PDA

View Full Version : Lucas gun oil

farmbif
08-24-2020, 12:19 PM
going to most any places that sells guns or shooting stuff the shelf with gun oil and cleaners is a mind boggling array of options these days.
most recently ive put my trust and $ into Lucas gun oil. well its raining this morning and decided to give a couple blue steel and walnut guns a good cleaning. theres only a couple drops of hoops oil left in the bottle and the Lucas bottle is getting kinda low too.
I was thinking there has got to be an economical alternative available by the quart or gallon. Gun oil in little bottles cost is up there. the last gallon of kroil was more than $100 but that's a specialized product and for freeing rusted stuff a few drops goes a long way.
anyone have favorites in gun oil or other oils that have properties that are good for guns?

Texas by God
08-24-2020, 01:45 PM
3in1 oil. Never failed me that I know of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

shortlegs
08-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Eds red would be a good alternative.

gnostic
08-24-2020, 03:12 PM
I'm a fan of Ed's Red and in AR's Mobil 1....

elmacgyver0
08-24-2020, 03:38 PM
I like to use LSA, but the dirty little secret is darned near anything will work.

alamogunr
08-24-2020, 03:53 PM
Check posts by Outpost75. He recommended a food machinery oil by Lubriplate. I can't find the post and I'm not even sure that it was on this board. He doesn't make recommendations lightly.

I also found a recipe for a homemade gun oil that was attributed to him.

Froogal
08-24-2020, 04:06 PM
If all else fails, motor oil is better than nothing.

FLINTNFIRE
08-24-2020, 04:30 PM
Motor oil works pretty good , eds red for cleaning , have some castrol oil that is marked for cold weather gov. surplus weapons oil , Depends on temp outside and firearm , lots of good choices 3 in 1 is a good choice .

rking22
08-24-2020, 04:39 PM
Mobil 1 synthetic, got some 5-40, if memory serves. Works well.

trebleplink
08-24-2020, 04:46 PM
For solvent and light lube, I use Ed's red. For sliding surfaces, I use Lucas "red-n-tacky" grease.

Vopie
08-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Krown oil is the best, by the can, gal, or 55 gal. drum.

Bazoo
08-24-2020, 04:58 PM
I like hoppes oil. I like 3 in 1 also. A bottle of either lasts me a year or more, so the cost isn't too bad. I hear tell mineral oil works just as good, but I haven't tried it yet.

mattw
08-24-2020, 05:38 PM
I really do like the Lucas gun oil, the heavy weight blue stuff. But, I have been using synthetic 2 stroke oil and it really works well. I always clean with a mix of Kroil, ProShot and ATF and that mix is good for quite a while on blued steel.

KCSO
08-24-2020, 05:44 PM
For me I notice that 3 in 1 tends to gum up over time, My favorite was sperm oil and now i use mil surp clp. I bought a couple of gallons some tiem ago and am still using it. Mine was Navy surplus for cleaning cannons I was told, but works like a champ and doesn't gum up in the actions of stored guns.

Pete44mag
08-24-2020, 10:20 PM
I use Mobile 0-20, a quart costs about $8.00-$9.00 and will last a long time. Bought blunt syringes from that other internet company and apply oil with them. Works great for me.

hp246
08-24-2020, 10:49 PM
I've been using Mobile One 0W-20 for lubricant. I'll use Ed's Red to let sit on heavy carbon, then blast it clean with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I do a lot of shooting with dirty powders and the Mobile One does a good job keeping the carbon from building up too much.

Texas by God
08-24-2020, 10:57 PM
AR15 Lube is on the nearest dipstick!

country gent
08-25-2020, 12:22 AM
Most any oil will work. a light weight oil like 5w10 non detergent if you can find it is good, and will get into most areas but will run off quickly for high pressure areas and or long term five 80 weight gear lube a shot wipe on lightly and then a clean dry patch and remove excess. Its as more cling to it.
I used vanishing oil from work on surfaces to preserve. Wipe it on and the carrier evaporated leaving a very thin coat that wasnt noticeable. A Lot of old timers dissolved wax in a solvent and used it for lube the solvent evaporated leaving the this wax coat behind.

Bazoo
08-25-2020, 12:51 AM
I hear tell 3in1 will gum up over long periods but I never leave my guns for periods over a year and normally much less.

samari46
08-25-2020, 01:44 AM
I use Lucas red and tacky on all of the grease points on my Kubota tractor. They have this block mounted on the frame where the front end tie rods are fixed to and this tine little plug you have to remove first. Couple shots in each fitting and make sure that some grease comes out each time you pump each fitting. When down put the plug back in. I grease every 50 hours maybe less if I get into the mud. Great stuff. Have a sneaking it's the same stuff you pay big bucks for that comes in a little syringe that is used on guns. Smells the same and same color. Frank

Ozark mike
08-25-2020, 04:05 AM
Ive used every kind of oil from atf to diesel. Just about any thin oil will work dont fret if the bottles doesent list guns as a use for it heck vasiline even works may have to thin it with some gas or mineral spirits for your favorite auto loader but it will work jus as good as the snake oil at the gun store. If it gums up ya aint handling/cleaning it enough

mozeppa
08-25-2020, 06:57 AM
anyone ever try mineral oil?

redhawk0
08-25-2020, 07:20 AM
I use Lucas gun grease and it works well. It doesn't harden or gum up even in cold temps. But I only put grease in a few areas, most of my oiling is done with Ed's Red Oil. 50/50 ATF/Kero It works well and is pretty cheap to make. If I need a penetration oil, I reach for Kroil.

redhawk

Petrol & Powder
08-25-2020, 07:58 AM
Everyone has their favorite.

In the end, it's not nearly as critical as many believe. I've seen guns go a lifetime that were cleaned with kerosene and oiled with 3 in 1 .
During times of my life when money was tight, plain old ATF served me well. If I had to, I would use it again without the slightest worry.

Here's an excellent article on the topic:
https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

I have a shelf full of gun care products but there are four that I rely on:
1. Clenzoil - This is a lightweight oil/cleaner/protector. If I had to limit myself to one product, this would be it (or just use ATF)
2. Kroil - For cleaning bores when lead bullets are used. It is also a good all-around cleaner.
3. Hoppes #9 - for cleaning bores when using jacketed bullets
4. RIG - for long term storage of ferrous metals

I'll add that a small tube of white lithium grease is useful for sliding surfaces with high loads (like sears).

kenton
08-25-2020, 08:58 AM
I use Lucas red and tacky on all of the grease points on my Kubota tractor. They have this block mounted on the frame where the front end tie rods are fixed to and this tine little plug you have to remove first. Couple shots in each fitting and make sure that some grease comes out each time you pump each fitting. When down put the plug back in. I grease every 50 hours maybe less if I get into the mud. Great stuff. Have a sneaking it's the same stuff you pay big bucks for that comes in a little syringe that is used on guns. Smells the same and same color. Frank

One tube of grease and an order of these you and all your friends would have a lifetime supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Measuring-Measurement-Scientific-Applicator/dp/B07T7H9J3K/ref=pd_vtp_121_4/147-5632267-3119217?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07T7H9J3K&pd_rd_r=638b11b0-db54-4a99-a788-b30d6d6a33e1&pd_rd_w=wUayO&pd_rd_wg=A6H16&pf_rd_p=9f0d957d-c466-420a-817f-4adcb2657c85&pf_rd_r=AAZ6WT49CJ2ZRZXQS68X&refRID=AAZ6WT49CJ2ZRZXQS68X&th=1

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-25-2020, 10:35 AM
My Fav commercial spray can CLP type product is G96.
But mostly, I use Ed's Red for cleaning, and with the Lanolin added to it, it does pretty good as a gun oil.
For the exterior of a gun, the secret Gunshow gun oil is Mobil One mixed with STP engine treatment (70% - 30%), It's cheap to mix up a quart and works well. The STP helps it to stick to the gun metal and inhibits fingerprints, and the synth Mobil one doesn't have the blue rainbow colors like non-synth automotive oils have.

John Boy
08-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Working on my 7th quart of Eezox :drinks:

waksupi
08-25-2020, 12:30 PM
Ed's Red. I converted three gun companies to using it!

JoeJames
08-25-2020, 12:50 PM
My cousin, who had a pawn shop/gun shop for a spell, recommended (and y'all will have to help me out here) a gun oil with either teflon or silicon as an ingredient. Don't remember which he said, but he said it would slick a trigger pull down considerably.

Bazoo
08-25-2020, 01:42 PM
Remoil has Teflon, but I don't see that it does anything to a trigger group other than make it wet. I use remoil for cleaning and for a quick wipe down. It does okay in a 22 action for right now lubrication, but that could be said about anything greasy and thin.

Bazoo
08-25-2020, 01:46 PM
As for silicone, I tried some on my savage 110 trigger and it helped for only a short time. What really worked well for it was graphite. I coated the trigger and sear with a pencil and my trigger pull got crisp. It hasn't worn off through repeated dry and live firings. I've taken to putting it on my double action revolver sears and the parts that rub when cocking for single action. It does real good.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2020, 03:36 PM
anyone ever try mineral oil?

Ed Harris recommends it, says it's all he ever uses.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-25-2020, 06:52 PM
As for silicone, I tried some on my savage 110 trigger and it helped for only a short time. What really worked well for it was graphite. I coated the trigger and sear with a pencil and my trigger pull got crisp. It hasn't worn off through repeated dry and live firings. I've taken to putting it on my double action revolver sears and the parts that rub when cocking for single action. It does real good.

Graphite, eh.
I use Gunslick Graphite Lube, made just for applications like that.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014713535

derek45
08-25-2020, 10:09 PM
Years ago, when I was shooting a lot of USPSA/IPSC, 3-gun and [cough] IDPA, I got tired of buying little 4oz bottles of gun oil.

I tried MOBIL 1 5w30 and it works great.

been using it for many years now.

https://www.servicechamp.com/images/products/large/MOBI530S_1_large.jpg

Plate plinker
08-25-2020, 10:33 PM
I like to use LSA, but the dirty little secret is darned near anything will work.

Yep. I think it comes down to the aroma that we choose. But anything will do.

Bazoo
08-25-2020, 10:33 PM
Graphite, eh.
I use Gunslick Graphite Lube, made just for applications like that.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014713535
Thanks. The link says it's discontinued.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Thanks. The link says it's discontinued.

Yeah it does.
and by the prices some have listed on fleabay, it's likely out of stock most everywhere else too.
Keep an eye out at gunshows, you'll be glad you did when you find some.

Bazoo
08-26-2020, 01:34 PM
I had that thought myself. If I run across any at a reasonable price I'll buy a few.

Petrol & Powder
08-26-2020, 05:37 PM
A cheap tube of white lithium grease from an auto parts store will work just as well as Gunslick, possibly even better and clearly for less money. And it will not leave a black stain on every thing it touches.

Sam Sackett
10-08-2020, 10:40 PM
I use Gunslick. Have for many years. I recently ran out so I came up with my own concoction. I mixed some Lucas R&T with powdered graphite. It's a little thicker than Gunslick, but seems to work well.

Hmmmmmm. Gunslick SDS shows 78% petrolatum and 5% graphite, plus a little "grease". Maybe mix in a little Vaseline to thin it down a bit???

YMMV.

Winger Ed.
10-08-2020, 11:41 PM
I've found that oils are like lawn fertilizer.
They all work when and if you use them.

porthos
10-09-2020, 07:40 PM
this is sort of like "what is your favorite breakfast cereal". i have 2 friends that are each self employed mechanics. they both swear by Lucas products

Walks
10-09-2020, 08:40 PM
I use Ballistol. Have for Many years.
My Dad used it, it's never let me down
That said, Outpost 75 recently turned me on to Mineral Oil as a Preservative.
And it has other uses.
For straight out gun cleaning I use ED's RED.
And Kroil for other things.

dragon813gt
10-09-2020, 09:49 PM
I use Ballistol for everything. It’s non-toxic and can be used on all gun materials. It doesn’t gum up in the winter and it stays where it’s sprayed. It’s not the best at any one thing. But overall it has all the properties I’m looking for. I don’t neglect my guns or tools so a wipe down every now and then keeps everything in good shape.