PDA

View Full Version : Look Out Groundhogs

Johnch
08-17-2020, 10:17 PM
I was given some cast Boolits to try on groundhogs

The machine shop owner where I sometimes have a chance to tinker on making molds and knives must have been having fun
As he made a single cavity brass mold for his Marlin 45/70
He wants me to see how the bullet shoots in my Marlin 45/70
But I laughed and said , first I will try it in the BFR in 45/70

He made a single grease grove .461 dia bullet
Sized to .460 and lubed it weighs 225 grains with a sort of hard alloy
It looks about like a 452 - 200 RF
But has a slight crimp grove , IMO it might need more of a crimp grove

I loaded 10 with Unique
As I don't think I need 2000 FPS to kill a groundhog with a handgun .... But MAYBE just maybe the extra FPS might help :p

But I did ask him if he could make me a copy of the mold
But with a HP stem
As I am thinking with a sort of soft alloy , and about 1200 .... maybe 1400 FPS
That I could have some real fun altering a few groundhogs life span with the BFR
Maybe the Marlin or H&R in 45/70 also

I am going to see how they shoot in the morning

LOL I wonder if the Savage Bolt gun in 458 Win Mag would shoot them in less than a 24" group at 100 yards
It has a slight free bore , mix that with a real short bullet might not group great
Lots of the time I get ask I am shooting when I ask to hunt groundhogs , so a few of the true Red Neck Farmers might not only say YES
They then might start HINTING they want to shoot 1 or 2 with that rifle

John

Michael J. Spangler
08-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a reasonably hard alloy and a devastator type cavity would look like a groundhog walked onto a landmine!

Ozark mike
08-17-2020, 11:05 PM
I know my pure lead round balls in my bfr is pretty devastating and it is a 7.5 version. 30 grns of h322 behind 3 of em is just a blast. Sounds like ya got a nice bullet there and doesnt eat ya lead supply like those 500 and 550 grain lead weights