PDA

View Full Version : REAL Bullets and lubeing help needed please

boz
08-25-2020, 12:55 PM
Hello all, first post. I've just cast few dozen .45 cal 250 grain Lee REAL bullets for the first time as I've depleted my stock of Thompson factory bullets that I've been using in my 45 & 50 cal Scout pistol. As I don't shoot this gun that often I thought I would hand lube with Thompson bore butter using my fingers but it's too soft, even after an hour or two in the fridge, and a right pain doing it this way. I have also tried Wonder Lube but to me it looks and smells like the same stuff. I've had a look on Youtube for ideas as to what lube to use and how best to do it but found most vids are for nitro burners and not black powder. If this was a nitro gun I would use liquid Allox but I think that won't keep the B/P fouling soft so would appreciate any advice as to what to use and how to apply it to the bullets keeping in mind I'll only be wanting to do a few dozen at a time. I've had a look at the lube section on here and although a great section with loads of recipes for lube I found nothing for my particular application.

metricmonkeywrench
08-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Looking to start that up myself, I just got a .50 REAL mould,if I understand correctly the basic lube is Crisco or 50/50 crisco & beeswax if my understanding is correct.

Hopefully the smart guys will set us straight

And folks please no beating up this bullet mould or Lee products in general

big bore 99
08-25-2020, 01:25 PM
Try SPG I use it hand lubeing my 45-70 in both black and smokeless.

Ozark mike
08-25-2020, 01:29 PM
I use crisco/beeswax in smokeless and black powder nary a problem

mooman76
08-25-2020, 05:40 PM
I don't shoot often so I just use BB in the field. A little messy but I take a rag with me to wipe my hands. I did some up ahead once and if they don't get used for awhile they collect dust and dirt or the lube dries out.

Pipefitter
08-25-2020, 05:43 PM
try cutting your lube with 25%beeswax to thicken it up a bit

Jeff Michel
08-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Unsalted lard and beeswax 50/50.

Gtek
08-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Also playing with it enough you will find geographic location and time of year can play into fine tune of desired. The 50/50 of the half zillion recipes is a good place to start.

boz
08-26-2020, 06:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I've done a bit more research and was surprised to learn that Mr. Lee himself states that the REAL bullet can be lubed with Liquid Allox tumbled for B/P. I know it's a petroleum based product but apparently it doesn't cause the hard tar normally associated with this kind of lube so going to give it a try.

mooman76
08-26-2020, 10:25 AM
I have heard of people having the problem and other not. I believe it depends on how much you shoot before you clean.

arcticap
08-26-2020, 02:02 PM
If this was a nitro gun I would use liquid Allox but I think that won't keep the B/P fouling soft so would appreciate any advice

That seems to be the consensus, that it doesn't soften the fouling very much.

Thanks for all the replies. I've done a bit more research and was surprised to learn that Mr. Lee himself states that the REAL bullet can be lubed with Liquid Allox tumbled for B/P. I know it's a petroleum based product but apparently it doesn't cause the hard tar normally associated with this kind of lube so going to give it a try.

Using Alox may not be such a big deal if shooting REAL bullets because they can have somewhat of a scrubbing affect when being loaded due to their design and diameter.

And you can always apply some Bore Butter at the range, or swab the barrel as needed.
Who wants to apply Bore Butter so far in advance only to end up having it dry out or to make an unnecessary mess before you even need to shoot the bullets?
Loading Bore Butter coated bullets or patches can always be a little bit messy even when they're pre-lubed.
But bring some Bore Butter with you just in case you need it.
You can even swab the bore to apply a light coating of it after the REAL bullet is already loaded.
There's more than one way to skin a cat. :)

vagrantviking
08-26-2020, 05:12 PM
I've tried alox with black powder a couple times and will try to make sure I never do again. Left a residue that took some scrubbing to get out and didn't soften the fouling the way more traditional lives do.

Crisco or olive oil and bee's wax in whatever portion that gives the consistency you want is pretty straight forward. Watch the heat level or use a double boiler.

Good Cheer
08-26-2020, 06:10 PM
Hey boz.
For lube I'd use beeswax mixed with either olive oil or lard or any of the other things in the various recipes. My do-it-all concoction is lanolin, olive oil and beeswax. And laugh if you want to but I've been wanting to try peanut butter for years.:razz:
What kind of fit are the REAL's giving you for bullet to barrel? Are they engraving well? Are you planning on trying card wads?

boz
08-27-2020, 10:31 AM
The REAL bullets seem a good fit, not as tight a fit as the TC Maxi Hunter bullets but then they are a different profile with more surface contact so you would expect that. The accuracy is ok so I guess they are engraving enough but definitely not deep. What benefit will a card wad give me you think, I wasn't planning on trying them but will if I need to ? What I do need is a scope base for this Scout pistol and a set of rings, just can't find anything half decent over here and the eyes don't like open sights any more, I'm getting on a bit now..Got a nice vintage Redfield 1.5 x scope for this gun which is really going to help if I can mount the thing.

mooman76
08-27-2020, 10:51 AM
The cards/over powder was is not always needed or helpful with these but sometimes they are. They help keep gas from escaping up the sides of the bullet or conical in this case. They are though certainly worth a try. You can try it and see if there is improvement in accuracy.

Maven
08-27-2020, 11:34 AM
boz, Several things re REALs. First, if they don't fit your bore or aren't engraved by the rifling, accuracy will be lacking. "Beagling" the mould may help; so may a card OP wad. Second, Mr. Lee sells Liquid Alox, so you may want to take his advice about BP lubes with a grain of salt. Third, and speaking of which, while you're looking up "beagling," look up "Stumpy's Moose Snot," which you can make and adapt to your needs since the original recipe is for a patch lube.

boz
08-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Had a very interesting read on Beagling and Moose Snot, never heard of them before but will try anything to improve accuracy if needed, many thanks, it's early days yet and will give em another try this weekend. Who would have believed it, Beagling that is..I would of thought it would give the bullet wing like seams but apparently not..

boz
08-30-2020, 08:28 PM
Went to the range today, fired two rnds lubed with 2 coats of Liquid Allox and could not load a third until I had swabbed the bore out whereas when using the bore butter I think it was about four or five between cleaning so will be sticking to the messy bore butter. Accuracy was ok and my load was a mild 45 grains of Swiss No.2. launching a 250 grain REAL bullet.