have to start off the bullseye and move onto it similar to how I shoot a rifle. My mentor suggested I shoot that way since I can not hold steady on a target and he had the same problem with his Sharps when he was competing. His Sharps had a 1oz trigger but I might have mentioned that before?
John