PDA

View Full Version : Primers... The good, the bad, the ugly.

bakerjw
08-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Rifle and pistol primers.
The good. I have quite a few.
The bad. I don't have enough to fill a few thousand rounds of 5.56 or 9mm.
The ugly. No one has any in stock anywhere....

Darn these times are strange eh?

Froogal
08-26-2020, 09:00 AM
Same here. I have enough, but I do not have excess. Can't buy paper towels either.

rancher1913
08-26-2020, 09:41 AM
I preached in several posts about forgetting about stocking powder and instead stock primers because they were the Achilles heel of reloading, guess lots of people thought I was wrong, glad I took my own advice.

contender1
08-26-2020, 09:56 AM
As a 50 yr veteran of the BSA,, an Eagle Scout,, our motto; "Be Prepared."
I've never had any worries about having enough supplies for my amount of shooting. (I shoot USPSA competition AND own a gun range.)

My local pusher called me about 2 weeks ago,, and I got 4000 WSP primers.

dverna
08-26-2020, 10:22 AM
My mantra would be:

The Good
The Better
the Best

Plenty of everything and able to help others out as well. After experiencing shortages over the last few years, the words of Forrest Gump come to mind.

bakerjw
08-26-2020, 10:35 AM
I was a boy scout myself which taught me a lot of valid life skills. Knot tying, first aid, survival, swimming, scads of things...

I am well prepared as ammunition goes, but you can never have too much as we've seen. I'll at least have some brass at the ready if stocks ever come back into line.

ioon44
08-26-2020, 10:44 AM
This is not the first time we have played this game, I stocked up back in the winter.

I hope every one will Repent, Pray and Vote for President Trump, looks like this one is for all the marbles.

gwpercle
08-26-2020, 12:57 PM

You have to remember ...remember 2013 ...the past shortage .
From 2014 until 2018 I was looking for sales , buying powder and primers and stocking deep .
Why .... every 4 years we gonna have powder & primer shortages .
Don't forget....in 4 years we'll do it again...stock up for it and stock deep .

Get bullet moulds now ...they may be outlawed soon as they pass new laws .
Gary

gwpercle
08-26-2020, 12:59 PM
This is not the first time we have played this game, I stocked up back in the winter.

I hope every one will Repent, Pray and Vote for President Trump, looks like this one is for all the marbles.

You remembered ....LIKE !!!

Froogal
08-26-2020, 01:10 PM
I preached in several posts about forgetting about stocking powder and instead stock primers because they were the Achilles heel of reloading, guess lots of people thought I was wrong, glad I took my own advice.

But how many should stockpile? Not too long ago I had twice as many as I thought I would need for at least one year, and when 1/2 of those were gone I would just buy more. THAT was the plan. It never occurred to me that there would EVER be a shortage of reloading components.

quilbilly
08-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Around here plenty of large rifle primers are available but no other sizes. I haven't seen a small pistol or small rifle primer on a store shelf for a couple months.

BNE
08-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Thankfully I have been able to steadily add to my collection. 2013 was toooooo frustrating.

Winger Ed.
08-26-2020, 02:28 PM
Around here plenty of large rifle primers are available but no other sizes.

I think the small primers are going to make loaded ammo like .380, 9mm, 5.56, etc. at the factories.
There is more of a 'urgent need' in the market place for loaded ammo than just the primers.
Also, if you're in the ammo making business- selling a factory fresh loaded round is MUCH more profitable than just a separate primer.

lightman
08-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Most of us have been through several shortages before this one and learned to stay stocked up. How much to keep on hand is the hard question. Kind of like having a "lifetime supply of lead"! Just find a vendor that will accept backorder and get in line. Something will shake loose given time.

These times sort of make a good argument for two primer sizes offered in some calibers!

MrWolf
08-26-2020, 07:07 PM
I figure 25,000 of each type is a good start. Add to it as good deals become available.

rcslotcar
08-26-2020, 07:48 PM
^^^^^^ yup!!!!!!

GhostHawk
08-26-2020, 08:58 PM
I took it to heart Rancher, bought a second 50 cal ammo can and filled it. Nice variety of Lg and Sm Rifle, Lg and Sm Pistol.

Already sitting on enough Red Dot. Would not mind having another 100 lbs or so of COWW. But I'm not hurting.

Getting pretty late to do much now.

LAH
08-26-2020, 09:16 PM
Guys please stock up. It saddens me to see people short of primers. We went though a few years of plenty & even sales. That is the time to buy, same with powder & 22 LR ammo. I'm blessed to have enough stuff my shooting routine isn't changing. BTW there's a guy with 700 pound of wheelweights in Marion, VA for 200.00. If I needed any I'd be there tomorrow.

Dieselhorses
08-26-2020, 09:39 PM
I have about a tenth of a million :) Because I couldn't make up my mind (like a woman buying shoes) I ended up with, well "a lot" of powder. Stock up!

LAH
08-26-2020, 09:44 PM
(like a woman buying shoes) I ended up with, well "a lot" of powder.

Like the shoe thing.

reddog81
08-26-2020, 10:13 PM
But how many should stockpile? Not too long ago I had twice as many as I thought I would need for at least one year, and when 1/2 of those were gone I would just buy more. THAT was the plan. It never occurred to me that there would EVER be a shortage of reloading components.

I shoot for a 4 year supply (pun intended...). I figure that way I can keep shooting at my normal pace for at least one year and then re-evaluate the situation with out worrying about running out. If after 2 years the market is still in panic mode it'll be time to cut back some. I don't have the funds or space to buy and store enough components for 100,000 rounds like some people but 10 to 20 bricks of primers and the corresponding lead and powder isn't too hard.

Gewehr-Guy
08-26-2020, 10:15 PM
I have found the best time to buy anything, is when your in the store,and the product is in front of you. Many of my primers were bought at $20 a thousand, and powder when it was on sale also. Had a neighbor tell me he could not find canning lids, I told him that he could have all he wants, I bought plenty over the last few years. Every time I walked by them in the store I would pick up a few extra boxes, sometimes even on sale. Thats how you build a comfortable supply of anything.

Now this is off topic, but right now is the time to be thinking about getting that bigger propane tank, or laying in some extra fuel and winter supplies.

dverna
08-26-2020, 10:46 PM

It sounds like you are relatively new to this. My goal was to have a 10 year supply. I sold about half my guns and invested in components and .22LR. I currently have a 20+ year supply of primers and powder.

My advice is to start with an achievable goal....say three year supply. Once that is achieved stock up for 5 years, etc etc.

Recreational shooting is fun but your priorities should be to insure you have what you need to defend your family if the SHTF....and NEVER fall below that level.

We cannot predict what will happen in terms of political changes, or supply. I have assumed the worst. It may be a silly assumption but it is a safe one. YMMV

Froogal
08-27-2020, 08:43 AM
It sounds like you are relatively new to this. My goal was to have a 10 year supply. I sold about half my guns and invested in components and .22LR. I currently have a 20+ year supply of primers and powder.

My advice is to start with an achievable goal....say three year supply. Once that is achieved stock up for 5 years, etc etc.

Recreational shooting is fun but your priorities should be to insure you have what you need to defend your family if the SHTF....and NEVER fall below that level.

We cannot predict what will happen in terms of political changes, or supply. I have assumed the worst. It may be a silly assumption but it is a safe one. YMMV

Correct. I have been doing this for only about 5 years, but in that time I have gone several thousand primers, both small pistol and large pistol. I do cowboy action, so the primers I have on hand will be used for reloading .38, .357, and .45 Colt. If the stuff hits the fan, I own a couple of 9mm semi-autos, and enough new, unfired ammo, as well as reloaded 9mm to get me out of a jamb, or at least go down fighting.

Shawlerbrook
08-27-2020, 08:55 AM
Living here in New Cuomostan, we have learned(the hard way) to have a strategic stockpile of all things related to shooting. The way things are heading, certain hard commodities will be more valuable than paper money.

Tenbender
08-27-2020, 10:56 AM
I have a ton of primers. Mostly small pistol. I'm 75 miles from JC

dverna
08-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Correct. I have been doing this for only about 5 years, but in that time I have gone several thousand primers, both small pistol and large pistol. I do cowboy action, so the primers I have on hand will be used for reloading .38, .357, and .45 Colt. If the stuff hits the fan, I own a couple of 9mm semi-autos, and enough new, unfired ammo, as well as reloaded 9mm to get me out of a jamb, or at least go down fighting.

Good for you!! Cowboy action is a ton of fun and not too ammunition intensive. BTW, I wasted a lot of ammunition in training when I was doing it...would shoot 250-400 rounds a week during decent weather.

I found I could learn to shoot fast by using dummy rounds and not even leave my living room. Not the fun as shooting but a lot less expensive. Good way to conserve components if you get low and what to keep your skills sharp.

Froogal
08-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Good for you!! Cowboy action is a ton of fun and not too ammunition intensive. BTW, I wasted a lot of ammunition in training when I was doing it...would shoot 250-400 rounds a week during decent weather.

I found I could learn to shoot fast by using dummy rounds and not even leave my living room. Not the fun as shooting but a lot less expensive. Good way to conserve components if you get low and what to keep your skills sharp.

Shooting fast is something I need to work on. At our last get together, I shot two stages clean. No misses, but a few other shooters did the same, but they were faster, so my total score was still not that great. Not that I really care, because I still had a bunch of fun.

FISH4BUGS
08-27-2020, 01:34 PM
I made a 2 hour round trip to buy another 1000 LP primers.
Selling 1000 per customer max.
I now have 2000 LP in stock with all my LP primer ammo loaded.
Rebuilding inventory after loading 1500 cast 44 specials and 1500 cast 44 mag.
By the way....$39.95/1000.
I'll go back again Saturday for another 1000.
I'd like to have 5000 in reserve.

icebox
08-27-2020, 02:08 PM
I agree on the buying when you see it,
you can't count on the normal supply chain to act like it's normal,
over the weekend I found small rifle primers at an archery store that had a muzzle loading section,
A nice surprise, as I started looking for bow wax

Engineer1911
08-27-2020, 03:53 PM
If you didn't learn about shortages of critical reloading supplies during the Clinton or Obummer years, you just don't get out very often.

FLINTNFIRE
08-27-2020, 07:49 PM
I advised people to stock up , but people for the most part do not listen , however this latest famine has hit almost all aspects of our sport , is not just primers and powder bullet and brass , it is firearms and parts , I was still finding a few good buys as the panicdemic carried on , and there are still deals or supplies here and there , Friend bought a pair of plain jane rock island 45 acp from bimart last month $389 and he picked up primers for me from his local sportsmans warehouse , to add to my hoard , evil smile insert here , but this drought is going to be here for awhile .

Meanwhile I need to get up to range and mine the berms and melt into ingots .

Buckshot
08-27-2020, 10:40 PM
................ I'm 67 years old and have been partial to firearms for most of that time, and this Chinese virus/Civil Outlawry isn't my first rodeo. I realized early on, that most everything you're going to buy will NEVER be less expensive then it is now. As a consequence if I liked something I bought a lot (Or as much as I could afford) at any particular time. In fact I had a shooting buddy that'd come over (That's when I had my machining business) on occasion. He once said, "You must have had an insecure childhood". Nothing could have been farther from the truth. I was as simple as, "If I liked something, I liked to have a LOT OF IT".

When Winchester Dynapoint 22lR ammo came out, that was supposed to be a 'Brand' that would be exclusive to K-Mart. That's where I first bought it. Howsomever, K Mart was beginning to have trouble with Walmart's' invasion, and we all know what happened. In any event I'd done a test of all my 22RF rifles, and the various "Inexpensive - Obtainable - Common" 22 rf ammo, and it turned out that the best overall was Winchester DynaPoint. Wal-Marts' sporting goods dept would order stuff for you, and since they'd let themselves run out, I'd place an order with them. Winchester Dyna-Points were $98.50/case of 5000 rounds (10 bxs/500 = $9.85 each).

Turned out that very first order they'd screwed up as it was Winchester Dyna Point 22RF MAGNUM, but it all got ironed out. I STILL have several bricks dated 6-04. Sometime later the Dynapoints at Walmart disappeared but they were selling the Federal 550 pack and cases of THAT was $118.00 so I ordered a couple of those. I STILL have an unopened case of that dated 4-2008, and that's about when 22RF became unobtanium.

During that time and before I was shooting with several guys every Tuesday. We had a match each Tuesday where we'd each kick in a buck and whoever shot high score won the pot. I suppose we didn't realize what a uniques situation we had going. We all cast lead, we all obviously reloaded, and we all pretty much liked the same shooting irons, and plenty of milsurps between us. The shooting match we called the "Burrito Invitational" because up the road and across the dry wash was a shopping center with a Mexican Restaurant that made the best Chilli Relleno burritos. Not everyone had one of those, but that's what we named the match. I used to make a post on Wednesday called, "Tuesday at the Range".

FOUND ONE!!! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?9187-Burrito-Invitational-9-05-06&highlight=Burrito+Invitational+match

Just copy and paste the addy above into your browser. It's from 2006.

We valued that time together so much, ALL our families knew NOT to plan anything for Tuesdays until at least 1700 in the evening. Another benefit was that since we all cast, and we all reloaded we could put together some nifty orders. Graf and Son had a deal that if you ordered 96 lbs of Surplus or regular powder, they'd ship it via truck freight free. WE took advantage of THAT every time it was offered. It had to be shipped to a commercial address so we had it shipped to the range. Due to the group we got to take advantage of several very nice deals.

As I said, it'll never be cheaper then it is now :-)

...............Buckshot

robg
08-28-2020, 04:56 AM
i picked up 2k cci spp yesterday white boxes marked not for resale instead of the usual blue boxes.

Idaho45guy
08-28-2020, 11:21 AM
I simply don't shoot much due to work schedules. I work a graveyard shift and when you get up at 3pm, there isn't a whole of daylight left to go shoot. So I might shoot once every 3 weeks or so. And those range sessions are for sighting in something, or testing a load. I don't think I've ever shot more than 200 rounds at a time.

My handgun combat skills don't seem to get rusty, or ever really improve much with increased range time, so I never really made it a priority. I could go to a match and outshoot guys that shot 500 rounds a week and place in the top 3 by getting my only range time for the month in at the match.

I checked my components and current stockpile amounts, and while they pale in comparison to most here, I could shoot at normal levels for about 4 years. I figure things will quiet down in November when Trump wins. By January, there will be cheap primers and components again.

But, I also think that when Trump wins, there will be a huge surge in riots and violence across America and it may very well be at my doorstep. Then, how do you calculate how much ammo you need for civil unrest? My primary cartridges for defending my home and family are 9mm and 5.56, and then .40 S&W and .308. It's tough to figure out how much is adequate without going to a very dark place, mentally, and imagining the unimaginable.

Tenbender
08-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Its not about the " I don't shoot much anymore factor " Its about shooting at all. Primers is such a small investment in prolonging our sport or protecting our home. No matter if Trump wins this November the liberals are coming. You think they are bad stupid this year just wait 4 years.

Froogal
08-28-2020, 05:09 PM
I am still under the impression that an evil force, who has absolutely no need or use for primers or powder is buying up as much inventory as possible and just hoarding it, so that we can't have it. They can't take our guns away from us, but they can take our ammo.

Winger Ed.
08-29-2020, 01:55 AM
I am still under the impression that an evil force, who has absolutely no need or use for primers or powder is buying up as much inventory as possible and just hoarding it, so that we can't have it.

After the factories get caught back up on producing loaded ammo-- primers will be back on the shelf too.

Lloyd Smale
08-29-2020, 05:51 AM
its got so bad that the guy who owns the gun shop in the neighboring town offered to swap me 500 rounds of 556 ammo for a gun. Told him I don't give others my reloads because of liability, selling them is illegal and my ammo right now is more important then another gun. So I bought the gun and kept my ammo. he said 556 9mm and any primers are impossible for him to find. He said he even shakes his head at his 9mm pistols flying off the shelf to people who cant even buy one box of ammo for them around here.

762 shooter
08-29-2020, 06:38 AM
I have changed my strategy. I now assume that what I have on hand might be all I get. Society, economy, politics, pandemics are unpredictable.

MrWolf
08-29-2020, 08:55 AM
My LGS said I could make a small fortune if I sold. Nope. Everyone has different views on what is enough. I dont sell my guns nor my supplies.

richhodg66
08-29-2020, 09:18 AM
I'm not sweating it this time. I have enough to last a while at the rate I shoot, though not nearly as much as a bunch of guys on here have apparently. Not gonna pay scalper prices either, didn't do it last time either.

If I get below what I'm comfortable with, I'll start shooting less and find other things to do, maybe get started back into archery of get the motorcycles back out again.

Idaho45guy
08-29-2020, 07:19 PM
Its not about the " I don't shoot much anymore factor " Its about shooting at all.

I believe it is very relevant to the situation.

For someone that shoots a thousand rounds a week, my supply would run out in a couple of months. For those that don't shoot much, it will last years.

But I get your point about not being to shoot at all if you run out of primers. But when that happens differs greatly based upon how much you shoot.

FLINTNFIRE
08-29-2020, 07:58 PM
It means I will find less brass left in the woods till after the shortage is over , I myself do not get t go shooting as much as I would like , I may have plenty to shoot till this is over and will share with those whom I shoot , and will stock up when I can again .

Lloyd Smale
08-30-2020, 06:23 AM
It means I will find less brass left in the woods till after the shortage is over , I myself do not get t go shooting as much as I would like , I may have plenty to shoot till this is over and will share with those whom I shoot , and will stock up when I can again .

I don't shoot at the local range I have private one but I drive past it a couple times a week and its been a ghost town there. Cut off the factory ammo and shooting comes to a screeching halt. Probably less then a half a dozen handloaders in town and im probably only that many with progressive presses and a good supply of ammo in the whole county. Only ammo on the shelves around he is deer rifle ammo and even that is slim pickings. Guy asked me the other day to make him some 243 because he couldn't find it. I told him to check midway.

Idaho45guy
08-30-2020, 10:08 AM
My 80yr old father is completely unaware of the components shortage. He is a subcontractor for a cast boolit supplier and can cast just about any rifle boolit you could want. I believe he cast about 40,000 boolits last year.

I told him about the lack of primers nationwide and he asked what I needed. I told him I was just fine, but small pistol primers were worth their weight in gold right now. He said that was too bad; didn't have those, but said I could have a few thousand of anything else and it would hardly put a dent in his stockpile.

Idaho45guy
08-30-2020, 10:13 AM
Only ammo on the shelves around he is deer rifle ammo and even that is slim pickings. Guy asked me the other day to make him some 243 because he couldn't find it. I told him to check midway.

My LGS is fully stocked on all rifle calibers except 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308. Everything else is stacked deep and normal prices. I stopped by there a few days ago and I noticed a clerk stocking the shelf and small crowd formed. He was stacking 5.56 from Frontier for $8.99 a box. Limited to 5 boxes per customer. By the time I was able to grab my five boxes, there were only eight boxes left. I don't load for 5.56, but am considering getting some dies and bullets for it since it seems to be in high demand, and I have a couple of ARs chambered for it.

FLINTNFIRE
08-30-2020, 12:47 PM
Local range I belong to is private and most there reload , so never much brass there , up on the state timber lands is where the brass is fired and left , and then when there is a shortage of factory ammo they have none to shoot , wasteful , I pick up what I find and I keep casting for future use , and to maintain a ready supply , life is good .

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2020, 05:58 AM
My LGS is fully stocked on all rifle calibers except 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308. Everything else is stacked deep and normal prices. I stopped by there a few days ago and I noticed a clerk stocking the shelf and small crowd formed. He was stacking 5.56 from Frontier for $8.99 a box. Limited to 5 boxes per customer. By the time I was able to grab my five boxes, there were only eight boxes left. I don't load for 5.56, but am considering getting some dies and bullets for it since it seems to be in high demand, and I have a couple of ARs chambered for it.

no way i could afford to feed my ar habbit with even 9 buck a box ammo. At that price i could probably buy a new truck for what i have stacked in ammo cans. Even with the amount i have i find myself being conservative with it. Thank God for 9mm ar15s. I can cast for them and load for about the price of 22 shells today. In my early days i was a 9mm basher. Still think theres better choices for ccw and for a gun fight but if i had to pick a favorite round it would be 9s just because theres nothing that gives a better bang for the buck at the range. Shoot an ar in 9mm with a good set of ear plugs and it even recoils about the same as a 556. My 16 inch cmmg 9mm will outshoot many 556s at a 100 yards to boot. But then if you dont load 9mm isnt easy to find right now either and if you weren't smart enough to keep stocked small pistol primers are about impossible to find. But theres plenty of all of it at Lloyds house. Personaly when i order a new gun that i dont already reload for at least one mold and dies are here usually before the gun. I can count the boxes of factory ammo ive bought in the last 20 years on one hand. Well i guess thats a lie. I load for the 762x39 and even have molds but dont bother much. Years ago i accumulated about 10 cases of wolf ammo back when it was around a 100 bucks a case. I think ive shot about 2 cases now. I dont shoot it all that much. Its mostly just a gun i take to camp to be able to blast in the field and not pick up brass. But when i bought that ammo it was cheaper then i could load with brass case and buying jacketed bullets. But in a real pinch i have a 1000 bullets and about that many cases i could load if i had to.

WRideout
08-31-2020, 09:27 AM
When I turned (ahem) 68 on Saturday, my beloved wife gave me a brick each of SP standard and SP mag primers. I love that woman!

Wayne

RogerDat
08-31-2020, 10:08 AM
Another pointless panic buying spree. I would buy some more if there had been gun shows in the spring but we are mostly talking a thousand or two of this or that size primer.

Election of a president shouldn't make much if any difference UNLESS ability to get legislation through Congress exists. Then Congress has to introduce legislation that has a meaningful negative impact. Legislation has to have a shot at passing. Then it will be time to panic. But of course by then it will be waaaay to late.

People will adjust their consumption to the availability of supply and value of that supply. Like the joke says, pre-covid-19 I would spin the toilet paper roll like I was on Wheel of Fortune, now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe. Value of toilet paper changes, consumption habits change.

My guess is many will shoot 50 rounds of 9mm instead of 100 rounds at a range trip. Lower their remaining available supply that can't be replaced goes the less they will shoot. The smart ones have a multi year supply on hand of normal rate of consumption that will last many years if their consumption drops. Of course that does depend on financial ability to carry inventory without undue hardship on themselves or family. Components are sort of expensive cumulatively. 10 boxes of primers gives one the warm fuzzy feeling but is also well over $300 out of the family budget.

RogerDat
08-31-2020, 10:19 AM
I should add for those of us no longer young some items are a bit more limited in their ability to be resold in our estate. Finished reloads for example. Or items that require Hazmat shipping. Something to consider. Would my widow rather have $5000 or a primer stockpile that cost $5000?

Do I have family that will use those supplies after I'm gone? Or will I only need a supply for one of my surviving family members and need to take that into account in dispensing of my property? If I leave $5000 worth of supplies to one child I should consider what of comparable value will I bequeath to my other kids.

A friend can ship your lead, molds and equipment can be sold. Powder and primers are probably going to require local sale. I would expect either a lot of smaller transactions with the accompanying work required to do them or one or two larger ones at a discount from what the purchase price was to encourage the buyer to spend a lot of money in one shot. Probably taking some brands or flavors they really don't need in the deal. Not to mention ones all time favorite powder for a load may not be a powder anyone else values having. E.G your Varget will find many buyers, your BL-C(2) maybe not so much.

Last but not least, as I get older will I shoot as much? More? Or less. Hanging out with fellow shooters at the range with a thermos of coffee can be an enjoyable way to spend some time, doesn't require as much ammo as practice for competition one might do in retirement but then taper off later in life. A lot of members have joint issues that make reloading light loads and limiting their shots fired the only way they can still enjoy shooting. Not the only way they can enjoy the shooting sport however. Just some ways don't require as much ammo or components.

rbuck351
08-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Shortages of one component or another have been happening since before I started reloading almost 60 years ago. More will happen in the future. It doesn't take a prophet to predict this. If you are short of components, wait until this one is over and buy all you can afford when components become available again. And don't forget food, gas, TP and other things you don't want to be without. And while you are at it, pick up some new skills and start doing your own home and car repairs.

bakerjw
08-31-2020, 10:58 AM
Not to veer off topic too much...

Election of a president shouldn't make much if any difference UNLESS ability to get legislation through Congress exists. Then Congress has to introduce legislation that has a meaningful negative impact. Legislation has to have a shot at passing. Then it will be time to panic. But of course by then it will be waaaay to late.

It is well known that mail in voting is going to be rife with fraud. If the fraud drags one particular candidate across the victory line, it will drag many house and senate races along with it. One party has stated their desire to do away with the filibuster meaning that legislation in the senate will require a simple majority. If they have the house, senate and white house, you can sure as hell be guaranteed that HARSH gun control legislation will some through as soon as there is another major shooting. FWIW, I believe that will happen in February if not late January.

Rex
08-31-2020, 03:49 PM
I'm really low on primers but not a big deal. I put the revolver and rifles away and went back to shooting blue rock. Don't reload shot shells but they can be bought anywhere. It doesn't take much to amuse old men.

ACC
08-31-2020, 11:03 PM

There are 3 gun shops that sell reloading items here in San Antonio, Texas. 2 of them have jacked up there prices and I will never do business with them again. The other has raise the price a little, like $1.00 on a thousand, and when this is all over I will continue to do business with them.

Go here if you want a good opinion of primer shortage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pk2434-O6k

ACC

BTW I buy primers by the 5000.

Idaho45guy
09-01-2020, 02:45 AM
Not to veer off topic too much...

It is well known that mail in voting is going to be rife with fraud. If the fraud drags one particular candidate across the victory line, it will drag many house and senate races along with it. One party has stated their desire to do away with the filibuster meaning that legislation in the senate will require a simple majority. If they have the house, senate and white house, you can sure as hell be guaranteed that HARSH gun control legislation will some through as soon as there is another major shooting. FWIW, I believe that will happen in February if not late January.

Not to mention Biden vowing to make ARs illegal and appoint a "gun czar" that stated he is absolutely going to seize our "assault rifles", which Washington state libs have designated as ALL semi-auto rifles, including the 10/22.

Anybody that still thinks the dems are not much different than the Republicans is about 10 years behind the times. The left has become radicalized and are vowing to destroy America as we know it.

richhodg66
09-01-2020, 07:58 AM
I'm really low on primers but not a big deal. I put the revolver and rifles away and went back to shooting blue rock. Don't reload shot shells but they can be bought anywhere. It doesn't take much to amuse old men.

This is something I have thought about since I started shooting a couple of rounds of trap once a week. I still see shotgun primers for sale and like you say, just about every place that sells ammo has cheap shells in 20 and 12.

I've been shooting a 16 so that could present a minor problem, but I have a lot of stuff to reload them except for shot. Just haven't done it yet.

Worst case, I still have a few recurve bows.

JimB..
09-01-2020, 08:01 AM
I loaded a little 45acp yesterday, the brick of CCI LPPs was marked $6.10 which would have been mid 1970s.

Pretty sure that I’m dying a lot faster than I’m reloading right now. My kids don’t shoot, at least not yet.

richhodg66
09-01-2020, 08:14 AM
I should add for those of us no longer young some items are a bit more limited in their ability to be resold in our estate. Finished reloads for example. Or items that require Hazmat shipping. Something to consider. Would my widow rather have $5000 or a primer stockpile that cost $5000?

Do I have family that will use those supplies after I'm gone? Or will I only need a supply for one of my surviving family members and need to take that into account in dispensing of my property? If I leave $5000 worth of supplies to one child I should consider what of comparable value will I bequeath to my other kids.

A friend can ship your lead, molds and equipment can be sold. Powder and primers are probably going to require local sale. I would expect either a lot of smaller transactions with the accompanying work required to do them or one or two larger ones at a discount from what the purchase price was to encourage the buyer to spend a lot of money in one shot. Probably taking some brands or flavors they really don't need in the deal. Not to mention ones all time favorite powder for a load may not be a powder anyone else values having. E.G your Varget will find many buyers, your BL-C(2) maybe not so much.

Last but not least, as I get older will I shoot as much? More? Or less. Hanging out with fellow shooters at the range with a thermos of coffee can be an enjoyable way to spend some time, doesn't require as much ammo as practice for competition one might do in retirement but then taper off later in life. A lot of members have joint issues that make reloading light loads and limiting their shots fired the only way they can still enjoy shooting. Not the only way they can enjoy the shooting sport however. Just some ways don't require as much ammo or components.

I've been pondering the same things lately. When we moved my mom and dad into assisted living, I inherited a lot of stuff. I have very seldom cast since then as I h ave been shooting up his inventory of bullets and I still have a long way to go before they're gone. I live on my own range so I likely shoot more often than most and if I was still having to drive to a range when it was open, I'd never shoot them all.

I didn't get many primers from him, did get some powder and brass. I don't hoard like some on here, but have enough stuff that will be difficult to sell off for someone who doesn't know much about it that I really don't want to leave all that behind when I'm gone for loved ones to deal with.

I'm not dying yet, but I'm not going to put off downsizing my stuff as late as Dad did. Had he not had sons who handloaded and shot a fair bit (I and my youngest brother are the real enthusiasts) it could have left a mess for survivors.

I guess the point is, how much are you realistically gonna use up? I'm just not gonna worry about it, I won't let thing run completely out to where I have guns and no ammo, but if the shortage gets bad, I can do other things to keep myself entertained besides load and shoot.

LAH
09-01-2020, 10:56 AM
So Rex is shooting the ole shotgun. I normally purchase reloading supplies when I see them on sale. During the last shortage of loading supplies & 22 shells I purchased shotgun shells. Now I own property beside a sporting clays range owned by a fellow SAR member. He keeps saying come by & shoot when you can. Guess I should take him up on that.

reddog81
09-01-2020, 12:41 PM
As I said, it'll never be cheaper then it is now :-)

I hope that's not true. With small pistol primers going for $150 per 1,000 and 9mm going for at least $30 per box we're be screwed if prices don't fall at some point.

bakerjw
09-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Actually, Academy sports had Blazer brass 9mm the other day 50 rounds for $13.00 or so. Limit 3 per person. They were gone in hours.
Supply is slowly starting to catch up to demand.

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2020, 06:42 AM
I hope that's not true. With small pistol primers going for $150 per 1,000 and 9mm going for at least $30 per box we're be screwed if prices don't fall at some point.

where are they getting those kind of prices for primers? I think about selling some myself if i could get that.

nwfdub
09-02-2020, 07:03 AM
where are they getting those kind of prices for primers? I think about selling some myself if i could get that.Gunbroker. I have also sold local via Armslist and another regional forum on ammo with those prices.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

dverna
09-02-2020, 07:51 AM

My take is different. If I do not have $5000 of primers and powder in stock when I die, I have not planned for the worst case.

LAH
09-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Let me say something here. I don't hoard reloading supplies. I simply try to have enough that when these "shortages" come about it doesn't affect my shooting habits. I try to do the same with everything else if it's practical. I do know people who purchase things just to have them. I purchase things with the intent to use them.

reddog81
09-02-2020, 11:24 AM
Actually, Academy sports had Blazer brass 9mm the other day 50 rounds for $13.00 or so. Limit 3 per person. They were gone in hours.
Supply is slowly starting to catch up to demand.

I don’t think supply is catching up at all. There are just a number of local stores that still sell at reasonable prices when they get shipments. As you noted they sell out very quickly. I check ammoseek.com a couple times a week just to see where prices are at and 9mm appears to have settled in at $.60 per round. It been there for a couple of weeks now. I’ve seen a number of people post that they have set up “Notify Me When In Stock” notices for ammo and primers at “normal” prices and they buy as much as they can. At this point in time I’m certain the scalpers are doing the same thing. If you can buy primers for $40 per 1,000 and sell them a week later for $150 it’s easy money. Same goes for 9mm.

On gunbroker primers are pushing $150 for small pistol and shipping is on top of that.

bakerjw
09-02-2020, 11:59 AM
Our local BassPro shows 9mm 50 round boxes for $13.00 and in stock. Won't last long though.

I did find a member on here that is local to me willing to sell some small pistol at $90.00/1000. My stock is less than I would like but I don't have an urgent need. I did find a box of 380ACP primed brass in my stash though. I'll be putting them together here shortly because I can.

farmbif
09-02-2020, 12:00 PM
my backyard shooting season is just beginning with ginseng season coming on. Gott keep them thieves off the mountain and none of even bother to try my property with a hail of lead headed up the slopes. just wish I had bought another 20,000 or so of those unis ginex primers when Grafs had em for cheap.
live and learn after the last great shortage I think it woke a whole bunch of us up.