PDA

View Full Version : 3 piece Blackhawk

sghart3578
08-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Well,

I learned something today. Actually several things.

One, You should occasionally check the screws in your guns and make sure they are tight.

Two, There is a reason you wear eye protection.

I was firing my Blackhawk yesterday when it decided to break on me. I was shooting my regular 255 gr, 8.5 gr Unique loads. I was left holding the grip while the rest of my gun went past the line into the shooting lane. I was actually alone on the range and I used a broom to retrieve it.

The gun was built in 1995 and the previous owner did warn me that he liked "hot" loads in it.

I suspect that the screws holding the grip frame had worked loose. I have a Marlin 1894 that is notorious for doing the same thing.

From now on I will double check things like that. Even at 61 years of age I still learn new things.

The next new thing to learn is the confusing history of Ruger grip frames and how to replace one.

Steve in N CA

contender1
08-26-2020, 10:04 AM
First off,, it's good you weren't hurt.
Next,, it's also good that the part that broke is an easily replaced part.
A 1995 built gun will have a variation of the NXR3-RED grip frame. (You can look on your frame, and it should have this nomenclature molded into it.)
ALL Ruger SA handguns, both NM & OM have the exact same 5 screw hole pattern. I have swapped many, many grip frames around. Even putting a NM g/f under an OM gun by adding a trigger return spring block.

So, look at your g/f, find the markings, and get one like that. It'll be simpler than you think. AND,,, AND,,, just about any NM g/f will screw right on. The one change Ruger made,, about 6-8 years ago, was the recess slots in the main frame, that mate with the small "ears or tabs" on the g/f. If you get a newer g/f it will screw right on,, but just won't have the tabs that sit in the recess of the main frame.

And luckily,, a NM g/f like that isn't too expensive in general. Around the $50 mark.

If you need any further help,, PM me & I'll see what I can offer.

LIMPINGJ
08-26-2020, 10:04 AM
Checking screws on a single action is normal routine like cleaning.

Thumbcocker
08-26-2020, 11:14 AM
Blue locktite is your friend.

Drm50
08-26-2020, 11:34 AM
What are the odds of all five frame screws failing at the same time? The two screws behind trigger guard on Rugers take the most stress because recoil is 90 degrees with them. I have had a SBH since early 60s. I had to check screws all the time. I missed once and sheared head off a frame screw. I ordered new screws from Ruger and while I was at it ordered a double set of all small parts and screws for SBH. They are still in box I put them in 50+ years ago. Never had any problem with that gun since. I did buy a set of frame screws that were nyloc and I still check but they don’t come loose.

oldsalt444
08-26-2020, 11:45 AM
+1 on the blue Locktite.

Bazoo
08-26-2020, 12:10 PM
That is pretty odd. Glad you weren't hurt.

Did the bullet stick in the bore?

My guess would be all the screws but one fell out previously and the last probably sheared.

Be a good time to switch to a stainless grip frame if you like that look. Ruger might send you a grip frame if you call and explain what happened.

onelight
08-26-2020, 01:07 PM
Did the trigger guard stay on the frame when it broke ?
Thanks for posting this I will pay extra attention to keeping all the screws in mine tight.

9.3X62AL
08-26-2020, 02:34 PM
I have gotten into the habit of a tension check on all of the exterior screws after each shooting session on all of my war toys. That is how I start or end a cleaning sequence, just out of habit. Most of the time, all is well and snug. Once in a great while, one screw will begin to back out and it gets a re-snug before it goes back in the safe or into usage. I haven't yet had a gun screw back out repeatedly or frequently; such a condition would call for the blue Loctite if it occurred.

ranchman
08-27-2020, 12:45 AM
There's a sight you don't see everyday. The screw check is a regular routine with mine though, all mine don't seem to do it but I have a couple that screws back off very fast.

Is that grip frame an aluminum one?

Walks
08-27-2020, 01:45 AM
I may have a "new grip frame" Aluminum.

PM me if you are interested.

shooting on a shoestring
08-27-2020, 06:43 AM
Yep had the pretty much the same thing happen to my 7.5” 45 Colt New Model Blackhawk.
It was 250 grain boolits about 1300 fps.
The screws held in mine but the grip frame broke in two.
I was surprised how thin the skeletonized aluminum grip frame was where it broke just behind the trigger guard.

I replaced mine with a brass grip frame that I like much better. Took a little fitting but it’s much stronger and has held fine ever since.

You might want to know there’s a guy that makes all kinds of brass grip frames for the Ruger Blackhawk family. I haven’t used his products but I’m tempted to try one. His name is Ronnie Wells. I think you could find him by searching “Ronnie Wells grip frames”.

DGV
08-27-2020, 10:43 AM
Send it back to Ruger. Call first for a RMA prepaid Fed-Ex label. They will repair at no charge

rockrat
08-27-2020, 10:49 AM
DGV beat me to it. Good advice.

sghart3578
08-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your attention and suggestions. It is appreciated.

Steve in N CA

GSP7
08-27-2020, 09:19 PM
How'd the cylinder get out?

I guess you removed it

PHyrbird
08-27-2020, 09:24 PM
+1 on the blue Locktite.

NOT the blue on small screws:evil: Use the purple #222 loctite for our friends. It doesn't strip the tiny threads off the shaft of screws. Plus you don't gotta heat it to get iti to release.

sghart3578
08-27-2020, 11:20 PM
How'd the cylinder get out?

I guess you removed it

Yeah, I'm still not used to having a smartphone with a camera always available.

By the time that I had it disassembled I thought that I would take a photo to send to my brother.

The trigger guard was still on the frame, just the handle had broken off.

Thanks,

Steve in N CA

RJM52
08-28-2020, 07:20 AM
Second the suggestion to contact Ruger first...they will probably take care of it no-charge...

Bob

DougGuy
08-28-2020, 07:45 AM
Send it back to Ruger. Call first for a RMA prepaid Fed-Ex label. They will repair at no charge

They will send the brown truck by with a pre paid label to pick it up on their dime. As noted, call their customer service in Newport, and tell them what happened in the order it happened, they will get you an RMA and they will take care of it on their dime. You will get back a near new gun or you might get a brand new gun.

However, they will NOT send back the rubber grip that's on it now so unless you want to donate it to their trash bin, take it off before you ship it. You can tell them you bought it used and it does not have factory grips on it they won't mind, they will ship it with some factory grips attached.

Ed_Shot
08-28-2020, 10:57 AM
I would like to know if Ruger gives you an RMA. Within the past year I had a problem with my LC9S Pro. When I contacted Ruger Customer Service they told me that they no longer gave RMA's for weapons manufactured over one year ago. I told the lady I didn't know when it was manufactured but I had my receipt from TSS Warehouse showing that I purchased it less than a year ago. They sent me an RMA and repaired the weapon at no cost to me.

Brain cramp..... The issue was not the RMA it was the "free shipping lable"

lar45
08-29-2020, 01:44 PM
I think that I would box it up and send it back to Ruger. That way they will make sure that all the little pieces/parts end up back in the correct spot. They can also make sure the threads in the frame are still in good condition.

Bazoo
08-29-2020, 03:31 PM
Reassembling the parts is not hard provided one has a good understanding of them. I've detail stripped my Ruger single actions many times. The manual offers instructions to anyone that doesn't know how.

45 Dragoon
08-29-2020, 08:03 PM
What happened here is what happens when two assemblies aren't joined together well enough. When screws get loose, and the shock from one assembly can't transfer smoothly to and throughout the other, stuff breaks! It's all about harmonics. It's the same type of problem folks have with Colt design open top revolvers. As long as there is a clean transfer of energy throughout, you want have any problems!
Keep them screws tight!

Mike