PDA

View Full Version : picked up a new one

Lloyd Smale
08-27-2020, 08:12 AM
stopped by a gun shop yesterday that's usually a rip off joint. Ive been wanting a springfield emp 40 for a while now. Low and behold they had one sitting in the case with a 650 dollar price tag on it. I asked to see it and checked it out and while I was looking he said it was used. I couldn't for the life of me see even test fire wear on it. It looked brand spanking new. Asked if he had a second mag and he told me it comes with 5 mags a mag carrier and a holster. While I was handling it he told me his 9s are flying off the shelf which surprised me when I saw smith shields for 500 bucks which I thought was real high. he said that gun had been in the case for 3 weeks and I was the first one interested in it. He said its a 40 and add to that it cost a 150 bucks more then a shield. I was about to say sold when he said if I bought it right now hed knock 50 bucks off the price. Right then I said sold. All I had was 300 bucks on me so I put that down on it and pick it up Monday. Havent been this excited about a new gun in years. Sure is a good looking little bugger. If it turns out to run well I have my new sunday go to meeting carry gun!

onelight
08-27-2020, 08:17 AM
That sounds like a great deal ! Let us know how it shoots . I have not seen a used one in a shop around here and new are $1000 + .

Lloyd Smale
08-27-2020, 10:28 AM
I see psa and a few other places had them for around 800 but out of stock.

knifemaker
08-27-2020, 10:40 AM
Lloyd you would have been a fool to pass that one up at that price. My everyday carry pistols are a Colt Defender in 45 acp and a Springfield EMP in 9mm and both are accurate and reliable for defense carry. Only problem is I paid about twice the amount for my EMP that you did for that 40 S&W.

BigAlofPa.
08-27-2020, 10:50 AM
1911 if i recall correctly? Sounds like you got a great package deal. Enjoy and congrats.

dverna
08-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Nice score Lloyd!!!

The .40 is falling out of favor, so there should be decent deals on them down the road. I am keeping my eye out for another Glock 22. Easy to add a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion to it and have both calibers on one frame.

That Springfield is a sweet gun!!!

Lloyd Smale
08-28-2020, 07:11 AM
Nice score Lloyd!!!

The .40 is falling out of favor, so there should be decent deals on them down the road. I am keeping my eye out for another Glock 22. Easy to add a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion to it and have both calibers on one frame.

That Springfield is a sweet gun!!!

I lucked into a deal on a 22 a couple months ago. Son in law said his cousin was a prison guard and the prison was going back to 9s and was selling there 22s to the guards if they wanted them. He said 275 with 2 mags. I told him id gladly take one at that price. Couple weeks went by and he called me and said he had bad news the used ones were all gone but they had a few new ones left for 300! I laughed and said buy one! (should have bought 3) it came about a month later brand new in the box with 3 mags!. The price of the other mag is more then the 25 dollar difference and it was brand new! Still kicking myself for not buying more. back when they went from 38s to 40s I bought 3 smith 15s for a 150 bucks a piece. Gave two away and still have one and am kicking my self to this day for not buying every one they had. Youd think id learn. I hope some gullible ones will start believing the 9s are everything the 45acps are too. Id love to see a bunch of 45s at gun shops collecting dust with low price tags on them because gullible people believe the total bs about how good 9s are now with these fancy new bullets. They don't have the sense to realize you can buy 40s and 45s with the same exact bullets but heavier and bigger diameter so they put a bigger hole in what your shooting and penetrate deeper. Keep telling everyone too that the recoil of 40s and 45s is fierce. I love that one too. Hate to see one of those sally's with a 357 or god forbid one of those tear your hand off 44 mags:Fire:

DougGuy
08-28-2020, 07:58 AM
Nice score Lloyd! Google found the EMP 40 and it sure is a looker. Springfield describes the barrel as "A stainless steel match grade fully supported heavy bull barrel keeps the EMP® shooting reliably and true despite its diminutive dimensions." Meaning there likely is no freebore to speak of, probably handles most factory fodder but maybe not too cast friendly which would depend greatly on boolit design.. The 40 is not very forgiving with shorter COA.

Lloyd Smale
08-29-2020, 06:12 AM
heres my take on it so far. I ran a mag of 4 different cast bullets and 2 different jacketed hp and it didn't miss a beat. I know that's not much of a test but I don't have the time right now to really wring it out. Its tighter then a drum. As tight and smooth as any high dollar 1911 ive ever owned. Things I don't like about it is it has a horrendous recoil spring in it and a women sure as heck isn't going to work the slide. Trigger isn't fantastic. probably 5-6 lbs but very little creep. Its surprisingly heavy. The 9s have a aluminum grip frame but these 40s are all steel and it weights a tad bit more then my 5 inch Kimber carry with an aluminum frame and I hate amby safteys on 1911s ( I know most like them) Thing feels great in the hand. With its narrower slightly longer grip frame then an officers sized real 1911 its just sits in the hand nicely. Recoil is mild even with full power stuff. Probably similar to my glock 43 in that aspect. If I could really give them one bit of advice to change it would be to use the 9mms aluminum grip frame. This thing is suppose to be a deap cover carry gun and could stand to be lighter. Id bet that 9mm version is a sweetheart but this guy allways did prefer the 40 to the 9mm.