PDA

View Full Version : Are Linear Comps really quieter?

lar45
08-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Well, I got a little shooting in today with a couple variations on comps on the 10.5" AR Pistol in 7.62x39.
I did all the shooting with TulAmmo 124gn JSP.
I used the Sound Meter 2020 AP on my T-Mobile Revvl 2 Plus phone. I put the phone on the bench about a foot away from my right ear.
Sitting Quietly at the bench the meter read 27dB, closing the bolt read 39dB
I started with the Tromix Linear Comp and got 47.5dB
Next I pulled the inner core out of the comp to simulate a blast can and got a reading of 47.7dB even though it was noticeably sharper and louder.
I pulled the Tromix comp off and shot it with no muzzle device for a reading of 50.4dB
I had a new AR Stoner Linear Comp from Midway and put it on next and got 49.9dB

Conclusions, A cel phone does not make a reliable sound meter to measure gun fire. The App does have the ability to calibrate the reading if you have a real dB meter to compare it to.

Just going off of the Mk-1 Ear-O-Meter...
The Tomix Linear comp was definitely quieter. Removing the core was a little louder, but still quieter than the AR Stoner Linear comp, and finally the loudest and sharpest was with no muzzle device installed.
I do have a standard Muzzle brake, but didn't put it on because I would have had to remove the forend to install it.

1Hawkeye
08-15-2020, 05:53 PM
I don't know about quieter but they do a better job keeping the muzzle down in recoil. More of a straight back push than an upward hop.

kayala
08-15-2020, 06:02 PM
AR Pistol shot under 100db ?? I find it hard to believe that app accuracy.

lar45
08-15-2020, 06:06 PM
AR Pistol shot under 100db ?? I find it hard to believe that app accuracy.

Absolutely, I agree.

Burnt Fingers
08-15-2020, 08:09 PM
If I have the linear comp or Pig comp on my carbine the timer at the match has a really hard time picking up the shots. That's with both a 9mm carbine and a 22 LR. Without the comp there's no problem.

dragon813gt
08-15-2020, 08:16 PM
A typical conversation is 60-70db. There is no way it was less than this level. I have one of these apps on my phone. It’s not accurate at all. What it’s good for is telling a customer they need to turn something off in the room if they want me to work in it. When you have plugs and muffs on and it still hurts it’s way to loud.

Side note, I commented in your other thread about the Tromix Comp. Mine arrived this week and I can’t wait to try it out on a 357AR upper. It certainly adds a good amount of weight. But it’s better than the thread protector that I had. 35cal anything in 5/8x24 is hard to come by. Tromix offers lots of options when it comes to caliber and thread pitch.

facetious
08-16-2020, 02:02 AM
I Have a sound meter app on the phone and sitting here with a fan blowing it reads 50 db's. It has a list of things and their db's. and 50 db's says "quiet office, quiet street" 120 is listed as a pain threshold.

I have never thought to try it when shooting, now I will have to try it just to see.

Ozark mike
08-16-2020, 02:10 AM
Wonder what my bfr would regester at. It'd probably kill the microphone. Pound for pound its the loudest gun i have ever came across louder than my 5.5 44 mag x3

lar45
08-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Wonder what my bfr would regester at. It'd probably kill the microphone. Pound for pound its the loudest gun i have ever came across louder than my 5.5 44 mag x3

You didn't mention what caliber of BFR?

The loudest gun I ever shot without hearing protection was a TC Contender in 309 JDJ, 12" hunter barrel with the comp. I was out deer hunting, watching a trail, when this skunk waddled out. I lined up the cross hairs and touched off, there was pieces of skunk all over the place and my ears hurt for 2 weeks.

cwlongshot
08-17-2020, 01:39 PM
I dont have a sound meter.

But as Im sensitive to concussive blast. i can tell you, Unequivocally it makes some guns shootable.

Its NOT A SILENCER! It dosn'et Reduce sound. It REDIRECTS it. Its benifots are not JUST herd they are also FELT!

CW