PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 357 project

mickbr
08-12-2020, 06:34 AM
Edited

cwlongshot
08-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Why fix what aint broke???

I have a couple WFN molds that wont chamber in mag or Maxi chambers. I use a 38 case and shoot them in the mag and I use a Dan Wesson case and shoot them in the maxi.

Why? Cause the shorter case allows better bullet looks then seating deep in a mag or max case. I dont consider myself very OCD. But some things just need to
Look "right". ;)

Like the std ojive bullets in a 22 Hornet. They just dont look right!!

38 is a far better carbine round as your using it then as a snub gun caliber. 44 Spl rules that roost IMHO.

Dont ASSUME that the twist won't work with heavies. Just cause the internet or some "commando" told ya so. It aint dangerous. TRY for yourself!! Worst case you see oblong holes and inaccuracy. Its likely going to be slight. Meaning SLIGHT oblong holes. Sometimes a lil more velocity can help stabilize.

Id just shoot and enjoy

Cw

cwlongshot
08-12-2020, 08:06 AM
What I should have said is.

Why waste the $$!! Its gonna do exactly what it does right now... I have a few wild cats myself. But they where built cause what I had couldnt so what I wanted...

Having said that... 100% understand ya want what ya want and here in America ya dont need to justify any such wants!! ;).

I saw a Marlin all case colored and octagon barreled that really tripes my trigger. It wont do anything my 1894 357 cant ceptin maybe look better. But I would like to have one!!

CW

mickbr
08-12-2020, 08:25 AM
Edited

cwlongshot
08-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Thats what I am trying to tell ya!! DONT DRINK THAT KOOLAIDE!!

I doubt your gonna see unstabulized bullets! You can have quite good accuracy with a wibbling bullet too! But what will happen when that bullet impacts something its gonna tumble and probably harshly. A Tumbling bullet inside a target is gonna be every bit and probably more devestatingbthan a expanding HP that tracks straight but expands.

Im just a guy on the internet to you. Good luck with what ever ya do man!!

CW

dverna
08-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Have you tired 180 gr bullets in the Rossi? How did they compare accuracy wise?

If you have a 3 MOA gun with 125-158 gr bullets and 3.5 MOA with 180's it may answer the "is it worth it" question. IMHO the .357 is a maximum 100 yard deer rifle anyway. If you need more range and hitting power, getting a .30/30 might be another approach.

BTW, I have three .38/.357's and three .30/30 lever actions but do not hunt with them. Love shooting the .38's but if I had to hunt with one of my lever actions the .30/30's would get the nod.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-12-2020, 01:23 PM
You just know that after you've shot the conversion for awhile you'll say, "I wish it had a little more power. Like a .357. Oh, that's what I had, wasn't it?"

mickbr
08-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Edited

mickbr
08-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Edited

mickbr
08-12-2020, 03:42 PM
Edited

MT Gianni
08-12-2020, 06:33 PM
If you are paying $1 a lb for alloy, the cost difference in 10,000 rds of 125 gr vs 170 gr is about $64.25. If you shoot a lot you might see the savings this century as it is still young.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-12-2020, 07:23 PM
Thats like saying if owning a 308 win the natural progression is always going to a 30-06.

Uhhh...well.....isn't it? :D Seriously, though-- isn't that one of the pluses of a .357, that you can shoot .38s in it to your heart's content, but when you want to step it up a bit the potential is there. So, one could say that you're cutting off one arm to experience the novelty of being left with only one.

The .357 is a nice carbine, especially the Marlin. I used to own one, but sold it as shooting it seemed like a noisy pellet gun, with no recoil and no steam. Sometimes I've wished I had it back, but other times not so much. If you convert and limit your rifle to .38 Spec. I think you'll regret it after awhile.

Texas by God
08-12-2020, 08:30 PM
What does your friend charge to turn a rifled blank into a 92/ Rossi profile .38 custom twist barrel? The Uberti may cost less after all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bigted
08-12-2020, 09:03 PM
We dont have Koolaid here, I had to google it, and the saying., Its funny a site about accumulating a massive variety of bullet moulds that really dont need to exist but for to provide users with enjoyment, but an oddball chambering gets folks worrying about my choices in life. I'll withdraw this post and keep it going on AR gunsmithing forum I think.

Wow! Seems a bit narrow but you didn't ask me. You did however ask opinions and like the nether regions ... everybody has one.

Having said this ... your premise of a dedicated 38 special chamber has merit. This way you get a chambered rifle with no jump out of a 357 mag chamber when shooting 38 spcl. The other thing is a faster twist barrel to stabilize the heavy's.

Having re-read your post ... you did NOT ask opinions. Srry for the missunderstanding.

kenton
08-12-2020, 11:19 PM
I've recently read about running 38 spl 148gr wad cutters in a 1:10 9mm barrel to get them to stabilize at long range. Might be something to think about.

mickbr
08-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Edited

mickbr
08-13-2020, 06:26 AM
What does your friend charge to turn a rifled blank into a 92/ Rossi profile .38 custom twist barrel? The Uberti may cost less after all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The ubertis here in Australia will run way more. We are paying almost $2500 for them now with the new "covid import price hikes". And as mentioned, not that anyone seems to be reading my whole posts, I would not be comfortable running +P in the uberti. In 357 they hold up, but no one is sure what the internal strength differences are between the special chambered rifles( 38 and 44) and the mag models( 357 and 44 mag)

mickbr
08-13-2020, 06:34 AM
Edited

Buzz Krumhunger
08-13-2020, 07:24 AM
I think the OP should have his Rossi rebarreled to .38SPL with whatever rifling twist he likes, and post pictures of it and the results on target. I’ve seen less sensible gunsmithing projects here in the past, and, after all, it’s his rifle and $$$.

I seldom use .357 magnum in my Rossi 92 carbines.

cwlongshot
08-13-2020, 09:34 AM
We dont have Koolaid here, I had to google it, and the saying., Its funny a site about accumulating a massive variety of bullet moulds that really dont need to exist but for to provide users with enjoyment, but an oddball chambering gets folks worrying about my choices in life. I'll withdraw this post and keep it going on AR gunsmithing forum I think.
It sounds like I have offended you in some way. That was not at all the tact or intension.

I commented from personal experience to access what I saw and obviously something was lost in that translation.

You do you! Enjoy what ya come up with!! Take pics and post them so we can see too!

May god bless,

CW

FYI my Koolaide comment was to address must and widespread misunderstanding if rifling twists and there effect on bullets. (We dont know what each other knows or understands) I sounded to me as if you where going off what ya read or someone told ya. It was not at all a derogatory or maligning comment directed at you!

Der Gebirgsjager
08-13-2020, 10:49 AM
Yeah--methinks you're offending too easily. True, I tried to advise you with some personal history and experience, but tried to include a little underlying humor which you apparently missed. It's absolutely nothing to any of us what you do with your rifle, nor should it be.
Good luck with your project.

dverna
08-13-2020, 12:39 PM
Fellas as my Rossi 357 runs 38 specials with wide meplat bullets so well, I was thinking of getting a friend who is a good barrel maker to put a 1:16 twist barrel on the gun and chamber it 38 special. Reasons.. well to waste money mostly. I never had a great reason for modifying guns beyond that. But really just to have a 38 special on the 1892 with decent twist. Could run 180-200 grain bullets and use it like a mini 44-40 or 'long barrel 38-44', 1200fps for most things.
I could get a uberti in 38 special but I'd be a little nervous about pressures and secondly it works out about the same price as rebarreling a Rossi here anyway.

It looks as if some agreed with your reasoning and you took offense....?

BTW, I was talked into something similar over 45 years ago. I had a S&W M52 and had a spare barrel. My mentor reasoned a 1-10 twist stub barrel would give a bit better accuracy than the stock barrel (think is was 1-18) shooting low powered 148gr WC's. It was a good conversion and, being young and not having a lot of money, he did the work for free. My only cost was for the Douglas barrel. I put thousands of rounds through it and no issues at all.

Not sure if you could reline your Rossi with a faster twist barrel but others may know. Might save a few $$ if it is feasible.

Enjoy your project and let us know how it works out.

mickbr
08-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Edited

joatmon
08-13-2020, 02:39 PM
I like your idea, if 3.5 MOA was all I got from a rifle I'd be looking at a rebarrel also. Your better twist looks good to.
Hope this works out for you. Aaron

Mk42gunner
08-13-2020, 08:07 PM
My opinion is that it is your rifle and your money, do what you want.

If it works, fine. If it doesn't, at least you have learned something.

At the very least, you have enough experience to realize that project guns are money pits that you will never get out of them what you put into them.

Robert

mickbr
08-13-2020, 08:59 PM
Edited

Texas by God
08-13-2020, 10:01 PM
If your Rossi feeds your proposed .38 Special load 100% now, be sure that the new barrel face matches. All three of mine fed .38s better than .357s anyway so there is that. My unsolicited opinion is that a 92 should only be chambered for WCF cartridges. Drift alert, sorry.

bigted
08-14-2020, 11:35 PM
Just an aside to everybody ... I would encourage everybody to re-read the original post.

Note there are no requests for opinion.
Note there is a statement only for what he is considering doing.

Simple no? Like many ... he has considered what he wants to wind up with ... also that there is recognition that it is going to take many penny's to construct a 92 style lever gun chambered in 38 Special AND with a correct faster twist barrel that hopefully will stabilize heavy full meplate boolits.

Personally I think that this is a good experiment for a unique chambered repeating rifle on a nice lite platform.

This is rite up our alley. I for one certainly look forward to not only seeing your new project finished but a field report as to the success of your theory.

Good luck.

Sc0
08-14-2020, 11:54 PM
The one thing I didn't understand about the Rossi's was the deal with the barrel twists? Slow twists in just about all calibers, the main reason a grabbed a few Japchesters which isn't a bad thing at all.

mickbr
08-15-2020, 01:53 AM
Edited

ddixie884
08-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Sounds like an interesting project. I'd like to have one too. What is the exchange rate to US dollars?

mickbr
08-15-2020, 08:06 AM
Edited

mnewcomb59
08-15-2020, 08:49 AM
I have daydreamed about a 38 Blackout for years.

10" twist and a 280-300 grain cast HP and a suppressor.

Once it expands it will be a smaller diameter than a 250-300 gr 45 and will penetrate better because the smaller expansion.

My 250 NOE 45 colt HP mushrooms to almost 80 cal and penetrates only 3 milk jugs/12" gel. Most deer rounds penetrate 4-7 jugs/16-30" gel. My NOE 124 TC HP for 9mm expands to 60 cal and penetrates 3 jugs. Imagine a 250+ grain .358 that mushrooms to 60 cal. Definitely a deer bullet.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/358/360-313-fn-ax2/360-310-fn-rg4-cavity-2gc-2pb-thumper

If I went through with this, I would redesign the chamber and throat to look like a 9mm with a headspace ledge at the end of the brass and a parallel throat and leade, rather than a toilet bowl.

oley55
08-15-2020, 01:26 PM
The one thing I didn't understand about the Rossi's was the deal with the barrel twists? Slow twists in just about all calibers, the main reason a grabbed a few Japchesters which isn't a bad thing at all.

I've often wondered the same, but as someone posted above about the "twist rate Kool-Aid", not all things are equal. I have a Rossi 24" hex barrel in 357 and it does very well with 185gr (187gr) WFN GC'd bullets IF I use the right powder. Tried IMR4227 and it was full on keyholeville, but shoots remarkably with H110. I consistently maintain 2" groups at 100yds through a Marbles tang sight. I just wish the Rossi ejector/bolt face fit was better. A full-on powder load makes for some interesting looking case heads...

I think it would be fun as heck to pop some hogs with my 185gr cast pet loads.

I apologize in advance for veering off the OP's subject, but just can't help myself.

oley55
08-18-2020, 05:47 PM
I apologise for any misunderstandings on this thread. It appears the mods are deleting my posts on other threads. No infractions, or advisements, the posts are just vanishing in the night, like a guy caught workshipping christianity in Iran.I guess being an old Aussie vet my mode of speech is too much for the free speech nation. I edited my above posts which show too much disagreement.

I'm gonna climb out on a limb here and suggest something else is happening to your posts (no idea what though). The moderators are pretty professional IMO and deleted or moved posts always seem to have a message from the moderator explaining the reason for there action. I'd suggest you contact the moderators directly.

robg
08-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Just use 357mag brass and load it ,up ,down, light ,heavy boolits

elmacgyver0
08-18-2020, 06:41 PM
I would say do what you like to the Rossi .
They still make them and compared to everything else they are cheap, or I should say inexpensive, not cheap.
You can always buy another, not like they are rare.
Personally I love my Rossis'

kingstrider
08-24-2020, 08:59 PM
Your gun, your rules. I chopped one of my 357 Rossi's to build a 11.5" SBR.