PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe this.

tankgunner59
08-11-2020, 12:25 PM
I'm sitting in my living room watching an old movie which I love to do. But the advertisements are the uninteresting part, but there is one that just blows my mind. It's the MTV music video awards, I cannot believe what young folks call "music" these days. I am so glad that I collected the music that sounds good to me because almost no radio stations play it any more.

dangitgriff
08-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Today’s country music sounds like 1980’s pop music.
I cannot stand the way modern country music incorporates rap lyrics/styles. It’s country! It’s rap!
It’s CRAP.
R/Griff

Ozark mike
08-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Ohh dont get me started on this subject cause it just drives up my blood pressure every time i have to sit in someone else's vehicle and they turn on the radio. What passes for music nowadays is sad

Thumbcocker
08-11-2020, 12:48 PM
If you listen to music on YouTube the algorithm finds other music you might like. It is pretty accurate for me. I have around 80 songs / videos in my favorites. You can start by just searching for your favorite songs and then it will suggest more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jsm180
08-11-2020, 12:50 PM
I'm sure our parents said the same thing about the music we listen to.

Ozark mike
08-11-2020, 12:57 PM
I'm sure our parents said the same thing about the music we listen to.

Yeah but my music predates my parents for some reason haven't figured that out yet i have a hard time listening to anything after about 1965 mom and dad would listen to what ever came over the radio. explain that one to me

Scrounge
08-11-2020, 01:12 PM
I'm sitting in my living room watching an old movie which I love to do. But the advertisements are the uninteresting part, but there is one that just blows my mind. It's the MTV music video awards, I cannot believe what young folks call "music" these days. I am so glad that I collected the music that sounds good to me because almost no radio stations play it any more.

I'm going to go with Hugh Laurie. "There are two kinds of music. Good music and bad music. Everything else is just cataloging."

I'm another old white guy. I grew up on 50's bubblegum and Country and Western. My personal collection has a couple of Rap pieces. More than a couple of pieces of Steampunk. Dozens of piece of Baroque, and several other genre's of Classical, more than a little of both old and new Country, Ragtime, and even some stuff from the Kaluli people of New Guinea. Their music is birdsong. I'm also fond of Filk. That is science fiction fandom lyrics, often attached to popular music of just about any age. I believe the word that applies is "eclectic." Music is supposed to reach across cultures. There are things about Rap culture that I don't like, but there are elements I can understand quite well. Tupac's Dear Mama is one that gets to me. I was raised mostly by a single parent mother, too. Though mine wasn't a crack queen, and I didn't get myself killed young and make her even more unhappy, like he did.

For a while there, my girls were listening to nothing but JRap. Japanese music inspired by Rap. I'll admit some of that was hard to take! ;)

justashooter
08-11-2020, 02:05 PM
I'm going to go with Hugh Laurie. "There are two kinds of music. Good music and bad music. Everything else is just cataloging."

I'm another old white guy. I grew up on 50's bubblegum and Country and Western. My personal collection has a couple of Rap pieces. More than a couple of pieces of Steampunk. Dozens of piece of Baroque, and several other genre's of Classical, more than a little of both old and new Country, Ragtime, and even some stuff from the Kaluli people of New Guinea. Their music is birdsong. I'm also fond of Filk. That is science fiction fandom lyrics, often attached to popular music of just about any age. I believe the word that applies is "eclectic." Music is supposed to reach across cultures. There are things about Rap culture that I don't like, but there are elements I can understand quite well. Tupac's Dear Mama is one that gets to me. I was raised mostly by a single parent mother, too. Though mine wasn't a crack queen, and I didn't get myself killed young and make her even more unhappy, like he did.

For a while there, my girls were listening to nothing but JRap. Japanese music inspired by Rap. I'll admit some of that was hard to take! ;)

2004-2009 living in china with a chinese girlfriend we compromised on chinese language covers of American pop songs. some of the chinese singers are really very good.

Nobade
08-11-2020, 03:42 PM
No point to it any more, we lost the rock n roll when Lemmy died. The rest is a pale interpretation.

marlin39a
08-11-2020, 03:46 PM
I have a local station in Prescott, KAHM. Great, soothing music. News on the hour. I did buy an internet radio that gives me stations from all over the world. I don’t listen to C(rap).

popper
08-11-2020, 04:00 PM
In some unremembered school class I had to write an essay. Chose (don't know why) ancient African drum and 'music'. Drum was originally a signalling device then competition and 'music'. We're back there with rap. Fortunately the 'mexican' jumping auto fad has faded.

Texas by God
08-11-2020, 07:08 PM
What I can't stand is the classic rock stations that play the classic rock songs that I got tired of when I was a teenager. That said, we do have a couple of stations locally that play a good selection of new and old music across the country and rock genres. Mostly Deep album cuts which is what I like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dtknowles
08-11-2020, 10:21 PM
There is not a music radio station that does not bore me after a couple weeks if I can stand them for that long. They play the same songs over and over and their play list has too few items. Even streaming services loop the same suggestions over and over. The music I bought I have listened to more times than I care too. It is all so boring I quit listening.

Tim

45workhorse
08-11-2020, 10:43 PM
Talk radio junkie!

jsizemore
08-12-2020, 02:40 AM
Try this:

https://www.thatstation.net/listen-live/

bakerjw
08-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Our local rock station has started playing songs where they have been paid to do so. Some of this isn't rock but hip hop pop crap. I'm starting to do more Pandora to get what I want to hear.

gwpercle
08-12-2020, 11:09 AM
I removed the radio & tape player from my 1968 Chevelle .

Installed dual Cherry Bomb Glass Pack exhausts on the speed modified V-8 .

Drive with the windows down now and enjoy the sounds...
That's some SWEET MUSIC !!!

FathomBlue68
Gary

Digger
08-12-2020, 11:15 AM
I removed the radio & tape player from my 1968 Chevelle .

Installed dual Cherry Bomb Glass Pack exhausts on the speed modified V-8 .

Drive with the windows down now and enjoy the sounds...
That's some SWEET MUSIC !!!

FathomBlue68
Gary

And there ya go !!

Murphy
08-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Whoo boy! Todays music, what a train wreck. I'm 66 now and wouldn't even know what todays Rock & Roll sounds like. In my early teen's I started listening to country. Of course Gospel, and soul music was tossed in as well. Back to the earlier Rock & Roll and country. Anyone who was in their teen's in the mid 60's to mid 70's, got the best of it all. Or at least that is my feelings. Country? Wow, I have to go back farther and farther to find the 'good stuff'. Sometimes, I wonder how many "Lefty's" were out there playing and singing back then? I dropped my Sirius radio subscription, nothing I really care for on it other than a few oldie stations. And, I've an extensive collection of music at my fingertips. I keep it all backed up as MP3 files. 1000's upon 1000's of songs. I make my own CD's for my vehicles. I can get 150 songs average on one disc in MP3 format.

Murphy

Bookworm
08-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Try this:

https://www.thatstation.net/listen-live/

I have to disable my ad blocker to try that station. Ain't happening.

MT Gianni
08-12-2020, 06:11 PM
I listen to pandora and you tube when I want music. Audio books in the car except I go for local news when travelling whenever possible. I was fishing one drainage over from the Teton Dam when it gave way and we went through Rexburg 40 minutes before the water. It is nice to be informed.

luckyday
08-13-2020, 09:08 AM
There used to be two types of music, Country/Western and Rock, but that was back when there were two types of genders. Since we moved South I listen to music on the computer so I can find what I like. While I spent the last 15 years in Maine I got addicted to the French/Canada type of music, now my friends and family think I'm weird.

tankgunner59
08-15-2020, 09:21 PM
I have a lot of CD's of the music I like. It includes some classic rock, some old country (like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Alan Jackson, Josh Turner) and some old Gospel. And people who know me well are surprised that I like some classical too. I can still find some of it on a couple radio stations around here.

Battis
08-16-2020, 09:58 AM
I found a music genre that's actually really good, well, most of it. It's called Dark Country. Guns, God, revenge - good stuff.
Here's a sample (once you get past the ads):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjV2Zqujb0c

dagger dog
08-17-2020, 01:53 PM
Try 91.9 WFPK Louisville KY they stream from Sinatra to ZZ Top and back, give them a try, if you don't like the first song just wait and the next will be way different.

gwpercle
08-17-2020, 02:09 PM
No point to it any more, we lost the rock n roll when Lemmy died. The rest is a pale interpretation.

Lemmy was more Heavy Metal than rock and roll .
For Rock and Roll I think Fat's Domino , Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard ...but I guess I'm older than you . I loved to watch Fat's Domino perform ... he really enjoyed playing music ... you could see his face light up ... much under rated performer .
Gary

KCSO
08-17-2020, 02:10 PM
I remember telling my Dad, Glenn Miller, how can you listen to that and he chided me for listening to the Beatles. Now mostly I either listen to classical or Glen Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman...

talon7825
08-17-2020, 02:11 PM
I have been a mobile DJ for over 30 years,,,, I still get requests and play much older music... I doubt that will be the case years from now. This music dies almost the at the same time it hits the charts

talon7825
08-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Thank you, my son and mother in law like it too, wow a station for everyone

Idaho45guy
08-18-2020, 04:07 AM
I have Sirius/XM in my SUV and listen to everything from hair bands from the 80's to classical music. I love all sorts of genre's and have even enjoyed a rap song or two. But, I'm only 51 and not an old bitter fart like most folks here, lol.

That being said, if you don't like this, then you are a heathen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0GWSD8swY

One of my favorites is a blue grass/rock-a-billy blend such as this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FzVhw8_bY

Battis
08-18-2020, 06:13 AM
If you listen to the above Dead South song "In Hell I'll Be In Good Company", it'll be stuck in your head for days.

FISH4BUGS
08-18-2020, 07:03 AM
Funny...our parents said the same thing about rock 'n roll in the 50's. :)
That said, today's music really is not all that great.
As a former on the road musician, playing R&B in the late 60's with an 8 piece band (with 3 horns) and playing all over the mid west, at least our music and words could be understood.
From a technical perspective, most of what passes for music today is over engineered and just plain crap.

metricmonkeywrench
08-18-2020, 07:50 AM
I'm in the eclectic category, My base music is the good 60-80's country music- the story tellers that didn't need fancy studio tricks. Growing up in the late 60's and 70's what is called classic rock was the normal in my little suburb. Ill listen to about anything but will walk away from the modern ADD music (same verse/riff 100 times), Rap music, acid rock/speed metal and most foreign stuff (Japanese, Hindi, Mexican etc).

I am a fan of good clear vocals, clean melodies and toe tapping beats. If a string and/or brass section can be brought in all the better. another yardstick that I use is if the same music can be performed without power or music studio tricks...

I got bored with what's on the radio years ago, I'm too cheap for satellite and now run around with a USB chip in my truck stereo with my selected music library songs.

dangitgriff
08-18-2020, 11:54 AM
I grew up listening to songs that made a difference. Speaking of:
https://youtu.be/jbJGmalqAIg

fcvan
08-21-2020, 07:20 PM
I bought my wife an XM player with a boom box so it could be played in the car or in the house. She said, "So you want to pay to listen to music?" There was a few weeks where I could sign up without activation fee before January 1. I talked her into getting a 3 month subscription and then think about it. We spent New Year's Eve checking it out and she was hooked.

A couple months later there was a funeral in Indiana and so the wife had to drive from Nor CA to IN. I hooked it up in the car for the drive and she told me she could listen to the same station nonstop from here to there. Yup, hooked.

After I moved her and our youngest to Colorado she said she didn't need the XM anymore as there were plenty of radio stations on the front range. She added that I would need the XM for my drives to CO. Loving baseball games, I could listen to three games a day while driving. I also listen to some talk radio, comedy stations, and quite a variety of music.

I bought my wife a car that had XM capability so she asked me to hook it up. She also wanted to know what station I generally listened to so we could be listening to the same music together, sweet if you ask me. I generally listen more to XM on my phone app or computer, some music, some talk.

I once took a bike ride from N CA to CO with a buddy on our Harleys. I put the XM receiver in the saddle bags with an antenna under the passenger pillion. We tool back roads and generally cruised at 50-55. There is a lot of pretty country on Highway 50 through Nevada, Utah, and Colorado. We were going down the road and he heard me busting up laughing. Next gas stop, he asked what I was listening to. Yup comedy channel, older routines without profanity. Classic stuff. Otherwise, 60s 70s rock, 50s 60s Country, back when there was a difference between 'country and western.' Still, I get on a blues or bluegrass kick. Love the variety, love the fewer ad interruptions.