PDA

View Full Version : 45 day at the gun store

onelight
08-13-2020, 09:32 PM
The store at the range I go to had 4 45 revolvers in the case today kinda don’t see that often around here.266193

A Ruger 45 colt Bisley a blue 45 colt and 2 stainless 45
ACP ,
I am glad they were high helps me resist the temptation.

Murphy
08-14-2020, 09:17 AM
Seems revolvers are slipping away more and more from gun shelves over the years. Our local gun shop here for the past decade seems to have about a 90% ratio of automatics to revolvers. To worsen matters, most of the good revolvers (S&W, COLT and Rugers) go for a premium. Kind of like revolvers are the new collectibles.

What gun shop in OKC was this? H&H? I was told by a friend who was in there last weekend the shelves are looking mighty bare at H&H. He couldn't find a box of .45 Auto or .380 in the place. Not only that, but that they have now instituted a one box limit per day. I sure hope not. I'm pretty sure the indoor range on Wilshire is no better off at this point.

Murphy

onelight
08-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Seems revolvers are slipping away more and more from gun shelves over the years. Our local gun shop here for the past decade seems to have about a 90% ratio of automatics to revolvers. To worsen matters, most of the good revolvers (S&W, COLT and Rugers) go for a premium. Kind of like revolvers are the new collectibles.

What gun shop in OKC was this? H&H? I was told by a friend who was in there last weekend the shelves are looking mighty bare at H&H. He couldn't find a box of .45 Auto or .380 in the place. Not only that, but that they have now instituted a one box limit per day. I sure hope not. I'm pretty sure the indoor range on Wilshire is no better off at this point.

Murphy
Those are at Big Boys SW Okc near Mustang , not a big store but a great place to do business and a very nice range. But not much for reloading supplies . I don't shoot many factory loads so don't pay much attention to the ammunition they have in stock . But if you need something in particular I can sure check for you. I go to the range there most every Monday and Thursday .

Drm50
08-14-2020, 11:59 AM
Young guy has nice shop near me. He has outdoor and indoor range. He does permit training too.
He has at least 75 handguns in stock. The only revolvers he has new are like Heritage SA 22s and maybe a low end 38 snub. He has one S&W 64 used, looked like a LEO trade in. He does my ship and receiving. The loafers there I know make fun of the Cowboy guns I deal in, S&Ws. If I buy something new it will be off him. Was going to order a Colt 1911 from him and he told me Colt is only selling to stocking dealers and up front outlay runs small guys out. Colt really needs to make more poor business decisions. With all the Govt contracts they have had they are still floundering around. One bad decision after another.

Murphy
08-14-2020, 12:25 PM
Onelight,

Thanks for the information and offer of help if needed. My friend lives in El Reno. He's another reloader/caster. He hasn't done any in a good while now due to health issues. I'm doing okay in the ammunition department. He was just rather surprised at H&H not having any 45 Auto or 380 on the shelves. I haven't been in OKC in probably a year or more now. I had intentions, but the virus hit and pretty much brought everything to a halt I was interested in seeing or doing there.

Drm50, I know what you're saying about the younger ones in the local shops. Seems to the younger ones auto's with polymer frames are THE guns. Those of us with some age on us, are seeing the younger crowd make the change. I'm comfortable feeling years ago, folks had to wonder about those young ones buying all those new double action revolvers instead of a single action. I do have a few polymer framed handguns. But I'll always lean towards my good old S&W's.

Murphy

Der Gebirgsjager
08-14-2020, 12:29 PM
Glad I wasn't with you. I would have had to fondle that big blue S&W, and likely would have left a poorer man.

Texas by God
08-14-2020, 01:34 PM
It's a special day when the LGS has some center fire revolvers other than snubbies in the glass case. What makes it un- special is those are usually the days that cash is found wanting.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

onelight
08-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Glad I wasn't with you. I would have had to fondle that big blue S&W, and likely would have left a poorer man.
That is for sure , don't see S&W 45 colts often and it looks like new from what I could see of it , I barely escaped without it .

onelight
08-14-2020, 02:31 PM
Onelight,

Thanks for the information and offer of help if needed. My friend lives in El Reno. He's another reloader/caster. He hasn't done any in a good while now due to health issues. I'm doing okay in the ammunition department. He was just rather surprised at H&H not having any 45 Auto or 380 on the shelves. I haven't been in OKC in probably a year or more now. I had intentions, but the virus hit and pretty much brought everything to a halt I was interested in seeing or doing there.

Drm50, I know what you're saying about the younger ones in the local shops. Seems to the younger ones auto's with polymer frames are THE guns. Those of us with some age on us, are seeing the younger crowd make the change. I'm comfortable feeling years ago, folks had to wonder about those young ones buying all those new double action revolvers instead of a single action. I do have a few polymer framed handguns. But I'll always lean towards my good old S&W's.

Murphy
Well I hope he gets better soon .
El Reno is where I go to buy my powder and primers from Gene Sears .

Murphy
08-14-2020, 03:39 PM
Well I hope he gets better soon .
El Reno is where I go to buy my powder and primers from Gene Sears .

Yes Sir, my friend lives less than a mile from Gene Sears. My friends health, he has congestive heart failure. He's been handling well though thanks to modern medicine. He had to medically retire 8 years ago. We've been friends since the age of 14 (52 years now). Been down a lot of alleys and more than a few pig trails in S.E. Oklahoma. I do miss the good old days around Fred Bakers in the 80's. His place, and South East Shooters Supply were my two favorite places to visit in those days. Almost forgot Mashburn Arms. I wasn't in there more than 3-4 times I could remember.

Murphy

onelight
08-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Yes Sir, my friend lives less than a mile from Gene Sears. My friends health, he has congestive heart failure. He's been handling well though thanks to modern medicine. He had to medically retire 8 years ago. We've been friends since the age of 14 (52 years now). Been down a lot of alleys and more than a few pig trails in S.E. Oklahoma. I do miss the good old days around Fred Bakers in the 80's. His place, and South East Shooters Supply were my two favorite places to visit in those days. Almost forgot Mashburn Arms. I wasn't in there more than 3-4 times I could remember.

Murphy
Ha , you bring back a lot of memories I still have a mod 29 and a mod 17 I bought at Mashburns in the mid 70's.
And I think Fred Baker could have made a pretty good living off just me and 3 of my shooting buddies we bought tons of stuff there guns and reloading equipment/supplies.
I just recently lost and old friend that was a retired OKC Detective ( retired in 1977 ) he worked at Southwest Shooters a while after he retired . A fine man that is missed by many.
I wish some of those old gun shops were still going.

Prairie Cowboy
08-17-2020, 10:21 PM

Murphy

Revolvers have become the stick shift transmission of the handgun world.

Murphy
08-17-2020, 11:20 PM
Revolvers have become the stick shift transmission of the handgun world.

It sure seems that way my friend. I remember when Glock came out with some sort of plastic gun, they said it wouldn't last. Who knew? I also recall when finding a holster for your revolver wasn't any problem at all. Boy has that ever changed. Of course it's easier to find them now thanks to the internet.

Murphy

rockrat
08-19-2020, 10:37 PM
Spent a lot of time in SWshooters, Mashburns and Bakers. Talking about them brings up bunches of memories. Try and hit Sears when I am in the flatlands.

Been by Big Boys a time or two, they do seem a bit high. They had a M-29 Silhouette Smith that I drooled over, but getting it shipped ($60) to my FFL was a deal breaker. Mustang Pawn is OK too.

That 5" 625 looks pretty nice!!!

onelight
08-19-2020, 11:42 PM
Yup I have bought a few at mustang pawn , nice folks there.

Idaho45guy
08-20-2020, 12:53 AM
This is a photo of my dad's pistol display from around 1995 or so. He owned a gun shop in a medium-sized town in Idaho from the 70's until 2006.

Pretty apparent what was popular 25 years ago, or so...