PDA

View Full Version : 1876 win. side plates ??

Hootmix
08-23-2020, 06:31 PM
Well,, it looks like I'm going to have to make a set of side plate for a 76 win. i'm rebuilding,, sooooo , what kind of metal- steel do I need , and where can I get some? May have to make a finger lever ,, also.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Hootmix
08-25-2020, 06:16 PM
I'v got the tenion for the forearm cap made, and the mag. tube, working on the mag. tube ring, still thinking ahead about the side plates ,, any info. on what material to use would be appreciated.

Mk42gunner
08-25-2020, 07:51 PM
I've been waiting for someone more knowledgeable than me to give you an answer, but it seems no one is interested, so you get mine.

I'm not all that familiar with the 76, or any of the Henry derivative Winchester rifles, other than holding a few Model 1873's. Also watched a few video's.

If I am thinking correctly, the side plate is just a flat piece of steel with sharply angled sides held in by a single screw on each side, right? If so, I don't think it adds much if any structural integrity to the action.

I would try using a piece of mild steel, of a thickness to fill the dovetail and filed or ground to shape.

Were the Model 76's steel or iron frames? IIRC the first of the 73's were iron and didn't change to steel until about 1880.

Good Luck,

Robert

square butte
08-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Unless you just want to make a set - I think the Uberti 76's are identical to the originals. I think their parts folks will sell you a set if they are not all jammed up from the chinese virus.

Hootmix
08-25-2020, 11:23 PM
Hey fellers,, I'm rebuilding a Chaparral and the original win.76 parts do fit,, when I find some parts they are very high priced. I do enjoy making the parts but,, I will buy some parts as I get along. The side plates I can make and I agree w/ Mk42 ,, I think mild steel will do ,, and thanks for the holler back .

KCSO
08-26-2020, 10:38 AM
THe side plate are not a load bearing assembly so any carbon steel should work. If you can get it 12L14 is the most machinable and will blue and brown well, this is what Bill Large used for barrels and they have lasted fo years. Other wise 4140 will be way stronger than you need an any steel in between. If you PM me I can send you a simple chart of steel machinability.

Hootmix
08-26-2020, 11:39 AM
pm sent.