PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9 Opinion

Sparhawk
08-25-2020, 07:49 PM
I obtained one of these pistols for under $200.00. It has a trigger much like my Glock. THE gun seems to shoot fairly well and is comfortable in my hand. A few people at my club said they were junk. I really don't know enough about the pistol. I have on an old P89 that I like to shoot despite the long trigger pull. Any opinions would be welcome. And many thanks.

BigAlofPa.
08-25-2020, 08:08 PM
I have an SR 9 and 40. Never had a problem with them. Don't listen to the Naysayers. There probably jealous because you got a good deal.

brassrat
08-25-2020, 08:38 PM
I just carry mine because the puny rail doesnt seem able to stand up to a lot of rounds. I bent it back and the gun is tight now. Also 3 or 4 pins kept wanting to fall out.

poppy42
08-25-2020, 08:46 PM
I’ve carried a sr9 for years probably got over 10,000 rounds through it. I love it and will get another one in a heartbeat.

contender1
08-25-2020, 08:52 PM
I owned an early one,, that we used a LOT in teaching NRA WOT clinics. I read about how there were some early ones that had "barrel peening." Well, mine was one of them. Yet,, it NEVER failed in any form. After almost 2 years of use,, I contacted Ruger,,, and the very nice lady sent me a pre-paid packing slip, and the gun went back to them. They offered to either repair or replace it, my choice. I chose to get a replacement. It too has been used a lot,, and dosen't have any barrel peening issues. It has never failed to prove how "Rugged, Reliable Ruger's" are built.
I have a friend who has a pair of them. One in each caliber,,, and his son also has a .40 cal.
They too have had zero issues with them.

I also was privileged many years ago to sit & discuss that model during prototype stages.

I feel,, you got one heck of a great deal,, and the naysayers can easily be proved wrong. Shoot it,,, use it,, and enjoy it.

elmacgyver0
08-25-2020, 09:03 PM
Gonna be people that love'em or hate'em just like Chevys and Fords.

FergusonTO35
08-25-2020, 09:15 PM
Good guns, better than the chunky American pistol and rather cheaply made Security 9 that replaced it. The SR's always sold great around here. Most places don't even bother to carry the latter two because they just take up room in the case for weeks.

bedbugbilly
08-25-2020, 09:36 PM
My first 9mm was a Ruger SR9 and it was a terrific pistol - shot jacketed and cast with no issues. Accurate and never a problem. I ended up selling it when I wanted a single stack for carry. I have regretted that many times.

ioon44
08-26-2020, 08:15 AM
I have a Ruger SR9, I don't shoot it a lot like in matches but I can't say any thing bad about it.

Froogal
08-26-2020, 09:11 AM
I also own an SR9. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is a bit difficult to conceal.

johniv
08-26-2020, 09:40 AM
Owned one for a while. Too big for my hand, same as the G19 that I owned, but the Ruger functioned with all ammo that I tried (unlike the Glock). The Ruger was more accurate than the G19. They both went away because of how they fit my hand.
FWIW

FLINTNFIRE
08-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Have shot a SR9 liked it so well I bought 3 of the 9E version kept one and gave others as gifts , everyone of them shoot them and like them no issues with any , I shot one yesterday about 6 magazine full , no failures and lots of fun , good price you paid I had to give 250 for mine .

murf205
08-26-2020, 12:40 PM
Tell those people that said they were junk to contact me and I will take them off their hands if they have one. AND, just to show what a nice guy I am, I will pay the shipping. My SR9 has digested any handload or factory ammo I ever stuffed in it....and I like to experiment!

Sparhawk
08-26-2020, 03:05 PM
Thanks so much for all the great feedback :)

ACC
08-26-2020, 06:57 PM
I obtained one of these pistols for under $200.00. It has a trigger much like my Glock. THE gun seems to shoot fairly well and is comfortable in my hand. A few people at my club said they were junk. I really don't know enough about the pistol. I have on an old P89 that I like to shoot despite the long trigger pull. Any opinions would be welcome. And many thanks.

I have a few students that come to the class with that pistol and I find that it is as accurate as my S&W Model 59.

ACC

barnabus
08-26-2020, 07:47 PM
carry a rock. it is much more dependable

FLINTNFIRE
08-26-2020, 08:47 PM
I do a Rock Island , but just like the sr9 or 9e there are those who have had bad experiences , through their own mistakes or a bad part , and or workmanship , it happens and having owned 3 and shot them , I find them dependable , and accurate . Just my experience with them .

poppy42
08-26-2020, 09:52 PM
carry a rock. it is much more dependable

Just out of curiosity what about the rock island is more dependable on a Ruger SR9?

Texas by God
08-26-2020, 10:26 PM
I thought he meant an actual rock.... I'd rather have a Ruger SR9 because I still shoot better than I throw.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

scattershot
08-27-2020, 12:00 AM
I had one. It was very accurate, when I could wrestle the 12 pound trigger into submission. I sold it, but the ones I have handled lately seem to have a better trigger. I would buy another one, if I could find one at a decent price.

FLINTNFIRE
08-27-2020, 12:41 AM
I took it as an actual rock to , I just threw the rock island in there for fun , throwing rocks is not for older shoulders .

marlin39a
08-27-2020, 06:21 AM
I own a SR9 compact, and 2 9E pistols. All use the same 17 rd magazines, and I’ve got plenty. I haven’t carried a full size pistol in a long time, but with today’s events it is comforting to have it on my side. Ruger made these pistols right.

Lloyd Smale
08-29-2020, 06:37 AM
there in my opinion ugly. Yup all black guns are ugly but some are just plain UGLY. That said the couple I shot ran real well. Much better then rugers first gen of semi autos. If I saw one for 200 dollars it would sure come home with me. Especially right now when its about impossible to find a 9mm anything. Would I buy a brand new one at retail at a gun shop nope. But you sure did well at 200 bucks. I cant imagine a GOOD gun that I could trust my life with for anything less. Heck its hard to find a high point for that today.