PDA

View Full Version : monster press

brassrat
08-21-2020, 11:27 PM
So this was kicking around the gunstore266613

rancher1913
08-22-2020, 08:29 AM
rcbs big max, very good press for swagging and really large, long calibers.

dragon813gt
08-22-2020, 12:44 PM
So how much did it cost? I certainly would have bought it if it wasn’t overpriced which tends to happen.

Pressman
08-22-2020, 02:45 PM
Does it have the adapter to use regular shellholders? These get lost too often.

brass410
08-22-2020, 05:06 PM
outstanding HD press. Bought mine new in 83 from Fridays gun shop in Ft Myers . He set me up with everything (I new nothing about reloading noer did anyone I knew) You'll really appreciate that long stroke and throat when doing large cases. It makes a RC look like a baby press when they;re together on bench.

Landy88
08-22-2020, 07:16 PM
You made a great find!

brassrat
08-22-2020, 07:39 PM
I walked by without looking at anything but my phone

brass410
08-23-2020, 12:04 PM
go back quickly, some member here will thank you for picking it up.

rancher1913
08-23-2020, 01:31 PM
or post the store info so we can call [smilie=s:

1hole
08-24-2020, 11:10 AM
It's an interesting press for sure but, IMHO, it was a "bad" design. It's bigger and stronger and was much more expensive than can be justified for normal reloading but it's not strong enough for much serious bullet swaging.

It was killed by the Rock Chuckers and flopped in the retail market so it appears most of the buying public agreed with me.

rancher1913
08-24-2020, 01:47 PM
yes its bigger and stronger than is need for normal reloading, it was made for 50cal work. it makes a great swagging press for anything less than say 40cal and they are in demand and was a press ahead of its time.

Walks
08-24-2020, 02:13 PM
My Dad bought one, 1984-5. Hated the shovel handle, switched it out for a ball handle. Said it reminded him too much of a muck stick.
Except the handle ram was badly balanced. Never saw a shellholder adapter.
But I wished I could have got my hands on it.

brass410
08-24-2020, 03:14 PM
bad design? IMHO the RC was supposed to replace the Big Max, it's not even close, the only close part is the fact that they're both green, if you're gonna be dealing with cases 30/06 size or bigger you"ll soon like that great big opening (assuming your hands are like mine), I'm pretty sure you could do 50 cal on BM.

rancher1913
08-24-2020, 03:30 PM
the "D" handle does take a little getting used to and there are adapters that use regular shell holders and even a universal shellholder. I'm working with btsniper on making an adapter so I can use corbin stuff on mine

RichardB
08-24-2020, 05:57 PM
and here I was expecting a BIG press:(

brassrat
08-24-2020, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the info. I will go and look closer and probably grab it and try it out

1hole
08-25-2020, 12:20 PM
bad design? IMHO the RC was supposed to replace the Big Max, it's not even close, the only close part is the fact that they're both green,

It was a "bad design" in that it was vast over kill in both mass and cost for its market and that was enough to kill it stone dead. Same factors killed green's massive but pointless "A" series.

The market for reloading 50 BMG is much greater today but it's still tiny; ditto the market for making half and three quarter jacket .40 caliber and smaller handgun bullets.

All meaning that costly "great" products for a virtually non-existent market is, by that fact, a bad design.

... if you're gonna be dealing with cases 30/06 size or bigger you"ll soon like that great big opening (assuming your hands are like mine), I'm pretty sure you could do 50 cal on BM.

My glove size is "Large" but I've had no trouble loading thousands of .30-06 and larger rounds on my 'Chucker, ... nor my smaller and my now quite old Lyman Spar-T, ... nor even my tiny lil' Lee Reloader presses.

When we recognise that all of our common presses are fully as strong and durable as they need to be then we know anything bigger and more costly is just for bragging rights, not reloading. But, if you're into it, that's cool too.

And, ref. all things green, my friend's Lyman, Redding, Forster and Lee iron presses are fully as strong and long lasting as anything green, if not more so ... and Lee's Classic Cast is designed to handle .50 BMG and light swaging if that's really on your plate.

Bottom line; if I had to replace my 30 year old green RC 2 tomorrow it would instantly become a red Lee C.C. because of it's better user features. Meaning I buy the best utility value at the moment for my actual needs, I'm just too old and tired of foolishness to have blind loyalty to a beloved color of anything.

dragon813gt
08-25-2020, 01:35 PM
I'm just too old and tired of foolishness to have blind loyalty to a beloved color of anything.

If you really want to see people freak out paint a Lee press any other color. Then start a post asking what model “insert brand based on color here” press it is [emoji23]

1hole
08-25-2020, 06:14 PM
ROFL :drinks:

brassrat
08-26-2020, 04:53 PM
This was not $50 like I thought it would be. Maybe 250

rancher1913
08-26-2020, 05:20 PM
even at 250 its a steal, if you dont want it pm me the store info, I could use a fourth one.

brass410
08-27-2020, 12:27 AM
my only loyalty to green is the green dollar dont get me wrong about this press, I am just one of those people who tend to b a little rough with stuff ( I could break an anvil) at least thats what my dear old father would say when something was destryed at my hand, so I just have always opined that robust counts I'm sure all the other presses you mention are very good I just have never had the reason or chance to try them I guess it the old story toemato or tomaato still the same. I would bet that painting known press a different colour would certainly lift more than just a few eyebrows tho it might be worth it just for the entertainment value!! LOL

Pressman
08-27-2020, 09:31 AM
A few years ago I mentioned that I was not fond of those blue press's from Arizona. I thought I was going to get tarred and feathered then run out of town on a rail for just expressing my thoughts.

Red presses from Wisconsin and blue presses from Arizona are looked upon with higher regard than any other brand. Don't disparage them.

rancher1913
08-27-2020, 10:18 AM
I'm not racist, dont really care about the outer color. my bench has red, blue, black, orange and green. the ones that do the job the best get used the most.

brass410
08-27-2020, 10:27 AM
I'm not racist, dont really care about the outer color. my bench has red, blue, black, orange and green. the ones that do the job the best get used the most.

your bench colours sounds like the fingers of both my hands by friday at five just about every colour the eye can see.

Harter66
08-27-2020, 02:15 PM
I bought one a while back it was THE ticket for turning a few lost 300 WM into 264 .
The 3 fingered universal didn't have enough grip for 6.8 and 32 Rem and wasn't big enough to go take 45-70 .
I was after a fashion able to get a universal shell holder adapter from Illinois coyote hunter here . Yes it's probably completely overkill for 99% of my loading but it's a lot easier on my wrecked wrist for any amount of FL sizing 308 and up .

I have an RC , RCII, Big Max , and Partner on the bench . I have Pacific Deluxe , a couple of Lymans and a Hornady red Pacific cast Hornady 008 . From time to time they all have a place and I run them some I expect I'll get the kids set up with at least part of them .

Green Frog
08-27-2020, 04:16 PM
If you're only going to have one press on your bench (heaven forbid!) make sure it's heavy enough to take care of the biggest job you have planned for it then add a little margin for safety!

Froggie

salpal48
10-25-2020, 10:36 AM
I had one years back. Good strong Press. I found the weakest point of the press is the standard 2 hole RCBS mount. But otherwise it is a Good strong press

Pressman
10-25-2020, 02:48 PM
When I built my new bench it had to fit a very specific location, thus it's small. I have a 1st generation Rockchucker on there now as I think they are the best of the best. And, no I am not opinionated:-P.

But, everytime I walk by the Big Max I think about switching it out with the RC, just to get a better feel for it. It's cold and snowing for two weeks here, long winter ahead and that swap may just happen.
Ken

Pressman
10-25-2020, 03:48 PM
I did it, it's big and the quarter turned upper frame is not as convenient as the RC. I am going to size some 30 Gov. 1906 case's and then decide if I like it in this application.270161

Pressman
10-25-2020, 04:46 PM
Yep, I like it. The longer handle and improved linkage really increases the amount of force applied. The 30 Gov cases sized like 44 magnum. The longer handle throw would feel better if I mounted the press on a 3 or 4 inch riser.
I have the Micky Mouse primer catcher that doesn't work. So I need to configure a small container to catch primers falling out the bottom of the ram.
The next test may happen late next week, after the snow stops and it warms up. Full length resizing 7 5 Swiss brass fired in the K31 put a strain on the RC. I am anxious to try it on the Max.

Green Frog
10-26-2020, 08:41 AM
“... after the snow stops?” I guess it will make you feel bad, but we’re scheduled to hit the mid seventies today in CenVA. I hope it will stay cool enough to do some casting! :mrgreen:

Froggie

Green Frog
10-26-2020, 08:48 AM
BTW, I just took the time to take a really good look at the picture of your bench, and I like it. In fact, I like it a lot. I see a few favorite toys including the Herter’s bench micrometer and the Lachmiller bench priming tool. Do you have all three anvils for the Herter’s tool? (Mine only came with one :( )

That looks like a little UniMat on the shelf underneath. I bet that gets a workout when you’re having to make or adapt parts and accessories!

Regards,
the Phrog

brass410
10-26-2020, 09:09 AM
that a very clean (organized/laid out ) bench you've got wish mine was. Angleing the press was a good idea never would have thought of it, yea these big presses are a little cumbersome but I really like them and I have room for it so to each their own I'm sure you'll like it.

Pressman
10-27-2020, 07:45 AM
The back story is, my reloading bench is behind me, but it has become a work bench and I can no longer find the top. The easiest solution seemed to build a new bench. It's small so I have to keep it clean and neat.

Mr. Frog Person, you are correct, mostly, about the Unimat. The one you see has the milling attachment, in the big wood box is another set up as a lathe. I got it years ago in a deal with the esteemed Doug Elliot. And behind me is a nice, 1946 vintage South Bend lathe. It needs a new motor to get back in operation.

Actually I have three of the Herter's case tools, I wanted all three anvils and I had to buy three tools to get the three anvils. The same applies to my first Belding & Mull tool, I bought three to get one set of dies. Collecting old tools is fun. However, I have no idea why I have 16 Redheads.

Ken

William Yanda
10-27-2020, 09:51 AM
"I have no idea why I have 16 Redheads."

Ask Wilco.

Green Frog
10-27-2020, 09:54 AM
However, I have no idea why I have 16 Redheads. Ken

Could it be because you prefer them to Blondes?? :kidding::kidding:

I started putting together a little mini bench with a B&D Workmate. I got as far as clamping an inherited MEC 600 Jr onto it (mounted on a plywood sheet) But have yet to find a place in the mess where I can set it up even semi-routinely. I still want to make one of the interchangeable tops I’ve shown here several times and mount either a TruLine Jr or a small C-press (maybe my Comet??) along with a powder measure (Ideal #5m?) and maybe even one of my Ideal #1 Lubri-Sizers. So many projects, so little ambition! ;)

Froggie

gnappi
10-31-2020, 09:53 AM
I load my precision .308's on the Big Max, it's the only single stage press I own. I leave everything else to the Dillon presses.

The standard shell holder adapter is RARE, if it has one that alone is worth upwards of $100. The claw three jaw universal shell holder had the springs going slack years and will no longer hold a case enough to get it out of the sizing die.

Ken
11-01-2020, 08:59 PM
I have one I bought for less than $50 at a gunshow. No Handle at all so I made a straight normal type. It is Heavy Duty but I like it a lot. Everything I do with it seems easy!!!. It uses conventional shellholders and dies in the insert that came with it. You can buy it from my estate sale.

GunsandCoffee
12-19-2020, 01:09 PM
Seems like a great tool for sizing 30.06 Garand HXP brass.

John Wayne
12-19-2020, 08:32 PM
I have a monster green press...

DocSavage
12-19-2020, 09:21 PM
Anyone remember The Old West Scrounger he had an O press capable of loading 20 mm cases,had enough leverage to crush full soda/beer cans.

brass410
12-19-2020, 10:14 PM
I'd be willing to bet when ya pinches your finger it make the blood squirt !!!!! looks heavy enough to to do 17 remington in one easy stroke.

Ken
12-22-2020, 08:34 PM
I bought one at a gunshow a few years ago, which I still use, that was missing the handle. It was less than $50.

John Wayne
12-23-2020, 10:50 PM
Anyone remember The Old West Scrounger he had an O press capable of loading 20 mm cases,had enough leverage to crush full soda/beer cans.

There's one on ebay now (not mine).

273852 273853