PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Sight Question

JAMESGR
08-15-2020, 09:07 AM
Anyone have/had a Wonder Sight on a five screw S&W 38 SPL???? If so what did you like/dislike. I'm thinking about getting one for my five screw. Thanks.

El Bibliotecario
08-15-2020, 01:19 PM
Years ago I had a Wondersight mounted on a S&W Model 10. It worked, but it was a case of getting what one pays for--an inexpensive item made of stampings. Unlike factory adjustable sights which adjust with precise 'clicks' sight changes were coarse and difficult to replicate. The gadget protruded above the top strap and while I never had any trouble with it, I worried about bumping it on something and bending it. The only reason I acquired this sight was to adjust windage, and as my shooting improved I learned to correct mistakes. Eventually I removed it. After sitting in my junk box for decades, I sold it and have never missed it.

I have since acquired other revolvers with adjustable sights. But if my only revolver had a fixed sight, rather than obtain another Wondersight, I would instead learn the quirks of that weapon and be satisfied with the fixed sights.

Froogal
08-15-2020, 04:10 PM
Years ago I had a Wondersight mounted on a S&W Model 10. It worked, but it was a case of getting what one pays for--an inexpensive item made of stampings. Unlike factory adjustable sights which adjust with precise 'clicks' sight changes were coarse and difficult to replicate. The gadget protruded above the top strap and while I never had any trouble with it, I worried about bumping it on something and bending it. The only reason I acquired this sight was to adjust windage, and as my shooting improved I learned to correct mistakes. Eventually I removed it. After sitting in my junk box for decades, I sold it and have never missed it.

I have since acquired other revolvers with adjustable sights. But if my only revolver had a fixed sight, rather than obtain another Wondersight, I would instead learn the quirks of that weapon and be satisfied with the fixed sights.

I will second that motion. I also will not file down a front sight. Just learn the quirks and and adjust accordingly.

JAMESGR
08-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Thanks, I thought the sight looked flimsy is why I posted the question. My M&P and model 10-7 both shoot high about 6-8" at 20 yards. So I finally bought some epoxy putty and rolled a short piece, put in on the front sights let it cure, then started shooting and sanding the putty. I've got POI almost to POA with both 38's still a little low but getting close.
Thanks again

Nueces
08-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I thought the sight looked flimsy is why I posted the question. My M&P and model 10-7 both shoot high about 6-8" at 20 yards. So I finally bought some epoxy putty and rolled a short piece, put in on the front sights let it cure, then started shooting and sanding the putty. I've got POI almost to POA with both 38's still a little low but getting close.
Thanks again

The wondersight would not help your situation, as it has to be a bit above the factory groove sight in order for the windage adjustment to work. It can only raise your rear sight, not lower it, so could be useful to correct a low shooting revolver, but never one that shoots high.

I considered one when they were still made, but they looked too flimsy, especially for use in a holster with a strap that stretched across that area.

JAMESGR
08-16-2020, 11:10 AM
Thank you for your responses. You've voiced the same concerns that I have, flimsy construction, limited downward elevation adjustment, and carry ability.
Thanks you
JAMES
JAMESGR