PDA

View Full Version : New To Me Taurus 85

Win94ae
08-25-2020, 11:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6eAWAaeycQ

That load was what I use in my S&W 66; I have a new load to try, that should be more on the mild side.

NC_JEFF
08-26-2020, 06:14 AM
I have an 85, I don't go out to 25 yrs with it tho. It's usually my backup carry gun and I like Hornady personal defense loads in it. It's a 4 yr old gun with the rubber grip. More than accurate enough within 10 yards and it's yet to let me down.

Win94ae
08-26-2020, 01:57 PM
I have an 85, I don't go out to 25 yrs with it tho. It's usually my backup carry gun and I like Hornady personal defense loads in it. It's a 4 yr old gun with the rubber grip. More than accurate enough within 10 yards and it's yet to let me down.

I like to shoot all my handguns at 25 yards, to see how precise they are; and just to see the POI, you never know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZfaO0_P7xw

My new load shoots a lot better, unfortunately it is a lot lower than anticipated. I may try another charge weight to see if the POI comes up some, but this load will do wonderfully.

I hope yours continues to serve you well!

Der Gebirgsjager
08-26-2020, 02:30 PM
Back around 1989 (plus or minus a year) I bought my wife and daughter each an M85 stainless. We had an initial shooting/training session, and I'm almost positive that my daughter, who became involved with marriage, children, and a career never shot it again. Until two days ago, when she and her family came to the mountains to visit and brought along new guns they wanted to try out.

This could get very long and detailed, because there were a lot of guns, but I'll stay on subject. She had acquired a brand new Sig compact 9mm that holds 10 rounds. Target was at 15 yards. She was unable to load more than 3 rounds in the brand new factory magazine, and her husband had to finish loading it. Very stiff spring. She hit the target, a competition-type silhouette with 7 of the 10 rounds, but widely dispersed on the target. Then she loaded and fired her Taurus M85 and all rounds were centered in a teacup saucer sized group. Hmmm....
I pointed out that perhaps she should stay with what works best for her. Somewhat illogically she and her husband decided to stay with the 9mm. He'll load up two magazines for her in advance of possible need.

Meanwhile, I've got my wife's M85 (no longer in her possession because of the stroke she had 10 years ago), and my own, exactly like hers that I bought after the fact of buying the original two because they shot so well. :D

That's a nice looking snub, Win94ae.

Win94ae
08-26-2020, 06:10 PM
Back around 1989 (plus or minus a year) I bought my wife and daughter each an M85 stainless. We had an initial shooting/training session, and I'm almost positive that my daughter, who became involved with marriage, children, and a career never shot it again. Until two days ago, when she and her family came to the mountains to visit and brought along new guns they wanted to try out.

This could get very long and detailed, because there were a lot of guns, but I'll stay on subject. She had acquired a brand new Sig compact 9mm that holds 10 rounds. Target was at 15 yards. She was unable to load more than 3 rounds in the brand new factory magazine, and her husband had to finish loading it. Very stiff spring. She hit the target, a competition-type silhouette with 7 of the 10 rounds, but widely dispersed on the target. Then she loaded and fired her Taurus M85 and all rounds were centered in a teacup saucer sized group. Hmmm....
I pointed out that perhaps she should stay with what works best for her. Somewhat illogically she and her husband decided to stay with the 9mm. He'll load up two magazines for her in advance of possible need.

Meanwhile, I've got my wife's M85 (no longer in her possession because of the stroke she had 10 years ago), and my own, exactly like hers that I bought after the fact of buying the original two because they shot so well. :D

That's a nice looking snub, Win94ae.

You know, I really like this gun! It is light, and precise; once I get a holster, it will make a huge difference on the draw. I like it a lot!

Thank you!

30calflash
08-27-2020, 10:06 AM
NIce vid, that's the one Taurus I'd like to acquire.

Heavier bullets will raise your POI, if you have some 140 to 160 grainers that should do it.

Petrol & Powder
08-27-2020, 11:11 AM
I'm not a Taurus fan and I refuse to go back down the Taurus path again BUT.....I will say without reservation - The Model 85 is one model Taurus appears to have got right.

I've seen a lot of model 85's go years and provide faithful service. I don't know why Taurus was unable to duplicate that success across the board.

FergusonTO35
08-27-2020, 12:52 PM
Taurus seems to build their core .38 and .357 revolvers (82, 85, 66, etc.) to a higher standard. They do receive alot of military and police use south of the border, that's for sure.

swheeler
08-27-2020, 07:20 PM
I really like your videos,thanks for sharing. I like the looks of that M85 and I like mySS M65 four inch, it has never let me down and is quite accurate.

Win94ae
08-27-2020, 07:20 PM
NIce vid, that's the one Taurus I'd like to acquire.

Heavier bullets will raise your POI, if you have some 140 to 160 grainers that should do it.
Thank you! This is a lot nicer than I expected from Taurus.
As long as I know the POI I'm good with it. The cases were a little tight with the first load, so I think I'll stick to these small bullets with a not so hot charge.

I'm not a Taurus fan and I refuse to go back down the Taurus path again BUT.....I will say without reservation - The Model 85 is one model Taurus appears to have got right.

I've seen a lot of model 85's go years and provide faithful service. I don't know why Taurus was unable to duplicate that success across the board.
I haven't found anything about this that I don't like. Once I get a proper holster, this is going to work wonderfully!

Taurus seems to build their core .38 and .357 revolvers (82, 85, 66, etc.) to a higher standard. They do receive alot of military and police use south of the border, that's for sure.
This seems like a great gun so far! And I do like the little 38 specials! :)

Today's load test...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHIDO-bQos

When I get a better holster, I'll practice with it, then iron out the wrinkles in my performance.

Win94ae
08-28-2020, 01:59 AM
I really like your videos,thanks for sharing. I like the looks of that M85 and I like mySS M65 four inch, it has never let me down and is quite accurate.

Thank you! Yes indeed, I do like the look of this gun! :)

rkrcpa
08-28-2020, 07:21 AM
Here's my M85 I bought in 1984. It has been a faithful companion.

https://i.imgur.com/XoAXt9N.jpg

redhawk0
08-28-2020, 07:39 AM
I have a 1997 model made in Brazil. I love mine. Its the Blue Steel model so it shoots +P. It's a little heavier than the newer aluminum alloy models but its solid and well built. That to me makes up for the extra weight. I only shoot 10 yards with mine. I figure its more for close combat if needed. Mine loves handloads with 145gr Winchester Silver Tips. Shoots a few inchs high.

redhawk

Win94ae
08-28-2020, 08:51 PM
Here's my M85 I bought in 1984. It has been a faithful companion.

https://i.imgur.com/XoAXt9N.jpg

I have a 1997 model made in Brazil. I love mine. Its the Blue Steel model so it shoots +P. It's a little heavier than the newer aluminum alloy models but its solid and well built. That to me makes up for the extra weight. I only shoot 10 yards with mine. I figure its more for close combat if needed. Mine loves handloads with 145gr Winchester Silver Tips. Shoots a few inchs high.

redhawk

Very nice, I do like my blued one a lot!

Chronographed the light load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfl4cQUryIY

I have some American Eagle 158gr ammo I want to try.

rking22
08-28-2020, 08:58 PM
Probably the best gun Taurus makes, got my wife one in early 2000s. It has been reliable and perfect for our needs. I also have a TI Tracker in 41 mag and it is reliable and accurate, the TCP is OK. I don’t think the 85 is as accurate as my M36, but honestly have never actually tested them side by side. Interesting idea.....
Our 85 is generally loaded with midrange cast wadcutters like most all my 38s. It’s aluminum with the stainless cylinder and is very light but controllable. Good combination, good gun.

Win94ae
08-29-2020, 10:49 PM
Probably the best gun Taurus makes, got my wife one in early 2000s. It has been reliable and perfect for our needs. I also have a TI Tracker in 41 mag and it is reliable and accurate, the TCP is OK. I don’t think the 85 is as accurate as my M36, but honestly have never actually tested them side by side. Interesting idea.....
Our 85 is generally loaded with midrange cast wadcutters like most all my 38s. It’s aluminum with the stainless cylinder and is very light but controllable. Good combination, good gun.

Yes, I think this will fill a nitch quite nicely! :)