PDA

View Full Version : New Scam?

wv109323
08-16-2020, 12:00 AM
I got a call the other that went like this. A recorded voice asked" Is this the phone number of (my wifes name). If so press 5. I did press 5.
After that the caller cut the call off.
What can be done with a phone number and a 5 beep unless they are confirming the line was active?

Winger Ed.
08-16-2020, 12:06 AM
I got a call the other that went like this. A recorded voice asked" Is this the phone number of (my wifes name). If so press 5. I did press 5.
What can be done with a phone number and a 5 beep unless they are confirming the line was active?

Its some low paid drone finding live/active phone numbers so they can have a salesman call you back,
and put you on a list of live numbers they can sell to other scammers.

Omega
08-16-2020, 12:07 AM
What can be done with a phone number and a 5 beep unless they are confirming the line was active?It confirms a real number and a name associated with it. Look out for phishing attempts that use the name and/or number to make you feel like it is legit because they have some details correct.

PSA: Anytime you get a call or text from a company which you do business with, tell them you will call back and then use a number that checks back to the business, not one they provide.

MaryB
08-16-2020, 03:34 PM
NEVER confirm any personal info to the scammers!

salpal48
08-16-2020, 03:38 PM
If it's not on my Call list i never answer.

00buck
08-16-2020, 03:41 PM
I don’t do business over the phone

jessdigs
08-17-2020, 08:31 AM
I have a Google call screen service that answers the phone and tells them I'm screening calls, go ahead and say your name and why your calling, and that I'll receive a transcript of the call. 95% of the calls just hang up.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk