PDA

View Full Version : .308 vs .243

carpetman
12-24-2005, 08:41 PM
My son in law,grandson and I went out yesterday. Were going to hunt yesterday afternoon and spend the night. My grandson got a real nice 10 pointer and we decided why spend the night? What would we do with another deer? He used the .308 I recently gave him(Win 88). Have to say results no better than he was getting from .243. He lets the air out of them and they run maybe 100 feet. This was using 150 grain jacketed.

KCSO
12-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Once again we see that it's not so much what you hit them with as WHERE you hit them. I would much rather take someone hunting with a .243 that they can shoot well than a fellow with a 300 mag and a wicked flinch. I have personally dropped 6 deer with a 40 caliber round ball and would nto hesitate to do it again, but I had to pass up a LOT of shots so I could put that rb where it had to go.

Congrats to your grandson thats starting them right.

Scrounger
12-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Here's some pictures of CarpetMan's grandson, the deerslayer. I think he gets more deer than granddad does cats...

carpetman
12-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Scrounger thanks for posting the pictures. That's the Win88 I mentioned several times that I planned for a couple of years to give my grandson. His first deer with it. Notice on the sling there is a pouch---that holds the extra box magazine that happened to have 5 rounds in it---grandson forgot his ammo---I gave him several hundred rounds--but he said the 5 rounds were plenty.