PDA

View Full Version : What is it

Taylor
08-25-2020, 02:31 PM

Texas by God
08-25-2020, 02:41 PM
That is a post WW2 Yugoslavian Mauser 98 that has been sporterized.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Taylor
08-25-2020, 02:45 PM
It's a 98 Mauser..sporterized stock. Aftermarket sights. SN on bolt don't match receiver. 1944? Barrel appears to be original. Belongs to a friend, he does not know what it is chambered in. I'm thinking 7 or 8mm, but don't know how to tell without dropping in a cartridge. He said I could have it if I wanted it. Of course I want it....free gun. Absolutely.

Taylor
08-25-2020, 02:46 PM
Texas, what was the chambering on those?

nicholst55
08-25-2020, 02:54 PM
7.92X57mm Mauser, AKA 8mm Mauser (8X57). Of course, that doesn't mean that it's still chambered for that cartridge.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2020, 03:50 PM
Buy some cerrosafe if you don't have any. Brownells carries it. Do a chamber cast. You will answer all your questions.

Taylor
08-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Yep...this free gun is gonna cost me money.

rustypot
08-25-2020, 04:30 PM
They always do ,even the ones that We pay for

higgins
08-25-2020, 05:03 PM
As noted, It's an 8x57 mm 98k German Mauser that was rebuilt after the war. Preduzece 44 was the rifle factory where the rebuild was done. Some of them got new replacement barrels and are excellent shooters. A friend had one that probably had the original barrel but it was in good condition and had been recrowned by the Yugoslavs. If the bore is in good condition it should be an accurate rifle. If your friend shot surplus ammo in it, assume it was corrosive so clean bore with your solution of choice that includes water, then clean normally. Ask your friend if he has the handguard and barrel bands and hardware; it's worth something. Enjoy your gift.

William Yanda
08-25-2020, 05:14 PM
" He said I could have it if I wanted it."

I was going to say you're making me feel bad. But that's looking at it wrong. I am glad for you-A new project.

Taylor
08-25-2020, 05:47 PM
He got it that way. Did not know what it was. Never been shot by him. He told me that it has been in the closet for 20+ years. I have not taken possession of it as of yet. But...I do have 6 pcs of brass.

I think I may have a VZ stock. Will it fit?

pietro
08-25-2020, 06:39 PM
Barrel appears to be original. Belongs to a friend, he does not know what it is chambered in.

I'm thinking 7 or 8mm, but don't know how to tell without dropping in a cartridge.

If the barrel's an original/issue barrel, the chambering should be stamped into the underside of the barrel - remove the stock & it should be visible

8x57 = 7.9 (mm)

Texas by God
08-25-2020, 07:21 PM
A VZ24 stock may not fit that intermediate action but if it IS a reworked K98 it may.....And it should be 7.9mm(8mm)- but Mauserworld is full of its and buts...
Congratulations on your new rifle, want to re-gift it?

Taylor
08-25-2020, 07:33 PM
Actually I did have plans to re-gift it. To my brother. Or..if the barrel is shot out..re-barrel to 308 Winchester.

Texas by God
08-25-2020, 08:02 PM
Actually I did have plans to re-gift it. To my brother. Or..if the barrel is shot out..re-barrel to 308 Winchester.I'll get flamed for this, but if it shoots good as an 8mm- leave it - because the 8mm is a better round than the .308. And I like both cartridges.....

Taylor
08-25-2020, 08:35 PM
If the barrel is good. It will stay. But if it's bad, 308.

waksupi
08-26-2020, 09:22 PM
Yep...this free gun is gonna cost me money.

The most expensive thing a person can ever own is a "free" horse.

Whether it will shoot well or not, leave it 8mm. Next best thing to the .358 Win. There are a lot of headaches trying to make a .308 based cartridge feed in an 8mm. Been there, done that, don't want to repeat it.

Mk42gunner
08-26-2020, 09:45 PM
I think a free boat would run the horse a close second. But you don't have to go out and feed and break ice for the boat to take a drink in the winter.

As to the rifle, even if it is shot out (or more likely ruined by did interest) a replacement 8mm barrel shouldn't be that hard to find.

Robert

largom
08-26-2020, 09:48 PM
I have some 98 Mauser take off barrels that are good, not perfect but good if interested.

Taylor
08-27-2020, 06:23 AM
largom, where are you located in Tennessee? I'm in Clarksville.

I took possession of it yesterday. Will get some more pics later today.

Taylor
08-27-2020, 07:08 AM

Taylor
08-27-2020, 07:11 AM
There is no reference as to the caliber
The stock had been bedded. No rear sight.

Rich/WIS
08-27-2020, 09:16 AM
The center pic in post #21 shows some odd marks on the receiver ring. Front looks like someone used a pipe wrench on it. Is the mark on the rear receiver ring just ding in the metal or is it a crack. Before investing a lot of $ have it checked by a gunsmith and particularly check headspace. If Bubba did a barrel swap (wrench marks make me wonder) there is no way to be sure if the barrel was fitted properly. There is no way to put it back in military configuration unless you replace the barrel, but if it checks out perhaps you can install a new or used receiver sight and have a shooter.

Taylor
08-27-2020, 11:27 AM
It appears to me, is was grinded on, making a flat spot. Then added a weld to bring it back. The bore looks pitted. Slugs at .321. The slugs shows very little grove marks. I think it's done.

Plan: Boyds stock, Shaw barrel in .308. I'll just use the receiver to build on. Of course I already talked to my smith about it.

Yep..gonna cost me money.

charlie b
08-28-2020, 06:44 PM
I'd check the rcvr closely as well. At one time there were some cut receivers that were welded back together.

largom
08-28-2020, 08:21 PM
Taylor, PM sent

swheeler
08-28-2020, 08:26 PM
I don't like the looks of the front receiver ring, looks like two spots that have been welded, may be brittle.

LAGS
08-28-2020, 11:24 PM
To me , those marks on the receiver look like Vice Marks like I have seen on other receivers that had the barrel removed without the proper action wrench.
( Which can also cause Cracks or making the receiver ring Out of Round )
To me , it is worth further investigation.

copperlake
08-29-2020, 01:15 AM
I'll get flamed for this, but if it shoots good as an 8mm- leave it - because the 8mm is a better round than the .308. And I like both cartridges.....

Shush, no one seems to know this.

Taylor
08-29-2020, 06:57 AM
I wasn't looking for a project. But, it was free. I thought a set of sights and on the road.....nope. Maybe later on this winter I'll have my smith give it a good looking over. The way I see it, the barrel is shot out. The receiver does need to be looked at real close. The smith I always used for these old guns, retired and closed up shop. He was good!! I know I have a barrel,stock and sights for a VZ...but where? Gremlins.

pacomdiver
08-29-2020, 08:28 AM
load up some cast for it, it might suprise you. ive had mosins that have very little rifling left shoot good with PC cast and the 13g red dot load

405grain
08-30-2020, 06:10 PM
Judging from the pictures that is one Bubbafied gun. The ramp for the missing front sight indicates that the military stepped barrel was replaced with a sporter barrel at some point. The recoil pad on the cut down military stock indicates that whoever did that work was of marginal technical skill. There are two things wrong with the receiver that are apparent from the picture of the receiver ring. Most obvious are the dents or gouges that look like the rifle was used as a hammer, but even more concerning are the ground off welds. It looks like there were scope mount holes drilled and tapped into the receiver that have been welded over. These welds are way too far back on the receiver which means that the rear hole may have been drilled into the upper bolt lug recess. These aren't precise TIG welds: they look like they were done by someone with the same low technical ability as whoever destroyed the rest of the rifle. I have no expectation that the receiver was re-case hardened after it was welded on, so it's very likely that the case has been drawn from the top of the receiver ring. I would caution you that this action is unsafe to use. On top of that I've converted two Mauser 98's to 308 and there is considerable work to be done to get them to feed properly with that shorter, larger shoulder diameter round. I think that this particular rifle would be unsafe with such a high pressure round, and in consideration of the damage done to it would be hardly worth the effort. I would NOT build a rifle on this receiver.

Mk42gunner
08-30-2020, 07:48 PM
You know, after seeing the receiver and reading weld, I think the best thing for this rifle would be one of the Rhineland .45 ACP conversions. Low pressure and less risk, if you really need to get this particular gun shooting again.

If you just want a new .308, for yourself or your brother, a brand new Savage will be cheaper than parts and labor on a Mauser.

Robert

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2020, 06:42 AM
yup if it shoot exceptably id leave it alone and have fun. Would make a real good cast bullet chucker.

Taylor
08-31-2020, 09:44 AM
Judging from the pictures that is one Bubbafied gun. The ramp for the missing front sight indicates that the military stepped barrel was replaced with a sporter barrel at some point. The recoil pad on the cut down military stock indicates that whoever did that work was of marginal technical skill. There are two things wrong with the receiver that are apparent from the picture of the receiver ring. Most obvious are the dents or gouges that look like the rifle was used as a hammer, but even more concerning are the ground off welds. It looks like there were scope mount holes drilled and tapped into the receiver that have been welded over. These welds are way too far back on the receiver which means that the rear hole may have been drilled into the upper bolt lug recess. These aren't precise TIG welds: they look like they were done by someone with the same low technical ability as whoever destroyed the rest of the rifle. I have no expectation that the receiver was re-case hardened after it was welded on, so it's very likely that the case has been drawn from the top of the receiver ring. I would caution you that this action is unsafe to use. On top of that I've converted two Mauser 98's to 308 and there is considerable work to be done to get them to feed properly with that shorter, larger shoulder diameter round. I think that this particular rifle would be unsafe with such a high pressure round, and in consideration of the damage done to it would be hardly worth the effort. I would NOT build a rifle on this receiver.

My thoughts too

swheeler
08-31-2020, 09:49 AM
+1 ^^^^^^^^