PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A Lyman Forend Cap, It's Pinned....

tincansailor
08-20-2020, 04:43 PM
Had a Great Plains Rifle stock carved for me and am removing the metalwork from the broken original stock
to the new one. The forend cap is pinned on the old stock. How do I remove it? Is it possible to save the pins?

And, just how do you mount it on the new stock? I have not a clue so appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jerry Williams

pietro
08-21-2020, 10:23 PM

It's most likely a through, one-piece pin that goes through either just the wood, or also passes through a loop attached to the underside of the barrel there (to help with retention) - so just drive the pin out with a drift pin the same size as the pin.

Wayne Smith
08-22-2020, 03:41 PM
What he said - and Left to Right

oconeedan
08-22-2020, 09:20 PM
On mine, they use a very small pin, guessing 1/16" or so. If you can't find the right pin punch, you could use a small brad with the tip filed square to get the pin started out. If you are careful you can reuse the pin. After removing the pin, the forend cap should slide off.

mazo kid
08-24-2020, 02:03 PM
Wire clothes hangers are your friend. I keep 8-10 in the shop. Short pieces (squared off) can be used for punches, pins, depriming pins, etc. if too large, they can be chucked in a drill or drill press and filed down.

tincansailor
08-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help. Those pins are dam small but i'll try the tips to punch them through.

Gtek
08-24-2020, 09:42 PM
I would find nice flat, smooth non rolled over punches (like new just under diameter of pin). Also helps when one has a short forward shank length to reduce bending to get moving, and finish with the long.

oconeedan
08-27-2020, 06:16 PM
I've also used those little cheap jeweler's screwdrivers. Find the right size, cut the tip off with a dremel tool to square it off. The sets can be found at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool for cheap.