PDA

View Full Version : Neck turning 30-06 with a crimp in the neck

Pebbles
08-18-2020, 09:10 AM
Hi,
I’m getting started in reloading 30-06 for my SAFN and have a large batch of German 30-06 DAG once fired brass in pretty good shape.

I wanted to include neck turning to my case preparation to increase the uniformity of the necks in general. I have a concentricity gauge from RCBS and notice I easily get a runout of 0.010” on most bottleneck calibers I reload with standard FL dies.

When I set up my Forster hand neck turner, I notice my 30-06 cases have a crimp ring in the inside of the neck, that inhibits rearward movement of the bullet in the neck for the cartridges remaining in the magazine. Like some revolver cartidges sometimes have.

When I insert the lubed mandrel of my neck turner into the case mouth, it comes to a stop against this crimp ring. The FL sizing proces did not iron the crimp out. Because of this, I can not neck turn until the shoulder of the case, but rather until 3/4th of the case. This way I expect to get a donut and to complicate things.

Anyone solved this issue in the past? I was thingking about a Lee collet die or maybe an inside neckreamer, but that would mean another purchase that maybe is not necessary.

Thanks for the advice.

Larry Gibson
08-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Try taking the expander button out of the sizing die. Sizwe the cases then lube inside of neck and use a 30 M-die to expand b the case neck but no bell the case mouth. Run the case neck over the M-die expander several times. That should uniform the inside of the case neck and allow turning to the shoulder.

country gent
08-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Larry has it. I have a die made up and expand cases to be neck turned on the turners mandrel in the die, this gives the nice snug fit I want on the mandrel when installed in the turner. .010 wall run out is a lot on a case neck. I Have seen .002-.003 thickness variation though. When turned correctly wall thickness variations should be with in .0001-.0002 around the neck.

My 243 course rifle has a tight necked chamber and cases are turned to be fitted to it. Factory wont chamber di to the small neck dia.

Pebbles
08-19-2020, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the hint.

As I don’t have an M-die available, I took a Lee collet die in 308 screwed high in my single stage press and entered each case 3 times. The crimp was not gone but much less apparent, which allowed me to turn the necks.