PDA

View Full Version : Got carried away shopping

JAMESGR
08-25-2020, 01:57 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was shopping for SRP and SPR at the LGS . Got emotionally involved. Grabbed a box of REM 6 1/2 SRP. shoudda read the side of the box. I can't use these in my rifle.
So can I safely use these in 38 SPL and 357 MAG. loads??
I checked the archives and didn't find any info on this, not saying it's not there, I just didn't find any.
Thanks
JAMESGR

Conditor22
08-25-2020, 02:15 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?44593-Small-rifle-primers-for-small-pistol-applications
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181020-Small-rifle-primers-in-357-lever-actions

I'm no expert but from what I've read - IF rifle primers fit/cycle rifle primers will work, rifle primers may be a bit hotter and some worry about rifle primers sticking out futher than pistol primers

downzero
08-25-2020, 02:23 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?44593-Small-rifle-primers-for-small-pistol-applications
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181020-Small-rifle-primers-in-357-lever-actions

I'm no expert but from what I've read - IF rifle primers fit/cycle rifle primers will work, rifle primers may be a bit hotter and some worry about rifle primers sticking out futher than pistol primers

Small rifle primers are the same depth as pistol primers. It is large rifle that are taller.

I personally do not load small rifle primers in pistols, but many do without issue.

tazman
08-25-2020, 02:35 PM
It will depend on your particular gun and load. Srp and spp are interchangeable as far as size. The issue comes because the srp are about like magnum spp. They need to be struck harder to ignite.
If you are running max loads the hotter primer may put you a little over max pressure.
If you are running light or midrange loads you are good to go.

gwpercle
08-25-2020, 02:49 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was shopping for SRP and SPR at the LGS . Got emotionally involved. Grabbed a box of REM 6 1/2 SRP. shoudda read the side of the box. I can't use these in my rifle.
I checked the archives and didn't find any info on this, not saying it's not there, I just didn't find any.
Thanks
JAMESGR

It doesn't matter ...buy all you can , stock deep and figure out what to do with them later . If you can't use them ...sell or trade .
Gary

Ed_Shot
08-25-2020, 03:30 PM
It will depend on your particular gun and load. Srp and spp are interchangeable as far as size. The issue comes because the srp are about like magnum spp. They need to be struck harder to ignite.
If you are running max loads the hotter primer may put you a little over max pressure.
If you are running light or midrange loads you are good to go.

Totally agree concerning Rem 6 1/2 use in 38/357. Start low and work up. You have not wasted your money.

cstrickland
08-25-2020, 04:50 PM
I load for 32 SW long, 38 short , 38 spl, 357 mag & 9mm . I use nothing but small rifle primers. I have never had any issues.

In the past I would also warn of max loads, but the guys running 9mm major PF loads are using small rifle primer to make major, so they are in the high pressure range for sure, and they seem to be doing it. . YES you need to work up your loads but there should be no issues.

No I would not use the 6-1/2 in an AR-15 application as remington specifically warns against that on the 6-1/2 ifI am not mistaken .

Mk42gunner
08-25-2020, 07:30 PM
I believe the Remington 6½ primer has a thinner or softer brass cup than the 7½ and is meant for the lower pressure rifle rounds, not saying you can't use them in .38/.357, just do a bit more research first.

In other words, don't trust my (a random guy on the internet) perhaps faulty memory.

With that said, I would use them in the aforementioned .38/.357.

Robert

JAMESGR
08-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input.
I have a brick of these and didn't want just let them sit in the primer cabinet. I'll probably use these in the .357 mag with 8.3 grns of BD. Under the 168 grns. MP 359640 LSWC.
Thank you
JAMESGR

poppy42
08-25-2020, 08:49 PM
Thanks
JAMESGR
Remington primers on my go to. I prefers 7 1/2’s for my AR but I have used 6 1/2’s and never had a problem. But I don’t load anything hot!

Winger Ed.
08-25-2020, 09:26 PM
I've used several hundred SRPs in both my Marlin .38/.357s.
Never had a problem.

44Blam
08-25-2020, 09:41 PM
It doesn't matter ...buy all you can , stock deep and figure out what to do with them later . If you can't use them ...sell or trade .
Gary

^^^ THIS ^^^

I haven't seen small rifle primers in a couple months...

Hanzy4200
08-26-2020, 10:36 AM
A little while back, i was way to tired to be reloading. I primed about 300 .45 acp cases with LRP. I've shot 200 so far with zero issues. SRP's are fine. Wouldnt do it if I had the correct primers, but wouldt turn my nose up iether.

mdi
08-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Over the years I've experimented with different primers in different applications Latest was CCI small pistol magnum primers in 9mm handloads (I have read that small pistol magnum primers are the same/very close to small rifle primers in "power" and construction). Loads were mid-range Universal under a 124 gr JHP. For all intents and purposes I could not see any difference and my chrony didn't tell me much either.

JAMESGR
08-26-2020, 09:49 PM
Thanks, I'm planning now to use these in my pistols and use my SPP's when I run out.
JAMESGR

44Blam
08-26-2020, 10:56 PM
I would keep the small rifle primers -- no telling when you can get more. True story: I thought I wouldn't use many small rifle primers because I thought I would only reload .223 if completely necessary. AND THEN I found a 350 legend upper for $269... Now, I have limited primers and a gun I REALLY like shooting...

kevin c
08-27-2020, 03:41 AM
Use of SRP instead of SPP in pistol cartridges is a familiar practice for action pistol shooters, at least in the past when the major power factor floor was higher. High pressure loads using heavy bullets and fast powders would lead to pierced primers, so the thinking went along the lines that a thicker primer cup would help. The PF is much lower now, and the heavy bullets have fallen out of fashion, so I think the practice is much less common.

Bottom line, some folks used SRP thinking it was safer. That can be debated, but the rounds functioned fine. I also remember the last big primer shortage that lots of folks on the action shooting forums were substituting what ever they could find that would fit. Minor velocity changes were reported, but not much else.

Cherokee
08-27-2020, 11:15 AM
Earlier this month I tried 100 CCI SR primers in 9mm, has a 10% failure-to-fire rate in two striker fired pistols that are 100% reliable with CCI SP primers. YMMV.
I expect the SR will work fine for my Ruger SA's which will be my next test with 38/357.

mdi
08-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Earlier this month I tried 100 CCI SR primers in 9mm, has a 10% failure-to-fire rate in two striker fired pistols that are 100% reliable with CCI SP primers. YMMV.
I expect the SR will work fine for my Ruger SA's which will be my next test with 38/357.

I had a similar situation with one of my 9mm pistols and Winchester SP primers. Just one of my striker fired pistols would have 10%-20% FTFs with ammo loaded with Winchester primers, bur fired 100% of Remington and CCI and Wolf primers. Also the Winchester primed rounds fired fine in 3 other 9mm pistols. I did remove the firing pin, spring and cleaned the parts and the channel the pin worked in and checked condition and firing pin protrusion. I stumbled on an old article in an old reloading text that talked bout "sensitizing" or "preloading" primers, so I tried that (seating primers completely and then adding a bit more "Umph"/pressure, and soon got 100% success in that particular gun with Winchester primers. A bad batch of primers? A bit of gunk in the gun? Dunno, but now all the SP primers I use from Winchester are preloaded and work 100% in all my guns that use SP primers...