PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Pig invasion!

cwtebay
08-15-2020, 12:58 AM
My boys came in to tell me a porcupine was in the garage.
So they selected the weapon, I dispatched him with a Steven's 25 rimfire - because, reasons.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200815/3a913e9cc93c439d8cbee692066bb60d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Buzz Krumhunger
08-15-2020, 01:47 AM
Wonder what he was doing in your garage?

porcupines are good to get rid of. And that’s an elegant machine you used for the job. :bigsmyl2:

smithnframe
08-15-2020, 07:13 AM
They're good eatin!

ddixie884
08-15-2020, 07:16 AM
I'm jealous...........

Newboy
08-15-2020, 08:35 AM
And they come with their own toothpicks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jetinteriorguy
08-15-2020, 08:41 AM
I’ve dispatched a lot of porkies in my day, but never thought about eating one. Pulled a lot of quills out of my coonhounds nose back in the day. Boy that dog hated them, you would think once was enough.

trapper9260
08-15-2020, 08:43 AM
They're good eatin!

How would you fix them up to eat , just wondering . Do not have them where I am .

MostlyLeverGuns
08-15-2020, 01:02 PM
I skinned one VERY CAREFULLY. The carcass smelled like turpentine from our evergreen surroundings. I did not cook it due to the smell. Might smell or taste better in hardwood forests.

cwtebay
08-15-2020, 01:20 PM
All I can tell you is GREASY. Even on green willows, the amount of grease and taste is reminiscent of a fall bear that has done really well putting his winter fat on. Skinning one is pretty easy, I wear a leather glove on my left hand and skin away.

Texas by God
08-15-2020, 02:48 PM
That was probably the ONLY quill pig killed with a .25 Stevens that day - in the world! Cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

reivertom
08-15-2020, 05:33 PM
How would you fix them up to eat , just wondering . Do not have them where I am .

I'd say, very carefully....

Ozark mike
08-15-2020, 05:59 PM
I imagine it would be like eating a big rat with spines no thank you

TNsailorman
08-15-2020, 07:16 PM
A squirrel is just a tree rat. Mighty tasty too.

cwtebay
08-15-2020, 07:57 PM
They taste like nothing else. Maybe a cross between pork and lamb? Skinning is like casing a fox / coyote / etc. No quills on the belly at all. Hang them from a hind leg, cut down each leg, sever the tail and pull the hide off like a t-shirt. I've heard of folks putting the whole darn critter on the coals to burn quills off - you'd have to be pretty hungry to eat something that smells like burning hair and hide!! I've heard people talk about them being dry - must have been overcooked by a long ways!! Gut as normal after skinning. I've had them roasted and fried and in stew. It's good! Just GREASY like mutton (i.e. sticks to the roof of your mouth). It was mostly started as a youth coming up with 'what if.." scenarios. I believe they are actually illegal to kill in some states and provinces because it's one of the few things a man in the woods can kill without a firearm. I can't say that I would have company over for porcupine, but I would eat it again.

p.s. did not eat this one.

Scrounge
08-15-2020, 08:12 PM
A squirrel is just a tree rat. Mighty tasty too.

And rabbits are ground rats with short fluffy tails and longer ears. A rodent is a rodent. Difference between a squirrel and a Norway or brown rat is a fluffy tail and better PR.

Mk42gunner
08-15-2020, 08:40 PM
That was probably the ONLY quill pig killed with a .25 Stevens that day - in the world! Cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I was thinking this century instead of day.

I really wish the ammo companies would make the old rimfire rounds on a regular schedule, and not that nasty crud from Brazil either.

Most of the old centerfire rounds can be loaded with a bit of effort, RF not so much.

Robert

375supermag
08-15-2020, 09:54 PM
And rabbits are ground rats with short fluffy tails and longer ears. A rodent is a rodent. Difference between a squirrel and a Norway or brown rat is a fluffy tail and better PR.

Rabbits are not rodents.
They are lagomorphs.

cwtebay
08-15-2020, 10:04 PM
Fairly sure a couple of extra upper incisors and a few minor skeletal variations won't affect taste.
Perhaps we are splitting hares?

bikerbeans
08-16-2020, 05:11 AM
Fairly sure a couple of extra upper incisors and a few minor skeletal variations won't affect taste.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk:groner:

BB

OldBearHair
08-16-2020, 05:58 AM
Walking to and from camp while hunting in NM we would pass the tree with a porcupine we named "George". Last evening of the hunt, one of the guys had supper waiting for us. Yeah it was "George" the porcupine and it was the worst thing I ever put in my mouth. Pine tree sap by itself would have been better, it seems. Everyone that took a bite of it almost upchucked. I don't like possum either. Don' want any armadillo (possum on the half shell) Hey I'm off to elk camp bowhunting Sept. 29 NM

375supermag
08-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Splitting hares...really???

cwtebay
08-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Splitting hares...really???Had to be said!! Low hanging fruit my friend.

Baltimoreed
08-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Shot a possum out of the grape arbor once that my Weimaraner had ‘treed’-‘vined’?. Didn’t use anything as exotic as a .25 Stevens though.

Speedo66
08-16-2020, 08:38 PM
Don' want any armadillo (possum on the half shell)

Armadillo can carry leprosy, definitely don't want to try those.

GregLaROCHE
08-16-2020, 10:09 PM
Rabbits are not rodents.
They are lagomorphs.

I never stop learning things on the forum. I always thought rabbits were rodents. Apparently, a lot of other people once did too.

All lagomorphs (meaning “hare-shaped”) are small to medium-sized terrestrial herbivores. They superficially resemble rodents and in older classifications were even included in the order Rodentia, as both possess a set of continuously growing incisor teeth.

375supermag
08-17-2020, 09:42 AM
I never stop learning things on the forum. I always thought rabbits were rodents. Apparently, a lot of other people once did too.

All lagomorphs (meaning “hare-shaped”) are small to medium-sized terrestrial herbivores. They superficially resemble rodents and in older classifications were even included in the order Rodentia, as both possess a set of continuously growing incisor teeth.

Hi...
I guess I spend way to much time reading and studying stuff.
Way too many interests and hobbies...
I tend to immerse myself in the esoteric details of any topic that interests me.

Drm50
08-17-2020, 10:36 AM
I ate porky once in Ontario. Wasn’t that bad but not something I would go out of my way to get.
Had a buddy who wanted to stop at every road kill porky to get the big quills to use as bobbers for Bluegill fishing. Same article in Sports Afield that suggested them for bobbers mentioned them as survival food. I leave them alone but can see shooting them if they are causing you damage. I once had porky chew the cork handles off my fishing rods left outside over weekend. People who live in porky country are careful with their stuff porky might chew on. To me in the wild there is no reason to shoot them.

nhithaca
08-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Really not that hard to kill. My father hated them with a vengeance; they would get into his sweet corn and just shred the whole row, unlike a coon which tends to just pick the ears. Used an electric fence set at nose height, but if they got the jump on him and he caught them, then a good shape blow to the nose with a hardwood grade stake and they just rolled over dead. Actually pretty easy to accomplish, since they move so slow most times.
You can use a 22 LR on them, but body shots just numb them up, have to get a good head or spine shot to kill them quick. A 25 RF would work well I guess because of the larger and heavier bullet.
And they do stink to high heaven. Tend to live right in their own waste, if you have ever seen their dens on the rocks.

gwpercle
08-17-2020, 07:07 PM

Just use one of your favorite Muskrat or Nutria recipes they will come out just fine .
Gary