PDA

View Full Version : 44 Magnum Mountain Gun vs. New Hampshire LEO Qualification

Hrfunk
08-17-2020, 06:19 AM
Here's a fun video to kick off the week!

Howard

https://youtu.be/75BSDvq7RVI

rintinglen
08-17-2020, 01:18 PM
This strikes me as a good course for back-up/ off-duty guns guns. I may give it a try with my Dick Special and S&W Shield. The time limits are just about right, the move to cover and multiple position drill are good, there is a good balance between close up and distance shooting. This is another course that I like a lot.
And that was some good shooting with a hard-kicking gun. That dripping noise is me drooling over the Mountain Gun 44 Mag.

onelight
08-17-2020, 03:20 PM
Another great job ! I do like your mountain gun

Hrfunk
08-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys! This one was fun to record. I hope it was as much fun to watch!

Howard

Drm50
08-17-2020, 04:21 PM
I don’t have a mountain gun but have 24 and 27 which are same thing. I believe I could do as well except the left hand stuff.

onelight
08-17-2020, 04:27 PM
When you select the best course of fire it would be interesting to see you run it with your favorite duty gun as well as a couple of popular back ups like a 38 snub and or a Ruger Lcp . To see how scores compare .

Hrfunk
08-18-2020, 07:08 AM
I'm trying to decide just what I want to do when I select the winning course. I've had several suggestions, and sooner or later I'll figure out what I want to do. Only 15 to go!

Howard

fivegunner
08-18-2020, 07:49 AM
Very well done Thank you

Larry Gibson
08-18-2020, 06:22 PM
Excellent, as usual. You did well with that N-frame. My hand is too small for effective DA shooting with the N-frame. I do quite well with my 4" Colt Anaconda with "Keith" loads. Might have to give that course a similar try. Again, very enjoyable video.

rintinglen
08-19-2020, 09:06 PM
I had to give this one a try with my usual carry gun, my old nickel Colt Detective Special. Standard velocity SWC 38s, save for the reload,(I forgot that my speedloader still had 125 JHP's in it so the four shots left side from cover on stage 5 were JHP). The time limits are challenging with a snubby, I had some trouble with the front sight glare at the longer distances. But this is a good course for your off-duty/CCW pistol. I ain't shooting it with full snort 44 mags though,I leave that for the younger set.
For what it's worth, I had one clean miss--went low when I jerked the trigger left handed--and three peripheral hits, but overall I felt pretty good about the course and my results.

Hrfunk
08-20-2020, 09:39 AM
Good shooting! This course does evaluate quite a number of skills for just 35 rounds fired. I was contacted by another viewer who requested a copy of it to use for his security service.

Howard

rintinglen
08-20-2020, 09:02 PM
I can't say as that I would blame him.
It lacks some of the bells and whistles, but for a good short course that measures basic defensive skills it is darned good. Short range rapid? Check! Strong hand and weak hand? Check! Move to cover? Check! Kneeling from cover? Standing Barricade, right and left? Check! Reload? Check! Add a sitting stage to simulate firing from inside a vehicle and I can't think of too much else that needs to be tested to affirm firearms competence.

Especially for us old retired types, this is one to run through a couple of times a year, just to make sure we are still as good as we once were. Or at least still good enough.

Three44s
08-22-2020, 09:49 AM
Well done as always!

My favorite of revolvers and I see yours is a pre-lock as is mine!

I tip my hat to your use of full power loads fired in the video, double action and counting 35 rounds. It is said even Elmer would top off a session with just two cylinderfulls of the “heavies”.

I probably average one cylinder at full dosage. If I am not concerned about bears, I carry my 250Ks loaded with HS6 at 1066 FPS av. (24,000 psi). Plenty of snuff for two legged bears and not completely naked with the four legged variety either.

Three44s

LAH
08-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Good job on the video.

Hrfunk
08-23-2020, 08:52 AM
I actually like the Mountain Gun the best when it's loaded with the Skeeter .44 Special load. That will do 95% of the things I might want a handgun to do.

Howard

derek45
08-24-2020, 03:59 PM
nice gun
nice shootin
nice bullets
nice 2400

trebleplink
08-24-2020, 04:36 PM
I've always hated time limits. They ought to just time the string and factor it into the score, like IPSC.

Three44s
08-25-2020, 10:16 AM
I actually like the Mountain Gun the best when it's loaded with the Skeeter .44 Special load. That will do 95% of the things I might want a handgun to do.

Howard

I like the Skelton load as well and used it as one of my power levels in condition myself to the 44mag and the MG revolver.

The powder HS 6 gave me another split at a higher power level towards reaching 2400/110/296 load levels and in reading chrono and paper results a very tidy load unto it self.

Elmer Keith was loading his ramped up .44 specials to 1200 FPS in a 6.5” barrel and working in the Idaho and other wilderness’ prior to the introduction of the 44 Magnum. I found that HS6 at about 12 gr (11.8) runs 1176 FPS in a 7.5” and 1066 in my 4” MG.

I am not in the brush as much as Elmer but we do have bear and cat around our livestock most of the year, hence my desire to throttle up a bit more without going full on.

I tip my hat to you running a full course at full tilt. I can handle a third that many rounds at best unless something was trying to eat me!

Three44s

RJM52
08-27-2020, 05:10 PM
Nicely done!!...And with a fairly heavy load....

Shot that course of fire for 14 years as a Police Officer and Probation/Parole Officer in NH... I still shoot the retired officers course of fire which is a 26 or 27 round course...

Just for laughs one qualification I head shot the whole course of fire with a S&W 6906 which was my duty gun when I was a PPO. Had 34 in the head, one in the upper body near the neck and one just off the neck to the right... The chief RO wasn't amused.......

Bob

rintinglen
09-09-2020, 04:55 PM
Today I gave this a run with my 44 Spl. GP-100 and some Skeeter loads I had loaded back in CA a few years back. I arbitrarily decided to limit the 7 and 10 yd. stages to five shots and deducted 1 second from the time. I ended up with a 30/34 which was pretty good for me. Old fat men don't run that well, even 5 yards. And I better hope I don't have to shoot with my off-hand.:roll:

Hrfunk
09-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Today I gave this a run with my 44 Spl. GP-100 and some Skeeter loads I had loaded back in CA a few years back. I arbitrarily decided to limit the 7 and 10 yd. stages to five shots and deducted 1 second from the time. I ended up with a 30/34 which was pretty good for me. Old fat men don't run that well, even 5 yards. And I better hope I don't have to shoot with my off-hand.:roll:

Ha! It sounds like you still did pretty well. If nothing else, I'll bet you had good time.

Howard

Lloyd Smale
09-10-2020, 08:12 AM
i once showed up at a ppc match with my ruger 454 alaskan that was cut for moon clips and full power 454s loaded. My average at the time was around 295/300 and i shot a 289 with it and did it the proper way DA which some of the 38 special guys didnt even do. Not enough to win a trophy but still good enough to make people shake there heads. After the first round i shot they made me shoot the rest alone though because the muzzle blast about destroyed anyones score that stood on the line with me. I dont shoot ppc any more but stop by the matches once in a while and that day is allways brought up and laughed about. Comical thing was when it was trophy presentation time. The buddy of mine that owned the range dug up a hammer and called me up to the front and presented what he called the hammer of thor award to me. Got more applause then the guy that won the match.

curioushooter
09-11-2020, 11:51 AM
I like this guy. He has a lot of good reviews on youtube as well.

One thing I would suggest...a Sam Brown shoulder strap for his belt. Would looks sharp and move a lot of that weight to his shoulder instead of his hips.

curioushooter
09-11-2020, 11:53 AM
I like this guy. Mr. Funk has a lot of good reviews on youtube as well.

One thing I would suggest...a Sam Brown shoulder strap for his belt. Would looks sharp and move a lot of that weight to his shoulder instead of his hips.

And the skeeter load was practically born for that type of revolver.