PDA

View Full Version : Antique Ideal Reloading Tool Resizing?

Kev18
08-22-2020, 11:17 PM
I had an ideal reloading tool for my 40-82 Winchester for quite a few years. I would be able to use the tool to reload cartridges in the field if only it could resize... I know a case fired in a chamber should rechamber fine, but this caliber is very picky. A newly loaded cartridge will not chamber if it hasnt been resized. For now I use RCBS molds on my press and it works fine for resizing it. But I was wondering if the tool does actually resize or is there something I can make to resize my brass in the field which would be cool.? :veryconfu

cwtebay
08-23-2020, 01:12 AM
I don't know if they're all the same, but I have several of the tong tools (Winchester and Lyman). I believe they neck size, so you should be fine as long as the same rifle is used (barring trim length).
I would be willing to bet a whole lot of ammo has been reloaded with them with little other resizing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kev18
08-23-2020, 08:25 AM
I don't know if they're all the same, but I have several of the tong tools (Winchester and Lyman). I believe they neck size, so you should be fine as long as the same rifle is used (barring trim length).
I would be willing to bet a whole lot of ammo has been reloaded with them with little other resizing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

How do you go about neck sizing?

elk hunter
08-23-2020, 09:29 AM
Generally speaking cases will expand a little each time they are fired and at some point they will need to be sized back to something close to original in order to fit the chamber. Ideal/Lyman hand reloading tools, that use the small nut cracker/310 type dies, originally used a separate sizing die. You had to wipe the case off, apply lube, then using a vise press the case in to the die or drive the case in to the die, we used a rawhide mallet, then drive the case out using the mallet and a rod. Not very fast but it did work. I recently found one of those dies, caliber 38-55, while looking thru a drawer full of old stuff.

Kev18
08-23-2020, 12:02 PM
I have one for 45-70 that I barely use too, but this is what I have.
https://i.imgur.com/5yaARcy.jpg

Bent Ramrod
08-23-2020, 12:03 PM
The Ideal #4 and #6 tools with integral chamber and boolit mould neither resized nor neck sized, but merely crimped the standard boolit (produced by the mould) on the neck of the case.

The Ideal #3 (and the more modern 310) had separate “double-adjustable” dies for neck sizing, expanding, and boolit seating/crimping. These tools would handle a variety of boolit lengths and styles of a given caliber, and could be crimped or not as the reloader wished, which was why there was no integral mould; it had to be purchased separately.

Eventually, even with black powder, the shells would get sticky and difficult to chamber. Then you hauled out the trusty Ideal drive-in-and-out full-length sizing die, and laboriously ran your shells through that. Dies of this sort are common on the auction sites, although if you have an unusual caliber, it might take some watchful waiting to get one.

If you want an antique tool that eliminates sticky cases, see if you can find a Winchester 1894 tool. If you have the proper Winchester mould (or somebody else’s standard boolit mould that doesn’t need sizing, or some already sized and lubed boolits), you load the shell, set the boolit in the case mouth, and slowly turn the die in while squeezing the lever until the die is fully bottomed out. This seats and crimps the boolit, and full-length sizes the shell while it does so. Again, 1894 tools show up often on the auction sites, but finding one in your chambering might take a while.

You can also get a bench press die set to full-length resize the cases, and then use your tong tool for the rest of the operation. Out in the woods, the sizing would require a Lee Hand Press, which is certainly portable, but a lot less handy than an 1894 tool. But one full length resizing should afford you several reloadings with the tong tool before the shells get sticky again.

1hole
08-24-2020, 04:09 PM
... I know a case fired in a chamber should rechamber fine, but this caliber is very picky. A newly loaded cartridge will not chamber if it hasnt been resized.

A chamber is a chamber, I don't believe there's anything unique or picky about any of them.

The only thing that can stop a new cartridge from chambering is that some part of it is too big. Since the case body is unchanged the neck has to be too big OR the bullets are seated much too far out, or both. The only way the neck can get too big is to cram an oversize bullet down its throat - and no body resizer is going to fix that. Check the diameter of your bullets and see if you can spot the real problem.

Kev18
08-24-2020, 05:02 PM
A chamber is a chamber, I don't believe there's anything unique or picky about any of them.

The only thing that can stop a new cartridge from chambering is that some part of it is too big. Since the case body is unchanged the neck has to be too big OR the bullets are seated much too far out, or both. The only way the neck can get too big is to cram an oversize bullet down its throat - and no body resizer is going to fix that. Check the diameter of your bullets and see if you can spot the real problem.

Everything is fine. Its the caliber thats picky. Ive worked years on only this caliber. If you've never laoded for it, you can't understand. I have multiple threads on here and talked to alot a few people who have loaded it and they all agree. Its complicated. You need a perfect crimp and case length for it to chamber. One bulge and its tight. Just the minuscule length that the case stretches when firing causes it not to chamber if not resized.
Great caliber, pain to reload. And its the first one I ever loaded for.

Conditor22
08-24-2020, 05:41 PM
how about getting a hand press? they aren't that big or heavy and should get the job done with your dies and some lube

LEE PRECISION 90685 Cast Iron Reloading Hand Press Only (Red)

44magLeo
08-25-2020, 04:38 PM
Ideal made a Shell Sizer. Lyman continued making them. It is a round piece of steel with a full length sizer cut into it. It comes with a punch. You lube the case then carefully drive the case in the Shell Sizer. Flip the die over and use the punch to drive the case out.
I have a Shell Sizer for most of the calibers I load with the Lyman 310 tool sets I have.
Finding one that is for your cartridge may take some searching or Contact the 310 Shop. He is kinda busy but he can make one.
Here's a pic of one.
Leo

Ozark mike
08-25-2020, 04:44 PM
Just get a lee loader. The kind ya hit with a mallet and still portable

Kev18
08-25-2020, 05:26 PM
Just get a lee loader. The kind ya hit with a mallet and still portable

I would if they would make some for my caliber.

Ozark mike
08-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Crap thats dumb i thought they would support an old cartridge like that

Kev18
08-26-2020, 09:15 PM
Crap thats dumb i thought they would support an old cartridge like that

Maybe on special order. Im not sure how much that would cost.

44magLeo
08-27-2020, 04:43 PM
I was just on the310shop.net and they don't list the 40-82, they do list a 40-65 in a 310 die set. If they are both a straight wall cases of the same base diameter you might be able to use it as a neck size die.
On your reloaded cases that won't chamber, what part of the case prevents the chambering? Is it at the neck due to a crimp problem or at the base of the case or somewhere else?
I have never used a set like the ones you show in your pic. I have only used the 310 sets. So I'm kinda guessing on just how they work. On your sets the bullet seating and crimp is set to match the bullet the molds make.
If you are using a different bullet the bullet may not be seating to the right depth to have the case crimp into the crimp groove on the bullet.
With a 310 set you can adjust the seating depth of the bullet as well as the crimp strength.
I don't know if one of the 40-65 sets could be adjusted out far enough even in a long set of handles to work with the 40-82 cases.
Just milling ideas around in my head, so take my comments as you will.
Leo

uscra112
08-27-2020, 06:45 PM
Are they failing to chamber because the neck is too tight for the loaded cartridge? This is a known problem with cartridge/chamber designs from the blackpowder/paper-patch era, when you try to shoot unpatched bullets sized to or a bit over groove diameter.

barrabruce
08-28-2020, 10:01 AM
I have been known to clean and run a bit of grease on a case and chamber that in one gun I owned just to size the brass enough for it too work a bit longer before I got a tool, for it.
Easy does it to stop wrinkles.
A slow and painful way but works.
Depends how easy it is to lever in without any issues.
A cleaning rod can help a bit to get them out.

Now Some folks have made dies using a bit of pipe and Lino.
The Lino shrinks a little
The case is cast around in the pipe.
Usually a little short.
And tapped in long gently with lube
The trick to keep it going is to slightly taper the case mouth gentle so it doesn’t scratch out the lead.

What some people have down to load a round can be quite ingenious.
A long nail and a neck size rod for the primer and a piece of wood.

And appropriate size hole in a block of hard wood can also neck size.

I have tried these at some time or other.

I prefer the case in the chamber trick as it is already perfect size and readily available.
Ha

Ymmv

Kev18
08-28-2020, 01:22 PM
The neck doesnt chamber because it opens up when firing, which also causes it to get a tad longer. The next bullet crimped in wont chamber due to a lightly bulged crimp. If I don't fully resize them, the base of the case near the rim area has trouble making its way into the chamber.
I tried everything. It only works when I pass them through a resizing die.

gwpercle
08-28-2020, 02:03 PM
I had an ideal reloading tool for my 40-82 Winchester for quite a few years. I would be able to use the tool to reload cartridges in the field if only it could resize... I know a case fired in a chamber should rechamber fine, but this caliber is very picky. A newly loaded cartridge will not chamber if it hasnt been resized. For now I use RCBS molds on my press and it works fine for resizing it. But I was wondering if the tool does actually resize or is there something I can make to resize my brass in the field which would be cool.? :veryconfu

" For now I use RCBS molds on my press and it works fine for resizing it ."

How do you resize a case with a boolit mould and how do you mount a boolit mold in your press ?

Never mind ...I wouldn't understand the answer ... just let me say :
1.) RCBS resizing Die and shell holder
2.) Lee Hand Press or member Buchanan Hand Press (best )

If you get a complete set of 40-82 Winchester dies (not just a resizing die but the complete die set) and the hand press you can full length resize them and reload in the field ...or anywhere ... and not need the Antique Tool thing at all .

I might be wrong but I believe the 310 and Antique tools only neck size , check before you buy one . Most of the Antique tools are missing parts ...mine is and I had no clue ...learned the hard way .

Lee or our own member Buchanan's Hand Press will beat that antique tool seven ways to Sunday .
Gary

GOPHER SLAYER
08-29-2020, 06:28 PM
When you use the 310 decaping die, it neck sizes the case. If you want to full length resize the case you need the one shown earlier on this post.

Kev18
08-30-2020, 07:55 PM
Would you guys know where to get a resizer that would work for me?

Ozark mike
08-30-2020, 08:00 PM
Not without going to a lee or Buchanan press with a 3 die set

Landy88
08-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Would you guys know where to get a resizer that would work for me?

You will either have to watch the auction and antique reloading tool sites until a 40-82 Ideal tap in/out sizer comes along or split the job between your Ideal for casting, sizing, priming, seating and your press and die for FL resizing. You should/may be able to get multiple Ideal made loads per FL resizing.