PDA

View Full Version : Helped With the Coin Shortage

Johnch
08-11-2020, 10:54 PM
I had a bunch of loose change in a pail next to the washer
As I get ready to wash cloths I would take the change out my pockets

So the other day I ask the small local Bait & Tackle Shop owner if he wanted some change
I cast a few Downrigger cannon balls for him every year and he is a nice guy
So I like to help out the local stores

He was more than happy to sort and count the change
He told me if I wanted fishing lures he had in stock
I could get them at cost

So I hauled the bucket over to his shop today
From looking in the bucket , more penny's than I hoped
But I had over 2 gallons of change

So in a day or two
I will be stocking up for bass and walleye fishing

John

osteodoc08
08-11-2020, 10:59 PM
Definitely trustworthy To let someone else count your money and give you a total. Sounds like you’ve known this guy a while, but I don’t trust anyone when it comes to stuff like that.

Sounds like a good deal considering gear at cost

Ozark mike
08-11-2020, 11:16 PM
I'll take free money's if people are handing it out:kidding:

tomme boy
08-12-2020, 12:32 PM
I cashed in a 4 gal water bottle full last week.

El Greco
08-12-2020, 12:43 PM
Took mine to my bank. They put it in a machine counter and they gave me $160.
Not too bad.

dangitgriff
08-12-2020, 06:31 PM
John, PM me your address so I can send you an empty pail!
[emoji383][emoji1783][emoji383]

Eddie17
08-12-2020, 06:51 PM
Did the counter have a cost?

Conditor22
08-12-2020, 07:50 PM
I quit putting money in my curse jar, that should halp alot

Geezer in NH
08-12-2020, 09:33 PM
My bank does not charge for coin counting. Seems a better bank is needed.

fatelk
08-12-2020, 11:38 PM
I took in a big old jar full of nearly all quarters and dimes. They'd just been sitting around for decades. Bank teller thought they looked funny, but cashed them in anyhow. An extra couple hundred dollars comes in handy.

:mrgreen: (just kidding)

tomme boy
08-13-2020, 12:27 AM
Actually one thing everyone needs to do if you shop at Walmart is to check the reject tray in the coin machine in front of the store. It will kick out all silver coins. I have got some really nice silver. And a few Buffalo nickels. It is the sound they make when going through the machine it is different than the clad coins of today.

It does not take anything to just look everytime you go in.

Land Owner
08-13-2020, 06:03 AM
With time on my hands, and an electro-mechanical sorter, I roll my own. It is satisfying to watch the sorter throw coins into the four slots and even more satisfying to count the total when I am done. I have looked through them first for wheat and steel pennies, buffalo nickels, silver dimes and quarters, and the odd dates. I am familiar with Numismatics, but am an amateur, only dipped toe in the water, compared to those in the business. Those that deal strictly in cash rack up the multitude of coins. I used to get tips and in those there would occasionally be Silver Certificates (near the holidays). I have a stash of those and $2 bills, which are still available for the asking I am told.

tomme boy
08-13-2020, 10:43 AM
$2 bills you just go to the bank and have them order them for you. They are still printing them the last I knew.

farmbif
08-13-2020, 10:50 AM
last time I took jars of coins to bank for counting 22's mixed in gummed up the works and they politely asked me not to bring in anymore change.

Johnch
08-13-2020, 12:49 PM
$2 bills you just go to the bank and have them order them for you. They are still printing them the last I knew.

I got some of them
I also got a uncut Sheet of $1 ,$2 , $5 and $10 for Christmass presents over a few years
I Hinted I would REALLY Like the $20 , $50 and $100 sheets also
But Dads answer was not something I could put on the web post LOL

Also I have to keep presents like those in the safe

John

Geezer in NH
08-13-2020, 05:22 PM
My bank returns all silver and foreign coin still no charge. :)

Johnch
08-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Definitely trustworthy To let someone else count your money and give you a total. Sounds like you’ve known this guy a while, but I don’t trust anyone when it comes to stuff like that.

Sounds like a good deal considering gear at cost

Lets see
I have known him for ... well since 1980
In 1980 his family moved in just down the road
Same year he helped me install a 400 smallblock in a 1975 4 door Nova
Also in that project was a new rear end , a transmission and a 4 speed stick

LOL The police would never even look at me in a faded out forest green Nova
But I had a lot of fun with that car

I introduced him to his wife ( I am still not sure if he one day will hate me for that )

We have hunted and fished together ever since

John

dolfinwriter
08-13-2020, 08:43 PM
I cashed in a 4 gal water bottle full last week.

Sheesh, I hope you guys are looking for the Westpoint minted quarters that have been put into circulation in limited numbers in 2019 and 2020. Finding one in just about any condition is like finding a $20 bill: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=west+point+minted+quarters&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=12

Disclaimer--I am not selling any of these and I am not promoting anyone else's sale. I post the link here as evidence of what I am saying.

And just in case anyone thinks I'm pulling their leg about these first ever W minted quarters being just dumped into circulation for collectors to find:
https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/mint-releases-first-ever-w-quarters-into-circulation

Never mind the possibility of finding even rarer coins, silver, solid copper pennies, possibly even gold that some dealers dumped into circulation in 2019 as part of "The Great American Coin Hunt." They wanted to get people searching their pocket change again for rare or more valuable coins because pretty much all the silver has been already pulled out. I said PRETTY MUCH all of it--I still find silver dimes and such once in a while.

Guess I need to go through my jar full that I've pulled out of my pocket at the end of each day, and roll up what's not worth keeping and take to the CU....