PDA

View Full Version : NOE 38 compact HEAVYWEIGHT WFN-HP 357-195

cainttype
08-13-2020, 10:20 PM
https://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,2967.0.html

Al has just rendered a drawing for this specialty request...
If you’re a fan of 38 Spcl compacts, you owe it to yourself to check out the discussion.

cainttype
08-13-2020, 10:23 PM
266719Drawing...

mattw
08-13-2020, 10:38 PM
Oh, that should fit my old 627!

John McCorkle
08-14-2020, 12:14 AM
That is awesome....I'm not sure what i would load that with because I've never loaded a bullet over 158 in 38...but 700 fps should be easy enough to get to

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

cainttype
08-14-2020, 07:56 AM
This is what to expect from it’s swaged counterpart at 715 fps...

cainttype
08-14-2020, 08:07 AM
DEEP penetration and massive permanent wound channels, but they will print higher than normal... You have to see them perform to really appreciate what the snubbie is capable of with a heavy WFN-HP.

The bullet could be gas-checked or cast as a solid in other pistols or rifles, but the main idea is to get a mold that closely duplicates the profile (and performance) of the swaged projectile pictured from the 38 Special “pocket gun”.

cwlongshot
08-14-2020, 08:49 AM
Is it a loose copy if the Lyman 358430?

CW

cainttype
08-14-2020, 09:12 AM
Is it a loose copy if the Lyman 358430?

CW

No... The design came about simply by the preferences dictated to semi-duplicate the previously pictured swaged bullet.
The weight was specified at 195 grain with the HP.
The nose length was going to be .4”, to keep the OAL length compatible with the cylinder length of a S&W J-frame.
Keeping as much weight forward conserved powder capacity for whatever it is loaded in.
The width of the WFN and aggressive HP help initiate expansion quickly at low velocity, and the heavy shank carries momentum to push the bullet deep.

Although many cast designs often share similarities, sometimes a lot of them, this proposed mold is simply attempting to closely duplicate the swaged bullet pictured.
Any similarity to other designs is coincidental, and wouldn’t be surprising.

cwlongshot
08-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Caun,

If ya dont know. The Lyman 358430 is a very old mold. It WAS DESIGNED for the old POLICE 200g LOAD. That this NOE is looking to replicate. Of coarse its doing so with a HP that the 430 didnt have. Again as I mentioned the 430 is a very old design. Designed in a time wjere a HP wasNot a thought.

I can see by drawings the bullets are different but not night and day!! No way a bullet designed fro heavy 38 sol would not be related to the 430....

CW

cainttype
08-14-2020, 12:18 PM
Caun,

If ya dont know. The Lyman 358430 is a very old mold. It WAS DESIGNED for the old POLICE 200g LOAD. That this NOE is looking to replicate. Of coarse its doing so with a HP that the 430 didnt have. Again as I mentioned the 430 is a very old design. Designed in a time wjere a HP wasNot a thought.

I can see by drawings the bullets are different but not night and day!! No way a bullet designed fro heavy 38 sol would not be related to the 430....

CW

I’m very familiar with the old 200 RN design, and as stated earlier “many” designs share similarities.
If you want to connect this to the RN it would share similar weight, that’s all.

The bullet is an attempt to duplicate closely the swaged 195, with a grease groove added... Again just similar.

cwlongshot
08-14-2020, 01:12 PM
Just off the phone with Al on this topic. (Best way to get information on NOE bullets!!)

Yes, it is of coarse a loose copy. Also, the RCBS is as much a "cousin". All designed for the 38 HEAVIY bullet loads!

I ordered it so Ill have both in my hand soon enough.

CW

cainttype
08-14-2020, 01:57 PM
Just off the phone with Al on this topic. (Best way to get information on NOE bullets!!)

Yes, it is of coarse a loose copy. Also, the RCBS is as much a "cousin". All designed for the 38 HEAVIY bullet loads!

CW

Had you asked Al where the bullet specs came from he would have TOLD you it was me.
Since your curiosity seems to border on OCD I’ll give you the chronological order...

I contacted Al about month ago to render something similar to the swaged bullet pictured, and suggested MODIFYING the RCBS 35-200 to a large meplat (WFN) and aggressive HP, but keeping the weight at 195 grains.
The resulting bullet was NOT TO MY LIKING.

I forwarded Al changes in the design to better represent what we were going for.
During the following conversation with Al I submitted change suggestions to both nose design and length...The base required being shortened to achieve the desired results.
The wide meplat, aggressive HP, replacing a bore-ride type nose with a full diameter .2” nose section above the crimp groove, lengthening the nose to .4”, and 195 grain weight WITH HP were the set criteria... MY PREFERENCES...
After the nose was drawn with the .2” full diameter above the crimp groove, then tapered to the WFN and HPed, the shank was simply adjusted to achieve the desired weight.

THAT is how the drawing evolved to what it currently is.

The early 358430 had NOTHING to do with ANY of the design parameters of this mold, although it shares a similar weight... As do others.

I hope you enjoy the cast rendition of the SWAGED bullet that I’ve used for over 30 years as much as I hope too... That’s the only reason there IS a drawing.

cainttype
08-14-2020, 03:16 PM

CW

You ordered a mould that is not being made yet?... That’s kinda odd...Your Google-foo must be exceptional! Lol

The drawings were completed yesterday... I posted the thread hoping to generate a little interest to get a Group Buy going.
As of now, the discussion thread at NOE has not even been moved to an active Group Buy, but I’m hoping it happens soon.

I’d be curious what arrives “soon enough”, because there are none of these being mailed any time soon.

Don’t misunderstand my intent here.... I appreciate your interest, and hope you join in to get this design to production.
Pass the hint to any buddies that might find it useful.

cainttype
08-17-2020, 12:38 PM
This has gone “Active” as of this morning.
https://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,2970.0.html

NOE’s GB discount applies to everyone committing... Enjoy.

cwlongshot
08-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Good luck with this! Looks like allot of fun ahead!

You are correct of coarse, I have a 360-197 headed my way.

CW

cainttype
08-24-2020, 12:01 PM
The Group Buy is still “Active” at NOE while tooling is being cut.
This one is moving VERY fast.

Thanks to Al, and NOE, for getting this one going in record time.