PDA

View Full Version : BeretAt 950, 950B & 950BS

PB234
08-22-2020, 11:17 AM
Anyone feel safe cocked and locked?

Wag
08-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Not really but that's just my personal opinion. If you're carrying concealed, it eliminates the need to cock the pistol before shooting but you still have to take the safety off. Just a tradeoff is all.

--Wag--

Texas by God
08-22-2020, 10:07 PM
The early 950 .25 auto didn’t have a safety other than half cock. In a holster it would probably be safe enough to carry the later 950 BS cocked and locked. I wish I had one of those fun little guns.

PB234
08-23-2020, 01:39 AM
Yes, my question was from my disbelief anyone would carry the presafety versions cocked even within a holster covering the trigger. Were they carried uncocked even in a holster by those who cared about their own safety from accidental discharge? Does look like a fun gun to try and then probably never bother with again. Just a look back in time best I can tell, a curosity.

Texas by God
08-23-2020, 02:27 PM
I guess that the pre safety model was meant to be carried at half cock, then cocked as aimed. My friend has a 1970s 950 .22 Short (with safety) and it is an amazing little shooter. You could knock over 5 bowling pins at ten yards quickly by hitting them in the head- hilarious. I want a .25ACP version because for some reason I have a couple of hundred rounds of ammo for it......

PB234
08-23-2020, 03:49 PM
I too want one but know it would mostly sit in the safe. Centerfire makes a lot more sense and reloading might help you perfect cussing. Probably the Beretta 21A better for most, but the 950 seems universally liked. I think I would only get the one with the safety if anything at all, but as of now just tire kicking.

beemer
08-26-2020, 12:27 AM
I have a 950 BS in 25 auto, I carried it for 25 years with the chamber loaded and the hammer down. It has an inertia firing pin, it will not reach the primer with the hammer down. If it was dropped on half cock and the notch broke it might go off. I believe it would have to be dropped hard on the muzzle to set it off, at least it would be pointed down. With a little practice the little pistol is not hard to cock and it's easier than working the safety. As to your question I would not carry it cocked in any manner. They are well made and reliable but they are mechanical and stuff happens.

When I bought mine there wasn't near as many options as we have now. It can be carried when nothing else works. I bought my first one in '87 and have a NIB (fired two clips for function) and two extra mags I bought a couple years before it was discontinued. Neither one of them is for sale for the same reason I got them in the first place.

As far as reloading a 25 I am not interested but after fooling with some small 22's and unreliable ammo I prefer the centerfire. A lot more expensive but for this purpose it needs to work. As for the 21's, they are nice but a lot thicker through the grip. As much as I like the 950 I don't really care to shoot it much.

I would like to add one more thing. In all those years and rounds the pistol failed two times. The third round I fired failed to go into battery, I pushed the slide and it chambered, it never happened again. The second was odd and not the pistols fault. The 25 auto is semi-rimmed. When the pistol was dropped the top round in the clip jumped back over the second round causing a rim lock.

Dave

PB234
08-26-2020, 02:15 AM
Dave,

I appreciate and agree on everything you write. Thank you for taking the time confirming my thoughts.

PB

Petrol & Powder
08-26-2020, 08:49 AM
I'm going to add the well stated information posted by beemer.
While .22 LR or 25 Auto wouldn't be my choice for a self-defense pistol, I understand that necessity sometimes trumps preference.

A half cock notch is designed to catch a hammer if it slips while being cocked and when combined with an inertia firing pin, the half cock notch is really not a carry safety. An inertia firing pin is shorter than the tunnel it rides in and requires a significant transfer of energy from the hammer in order to move far enough forward to reach the primer. That alone is a good safety when the hammer is fully down.

When dealing with a small single action pistol such as the 950, most users under stress will find it easier to cock the hammer than to disengage that tiny safety. Fine motor skills are one of the first things to go under stress.

And not all safeties are created equal. There are significant differences concerning how safeties operate. Some only lock the trigger, some disconnect the trigger, some block the hammer, some lock the sear, some perform several functions. Some stay solidly engaged on thier own and some are easily inadvertently disengaged.
As an example, the simple cross bolt safety on a Remington 870 shotgun only blocks the trigger from moving. The only thing preventing the hammer from dropping is a tiny sear surface and and tiny hammer hook, and those parts are not locked. As such, I refuse to rely on that safety and consider the only adequate safety on an 870 to be an empty chamber.
However the manual safety on a Beretta 92F disconnects the trigger bar, blocks the hammer from reaching the firing pin and drops the hammer. That is a very effective safety.

For the record, I prefer passive safeties such as inertia firing pins, hammer blocks, firing pins locks and other passive safeties - particularly on self-defense firearms.
So for me, a lot depends on the design of the safety.

beemer
08-26-2020, 11:24 AM
I believe the safety on the 950 was mandated before It could be imported. It is not a safety that I would trust. The design of the pistol doesn't need one at all.

Thanks for the expansion on my post, my thoughts exactly. Most people buy a firearm with little understanding of how they function. I have tried to explain the safety function to guys looking for a handgun but usually get a funny look so I mostly gave up. I like to know how the safety works so the firearm can be handled properly.

Another thing that concerned me was inexperienced people using a semi auto under stress, suddenly there they stand with a cocked firearm and stressed out, and I'm not laughing as it could be anyone of us. A good case can be made for a revolver or DAO. My wife has a S&W Airweight for that very reason.

I didn't want to hi-jack the thread but it is a safety issue that needs to be looked at.

It's a nice day here and I'm waiting for my barrel to cool off so have a great day.

Dave