PDA

View Full Version : Unique Heated my Pistol Up More than Trail Boss

Silver Jack Hammer
08-15-2020, 04:22 PM
Unique just got my Colt’s hotter than Trail Boss.

I just finished a session on the speed plates starting with 70 round of Trail Boss, then 60 rounds of Unique. After 60 rounds of Unique I noticed that my Colt’s was rather hot to the touch, noticeably so. So fired 100 rounds of Trail Boss wondering if my Colt’s would cool off a bit. It did. It was noticeably less hot to the touch.

Not scientific, I didn’t take its temperature.

I was firing at speed plates at various distances as fast as I could hit well.

Pistol: Colt’s 3rd gen blued .45 4 3/4” bbl.

Trail Boss load: 452374 WW .452” Alox / 5.5 gr. Trail Boss. Starline Schofield brass. CCI 300.

Unique load: 452374 WW .452” Alox / 6.5 gr. Unique. Starline Schofield brass. CCI 300.

I do not have any chronograph data for you, these loads are pretty light. Both loads felt the same to me, the recoil seemed the same.

Ozark mike
08-15-2020, 05:16 PM
Slower powders tend to part more heat into the steel

TheGrimReaper
08-15-2020, 05:22 PM
I love TB
Accurate and very cool shooting

Alferd Packer
08-17-2020, 07:22 PM
I would try an accuracy check on a paper target before I favored one over the other shooting for group size.

Plate plinker
08-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Would Unique not have more energy than TB? More energy more heat?

Ozark mike
08-17-2020, 07:44 PM
Would Unique not have more energy than TB? More energy more heat?

Its the temp of the flame and how long it stays in the bbl trail boss burns quicker so it imparts less heat into the cylinder and bbl. Couldn't tell ya how hot it burns though

Silver Jack Hammer
08-18-2020, 09:21 AM
I would try an accuracy check on a paper target before I favored one over the other shooting for group size.

I don’t load Trail Boss for accuracy, I load it for practice at close range. Trail Boss is great for loading high volumes of light loads on a progressive using large volume cases such as .45 Colt and .44 Special with light for caliber boolits. These light loads are shot at volume, yesterday I fired 400 rounds at 12” plates at 15 to 20 yards. The guns are prone to experiencing heat due to the high round count. Trail Boss is good medicine for preventing a double charge, which could be more likely when loading volumes on a progressive.

Alferd Packer
08-27-2020, 08:24 AM
I have had both unique and trail boss clump up loading on progressives.
I dip those with a scoop.
The ball powders work well in powder measures, but I weigh t

Groo
08-29-2020, 12:02 PM
Groo here
There is about the same energy per grain of powder for most powders.
The difference is how long it takes to release it [burn rate]
You have a grain more unique so more energy but it takes longer to burn so pressure spike is differet.
So , more powder , more energy , more heat.
A slow ball powder will really heat your gun , ,but you use almost two times as much, aka two times the heat.

osteodoc08
08-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Ever use Lil Gun? 296? Enforcer?

That’ll be a better reference for hot for sure.

Load your unique and carry on Sir. You’ll be just fine. When it gets warm, let it cool.

Ozark mike
08-30-2020, 07:56 PM
I believe nitro content plays a role also

Silver Jack Hammer
08-31-2020, 11:00 AM
Never used Lil’ Gun or Enforcer. Burned up a pound on 296 years ago, same with 231. I just tend to stick with Alliant products because I’m familiar with them, Trail Boss is kind of a creature all by itself which is a great application for the steel plates and steel rack up close and fast.

I’ve found Holy Black really heats up a gun too, which is interesting.

Drm50
08-31-2020, 11:31 AM
I must admit of all the fooling around I have done, never paid any attention to heat but then again have never fired rapid strings. 95% of my handgun shooting is done with Unique, Bullseye and 2400. Most loads are cast WC Target not heating up shooting bullseye.

Walks
08-31-2020, 12:43 PM
I never grew fond enough of Trailboss to continue using it after the 1st 2-3 lbs I tried. Pressure spikes
Still loading Bullseye, Unique, Titegroup, Bullseye, 2400, W231, W296.
Used to shoot at the old LAPD Harbor Range. Semi open concrete construction. COLD in the winter months.
Happiness IS a Warm Gun.

And yes in practice for Cowboy Shooting you can heat up a SAA. But then I'd unload 5 empty cases, put them back in their box and reload from that same box. I found that short period between shooting, that it takes to unload/reload helps to keep me relaxed enough to shoot fast and smooth.