PDA

View Full Version : New Electric Range Shopping

waksupi
08-24-2020, 11:14 AM
I got rid of my old wood cook stove this past weekend. I'm trying to get rid of the wood burners here in the cabin, too much work for me now.
I'm looking for a new range. I see most of the coil type stoves have an automatic shut off when they reach a certain heat, making problems for things like deep fat frying or stir fry cooking.
I cook with cast iron, so am probably sticking to a coil type top.
Any recommendations that don't cost a fortune?

farmbif
08-24-2020, 11:23 AM
no recommemdations only observation, my kitchen appliances are on their last legs and face the very same options your most likely looking at. stoves made today have so much electronics in them and printed circuit switches I'm not sure which way to go. I'm thinking seriously about going with propane. my neighbor had same problem and rather than giving $800 to Lowes or Home Depot got a pretty awesome manual stainless propane stove off amazon delivered for less than $500. they run it off little 20 and 30lb tanks and put the piping in themselves with yellow covered ss corrugated tubing.

Thumbcocker
08-24-2020, 11:24 AM
Propane is great when the power is out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MT Gianni
08-24-2020, 11:25 AM
A lot get scrapped when still in great working shape because mama wants a new kitchen. I am much more familiar with the gas side but I would call someone who does remodels in Whitefish and ask what they have recently scrapped out.

frkelly74
08-24-2020, 11:29 AM
We have been using the entry level electric range for quite a while. We , on purpose , avoided all the electronic hoo haa that modern appliances seem to have to have. It is an Amana and the sticker claims '' American Made". These were about $350 a couple of years ago and Both Home Depot and Menards had them then. We have had two of them, The first one stayed with the house we sold in Florida. No frills but they work.

MUSTANG
08-24-2020, 11:54 AM
Waksupi:

We replaced our Electric Range/Oven at the Kalispell house with a Propane model. (Unique brand :https://bensdiscountsupply.com/unique-classic-24-propane-range-battery-ignition-variable-btu-sealed-burners-11-000-btu-largest-cast-iron-grates-with-window-ugp-24g-of1-b-black/). At the time; Home Depot and Lowes did not carry "Propane" off grid style ranges; but now seem to have some available : https://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Ranges-Gas-Ranges/Unique/Propane/N-5yc1vZc3oyZnr6Z1z1b5h5?mtc=SEM-VF-F_D29A-B-D29A-Multi-Generic-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-MajorAppl_DSA_No_Audience&cm_mmc=SEM-VF-F_D29A-B-D29A-Multi-Generic-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-MajorAppl_DSA_No_Audience-71700000032402203-58700003840584963-39700046827885196&msclkid=1b33875e22b81d449711d81dfd93a839&gclid=CM_C6KeWtOsCFS0kfgodgS4FIA&gclsrc=ds

Reasons we decided to go this route:
1. Forced to replace the Electric Range when a Wind storm downed the Electric lines to the house and the Range (and many other devices) got electrically burned out when 220V went down 110V legs in the house (fried the control panel for the Oven Part).

2. We wanted to have a stove that would work when the Electric Lines are downed by Ice or Wind Storms.

3. We wanted a stove that could operate to heat the house in Winter if we lost Power to HAVC, and the blower on the Wood Stove. Even at 20 below; 4 top burners and at the Oven(with door open) puts out a lot of BTU's to heat the house. We replaced the 500 Gallon Propane Tank with a 1000 Gallon Propane tank to ensure we had enough Propane to go through and entire year without refilling. We can refill in Aug/Sept when prices are usually the lowest; and good until the next Fall.

4. Gas (Propane) is better cooking according to my wife.

Should you consider going the Gas Stove Way - BEWARE -
a. Many of the Gas stoves advertised actually have electric ovens. Make sure the oven is gas.
b. I believe it's better to get a Propane Stove that is factory configured for Propane rather than trying to change out jets from Natural Gas to Propane.
c. Make sure the Ignitors are battery operated - not Electric 110v operated. With the battery ignitors; one can use matches if needed to light the burners/oven. BUT - most of the 110v ignitors are set up to "TOTALY SHUT OFF GAS" if the 110v goes out; done to meet California Earth Quake requirements; this sucks for those living rural/remotely. Buy a stove without those California Engineered controls!!.

PS - If all you want is an electric stove with burners (no oven) drop me a PM. I will give you the old 220v electric range. It has a glass top; all 4 electric burners still work Great.

Oven, no bueno because the control panel got fried; although someone may be able to rework the oven control panel; I was unable to find replacement parts for the control panel, and my wife wanted to go Propane.)

beemer
08-24-2020, 12:35 PM
I just bought a used wood cook stove for my little shop, will serve as heat and a coffee warmer. I, like a lot here like to use propane but the suppliers around here are crazy so I switched to electric. The last propane I bought did it for me. They filled three 500 gal. tanks out of the same truck, my Mother's at $2,75 a gallon, my brother's at $2.25 a gallon and mine at $4.15 a gallon. I called and with the load of garbage I got I thought they needed to go into politics.

I was paying $65-$75 a month for cooking ,hot water and a rarely used wall heater. I replaced the range and water heater and bought a Duraflame electric heater. My electric bill went up $20 a month.

My wife wanted a smooth top but next time wants a coil type. I will say that they are easier to clean but more fragile and replacing the element is a problem. We tent to buy the simplest one we can get, just less problems. I do try to get the one she wants if possible as she feeds me rather well. She likes to use cast iron as well. We keep a propane camp stove as backup for power outages.

blackthorn
08-24-2020, 12:56 PM
A year or so ago our electric (coil) stove packed it in. Wife decided we should get a glass top electric range, and we did. Worst thing we have done in a long time! The thing takes forever to boil a pot of water because the element keeps cycling off and on. She complains about how hard it is to keep clean. If you do not clean the top between every use, the bits of water with whatever they contain, become baked onto the surface. When that happens, you need a special cleaner (paste in a jar) to get it off. Oh, one other thing, our glass top stove has an oven that is less than impressive. I am at the point that I am seriously considering just biting the financial bullet and having the gas system extended to serve the stove and buying a real good commercial grade gas range. SO, my advice would be---if you can't find a coil burner served range (I am not sure what the new ones are like) find a good propane (or Natural gas if available) range. Good luck!

jsizemore
08-24-2020, 01:17 PM
I replace a bunch of older electric ranges with stoves like frkelly74 uses. No frills and no thrills. Parts are inexpensive and plentiful when compared to signature or high end makes. Power requirements are less then original equipment. Light weight too. Don't forget to install the anti tip bracket.

rancher1913
08-24-2020, 01:36 PM
always use electric in rental houses and always use gas in your own. its awfully nice to cook when the power is out. hopefully if you do go electric you keep your old cook stove around for heat and end of the world cooking.

gwpercle
08-24-2020, 04:58 PM
Gas stove beats electric Seven ways to Sunday ....Gas and cast iron pots do OK .
By the way ... do you even have electricity or is the lighting by still with kerosene lamps .
Avoid the new fangled Glass Top stoves ...they don't play well with cast iron pots and pans at all .
Gary

Mal Paso
08-24-2020, 08:19 PM
I have a propane Premier Stove, made in the USA, with Battery powered Electric Spark ignition. It's been 3 years now on the same 8 AAs. There is no power cord so it works the same when the power's out, even the oven. Simmer doesn't go as low as I would like but that is my only complaint. $400 for the 30" one I got with no window

waksupi
08-24-2020, 08:35 PM
Waksupi:

We replaced our Electric Range/Oven at the Kalispell house with a Propane model. (Unique brand :https://bensdiscountsupply.com/unique-classic-24-propane-range-battery-ignition-variable-btu-sealed-burners-11-000-btu-largest-cast-iron-grates-with-window-ugp-24g-of1-b-black/). At the time; Home Depot and Lowes did not carry "Propane" off grid style ranges; but now seem to have some available : https://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Ranges-Gas-Ranges/Unique/Propane/N-5yc1vZc3oyZnr6Z1z1b5h5?mtc=SEM-VF-F_D29A-B-D29A-Multi-Generic-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-MajorAppl_DSA_No_Audience&cm_mmc=SEM-VF-F_D29A-B-D29A-Multi-Generic-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-MajorAppl_DSA_No_Audience-71700000032402203-58700003840584963-39700046827885196&msclkid=1b33875e22b81d449711d81dfd93a839&gclid=CM_C6KeWtOsCFS0kfgodgS4FIA&gclsrc=ds

Reasons we decided to go this route:
1. Forced to replace the Electric Range when a Wind storm downed the Electric lines to the house and the Range (and many other devices) got electrically burned out when 220V went down 110V legs in the house (fried the control panel for the Oven Part).

2. We wanted to have a stove that would work when the Electric Lines are downed by Ice or Wind Storms.

3. We wanted a stove that could operate to heat the house in Winter if we lost Power to HAVC, and the blower on the Wood Stove. Even at 20 below; 4 top burners and at the Oven(with door open) puts out a lot of BTU's to heat the house. We replaced the 500 Gallon Propane Tank with a 1000 Gallon Propane tank to ensure we had enough Propane to go through and entire year without refilling. We can refill in Aug/Sept when prices are usually the lowest; and good until the next Fall.

4. Gas (Propane) is better cooking according to my wife.

Should you consider going the Gas Stove Way - BEWARE -
a. Many of the Gas stoves advertised actually have electric ovens. Make sure the oven is gas.
b. I believe it's better to get a Propane Stove that is factory configured for Propane rather than trying to change out jets from Natural Gas to Propane.
c. Make sure the Ignitors are battery operated - not Electric 110v operated. With the battery ignitors; one can use matches if needed to light the burners/oven. BUT - most of the 110v ignitors are set up to "TOTALY SHUT OFF GAS" if the 110v goes out; done to meet California Earth Quake requirements; this sucks for those living rural/remotely. Buy a stove without those California Engineered controls!!.

PS - If all you want is an electric stove with burners (no oven) drop me a PM. I will give you the old 220v electric range. It has a glass top; all 4 electric burners still work Great.

Oven, no bueno because the control panel got fried; although someone may be able to rework the oven control panel; I was unable to find replacement parts for the control panel, and my wife wanted to go Propane.)

I wasn't aware these were available. I did look at the electric ones at Home Depot today, not impressed. The propane models would be the ticket for me. I'll check them out.

Alstep
08-24-2020, 08:57 PM
You're gonna regret getting rid of your old wood cook stove. Wish I was near you, I'd have taken it off your hands. We had one in the old farmhouse where I grew up. Nothing to go wrong, and you're off the grid. Completely independent.
My wife is happy with a glass top electric Frigidaire. Had an element go bad under the top and in the oven, easy to replace. Parts available on line. Over 15 years of service so far, still cooking 3 squares every day.

rockrat
08-24-2020, 11:28 PM
We have a propane stove. Unfortunately, it uses main power to light the oven and the stove top burners. When power went out, we just used a lighter for the stove top, but the oven was a no go.

Mal Paso
08-24-2020, 11:31 PM
I wasn't aware these were available. I did look at the electric ones at Home Depot today, not impressed. The propane models would be the ticket for me. I'll check them out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-30-in-3-91-cu-ft-Battery-Spark-Ignition-Gas-Range-in-Black-BFK100BP/203358114

Couldn't find my stove listed but I ordered it from HD online and had it delivered to the store.

waksupi
08-25-2020, 12:18 AM
You're gonna regret getting rid of your old wood cook stove. Wish I was near you, I'd have taken it off your hands. We had one in the old farmhouse where I grew up. Nothing to go wrong, and you're off the grid. Completely independent.
My wife is happy with a glass top electric Frigidaire. Had an element go bad under the top and in the oven, easy to replace. Parts available on line. Over 15 years of service so far, still cooking 3 squares every day.

I won't regret it. I have another propane burner I've done the majority of my cooking on the past few years, and a roaster. Lots of other camping equipment to fall back on, not to mention my camper.

waksupi
08-25-2020, 12:18 AM
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-30-in-3-91-cu-ft-Battery-Spark-Ignition-Gas-Range-in-Black-BFK100BP/203358114

Couldn't find my stove listed but I ordered it from HD online and had it delivered to the store.

I may give that a shot.

MrWolf
08-25-2020, 07:52 AM
I use a razor blade to scrape my glass top. I use it it first with some Clorox cleanup then some windex. Works for me and so far girlfriend hadn't complained.

Petrol & Powder
08-25-2020, 08:08 AM
Another vote here for Propane.

Excellent control of the heat. Works ALL the time, even when the power is off.

Make sure to get one with at least a couple of large burners. A continuous grate has become the standard and that's actually useful; you can slide pots without picking them up. Make sure the grate is easily removed for cleaning; most just lift off and few are a PITA to clean.

jonp
08-25-2020, 08:38 AM
Put in a propane stove. I removed electric stove and water heater when I bought the house and piped it myself with the yellow gas pipe. Bought online with all the fittings from a place in Florida. I also removed the central furnace and put wall gas heaters in rooms saved a ton. Yes, you can put a smaller one in a bedroom as long as the air flow volume through the room is sufficient and it has an auto off low O2, tip over on it and put a CO2 alarm in the room
My cabin up north has a gas stove and fridge. Can't recommend strongly enough to go that route. Up north I use both smaller size tanks and they run good with the large RV tanks especially easy to move around. Use an automatic switch over and you will be good

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-25-2020, 10:11 AM
I prefer gas over electric for cooking, especially for cast Iron.

As to buying a stove, unless you want/need to buy new, I would suggest searching out used stoves. Facebook Marketplace is full of used stoves, many are Free...replaced because of remodeling. Facebook isn't like craigslist where people are trying to sell as a side gig, Facebook is full of people trying to get rid of stuff and many are willing to give stuff away. Two years ago, I decided to upgrade, I found a real nice nat gas stove, looked like new, the guy was doing a total kitchen remodel and had all Kitchen appliances listed for $500. When I called, he said someone already took bought the frig for the $500 price (it must have been a nice frig?) and I could have the stove for free. Just three weeks ago, a friend's electric stove went out, He was gonna buy new, I told him to wait a few days, I'd try to fine him one. He wanted a flat glass top, I found one, price was free, again it looked like new, he was very happy. ....As I type this, I realize your area of Montana may not have these listed so commonly as they are listed in my area (50 miles outside of Minneapolis).

bangerjim
08-25-2020, 12:24 PM
We have a high end glass top stove. Only use the oven! We use an induction counter-top "hotplate" to cook everything! Actually have 2 of them. Can boil water in a quart pot in 3 minutes. Very fast and ultra accurate. I can control the cook temp within 5°F with the digital controls. Amazing to watch a boiling pot stop by just decreasing the temp by 5!

The cost around $100 and plug into a standard outlet. You need to have "induction-rated" cooking pots & pans, as they will not work with aluminum or you standard cookware.

They have easy to use temp ranges that you can increase or decrease with just the touch of a button. Max temp is "SEAR" which is above the 425°F standard setting. It is REALLY HOT & FAST!.

My choice below induction would be natural gas.........pro chefs only use gas and it is so easy to control. We don't have nat gas in our neighborhood and propane is way too costly and a pain to change out bottles. But in a remote cabin it would probably be OK.

Mal Paso
08-25-2020, 06:56 PM
I had an induction cook top. It lasted just past the warranty and Pifted. It was cool but $50/year is too much for a cook top.

Three44s
08-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Well we are “cookin’ with gas now”!

Who ever coined that phrase knew what they were talking about!

Three44s

elmacgyver0
08-25-2020, 10:04 PM
Watch some of the cooking shows on TV.
You will never see them using an electric cook top.
Real chefs would get caught dead using electric.
There is a reason for that.

Finster101
08-25-2020, 10:13 PM
I have a propane Premier Stove, made in the USA, with Battery powered Electric Spark ignition. It's been 3 years now on the same 8 AAs. There is no power cord so it works the same when the power's out, even the oven. Simmer doesn't go as low as I would like but that is my only complaint. $400 for the 30" one I got with no window

You should be able to adjust the simmer setting. On my stove I had to pull the knobs off and use a slim screwdriver to adjust the simmer setting. Make sure you don't get it so low a ceiling fan or AC vent will blow it out. You may have to search for your particular stove but I bet it's there.

Handloader109
08-25-2020, 10:34 PM
we've used propane for decades. in previous house, propane stove, 4 burner and oven would go 2 months plus on a 20 lb gas grill size tank. current house is all electric but we changed out the range top to propane. easy to change jets. 5 minutes each, easy. it uses a 100 lb tank full in roughly 13 months. I've got on of these and a couple of rv 30 lb tanks for backup. love the gas

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Land Owner
08-26-2020, 05:14 AM
Don't know Montana. Here, we've got the "Scratch and Dent" Appliance Wearhouse. Takes about 40% off of the Big Box store price by comparison. Availability was better than we thought. Outfitted a remodeled home with all new kitchen appliances (minor dings and nicks notwithstanding) for under $1.5K, and could have gone lower, but wanted to keep the overall appearance and sale price of the home higher.

bangerjim
08-26-2020, 12:53 PM
I had an induction cook top. It lasted just past the warranty and Pifted. It was cool but $50/year is too much for a cook top.

Sorry to hear that. We have had our induction units for over 2.5 years and use multiple times a day. Never a problem. Well.....just one..............getting my wife to cook, now that I have so much fun doing it!!!!! HA.....ha!

banger

MT Gianni
08-26-2020, 05:27 PM
You should be able to adjust the simmer setting. On my stove I had to pull the knobs off and use a slim screwdriver to adjust the simmer setting. Make sure you don't get it so low a ceiling fan or AC vent will blow it out. You may have to search for your particular stove but I bet it's there.

With todays new and improved stoves all the adjustment is gone out of them. Fixed orifices with no minimum adjustment in the valves. In an old range the orifice is a twist adjust with a 9/16 wrench and minimum flame just as you said. Turn it all the way in for LP.

Mal Paso
08-26-2020, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear that. We have had our induction units for over 2.5 years and use multiple times a day. Never a problem. Well.....just one..............getting my wife to cook, now that I have so much fun doing it!!!!! HA.....ha!
banger

I bought it while looking for an off grid propane stove (we have had power out for weeks). It was very cool, a high tech burner but I had the 4 burner stove when the induction died. That space was quickly taken over with a stand mixer for bread and there's no getting it back.

With todays new and improved stoves all the adjustment is gone out of them. Fixed orifices with no minimum adjustment in the valves. In an old range the orifice is a twist adjust with a 9/16 wrench and minimum flame just as you said. Turn it all the way in for LP.

This is true. My stove even mentioned it in the ad that there was no low simmer. I just use a cast iron plate to waste some heat, no problem. It was a $400 stove with no frills. If you want that low simmer you need to find a stove with dual valves/burners, inner burner for low, outer burner for high. I noticed when I looked for the OP there were some $1500 and up battery operated, made in USA stoves. I'll bet one of those has simmer.

The stove I bought less than 3 years ago shipped as Natural Gas with tighten down jets for propane.

The battery operated spark ignition eliminates that 700 watt carbide igniter that comes on every time the oven relights during the bake cycle. This battery stove has a 2 stage oven burner that stays lit through the bake cycle.

FLINTNFIRE
08-27-2020, 12:53 AM
I like gas for cooking , but house here has electric , I put in glass topped and prefer them over coil style as they are easier to clean , any boil over stays on top easy to wipe up , wipe after use you will not have the clean up problem , oh all I cook with is cast iron , and yes you can can on the stove top I have .

My stoves , yes I have 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs have been in use for last 15 years now , and still running strong and look like new .

waksupi
08-27-2020, 11:59 AM
I bought it while looking for an off grid propane stove (we have had power out for weeks). It was very cool, a high tech burner but I had the 4 burner stove when the induction died. That space was quickly taken over with a stand mixer for bread and there's no getting it back.

This is true. My stove even mentioned it in the ad that there was no low simmer. I just use a cast iron plate to waste some heat, no problem. It was a $400 stove with no frills. If you want that low simmer you need to find a stove with dual valves/burners, inner burner for low, outer burner for high. I noticed when I looked for the OP there were some $1500 and up battery operated, made in USA stoves. I'll bet one of those has simmer.

The stove I bought less than 3 years ago shipped as Natural Gas with tighten down jets for propane.

The battery operated spark ignition eliminates that 700 watt carbide igniter that comes on every time the oven relights during the bake cycle. This battery stove has a 2 stage oven burner that stays lit through the bake cycle.

Could you explain the tightening down of the jets for propane? You don't need different orifices?

Finster101
08-27-2020, 12:08 PM

The range I did it on was a new Kitchen Aid we purchased 4 years ago.

The only time I have heard that you would need to change orifices is going from natural gas to propane or vise versa.

yeahbub
08-27-2020, 12:33 PM
Propane always works IF the stove doesn't rely on power for ignition or oven thermometer operation..

If having power is a given, what about induction stoves? I'll need to replace the aging electric I have and will be looking for an induction replacement. No point in heating anything but the pot that's on the "burner". I like the idea of a cool stovetop. Just make sure you don't have a metal sliver stuck in your finger and wave it over the stove. Some people have said they'd like one, but they didn't want to buy a whole set of the "special cookware" needed for the stive to work. . . !??!?!?!??. Nonsense! If the container is metal, it'll heat just fine.

MT Gianni
08-27-2020, 02:30 PM
For an older range the burner slides on the orifice with an air adjustment on it. There is a 9/16" or 1/2" orifice that tightens down on a tapered spud, somewhat like two ice cream cones fitting together. For natural gas the outer orifice will be turned out 4-5 flats, for LP you turn it until it feels snug. The air should be adjusted so there is no lifting of the flame and it should be sharp at the end with a minimal amount of yellow. It should not be a soft flame such as a candle. The most important is that the burner lights from the pilot. The pilot adjustments may be a small screw coming off the manifold or it may come off the oven valve. If it is off the valve there will be several places it may be located. You will need to remove the knob and turn a small screw from Nat to LP. Generally Nat is on the left straight up is off and 90 degrees right is LP.
PM me for a phone number if you get stuck.

gon2shoot
08-27-2020, 03:49 PM
Check out Crosley brand stuff. I bought new no-frills stove and freezer, decent price and lifetime (or 10 year whichever comes first) warranty

waksupi
08-27-2020, 07:17 PM
I've located a local used propane stove for $100. It's supposed to be in good condition. I'm taking a look on Saturday.

Mal Paso
08-27-2020, 08:20 PM
Could you explain the tightening down of the jets for propane? You don't need different orifices?

There are actually 2 orifices, one inside the other. Turn the outer cap with the Natural Gas jet clockwise and tighten it against the inner propane jet to make it a propane stove. There were 5 jets to do along with flipping the spacer on the pressure regulator. Most stoves ship Natural Gas but can be converted. Instructions for propane will be with a new stove if it's convertible.

Used to be a second set of jets inside the stove and you would swap them. A few probably still do it that way.

Propane is heavier so is run at Higher pressure through Smaller orifices.

Mal Paso
08-27-2020, 08:35 PM
I've located a local used propane stove for $100. It's supposed to be in good condition. I'm taking a look on Saturday.

My favorite is standing pilot but the gubberment hates them for the tiny bit of gas they use. Most recent stoves use hot surface ignition which takes 700 watts each relight. Important to know if you run one on solar or generator. If it's hot surface, plug it in, turn the oven on and see if you get a red glow at the back of the broiler. Gas doesn't have to be hooked up.