PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Top Punch for Lee mold

slk
08-15-2020, 07:47 PM
I will be using a Lee MOLD DC 452-255-RF. Does anyone have any idea what lyman top punch to use for that bullet? I have the lyman sizing/lube machine so that is why the two different brands.

Steve

pworley1
08-15-2020, 07:56 PM
I usually just use the flat punch with them.

Ed_Shot
08-15-2020, 08:03 PM
I usually just use the flat punch with them.

+1 for a flat punch, and if you don't have a flat punch you can easily make one from a 5/16 hex bolt cut to appropriate length.

Pigboat
08-15-2020, 08:25 PM
I was just looking for something similar the other day.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

Hanzy4200
08-15-2020, 09:20 PM
Another vote for the flat punch. As a side note, if and when you ever order a Accurate mold, Tom will throw in 3 different sizes of flat punches for $5. Between them they will cover 90% of all designs.

slk
08-15-2020, 09:37 PM
I was just looking for something similar the other day.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

I found that web site also, but they suggest 3 different punches. 190, 191, and 649. How can they all work? I like making your own flat punch idea.

Steve

Bazoo
08-15-2020, 09:42 PM
Here's a vote against the flat top punch. I have one, I never can get the bullet aligned just so and end up with the front driving band sized only on one side. Chase down a punch that fits is my suggestion.

The reason three different punches might be listed is because they are all fairly close. Depending on manufacturing tolerances, you might need all three to find the one that fits just so.

kungfustyle
08-15-2020, 10:17 PM
take a bit of sand paper around the boolit and chuck up the top punch in a drill and sand it down to match the nose profile better. Use the chart above to get close.

slk
08-16-2020, 09:02 AM
I wonder if Lyman would know which one works the best. I will give them a call tomorrow. Does anyone have a pic of a flat punch they made? Do you use the head of the bolt for the pusher? Do you need a nut as well to keep it from moving up in the sizer during operation?

Steve

Bazoo
08-16-2020, 02:26 PM
For my flat nose punch, I took a regular punch and spun it in a drill and ground it flat with the dremel then polished it.

Conditor22
08-16-2020, 03:02 PM
I just clean a top punch in that caliber lightly lube the nose of the boolit whose profile I want fill the end of the top punch with hot melt glue and press the lightly lubed boolit into it.

After the glue has hardened, carve/sand off the excess and bingo perfect fit / non marring top punch.

Easy to do , fit's ANY profile and lasts a long time. IF you want more perminant try using 2 part epoxy

Multra
08-16-2020, 03:31 PM
I just clean a top punch in that caliber lightly lube the nose of the boolit whose profile I want fill the end of the top punch with hot melt glue and press the lightly lubed boolit into it.

After the glue has hardened, carve/sand off the excess and bingo perfect fit / non marring top punch.

Easy to do , fit's ANY profile and lasts a long time. IF you want more perminant try using 2 part epoxy

Agree, this is the way to do it.

slk
08-16-2020, 03:33 PM

That is a cool idea.

Lyman does not give away top punches. At 14 bucks a pop they can get pricey if you are experimenting.

Steve

MT Gianni
08-16-2020, 03:57 PM
I often use a flat punch as I believe it will self align straight, if I start it in small spurts. I use a 1/4" bolt with the face ground of any markings and then placed in a drill press and the flats filed round.

gwpercle
08-16-2020, 05:37 PM
A flat punch is best with any boolit with a flat spot on it . Round Flat , Truncated Cone , Wadcutter , Semi-Wadcutter...Flat works best for them all .

Take any nose punch and fill the cavity with epoxy putty or epoxy (J.B. Weld makes both) let set up , file , sand flat and there you go ...flat punch .
Trust me a flat punch does the best job .
Gary

Rich/WIS
08-16-2020, 08:36 PM
I cast that bullet and use the Lyman 649 top punch.