PDA

View Full Version : Had a wonderful day at the range today

tazman
08-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Good day at the range. Very relaxing. Not too hot and no wind.
I had my CZ 455 American, CZ 452 trainer, and a Henry Lever 22lr with me. All were scoped.
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I was basically confirming the rifles' preferences from last year.
Both the CZ rifles still held point of aim/impact from last year with the best ammunition. Those two prefer Norma Match 22.
Both will shoot one small ragged hole at 25 yards with 5 shot groups. 50 yards opens slightly but are still in a group that is nickel sized.
I tried other ammunition, but nothing else does as well in both rifles. The trainer does nearly as well with CCI standard velocity but not quite. Mostly noticeable at 50 yards. They both shoot well with Federal Target(SV) but to a different point of impact.
The Henry didn't shoot nearly as well as either of the CZ rifles with any ammunition I had. Groups were good enough for squirrels out to about 40-50 yards but nothing to brag about. I have shot this one quite a bit. It works smooth and has a nice trigger but it just won't shoot tight groups.
Perhaps I am expecting too much from it.
My old Winchester 72A shoots better groups with almost any ammunition and has for 58 years. I can shoot just as good groups with my Remington 510/511/512 series rifles and they don't have scopes.
None the less, things went pretty much as expected and the two CZ rifles are still great shooters even after sitting in the safe for nearly a year.
It is always satisfying to shoot five shots and see one enlarged hole in the bullseye of the target.

Eddie17
08-17-2020, 06:27 PM
I like my 510 Remington on the range. Old school sites shooting center target every shot,��

Der Gebirgsjager
08-17-2020, 08:43 PM
Sounds like it was truly a great day and experience. It's nice when our valued guns perform for us. :D

Bazoo
08-17-2020, 09:02 PM
Sounds like lots of fun to me. Glad you had a good day. I had a henry and it never shot great, I don't remember how bad exactly, but it was on the order of 1.5"-2" at 25 yards.

tazman
08-17-2020, 09:45 PM
Sounds like lots of fun to me. Glad you had a good day. I had a henry and it never shot great, I don't remember how bad exactly, but it was on the order of 1.5"-2" at 25 yards.

This Henry may be doing a little better than that but not by much. I may be moving it down the road.

BigAlofPa.
08-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Good to hear you got out Tazman.

I shot my Winchester 60 i restored. The before pic wont upload. But the weather was nice here too. The ole gun shoots well. And you don't burn through a lot of ammo with a single shot.

starnbar
08-18-2020, 09:45 AM
Good for you

303Guy
08-18-2020, 01:48 PM
I have a 511 and a 512. My 512 has a scope on it and used to be pretty accurate. The last time I tried it not so much. I've only fired a few shots through the 511 but it didn't shoot well at all.

Anyway, I have a number of rifles waiting for a range session and a range of ammo to try in them. Not sure when that will be - this second covid outbreak has put a damper on things.

TNsailorman
08-18-2020, 02:10 PM
I finally got a new sight for my Winchester 67A and got it sighted in yesterday. james

Texas by God
08-18-2020, 02:56 PM
We had a chilly 93 degree day, so I shot up some .30Rem. fire forming loads, and had some 44-40 fun busting clay birds offhand. I've gone to keeping my 510 Reminton in the shop because I like to shoot it a lot. Oh, almost forgot that I checked POI of some newly loaded 40gr Zmax 22-250s- same as my 60 gr loads even though there's about 400 fps difference in velocity. Love that Tikka.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

luckyday
08-24-2020, 02:30 PM
New to the area here but I am convinced I'm missing out on the fun, I need to find a range soon.

gewehrfreund
08-26-2020, 07:42 AM
Good day at the range. Very relaxing. Not too hot and no wind.
I had my CZ 455 American, CZ 452 trainer, and a Henry Lever 22lr with me. All were scoped.
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. I was basically confirming the rifles' preferences from last year.
Both the CZ rifles still held point of aim/impact from last year with the best ammunition. Those two prefer Norma Match 22.
Both will shoot one small ragged hole at 25 yards with 5 shot groups. 50 yards opens slightly but are still in a group that is nickel sized.
I tried other ammunition, but nothing else does as well in both rifles. The trainer does nearly as well with CCI standard velocity but not quite. Mostly noticeable at 50 yards. They both shoot well with Federal Target(SV) but to a different point of impact.
The Henry didn't shoot nearly as well as either of the CZ rifles with any ammunition I had. Groups were good enough for squirrels out to about 40-50 yards but nothing to brag about. I have shot this one quite a bit. It works smooth and has a nice trigger but it just won't shoot tight groups.
Perhaps I am expecting too much from it.
My old Winchester 72A shoots better groups with almost any ammunition and has for 58 years. I can shoot just as good groups with my Remington 510/511/512 series rifles and they don't have scopes.
None the less, things went pretty much as expected and the two CZ rifles are still great shooters even after sitting in the safe for nearly a year.
It is always satisfying to shoot five shots and see one enlarged hole in the bullseye of the target.

Nothing beats a good range session with a bunch of quality rimfires; especially vintage ones! I often have my range to myself and that makes it even better. Solitude, relaxation and trigger time.

Pressman
08-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Nothing beats a good range session with a bunch of quality rimfires; especially vintage ones! I often have my range to myself and that makes it even better. Solitude, relaxation and trigger time.

I have to agree 100%. Old, inexpensive single shots have a way of following me home. I am finding that after a 15 year hiatus from shooting the nice, big centerfire rifles are not as satisfying as the lowly .22 rimfire.
Ken