PDA

View Full Version : Help w/9mm suggestions

buggybuilder
08-11-2020, 11:10 PM
My son and his wife both want a 9mm. I know nothing about these except I've seen a few fellows shooting Glock 19's at the range. Any suggestions? Needs to be "middle of the road" price range.

CastingFool
08-11-2020, 11:20 PM
Before they look for pricing, they need to find out which pistol would work for them. Take them to a range that rents pistols and let them try a few.

Targa
08-12-2020, 07:37 AM
There’s just so many choices out their, like Castingfool said if rentals are an option I would suggest that as well.

Just a few mid price range 9’s that I have experience with and like:
S&W M&P Line....also the SD9VE ( Good bang for the buck)
Beretta 92/m9 line, compact or full size
CZ 75 line, compact or full size
Sig Sauer
As you mentioned Glock.....particularly the 19
FN Herstal
Kahr

There many more, these are just some that I have experience with and enjoyed all of them.

winelover
08-12-2020, 07:38 AM
Casting fool offers good advice. Middle of the road pricing would be those with polymer frames. Size is also a factor. Full size range toy or compact carry piece. Lot of women find it hard to operate the slide of a 9 mm semi auto...........the smaller the gun, usually more spring pressure to overcome.

I own Browning's, Springfield's, Beretta's, Kahr's and Sig's..............no Glocks or S&W's.

Winelover

rintinglen
08-12-2020, 08:30 AM
I heartily concur with all three of the above comments. Trying to obtain a pistol that fits based on someone else's preference can be like buying shoes based on the size of someone else's foot. Go someplace that has several to try and find one that suits, then buy.

onelight
08-12-2020, 08:36 AM
The rental s a great idea if you have a range that rents .
Also a big consideration is how they will be used . Will they be for home defense or concealed carry ? Full size pistols are easier to shoot and operate than compacts and subcompacts .
We don't know any of the people involved or what experience they have or don't have , or how they will use them. I don't think there has ever been a time that has had so many good choices if you have the patience to find one you want.

ioon44
08-12-2020, 09:04 AM
I would recommend the Walther PPQ, it has 3 different grip inserts to fit most any hand and the best factory trigger on the market.

contender1
08-12-2020, 09:20 AM
As an instructor,, I ALWAYS tell folks a few simple things.
(1) Find a handgun that fits YOUR hands.
(2) Buy quality as if your life depends upon it,, especially if you are buying for potential SD. The same with ammo choices.
(3) Get good quality instruction from a non-biased instructor. There are many different brands & models to choose from. Find the best for YOU,,not your instructor.
(4) For the ladies,, a female instructor is a much better choice. they understand the issues they have over us men. And in general, a female instructor will almost always make a new lady shooter more comfortable.
(5) Once you get a firearm,, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

navyvet
08-12-2020, 11:16 AM
When I bought my Glock 19 I tried handling other pistols but the Glock was the best fit in my hand. As has been said, have them try several then worry about price later.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-12-2020, 01:16 PM
For what it's worth I shoot my Glock 48 as good as my 1911 and better than a XDm and beretta 92fs

dverna
08-12-2020, 01:22 PM
One thought to add. Some .40's can be fitted with a 9mm barrel without any gunsmithing. I did that with my Glock 22. It gives you two calibers on one frame and changing takes a couple of minutes. It allows practicing with cheaper and lighter recoiling 9mm and switching to .40 for SD.

Idaho45guy
08-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Have they considered being able to acquire ammo for said 9mm?

Being brand new gun owners, they are going to need to practice. A lot.

If they are worried about the price of the pistols, then they will likely not be able to afford the ammo for them, if they can find it. My local gun shop still has a few great 9mm pistols available such as the Sig P365 and Glock 19, but hasn't had 9mm ammo or reloading components for months.

I have plenty of ammo and components, but I've heard reports that 9mm ammo is going for crazy prices; like $400 for a case of plinking ammo.

skrapyard628
08-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Everything mentioned above is great. I agree that making sure the firearm fits/feels good to the user and that they are able to shoot it accurately are usually the first things to look at. But some things I see overlooked in threads like these are the operation of the firearm. Specifically striker vs. hammer fired, external safety switch vs. trigger safety and SA, DA/SA, DAO.

I wish someone had gone through those things with me when I purchased my first handgun. Personally I prefer carrying a firearm that is DA/SA with an external safety. Some people prefer to only have the trigger dingus safety. Somehow my first handgun only had the trigger dingus because the dingus that bought it didnt really know much at the time.

You never know what someone may prefer if they dont understand the terminology and operation of it.

tominboise
08-12-2020, 03:39 PM
If I could just have one it would be a Glock 26 or a Glock 19. Magazines are everywhere and so are parts. They shoot and handle great. Can also buy a Ruger PC carbine and run the Glock mags in it.

Taurus makes some really nice low priced 9mm's. It's worth searching youtube for Hickok45 and watch his reviews on the various 9mm pistols.

Texas by God
08-12-2020, 04:27 PM
One thought to add. Some .40's can be fitted with a 9mm barrel without any gunsmithing. I did that with my Glock 22. It gives you two calibers on one frame and changing takes a couple of minutes. It allows practicing with cheaper and lighter recoiling 9mm and switching to .40 for SD.OR..... being able to get .40 ammo when there is no 9mm ammo - kind of like NOW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Burnt Fingers
08-12-2020, 04:47 PM
Canik ONE Series.

IF you can find one.

Canik builds some really solid pistols. I have a TP9SFX and a TP9SF ONE.

I'll take them over any Glock.

DougGuy
08-12-2020, 04:55 PM
If the pistol is to be used for defense, I ALWAYS get the buyer to look forward, stretch their arm out fully at shoulder level, then turn their heads, and see if the sights are lined up or fairly close. Reason being, the firearm needs to be an extension of the forearm, and if they do this simple test and sights are anywhere near where they should be, the gun fits and they can point shoot in bright sun, low light, or total darkness and hit what their forearm is pointed at. This is also VERY helpful if an assailant is too close to use the sights.

S&W makes M&P Shield EZ models that are real easy for a woman to rack the slide on now, she might want to check one of those out. They come with or without a thumb safety.

I prefer less bells and whistles externally, so one that is striker fired and no thumb safety would be a plus, but the striker must not store any energy or be pre-charged like a Glock and some S&Ws do. Every shot the same DA style trigger pull. Kahr arms are very good with this, but they may be hard for a woman to rack the slide on.

08-12-2020, 05:02 PM
I would buy one used Glock 19, let them both try it, at least one of them will likely want it, maybe both of them. If neither likes it, it will be easy to sell.

navyvet
08-12-2020, 06:00 PM
I would buy one used Glock 19, let them both try it, at least one of them will likely want it, maybe both of them. If neither likes it, it will be easy to sell.
That sounds like a good plan, never would have thought of it.

Conditor22
08-12-2020, 06:18 PM
As an instructor,, I ALWAYS tell folks a few simple things.
(1) Find a handgun that fits YOUR hands.
(2) Buy quality as if your life depends upon it,, especially if you are buying for potential SD. The same with ammo choices.
(3) Get good quality instruction from a non-biased instructor. There are many different brands & models to choose from. Find the best for YOU,,not your instructor.
(4) For the ladies,, a female instructor is a much better choice. they understand the issues they have over us men. And in general, a female instructor will almost always make a new lady shooter more comfortable.
(5) Once you get a firearm,, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

***THIS*** IF the gun doesn't feel good in their hands it won't shoot well for them.

It's best to try several before you buy

contender1
08-12-2020, 10:44 PM
"It's best to try several before you buy"

The best place to do this, even on a limited, non-firing basis is a gun show. Lots of different things to see. That, or a well stocked gun shop,, that carries a large selection of different brands.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Good luck going to a gun show any time soon

roysha
08-13-2020, 02:41 PM
If the pistol is to be used for defense, I ALWAYS get the buyer to look forward, stretch their arm out fully at shoulder level, then turn their heads, and see if the sights are lined up or fairly close. Reason being, the firearm needs to be an extension of the forearm, and if they do this simple test and sights are anywhere near where they should be, the gun fits and they can point shoot in bright sun, low light, or total darkness and hit what their forearm is pointed at. This is also VERY helpful if an assailant is too close to use the sights.

S&W makes M&P Shield EZ models that are real easy for a woman to rack the slide on now, she might want to check one of those out. They come with or without a thumb safety.

I prefer less bells and whistles externally, so one that is striker fired and no thumb safety would be a plus, but the striker must not store any energy or be pre-charged like a Glock and some S&Ws do. Every shot the same DA style trigger pull. Kahr arms are very good with this, but they may be hard for a woman to rack the slide on.

Excellent suggestion. But to repeat what several other folks have said, so much depends on what one wants to use it for.

reddog81
08-13-2020, 03:12 PM
Have they considered being able to acquire ammo for said 9mm?

Being brand new gun owners, they are going to need to practice. A lot.

If they are worried about the price of the pistols, then they will likely not be able to afford the ammo for them, if they can find it. My local gun shop still has a few great 9mm pistols available such as the Sig P365 and Glock 19, but hasn't had 9mm ammo or reloading components for months.

I have plenty of ammo and components, but I've heard reports that 9mm ammo is going for crazy prices; like $400 for a case of plinking ammo.

But they'll be in the same boat with any other caliber. Unless you can find something locally your SOL. Everything online is going for $.40 around or more - .380, .38, .40, .45, etc. At least with a 9mm they'll be able to buy cheap ammo once it the panic buying subsides.

iron brigade
08-13-2020, 05:16 PM
I just bought my wife a Ruger American pro duty in 9mm. It comes with 3 different grips that you can switch out in seconds. I put the small size on and it fits her well. 9mm stuff is hard to come by.

Drm50
08-13-2020, 06:24 PM
I’ve never bought a Shield new. I have bought a couple that had never been fired. Bought several that were shot a box. I think they shoot well and are a good solid pistol and a good value. The main complaint was how hard the slides were to rack. I haven’t had one for a year, have they changed them so they are easier to rack? I told some old guys to grip slide and rack the pistol. This works a little if they still have grip power.

onelight
08-13-2020, 06:37 PM
I put one of these on a friends Glock 48x and shield and he was again able to operate both comfortably they are a nice addition for a person that does not have much hand strength . They make a unit for each gun .
https://www.recovertactical.com/product/gch-for-the-glock-43-43x-and-48-charging-handle/

LUCKYDAWG13
08-13-2020, 06:43 PM
This looks like it would be better https://www.glockstore.com/Slide-Pull-Charging-Handle-for-G42-43

Tokarev
08-13-2020, 07:57 PM
For a carry gun, you want something that you can cock and re-cock if it misfires. No striker-fired, god forbid! If it clicks and does not go boom, one has to rack the slide, potentially under fire.

So I would second Beretta 92. Awesome design! I am not a big fan of decockers, but Beretta's decocker is nice. A 92FS with an extended, threaded barrel is a sweet dream.

Also, do not laugh at me, a Yugo Tokarev TT is a very nice gun for a very good and experienced shooter (because of a single-stack 9rd mag).
Slim and simple. The only tricky thing to get used to is its half-cock safety, and it still has a very slick slide, so replacing it with a slide from a post-1954 Soviet TT is a good idea.

sixshot
08-13-2020, 08:16 PM
Right now make sure you can get ammo before you invest in a gun. Once you've done that go to work finding a gun that fits your hand as suggested so you only have to buy once. Never thought I would say this but the Taurus guns are very reliable & a good buy for the money. I have 4 9mm's none of them are Taurus but I would have no problem owning one.
My Browning Hi Power would probably be the last one to go.

Dick

Idaho45guy
08-15-2020, 03:36 AM
For a carry gun, you want something that you can cock and re-cock if it misfires. No striker-fired, god forbid! If it clicks and does not go boom, one has to rack the slide, potentially under fire.

Please explain why the US Military and nearly every police department in America uses a striker-fired pistol if they are so awful.

contender1
08-15-2020, 08:01 AM
"Please explain why the US Military and nearly every police department in America uses a striker-fired pistol if they are so awful."

Simple answer; Money.
Bean counters make the final call. Budgets & all push stuff. The reason the 1911 was retired was over the expense. Beretta was chosen over the final competitor (Sig) because of the minor cost differences in support expenses.
LEO dept's always look at budgets. (I know many Chiefs & Sheriff's and my son is LEO.)

And as for gun shows,, they have resumed here in NC.

rfd
08-15-2020, 08:15 AM
a 9mm for what purpose or purposes? size, recoil, design, and operating functionality are valid factors to consider. no question that getting some 9mm shooting experience with any gun is the way to begin the gun acquisition journey.

elmacgyver0
08-15-2020, 08:42 AM
Please explain why the US Military and nearly every police department in America uses a striker-fired pistol if they are so awful.

I don't think it is because they are so awful.
I think it is more some bureaucrat deciding what the peons should carry.

Like anything else, any gun or ammunition no matter how reliable can fail, but it is pretty rare.

higgins
08-15-2020, 10:41 AM
I bought my first 9mm a couple of years ago. Instead of getting overwhelmed studying dozens of makes and models, I just got a Beretta 92 Compact, which is not really a compact pistol. I like the proportions better than the full size 92. Good single action trigger. I like the idea of a hammer; I'm an old guy who's always had pistols with hammers. I'm left handed so the ambidextrous decocker and reversible mag release are a plus. A military pistol design should be debugged by now.

Burnt Fingers
08-15-2020, 11:10 AM

Lowest common denominator.

Training costs.

Those nice trips to the strip clubs courtesy of the Glock rep.

Texas by God
08-15-2020, 11:18 AM
Luckydawg13- that slide device is a no brainer. I’d like one for our Shields if they make them. I made one for a Hi-Point 9mm with its Buick recoil spring from a Mauser stock barrel band.
My pick for a new shooter in 9mm would be a Turkish or Philippines 1911. Because the 1911 is a very easy pistol to learn to shoot well from the beginning. Then move on to the DA/SA, Glock type, fat grip what have you types. Just my opinion from teaching many folks how to use a handgun. The OP stated that the couple wanted 9mm pistols; otherwise I would have recommended a m10 S&W .38 Special revolver.

Tokarev
08-15-2020, 11:25 AM

I don't think it is because they are so awful.
I think it is more some bureaucrat deciding what the peons should carry.

Like anything else, any gun or ammunition no matter how reliable can fail, but it is pretty rare.

"Please explain why the US Military and nearly every police department in America uses a striker-fired pistol if they are so awful."

Simple answer; Money.

Thanks, Contender and McGuyver!
I never actually said that striker guns were awful. I own one and like it, but I won't ever carry it. The reason is right there, in the original post, and you quoted it: double action allows you to keep squeezing the trigger until it fires. Often, a misfired round fires on the 2nd click. Try that with a striker-fired gun!

MostlyLeverGuns
08-15-2020, 12:43 PM
I would ask - How much shooting has your son and his wife done? Will the 9mm be a FIRST handgun - then get a 38 Special S&W, Taurus, Colt, Rossi 4" barrel to start, or a .22 Auto and learn Handling, Safety, Develop some skills... I have 1911's(.45), XD-M's 9mm, an XD-S .45, a S&W Shield 9mm, S&W M&P .40, SIG P226 .40, and a SAR B6P along with some revolvers, .22's and cap and ball pistols. I find the cheap SAR B6P to be a pleasant and accurate pistol, well-made and reliable, a surprising bargain. With factory ammo the .40's are unpleasant, though I like the SIG P226 with its hammer drop(comes in 9mm). The XD-M was first 9mm, selected because I liked the idea of the grip safety. My S&W M&P is my most difficult pistol to shoot well due to tough trigger while my S&W Shield 9mm is easy to shoot accurately(for me). My wife has some difficulty with racking some of the slide, particularly the Shield(not the EZ). Other questions - HOME defense? Everyday Carry? Just Because? Recreation? Hand strength is an important factor, my wife carries a 2" 5 shot Taurus for rattlers and prefers a 686 for recreation. IF you test multiple firearms, that would be best but is there a reason that it must be a 9mm? Ruger, S&W and Taurus also make 9mm revolvers with some models that convert from 9mm to .357?

Green Frog
08-15-2020, 02:09 PM
Late to the discussion, but here’s my contribution. I decided I “needed” a 9mm semi-auto... in spite of the fact that most of my handgunning tends to involve S&W revolvers. I had recently inherited a Model 39-2 Smith, but it was too nice for frequent use, so I built up a Second Generation S&W 9mm to suit myself, a Model 639 with a 439 upper, to give me a retro looking all-steel (blue and stainless) and wood version. No plastic guns for me!

Froggie

LUBEDUDE
08-15-2020, 02:29 PM
My son and his wife both want a 9mm. I know nothing about these except I've seen a few fellows shooting Glock 19's at the range. Any suggestions? Needs to be "middle of the road" price range.

I had family members ask me the same thing. This is going to be their first pistol. The husband researched the internet and decided on a Glock 19.

I suggested that he hold and coonfinger one first and come over and handle my G19 along with about 6-7 other nines.

He did not like the Glock at all. He decided on an all steel Pistol instead. My daughter was open to whatever he liked.

Norske
08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Most wives' hands are smaller and weaker than their husbands. She needs a handgun she can hold properly and reload easily. In 9mm, the S&W EZ is a game changer. He can properly grip a double-stack, she likely will need a single stack in a 9mm semiautomatic. Guys, don't pick a handgun for your wife!

onelight
08-18-2020, 11:07 PM
It's best if they can shoot them . I have seen many women and men pick a really small light gun for a first gun because it feels good in the store and when they get to range and shoot several they are not at all thrilled with the original choice .
I also tend to recommend revolvers to people that want a gun for defense but are not particularly interested in shooting enough to become competent with operating the gun. Just checking to see if a semi-auto is loaded can cause a jam. DA revolvers are much simpler and less prone to operator error IMHO.

Idaho45guy
08-20-2020, 12:39 AM
It's best if they can shoot them . I have seen many women and men pick a really small light gun for a first gun because it feels good in the store and when they get to range and shoot several they are not at all thrilled with the original choice .
I also tend to recommend revolvers to people that want a gun for defense but are not particularly interested in shooting enough to become competent with operating the gun. Just checking to see if a semi-auto is loaded can cause a jam. DA revolvers are much simpler and less prone to operator error IMHO.

The flip side of revolvers being supposedly more reliable (I've had more fight stopping issues with revolvers than semi-autos) is that revolvers generally recoil more, are harder to shoot more accurately, are more expensive, require more expensive ammunition, and hold far less ammunition than a comparable semi-auto.

If you're dealing with a moron that can't grasp the concept of racking a slide before firing in a semi-auto vs. just pulling the trigger on a revolver, then yeah, maybe a revolver is better for them. Or, if they lack the hand strength to rack a slide...

But for most folks, a good semi-auto has way more advantages than disadvantages over a revolver.

My girlfriend is in the market and will likely end up with a Ruger Security 9. Her parents are unique and I actually recommended a Taurus .22 Magnum revolver. Why? Because the father has MS and can't hold or rack the slide of a semi-auto. The mother has terminal cancer and is weak as well. Neither has the ability to load rounds in a magazine. $400 is a LOT of money for them.

9-shots of .22 Magnum for under $400 in a pistol that is light, simple, and dependable is perfect for them.

I might actually buy one for them just so they will feel safer in their rural home.