PDA

View Full Version : 1907 Savage .32 problem

Battis
08-14-2020, 11:26 PM
I've had the pistol for awhile and it works fine, but I noticed that if I release the slide release and the slide slams forward, sometimes the "hammer" (cocking lever) drops forward. It only happens when I flip the slide release. Pulling the slide back and letting it go doesn't cause it. I'm not sure where to look. Any ideas?
I should add that I haven't tried it with a round in the mag - only with an empty gun. I fired it yesterday but I never let the slide slam forward.

More info: I just tried it a bunch of times with dummy rounds, and the hammer/cocking lever never dropped when I released the slide. So, it's probably no big deal. But, I will try it (safely) at the range with live ammo.

Mk42gunner
08-15-2020, 08:48 PM
I'm no expert on 1907 Savage pistols, not even on the internet.

Sounds to me like the energy needed to chamber a round slows the slide enough that the sear can't bounce out of its notch on the hammer.

Robert

Battis
08-15-2020, 10:31 PM
There's a youtube video showing how the gun works. I'm trying to figure out if there's a worn part that might cause the problem, but I don't see anything. It's striker fired, so it's not a real hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wze0y_LGO7Q

Alferd Packer
08-17-2020, 07:06 PM
If you reload, you could just chamber a primed empty shell and then try dropping the slide using the slide release for a test.
On some pistols the hammer is blocked from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled back.
This would be a safety to prevent the pistol from firing if dropped.

onelight
08-17-2020, 08:18 PM
If you cock it and bang on it with your palm will it drop the striker ?
If so you could have a problem with springs the sear or the sear notch on the striker .

rintinglen
08-18-2020, 03:40 PM
I suspect that the sear spring is just weak enough to allow the striker to occasionally be jarred loose when the slide slams forward. My own example didn't do this but I only gave it three tries. The other possibility is that the striker-sear engagement is dirty or worn.

Battis
08-18-2020, 11:23 PM
I spent some time with this pistol, trying to figure it out. The hammer/cocking lever will not drop if there's a dummy round in the chamber, or a primed (empty) case (I tried many times). Only if the gun is empty. None of the parts are dirty and they don't seem to be worn.
It's not a carry gun, and I'm extra careful on the range, so it is what...no, I'm not gonna finish that phrase. I do not like that phrase. Just saying...ah, carap, there's another one.