PDA

View Full Version : Reaming a rifles bore smooth

John McCorkle
08-21-2020, 06:21 PM
Question gents,

I have a potential for a .54 in line that will basically be negligible in price...I don't need another in line and not sure if I would use one in 54 as it's likely fast twist for conical bullets/sabots

It's in rough shape and I imagine the bore lacks in condition as well. I'm interested in making this a smooth bore. Is it possible to team out the rifling by running a tight mandrel with emory cloth back and forth?

I am sure I could send it off and have it rebored but not sure if the cost would all be worth it for me in the end. Smoothbore would be a great addition for shot and roundball....but no idea if this is possible as a diy effort or something that would be best left to the expert

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

pietro
08-21-2020, 06:44 PM
I'm interested in making this a smooth bore.

Is it possible to team out the rifling by running a tight mandrel with emory cloth back and forth?

Yeah...……………….. I'd only take a year or so of daily sanding. :popcorn:

john.k
08-21-2020, 06:52 PM
A "rimer " was used .a cutter of hardened steel ,square section,and somewhat longer than the bore ......backed up by a hardwood "spill",and made to cut larger by inserted strips of thin paper......The process was invented at Springfield arsenal in the 1810s,and was thoroughly documented some years ago (in practical detail) by a researcher and reported in a series in the "Model Engineer" magazine .

dondiego
08-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Shoot it a lot first.

country gent
08-21-2020, 07:42 PM
Slug the barrel and but a decimal reamer have it lengthened with a rid and simply ream the bore out. use lots of oil and cut slow. Ideally a piloted end up front and a pilot in back to holed everything straight and true. But just a pilot on the back end a few inches behind the flutes will help a lot. Here pull the breech plug and use if as a pull reamer.

Wayne Smith
08-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Slug the barrel and but a decimal reamer have it lengthened with a rid and simply ream the bore out. use lots of oil and cut slow. Ideally a piloted end up front and a pilot in back to holed everything straight and true. But just a pilot on the back end a few inches behind the flutes will help a lot. Here pull the breech plug and use if as a pull reamer.

Ya lost me on that last line!

MostlyLeverGuns
08-22-2020, 09:33 AM
There are a few books on making barrels, reaming with simple tools, mostly old-time methods but still very useful, check rifle barrel making under books on Amazon, maybe google same.

rking22
08-22-2020, 09:48 AM
Direct answer, yes it possible to remove the rifling with sandpaper. Fact is it won’t be a smoother bore just a just a steel tube with a kinda straight is hole down the middle that is random diameters and not usable as a gun barrel. Would go bang and make smoke but be generally useless for hitting anything. One of those “ just because you can dosent mean it’s a good idea” kinda things.

Reamer is the way as described above. A smooth bore has to be very consistent diameter and a good surface finish to shoot well. A well made smooth bore is a joy.

A pull reamer is just that, pulled thru the bore rather than pushed.

John McCorkle
08-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Direct answer, yes it possible to remove the rifling with sandpaper. Fact is it won’t be a smoother bore just a just a steel tube with a kinda straight is hole down the middle that is random diameters and not usable as a gun barrel. Would go bang and make smoke but be generally useless for hitting anything.

Reamer is the way as described above. A smooth bore has to be very consistent diameter and a good surface finish to shoot well. A well made smooth bore is a joy.

A pull reamer is just that, pulled thru the bore rather than pushed.Awesome thanks, this is good feedback,

In the end I may not buy and just forego the project....not that I don't believe a smoothie would be awesome it'd just rather have money invested in a purpose build new sidelock rather than refurbished inline in rough shape

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

vagrantviking
08-22-2020, 02:24 PM
I appreciate this topic as I have a much neglected 54 Renegade barrel sitting in my parts bin I'd like to do something with.
Looking forward to hearing more.

arcticap
08-22-2020, 02:34 PM
Keep your eyes open for inexpensive inline 12 ga. shotgun models.

Traditions made 2 striker fired inline 12 gauge shotguns
that were named the Buckhunter that uses a #11 cap
and the Buckhunter Pro that uses a 209 primer. These
discontinued shotguns are drilled & tapped for mounting
a scope and the muzzle has internal threads for using
Mossberg Accu-choke choke tubes. --->>> https://www.gunsamerica.com/953927422/Traditions-In-line-Shotgun-12-gauge-BP.htm

Another similar inline shotgun is the Navy Arms Country
Boy 12 gauge that uses a #11 cap. It was made in China
and has a permanent Poly-Choke device attached.
That consists of metal fingers that slightly open and close
to control the shot pattern, and which makes it a little more
difficult to clean.
It may have even had a chrome lined bore.
It may have only cost about $99 when it was new.--->>> https://www.proxibid.com/Navy-Arms-Model-Country-Boy-12-GA-Shotgun-Black-Powder-Muzzle-Loading-Shotgun-New-in-Box-no-FFL/lotinformation/55122293

country gent
08-22-2020, 02:42 PM
On a pull reamer or drill the tool is pulled thru the bore instead of pushed.

several advantages to this are 1) the shank will help guide the tool straight thru the bore. 2) coolant is flowing thru smaller area to larger making for better flow and more effective flow. 3) the chips are running to a more open area rather than up around the shank and restricted area.

I find it easier to control cut and feed with a pull type cutter. Coolant seems to work better both easing cut and removing chips. There are some chamber reamers that are pull type for setting head space on service rifles so barrels arnt removed once timed and installed.

One reason more pull tools arnt used in machining is the standard Morse tapers dont work well pulling in a machine. They are meant to lock in pushing.

lead chucker
08-27-2020, 02:30 AM
I sent a Knight 54 cal in line to Robert Hoyte, not sure if i spelled his name right. He made a 58 smooth bore out of it for me. I think it was 50 bucks. Cost more for shipping than the bore job. It makes a great shot gun. Shot lots of bunnies with it last fall. 60 gr 2F under 3/4 oz number 6 shot. I think that was the load.

lead chucker
08-27-2020, 02:32 AM
His turn around was fast.

carbine
08-27-2020, 08:17 AM
His turn around was fast.

He is looking for work. 717-642-6696

rking22
08-27-2020, 03:55 PM
I have a 54 Renegade that has a rough bore, maybe can help him out with some work! That’s what I get for buying one sight unseen, got pretty wood anyway.