PDA

View Full Version : Free lead from friends remodeling :) 50+ pounds

ridenclimb
08-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Friend of mine was remodeling a bathroom and there was a 55# lead shower pan. He knows I cast so asked if I was interested. Not one to pass up some free lead I said sure. He dropped off the 55# of scrap a few days ago. It feels like pure lead as it is very bendable. Been too warm to melt it down but maybe this weekend if things cool off I will fire up the turkey fryer and see how many pounds I get after skimming off the junk.

I am betting it will be somewhere around 50# of ingots. Will make a nice pile of 45acp or 9mm bullets once I add some pewter scrap and COWW.

Plan to cast in Sept/Oct when the temps are nice to be outdoors and then size/reload indoors over the winter.

redhawk0
08-13-2020, 02:13 PM
Nice...I have some roofer/plumber/mechanic friends that give me scrap as well....good folks to have around for sure.

redhawk

Winger Ed.
08-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Yeah, its good stuff and about as pure Lead as you'll find.

For .45ACP I put just enough goodies or wheel weights into pure lead so it casts nicely.
Then load to speeds like the factory made Lead swaged bullets.

William Yanda
08-13-2020, 08:16 PM
That's the kind of friend to have.

Green Frog
08-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Great find! I can remember when I thought of 50 lb of lead as being a large amount... until I started casting Minie Balls and other big stuff for muzzle loaders. Now I'd grab that 50+ lb of lead and have it in bullets before you could blink... and be looking for more. Those guns are insatiable!

I hadn't thought of shower pans as a lead source... I guess as lead becomes harder and harder to come by we'll have to look further afield and for less conventional sources. Thanks for the suggestion.

Froggie

lightman
08-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Thats a nice score on some soft lead!

ridenclimb
08-19-2020, 02:35 PM
Well the weather finally cooled off and I melted the scrapped shower pan into ingots. There was definitely more sand/slag than I had thought there would be. Final yield was about 32# of ingots. Not stellar but happy to have more ingots in the stockpile.

Now I have to get to casting so I can keep busy at the reloader over the winter.

fredj338
08-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Good score. I have a friend in construction, came up with over 1200# of roofing lead. he is melting it into 1# ingots & we are trading. I dont need anything near that much pure lead but free is free.