PDA

View Full Version : headspace guages

Beekeeper
12-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I am trying to find some info on head spacing.
For many years it was always , a full legnth resized case and a single wrap of masking tape.
Now I am told that is not kosher any more.
Tried to find info on it ,found none.
Looked for head spacing guages, have to be an engineer to understand the lingo they spout on some websites.

I am restoring a GEW88 1888 commission rifle and want to ensure proper head space before shooting it.
Can afford to buy guage but will use it only once( not very cost effective)..

Any info would be appreciated.

survivalists Dad

Cactus Farmer
12-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Bad headspace leads to ruptured cases and a face full of gas. Buy the guages and sell them to another member when your through with the project.

How much would the doctor bills be? What are your eyes worth?

You need a go and a no-go guage. They are self explainatory......one should one should NOT. Just don't force them home.

waksupi
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Call Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals, 1-888-777-3252. They will rent them to you at a reasonable price.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Whether you want to use a factory loaded cartridge and about.002" of tape on the base, to check headspace, is up to you. But, be aware, that except for drastically out of spec guns, where there is a mechanical problem affecting safety, excessive headspace, is generally only a problem with factory ammo, since reloads can be resized to fit the individual rifle. This is what is done anytime you fire form a wildcat. If you are planning to reload, and don't trust the gun, you can always fire a case forming load of about 12gr. Bullseye, behind a sheet of TP.
Morgan

richbug
12-03-2008, 09:42 PM
For an old milsurp like that the gage you want will be called a "FIELD", or "Field Reject". These are about .008" longer than a "GO", and indicates excessive headspace on a used rifle.

A NO-GO is half way in between and used as a maximum measurement when building a new rifle.

So long as it closes on the ammo you intend to use, and doesn't close on a "FIELD", you are good to go.

mike in co
12-04-2008, 02:50 AM
for those on a budget, a go gage and a pc of scotch tape to make it into a no-go gage.....

for ocassional use rent the reamer, and rent the gages at the same tiime.

strip the bolt for accurate feel.

dont use sized cases...brass springs back different.....but it that die goes with the gun...hmmmm
sorta maakes the chamber custom...

nicholst55
12-05-2008, 04:39 AM
A while back on another forum a member measured cartridge headspace using an RCBS Precision Mic and an assortment of different headstamps of milsurp 7.62X51mm NATO ammo. The variations were actually rather alarming, for something that is supposedly made to standardized dimensions and is supposedly interchangeable between member nations' weapons. We're talking about variations of as much as .005", in some cases (if memory serves).

Trust me, when compared to the differences between different countries' ammo, the minor variations in different manufacturer's gages means absolutely nothing!

While one would hope that sporting ammunition is made to tighter tolerances than military ammo, I'm not willing to stake my life (or safety) on that, personally.

The lesson to be learned from this is that using a loaded cartridge as a poor-boy headspace 'gage' is an exceptionally poor idea. Your results are only meaningful for that particular lot of ammo, from that particular manufacturer; trust me on this!

John Taylor
12-05-2008, 11:11 AM
First off, there are no SAAMI specs for your cartridge, I doubt that there are any CIP ( European standard ) specs, so head space gauges are what ever the company that make them thinks they should be. If this is a rimmed cartridge then head space will be checked with the rim thickness. Military chambers are oversized to allow for dust, dirt and variations in size of cartridge. Some military ammo is tight in some sporting chambers. If you ever get 308 ammo that has been fired in a machine gun you may never get it sized down enough to fit a sporting chamber. Most BP cartridge gun have lots of head space do to the ammo being used at the time not being consistent in rim thickness. I have seen as much as .005" difference in rim thickness on different brands of modern ammo so one might have no head space and one may start with .005". I just found out a few days ago that Forester gauges can be .007" undersized. I used one to chamber a 308 and it would not except factory ammo.
Lots of gunsmiths, me included, use masking tape to check head space when a gauge is not available. I had a 92 Winchester come in that took7 layers of tape, .027" head space on a 44-40. Most lever guns need a little head space or they jam and open hard after firing but .027" is a little to much.
On you gun, if it will close with one layer of masking tape ( about .004") on the ammo you are using then that would be great, 2 and it would still be usable, 3 or more and you might want to do something with it.

KCSO
12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Now for the shocker, in 1888 they built the guns to spec and they didn't go out unless they were right. When they were cheap on the surplus market I got in 10 88's and 10 K 31's. I checked headspace on all of them and they were all on. Ten I switched bolts at random and they were still all on. Guess what not one of those 88 bolts was over 2 thousands different than the other. Now we go to 303 and during the war they had wartime standad of 10 thousnad on headspace! Hey don't bother checking with a modern gauge your Long Branch or Faz will be off modern spec I guarentee. On an 88 I woould just fireform a case and measure it. If it is typiical you probably won't even need to resize it to shoot it except in the neck the chamberes are cut that tight.

flinter62
12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
You, could get your self a box of factory ammo,take firing pin out of bolt,put shell in and slowly lock down bolt.You should be able to feal it snug up. Try that before buying gauges

mike in co
12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
You, could get your self a box of factory ammo,take firing pin out of bolt,put shell in and slowly lock down bolt.You should be able to feal it snug up. Try that before buying gauges

not....

what is the carrtidge designation
of the 1888.
mike