PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Lead Remover - For Rifle Length Barrels

Dimner
08-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know if they make, or there is a DIY solution for the lewis lead remover that lets one use it for rifle length barrels? Like upto 24" for the really long lever guns?

The only info I can find is on the one used for revolvers. If it exists, does anyone do it?

I have used the choreboy method, and that kinda works. But my chore boy kind of comes apart (for lack of a better term) a bit when I use it. Just small bits every now and again, like the size of a piece of rice. Sure, I just push it out with a patch, but if they make a full size lewis lead remover, I would like to try that.

BigAlofPa.
08-15-2020, 07:55 PM
What i do. Is use a small rag. Cut to size. And soak it in Kroil. (You can use your preferred bore cleaner). And put it in the bore. Let it sit for awhile. Then i use 1'' brass pipe screens and put it on a jag. And push it through the bore. If the fit is not tight enough a small thin patch under the screen helps. This set up i got the idea from the Lewis lead removers. It works better than using copper wool. You can see the lead on the screen. And the screens you can get in bulk from smoke supplies shops. Or pull through. I put rubber tubing per size needed on the back side of the jag, And put the screen against it.

Outpost75
08-15-2020, 08:01 PM
If your rifle loads are leading, bullets are either too hard, inadequately lubed, too hot or undersized.

Correct rifle loads should not lead!!!!

Burnt Fingers
08-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Brass pipe screens and a jag. If you need a tighter fit use a patch on the jag then the brass pipe screen.

Dimner
08-15-2020, 09:04 PM
If your rifle loads are leading, bullets are either too hard, inadequately lubed, too hot or undersized.

Correct rifle loads should not lead!!!!

All my current favored loads, my rifles are not leading that I know of. But, I don't have a good enough bore scope to determine that 100%.

I am going to be working on an upcoming project where I think the chance of leading will be greater than previous project and I am thinking ahead a bit. Want to be sure there is no leading while working up loads. And be able to remove leading while I re-work the loads.

Dimner
08-15-2020, 09:06 PM
would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Grimm-SUPA-Brass-Screens-Filters/dp/B01CBSB7Z0

Ozark mike
08-15-2020, 09:14 PM
I'm with outpost on this one. I once had a lee mold throw undersized boolits. So i got a mold that cast .002 over whatyaknow the lead in the bbl was taken out with the oversized boolits.

BigAlofPa.
08-15-2020, 09:18 PM
Yes those would work. Reason i choose 1'' was for up to 45 cal.

Dimner
08-15-2020, 09:32 PM
okay cool, this is for 30 cal so I will go with the .75. Thanks :)

44Blam
08-15-2020, 09:40 PM
I had an episode where I was using H335 powder and laddered my load up on a 400 grain boolit... The last set was erratic and a couple of them were pushing 2200 fps. I remember not seeing where the last one hit and thinking "well that was odd". Until I got home and saw the lead in the barrel.

I had chore boy sessions until that bore was lead free. I do have a Lewis lead remover and was using it on the first session, but it does seem like chore boy wrapped around a brush of the appropriate caliber gets the lead out a bit quicker and easier.

BigAlofPa.
08-15-2020, 09:43 PM
You're welcome.

Larry Gibson
08-16-2020, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know if they make, or there is a DIY solution for the lewis lead remover that lets one use it for rifle length barrels? Like upto 24" for the really long lever guns?

The only info I can find is on the one used for revolvers. If it exists, does anyone do it?

I have used the choreboy method, and that kinda works. But my chore boy kind of comes apart (for lack of a better term) a bit when I use it. Just small bits every now and again, like the size of a piece of rice. Sure, I just push it out with a patch, but if they make a full size lewis lead remover, I would like to try that.

As Outpost75 mentiones best to use correctly cast, sized and lubed cast bullets so leading does not occur. However, that being said, I don't lead barrels (rifle or handguns) with my own loads. I learned a long time ago not to lead the barrel is far better than trying to clean the lead out. These days I do, often though, lead barrels when testing other's cast bullets and/or loads.

The Lewis Lead Remover is only made for pistol cartridges that I'm aware of(?). I've used it for many years and prefer it to other methods to remove stubborn leading and, these days, PCing fouling. I Have been very successful using the LLR tools on a rifle cleaning rod (thread matching 30 caliber commercial rod) in 35, 375, 41, 44 and 45 rifle barrels. A brass cone rod guide is used at the muzzle and the tool with bronze/brass screens is pulled through from the breach. In 30, 31 and 32/8mm rifles I use a .38 caliber screen [sometimes cut down a bit to fit] between the rod tip and the screwed in jag tip.

sghart3578
08-16-2020, 11:21 AM
I have used the Lewis Lead Remover tips on rifle length rods many times. They work great.

In fact, Brownells sells a .30 cal tip/adapter with brass screens, etc. There is one review for that product on their web site. That review was from me.

On the .30 cal tip that they sent me the bronze body was too large in diameter to fit in a .30 cal barrel. I turned it down some and it worked fine after that.

I agree with everyone else that not leading the barrel is the best option. But when things go south you can use the LLR in a rifle barrel with confidence.

Steve in N CA

tja6435
08-16-2020, 11:36 AM
What about a Birchwood Casey lead removing wipe cut to fit onto a brass jag? That’ll clean out the lead fouling with equipment you already have.

Burnt Fingers
08-16-2020, 12:05 PM
okay cool, this is for 30 cal so I will go with the .75. Thanks :)

You could use the .50.

Larry Gibson
08-16-2020, 01:37 PM
I have used the Lewis Lead Remover tips on rifle length rods many times. They work great.

In fact, Brownells sells a .30 cal tip/adapter with brass screens, etc. There is one review for that product on their web site. That review was from me.

On the .30 cal tip that they sent me the bronze body was too large in diameter to fit in a .30 cal barrel. I turned it down some and it worked fine after that.

I agree with everyone else that not leading the barrel is the best option. But when things go south you can use the LLR in a rifle barrel with confidence.

Steve in N CA

I like the LLR so much I just ordered the .30/32 caliber plus screens.......

Again, preferably don't use loads that lead, but if you happen to the Lewis lead Remover is the best in my humble opinion......

sutherpride59
08-16-2020, 02:26 PM
I was given one when I first got into casting and it worked great when I was first working up loads and understanding why I was getting leading. That being said the copper chore boy also worked great for me too. I just bought brass screens on eBay to replace the ones I used up. I don’t have leading issue anymore but like you said if you are working on a special project I think a Barrel jag with some patches and just the screen will work equally well.