PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon behavior

AK Caster
08-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Yesterday the wife spotted 2 coons at 3 pm on the other side of our big pond. They jumped into the water and started swimming directly across towards our house. I grabbed a gun and started yelling. They never changed course and kept of swimming directly towards us. My initial reaction were they were rabid so I popped both of them while they were swimming.
Thoughts?

Tatume
08-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Unlikely to be rabid if traveling together.

farmbif
08-11-2020, 10:01 AM
I've always believed if I see a raccoon during the day, something is wrong with it and it needs to put down, like you said might very well be rabid, better safe than sorry

Tatume
08-11-2020, 10:09 AM
I've seen plenty of foxes and raccoons behaving normally in the daytime. It is not unusual.

bakerjw
08-11-2020, 10:40 AM
Something may have run them into the water. I normally leave them alone unless they harass my chickens or start getting destructive.

AK Caster
08-11-2020, 10:56 AM
It was a first for me. Swimming across the pond directly towards me as I was yelling and waving my arms. Maybe I was wrong but decided to end it when they were in the water as it gave me an advantage.
Doubt I hurt the local population any but still dont like to kill just for the sake of killing.

bedbugbilly
08-11-2020, 10:57 AM
I have seen lots of raccoons out and active during daylight hours. Normally you think of them as a nocturnal creature but not always so. To me . . . raccoons (and possums) are like unwanted relatives . . one shows up and then their whole family. I battled with them for years and they would get in the old barns on the farm and could sure make a mess of things . . . not unlike woodchucks who would suddenly show up and there would be a den . . . unbelievable how they could tear up the stone foundations. I've seen raccoons tear metal gable vents right out so they could get into the attic. I used to live-trap them and transplant them miles away but I finally gave up and dispatched them. Usually if a pair of them was around, they'd be good for at least three young ones (litter). It was the same way as skunks . . . they are known to be carriers of rabies so when we sw any on the farm, they were sent to the happy hunting ground as we didn't want them anywhere around the cattle and livestock. I have dispatched many raccoons over the years that "weren't right" in their behavior or appearance. In talking with our Vet, he stated that the raccoons are well known as carriers of feline distemper as well and his advice was to follow the three "S" method . . . shoot, shovel and shut-up.

375supermag
08-11-2020, 11:43 AM
Hi...
I think you did the right thing.
I always worry when I see raccoons out during daylight hours.
One came straight for me years ago while pheasant hunting. I yelled at it but it wouldn't stop until a load of 12ga. #6 shot hit it.

reddog81
08-11-2020, 01:34 PM
Carwash down the street has a dumpster out back and the raccoon that lives nearby is frequently out in the afternoon and evening. I start to wonder if I don't see him for a couple of days.

Ozark mike
08-11-2020, 01:47 PM
1 coons can be active during daylight hours
2they will try to take you on if they feel like it without rabies
3 rabid coons act weird they will not travel with another one and will display cognitive deterioration kinda like joe biden (sorry couldn't resist)

gnostic
08-11-2020, 01:59 PM
They get in our dumpster and can't get out, so, I put a board in and they'll soon be gone. I take my dog for a walk at 10pm and recently we've had to run because of skunks...

MaryB
08-11-2020, 03:43 PM
I live trap them then shoot them in the trap and bury them. There is a rabies outbreak here and I am not taking chances. 2 skunks have met their maker this summer and 3 raccoons!

Froogal
08-11-2020, 04:05 PM
I have live trapped a few, but they have a tendency to wreck the cage, so anymore, I just feed them.

country gent
08-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Ive noticed the coons are bolder here than I remember them. Out in the day closer to people buildings and roads, I had one that was in the garbage can 10:00 in the morning and was with in 15-20' on me and the house. Just looked at me and hissed once then went back to business. LOL. I dont trust animals that bold. Several farmers have told me coons in active barns is much more common now.

bayjoe
08-11-2020, 08:05 PM
plenty of animals scrounging for something to eat during the day around here.. Probably due to the drought. We got a badger that comes up in the front yard during the day. He's just looking for something to eat. I'll leave him alone as long as he minds his manners.266135

Ozark mike
08-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Well its a fact the more humans populate the woods yore gonna have more runins with wildlife and the do serve a purpose

GhostHawk
08-11-2020, 09:06 PM
Better safe than sorry, I'd of done the same.

Healthy coons tend to not be out in full daylight. I used to see them come out as the sun went down if I was bowhunting near a water source.

NyFirefighter357
08-11-2020, 09:10 PM
I've seen plenty of foxes and raccoons behaving normally in the daytime. It is not unusual.

Many animals aren't as nocturnal as many believe. They are seen less around houses during the day but seeing an animal like a raccoon or fox during the day doesn't by itself indicate anything. Now if it's acting strange or looks sick that's something to be watchful for.

Dimner
08-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Earlier this week, there was a raccoon acting very strange in our neighborhood. This is at 1pm. Someone tried to shoo it away and it actually came at the poor lady. Police were called. Racoon actually bit the officer (shoe, no flesh) before he put it down.

I wonder if it's something to do with the very hot weather here.

tankgunner59
08-11-2020, 10:00 PM
A couple years ago I had a problem with whistle pigs in my back yard, in the city. I went to the local farm store to get a live trap to relocate them. While I was there a clerk saw my trap and told me a story about an older farmer who was buying some traps earlier. So hew asked the guy what he did with the coons he trapped. The guy said he marked them and turned them loose. He asked if he marked them with paint or what, as I smiled and nodded my head. The guy said he marks them with a 22 trap pistol and turned them loose, and I nodded my head again. Incidentally that summer, in my postage stamp size back yard, I caught 4 groundhogs and one cat and one opossum. They were all taken to a spot outside of town and dropped off. (still alive)

Ozark mike
08-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Earlier this week, there was a raccoon acting very strange in our neighborhood. This is at 1pm. Someone tried to shoo it away and it actually came at the poor lady. Police were called. Racoon actually bit the officer (shoe, no flesh) before he put it down.

I wonder if it's something to do with the very hot weather here.

Oh sure when the cop shoots em its a public service but when i shoot the snarling rabid deer in my backyard they Don't believe me and issue a ticket then on top of that they won't let me keep the meat. Ya i see how it is:roll:

Dimner
08-12-2020, 12:03 AM
Oh sure when the cop shoots em its a public service but when i shoot the snarling rabid deer in my backyard they Don't believe me and issue a ticket then on top of that they won't let me keep the meat. Ya i see how it is:roll:

I help the lady with her gun related chores, showing her how to strip and clean, where to get supplies etc. She wanted to shoot it. Her better half talked her out of it. He is really her better half.

oldscool
08-12-2020, 12:25 AM
They were just coming across the pond to loot you for reparations. Don't you know you cannot fault them for that? They might get you arrested for brandishing:D

contender1
08-12-2020, 08:58 AM
Ok, to start with,, I'm a State Certified Animal Damage Control Agent. I make my living by dealing with wildlife & their interactions with people. I have trapped & dealt with wildlife all my life, and when NC developed a program to certify people to deal with problem animals LEGALLY,, a game warden recommended me for it.

Normally nocturnal animals seen during daylight does NOT automatically label them as dangerous, diseased etc. (As well noted by some above.)
Raccoons are one of the primary rabies vector animals that causes the spread of the disease to many other species. This is due to their aggressive nature, and normally bold attitudes. Plus, rabies can be in an animals system, DORMANT,, yet still transferable.
As such relocation is NOT advised.

Raccoons are generally considered a game animal, and as such, are regulated by most State Wildlife Agencies. Out of season trapping, relocation, etc can be illegal in most jurisdictions. WE HERE ON THIS FINE FORUM DO NOT ADVOCATE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES.

Where legal, trapping & relocation may be an option. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,, consider this.
Normally there are only 3 types of property in this Country.
Federal.
State.
Private.

Federal property,, It is illegal and even a FELONY to move & release any animal upon Federal property without PRIOR written permission.
State property. Pretty much the same as Federal property,, except in some states the charges may or may not be felonies.

Private property. In most states, there are "Trespass laws" that also make it an illegal activity. You must get the owners permission to trespass,, and IF LEGAL to relocate an animal, put the animal there.

I know that several states look at such stuff differently. And as such,, even LEO personnel may tell you to do whatever. Do so at your own risk. And remember,, "Ignorance of the law is no defense in a Court of Law." (Think lawsuit here,, by an irate property owner.)

Liability.
Sadly, in todays environment,, lawyers are everywhere,, and many people just look for a way to sue somebody. In NC,, where I'm certified,, they taught me long ago a simple rule I should (and DO) follow: "Do your job as if you are being videoed, and that video will be broadcast on the 6 pm news, where every animal lover will see it!"
And I often tell people to do a simple "What if" scenario. "What if you are transporting a wild animal in a cage or trap, and are involved in a wreck. Rescue personnel are attempting to render aid to you or others, and are bitten by the animal, and it turns out to be carrying the rabies virus. Who is liable, and who is going to be sued?
YOU ARE!!!!!!

In most states,, there are "home protection" laws,, where if you own a home or property,, and an animal is causing damage, you do have legal recourse's. I would strongly suggest that everybody study the law BEFORE you have a problem, so you can deal with any potential future issue legally.
In general, you are allowed to kill an aggressive animal, (Such as the coon that bit the boot of a LEO & he shot it,) but it may not be legal to kill an animal just because it was on your property. Also, LEO's are allowed to dispatch wildlife, (and so are private individuals) in most places when there is an aggressive animal attacking someone. BUT,,, most LEO's are NOT allowed to deal with problem wildlife because they are not certified by the wildlife agencies. Domestic animals, (dogs & cats in general,) are not wildlife & as such, can be dealt with by LEO's, usually their County Animal Control Division.

So, back to the OP.
Just because the coons were seen in daylight, not always a problem. Swimming,, a coon does it more often than most realize. Disregarding your yelling & such,, again, a coon doesn't scare easily. Dogs,, can & will make a coon take notice, and will run or fight. Usually run if given the chance. Aggression by a coon can only be judged when you invade it's space, or attempt to alter it's behavior, say,, by trying to take away food it wants.

Just this week, I have caught 3 coons, and I got a call while typing this reply, about a 4th coon. I expect at least 2-3 more this week.

Tripplebeards
08-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Last week my buddy had one laying in his yard in the same spot since since sun up foaming at the mouth. He walked out about noon with a shovel and got rid of it. He said it was growling, and making weird noises with foam and bubbles coming out of its mouth. I get rid of every nuisance raccoon that I see rapid or not. IMO they raid every turkey nest on my property. Pound for pound I bet they are stronger then a Kodiak Bear. I got rid of 19 Nuisance raccoons in the last two months and one nuisance possum so far. You see I keep repeating the word “nuisance”. In my state I can remove any nuisance animal on my self owned, “private” property year around legally. Unlimited numbers and no license needed. Hopefully it helps with my turkey Egg hatch and polt population next spring. I’ve had several Nuisance raccoon, coyote, and fox come in to my turkey yelps while calling in the spring... 99.9% never made it another step after gracing my presence. I’m guessing the ones you got rid of were young first year coons out for stroll...gone wrong.

Froogal
08-12-2020, 09:26 AM
Yes, raccoons are considered to be a game animal here in Iowa, and there is a season for hunting and trapping, but it is also legal for us to eliminate the raccoons if they are damaging our property or otherwise being a nuisance.

Tripplebeards
08-12-2020, 09:31 AM
The raccoons where also living in my hunting shack. Spent a good $1000 plus on supplies and a season and a half of labor building it. Piles of dung and chewing on it as well so I finally was on a mission this year. It’s been two years coming but just never got around to it till the last couple of months.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-12-2020, 09:32 AM
In farm and ranch communities raccoons are considered destructive and a nuisance. Kill chickens, tear up gardens, destroy corn, kill or injure other small animals including dogs and cats, get into animal feed of any sort and generally tear things apart. They seem to do well even with trapping, shooting and constant persecution. They are shot on sight in our 'neighborhood'. There are raccoon tracks in the dirt most days even with the attempts to eliminate.

Dimner
08-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Ok, to start with,, I'm a State Certified Animal Damage Control Agent. I make my living by dealing with wildlife & their interactions with people. I have trapped & dealt with wildlife all my life, and when NC developed a program to certify people to deal with problem animals LEGALLY,, a game warden recommended me for it.

Normally nocturnal animals seen during daylight does NOT automatically label them as dangerous, diseased etc. (As well noted by some above.)
Raccoons are one of the primary rabies vector animals that causes the spread of the disease to many other species. This is due to their aggressive nature, and normally bold attitudes. Plus, rabies can be in an animals system, DORMANT,, yet still transferable.
As such relocation is NOT advised.

Raccoons are generally considered a game animal, and as such, are regulated by most State Wildlife Agencies. Out of season trapping, relocation, etc can be illegal in most jurisdictions. WE HERE ON THIS FINE FORUM DO NOT ADVOCATE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES.

Where legal, trapping & relocation may be an option. BUT,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,, consider this.
Normally there are only 3 types of property in this Country.
Federal.
State.
Private.

Federal property,, It is illegal and even a FELONY to move & release any animal upon Federal property without PRIOR written permission.
State property. Pretty much the same as Federal property,, except in some states the charges may or may not be felonies.

Private property. In most states, there are "Trespass laws" that also make it an illegal activity. You must get the owners permission to trespass,, and IF LEGAL to relocate an animal, put the animal there.

I know that several states look at such stuff differently. And as such,, even LEO personnel may tell you to do whatever. Do so at your own risk. And remember,, "Ignorance of the law is no defense in a Court of Law." (Think lawsuit here,, by an irate property owner.)

Liability.
Sadly, in todays environment,, lawyers are everywhere,, and many people just look for a way to sue somebody. In NC,, where I'm certified,, they taught me long ago a simple rule I should (and DO) follow: "Do your job as if you are being videoed, and that video will be broadcast on the 6 pm news, where every animal lover will see it!"
And I often tell people to do a simple "What if" scenario. "What if you are transporting a wild animal in a cage or trap, and are involved in a wreck. Rescue personnel are attempting to render aid to you or others, and are bitten by the animal, and it turns out to be carrying the rabies virus. Who is liable, and who is going to be sued?
YOU ARE!!!!!!

In most states,, there are "home protection" laws,, where if you own a home or property,, and an animal is causing damage, you do have legal recourse's. I would strongly suggest that everybody study the law BEFORE you have a problem, so you can deal with any potential future issue legally.
In general, you are allowed to kill an aggressive animal, (Such as the coon that bit the boot of a LEO & he shot it,) but it may not be legal to kill an animal just because it was on your property. Also, LEO's are allowed to dispatch wildlife, (and so are private individuals) in most places when there is an aggressive animal attacking someone. BUT,,, most LEO's are NOT allowed to deal with problem wildlife because they are not certified by the wildlife agencies. Domestic animals, (dogs & cats in general,) are not wildlife & as such, can be dealt with by LEO's, usually their County Animal Control Division.

So, back to the OP.
Just because the coons were seen in daylight, not always a problem. Swimming,, a coon does it more often than most realize. Disregarding your yelling & such,, again, a coon doesn't scare easily. Dogs,, can & will make a coon take notice, and will run or fight. Usually run if given the chance. Aggression by a coon can only be judged when you invade it's space, or attempt to alter it's behavior, say,, by trying to take away food it wants.

Just this week, I have caught 3 coons, and I got a call while typing this reply, about a 4th coon. I expect at least 2-3 more this week.

Man, I would love to do a ride-along with someone in your job. Seems like a very interesting profession.

DocSavage
08-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Ages ago I had a coon sitting on the roof of the store room connected to my house nice bright sunny day. Figured it might be rabid and called city animal control. Lady ansers asks me few questions and tells me leave it alone it'll leave on it's own. Told her nicely I have 3 dogs and while they're out raccoon comes down from roof I'll shoot it not taking any chances rabies etc told I'd be fined for discharging firearm within city limits. Replied I'll pay the fine cheaper than and less painful than rabies shots. Animal control never showed up,coon was on the roof for 12 hrs,finally left around 12 AM.

Slugster
08-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Coons killed off my chicken flocks three years in a row. Got my ducks, but took them a while. This year's flock is kept in a metal roofed dog pen with locking pop hole in the heavily built coop. Also have a three strand electric fence around the chicken yard. Any that breach my security...SSS.

Froogal
08-12-2020, 05:42 PM
In farm and ranch communities raccoons are considered destructive and a nuisance. Kill chickens, tear up gardens, destroy corn, kill or injure other small animals including dogs and cats, get into animal feed of any sort and generally tear things apart. They seem to do well even with trapping, shooting and constant persecution. They are shot on sight in our 'neighborhood'. There are raccoon tracks in the dirt most days even with the attempts to eliminate.

I regularly find raccoon droppings in my backyard, even though I never see any coons, and there is no evidence of any damage from them. I do keep watching though, and will quickly respond if and when they begin to destroy things again.

Tripplebeards
08-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Two more down today...up to 21!

snowwolfe
08-12-2020, 07:01 PM
I noticed a steady increase in the number of turkey poults each year since I started to kill nuisance coons around where we live. Might be a coincidence, but I plan to continue to get rid of the trash pandas that dont know enough to keep to themselves.

Tripplebeards
08-12-2020, 07:14 PM
^^^^I've read a lot of articles saying the practice of removing them will help the turkey population. Apparently they were put on the planet to raid nests and kill the hens sitting on them.

contender1
08-12-2020, 10:38 PM
"Man, I would love to do a ride-along with someone in your job. Seems like a very interesting profession."

Dimner,, actually, some days can be interesting,, but mostly,, not. A LOT of my work is dealing with squirrels getting into homes,, (especially flying squirrels around here,) and bats also roosting in houses.
So, a lot of my work is actually doing general home repairs. I first seal all POTENTIAL openings an animal might use to enter a house. Think gaps, cracks, holes etc of 1/4" and bigger. (Bats only need 3/8 of one inch to crawl through.) So, I spend a lot of time fixing dormers, soffits, gable vents, etc. So, ladders & such are a big part of my work. Plus, I live in a mountainous area,, so we have huge houses, built on the sides of mountains, (GOTTA have that view) to where it's HARD to access a lot of points. I do my work primarily on the exterior. Tedious work and demanding.
Then, at the PRIMARY entry/exit point, I install an exclusion device to allow the critters to exit,, yet are not able to re-enter. I leave these devices in place at least a week, return, remove them, and final seal & paint such places.
Trapping & removing critters is only about 25% of my work. Too many folks would prefer to "trap & relocate humanely" instead of the required euthanasia route. But I do a fair number of coons, groundhogs, beaver, skunks, on an annual basis.
Today's coon was a fair sized male, aggressive, and spent a good part of the time I had him trying to tear my trap apart, and escape. My traps have been modified to take such abuse, and as such,, he was unsuccessful.
And I've had the pre-exposure treatment for rabies. So, if I get an exposure, my boosters will only cost me around a grand. Post exposure treatment can run 5 grand on average.

The most common question I get is; "What's the most unusual critter you've caught?" I usually reply; "The customers or bystanders!" To me,, no animal is unusual. I have had some non-native species,, but I was still educated enough to know what to do. But the people,, especially those who are not versed in wildlife,, aahhh,, those are the best!
My favorite is the black guy, who was watching me talk a juvenile skunk into walking into my cage trap, inside a mfg plant about 5:30 am. His reaction to my work was PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!
And yes,, he watched me talk to this skunk, and it walked into my cage,, and there was NOT any bait in the cage either. But,, he didn't know my trade secrets, or about the animals,, and as such,, he about freaked out,, with a lot of VERY COLORFUL language about the "crazy white guy who talked that skunk into the cage."

But as noted,, most of my work involves ladders, steep mountains, wasps attacking me, (got stung yesterday,, and when on a ladder, you can NOT jump or jerk,) bats flying out from cracks or gables, a squirrel who charged out a hole, jumping on my chest before jumping to the tree, the coon who literally jumped into wide open air space out of a chimney top, snakes in odd places, (and yes, I've been struck at by poisonous snakes,, but not bit,) are all but a few of my daily life.
Ever try & remove extremely deadly snakes,, (think Gabboon (spelling) vipers,,, no known anti-venom, of cobras, etc, ) from illegally stored containers by an illegal breeding operation? Over 60 poisonous snakes in that trailer.

No,, it's not as interesting as one may think. And yes,, there have been 2 guys on TV who do this kind of work. Both are IDIOTS!!!! Billy the exterminator, and the Turtle Man. Talk about over acting & crazy stuff by those two characters.
And yes,, I was offered a spot on TV for a show; "Live Free or Die" being filmed locally, by a NYC producer. I told her that (a) I was a professional, and could not act that stupid, and (b) fake drama ruins the reputation of a true professional.

Interesting? Sometimes. But mostly,, it's a job, and it does require a good amount of knowledge about a wide variety of wildlife, AND you also have to be a GOOD handyman repair guy. People pay for results,, and not for BS. In fact,, in trapping, you have to be able to trap just the nuisance animal, and NOT the local pet population. A lot of normal trapping methods won't work.

But, back to the OP & such.
My favorite definition of a raccoon is; "A raccoon is like a little bear on crack cocaine."

iomskp
08-12-2020, 11:15 PM
In my part of the world we don't have rabies or Raccoons, the only time I have seen anything to do with Raccoons was the animated movie The Incredibles 2, 40 or so minutes in the baby has a run in with a raccoon, near tore a gut muscle funniest thing I have seen in years. Sorry if a bit off topic

mattw
08-13-2020, 08:36 AM
My guess is that they were ok, but afraid of something. I ran into one rabid one years ago, it was wandering around like a drunk. I did not have a gun with me and my wife was driving down to the farm and I asked her to grab a gun for me... She only brought my slug gun and slugs :( I missed at 12 feet the first time, red dot was set for 100 yards. The darn thing did not even act like it heard the shot, then turned and came toward me. Number 2 got it.

Tripplebeards
08-13-2020, 09:40 AM
In my part of the world we don't have rabies or Raccoons, the only time I have seen anything to do with Raccoons was the animated movie The Incredibles 2, 40 or so minutes in the baby has a run in with a raccoon, near tore a gut muscle funniest thing I have seen in years. Sorry if a bit off topic

Google them. They eat babies faces. I watched a couple of YouTube videos of kids after reconstructive surgery. Apparently raccoons had lived in the house Prior to moving in and crawled into the baby cribs. They chewed on the poor little kid’s heads and faces. I’m sure they smelled food or milk on them.

To me a Raccoon is nothing more than a big, strong, smart rat.

Geezer in NH
08-14-2020, 04:10 PM
Had to trap coons at the daycare as they were defecating in the sandboxes and 2 kids came down with the worms they have in there stool.

In 1 week we had removed over 30 coons. All were euthanized. We do not release any because all that would do is give the problem to someone else. [bad business plan I know]

A few weeks before the Police had to shoot 1 there as it appeared to be rabid. F&G stated no sense testing it as it is rampart with them at the time.

Bang Switch
08-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Hydrophobia = fear of water.
If they jumped into the pond they didn't have rabies.

richhodg66
08-14-2020, 08:20 PM
Even if they weren't rabid, they carry all kinds of nasty stuff.

I live in the sticks. Though I don't like to kill anything without a good reason, coons and coyotes get shot of they get seen. Everything else gets a pass if it's not causing a problem unless I plan to eat it.

Froogal
08-15-2020, 09:56 AM
Even if they weren't rabid, they carry all kinds of nasty stuff.

I live in the sticks. Though I don't like to kill anything without a good reason, coons and coyotes get shot of they get seen. Everything else gets a pass if it's not causing a problem unless I plan to eat it.

Pretty much the same here. We are surrounded by fields of corn and soybeans. Directly across the road is about 100 acres or so of conservation reserve, and then there are hay fields and pasture land as well as timber. Raccoons and other critters will survive just fine without helping themselves to my garden, so I make sure they don't get that chance.

imashooter2
08-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Texas by God
08-15-2020, 02:32 PM
"Tree Pigs" as I call them. Shot on sight usually ; along with skunks and feral hogs on my property. No closed season no bag limit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

richhodg66
08-15-2020, 05:44 PM
Possums get a pass and in fact, I'd likely go out of my way a little to protect one from harm. We have skunks come through the yard, normally I wouldn't care, but since we have a dog again, and a young and energetic one, I might be tempted to shoot one, though I passed on one that was in the yard a while back, thankfully after the dog was inside. I may regret that one day.

It's funny, I sometimes think I may be turning into a tree hugger, but I have gotten really slow to kill anything for a couple of years now. I still enjoy getting out, I will continue to deer and squirrel hunt because I like it and I like eating them, but if I come home empty handed or miss a chance on one, it doesn't bother me like it might have a few years ago.

Coons are nasty enough, both in temperament and potential to cause problems that if seen, I will try to do it in. Coyotes even more so.

Ozark mike
08-15-2020, 05:53 PM
Yes we had coons raid our chicken house back when i lived in mo don't see em in my part of mt now. Possums are way worse in the disease dept along with bats and humans but as long as they don't mess with my stuff i leave em alone with the exception of wolves

firefly1957
08-15-2020, 06:10 PM
I would have done the same as you did .

richhodg66
08-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Yes we had coons raid our chicken house back when i lived in mo don't see em in my part of mt now. Possums are way worse in the disease dept along with bats and humans but as long as they don't mess with my stuff i leave em alone with the exception of wolves

Possums are immune to rabies. Pretty much every coon in America carries rabies, distemper, parvo or some combination of them. Not sure where you got that information from.

Ozark mike
08-15-2020, 07:15 PM
Possums are immune to rabies. Pretty much every coon in America carries rabies, distemper, parvo or some combination of them. Not sure where you got that information from.

There is alot more out there then rabies is what i was gettin at. I think rabies is the least of my concern

Tripplebeards
08-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Anything that eats turkey eggs are considered a nuisance and are removed from my property when ever I get the opportunity.

fatnhappy
08-15-2020, 07:34 PM
My dog is a 70 lb boxer. She's extremely territorial around the home, and when I say extremely, she once leveled my son's scoutmaster when he came over unannounced while my daughter was outside.
3 weeks ago tonight she's going bonkers outside, I look out figuring I'll see her nemesis, the amazon truck. Nope, she's fighting a coon in the middle or the yard.

I had a mini-30 in arms reach. the coon went up the apple tree before I could get a safe angle.

I have nary a clue how or why a coon would have been in the middle of the front yard at dusk. Since it's every action was bent on escape, I called it good and let it be.

My dog did not agree with that decision. Every time she's out she checks that tree before she does anything else.

For the record, her world revolves around my daughter.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50230949687_5b6ea30215_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jwJKjF)[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/188713145@N04/] (https://flic.kr/p/2jwJKjF)

yeahbub
08-21-2020, 12:40 PM
One of the nastier parasites that wild-bred raccoons can be counted on to have besides rabies is roundworm. From what I read, in a raccoon, they stay in the digestive tract, but not so in humans. The larvae in the raccoon dung can enter through your skin and migrate to anywhere in your body, including your brain where it will likely form a cyst, and if inoperable, will kill the sufferer.

fcvan
08-21-2020, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE For the record, her world revolves around my daughter. [/QUOTE]

That picture says it all

firefly1957
08-30-2020, 08:45 AM
I do not know why so many people make so many false claims about possums they carry many diseases including rabies they normally do not die from rabies because of a low body temperature and like skunks can be born and die with it while giving birth to infected offspring . Their are other nasty things they carry also and possums are tied to transmission of T.B. between cattle and deer.
The only good purpose of a possum is to test skills with everyday Carry Pistol!

Froogal
08-30-2020, 09:20 AM
I do not know why so many people make so many false claims about possums they carry many diseases including rabies they normally do not die from rabies because of a low body temperature and like skunks can be born and die with it while giving birth to infected offspring . Their are other nasty things they carry also and possums are tied to transmission of T.B. between cattle and deer.

Raccoon kool-ade is very effective against possums also.

jsizemore
08-30-2020, 09:25 AM
I used to work at a student apartment complex while going through college in Fla. Kids were always taking their refrigerator garbage to the ponds to throw out. The gators thought it was a tasty snack. When folks would walk by the ponds the gators thought they were gonna be fed and hauled out, mouth wide open. The conditioned response was set and short of electric shock or shotgun it wasn't gonna change. Students didn't like seeing us shoot them so it was catch and remove time. One apartment complex on the south side of town used to allow pets. Folks would use those screw in anchors on a chain to let "Fifi" get some fresh air and exercise. You know the rest of the story.

I use stinky "leftovers" in a sandy area to see whose around.

jsizemore
08-30-2020, 09:28 AM

Possum is good for a leg trap set.

contender1
08-30-2020, 10:15 AM
firefly1957,, you are generally correct. Possums CAN possibly carry rabies. But the instances are so low that in many places,, the numbers of cases attributed to them is inconsequential.
Here in NC,, as a State Certified ADC Agent, by law, I am NOT allowed to relocate mammals I trap such as raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, etc. Yet, by NC law I am allowed to relocate opossums,,, BECAUSE they are so low on the list of rabies vectors as to not be recognized as carriers. Wanton killing of any species for incorrect beliefs is NOT a way to get animal lovers to stand with us at the polls.

firefly1957
09-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Contender1 animal lovers will never stand with us they are the ones spreading the lies and hiding the facts on animals like possums! Last year I saw a news story about California introducing possums! The fools have no clue how many ground laying birds and animals like turtles that will be destroyed over that stupid idea! Here in Michigan only a state licensed animal control person can remove any wild animal from a property they are caught on I do not know what the rules are after that they vary by animal and county they are caught in most are quietly destroyed .
A friend in the big city had terrible problems with his (former ) possum loving neighbor he had one in live trap and was filling garbage can with water to "dip it" when neighbor came out and said you better not do what I think you are doing. He explained the state and city laws the guy said you can put it in my yard . so he put the live trap over the fence and opened the gate . The possum hit the ground and went right to the neighbor biting his shoe , the neighbor stomped it to death then told my friend to do what he needs to do!
I catch and bury many possums some years I am very rural and a shot to the head is normal dispatch this year one got in a trap on back porch for chipmunks being a small live trap I dipped it in water an hour later I found about 30 ticks in the water ! Now there is a disease vector not to ignore!

Ozark mike
09-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Back in missouri kicked a dead cow 2 possums came running out of its butt i imagine they taste like buzzards

contender1
09-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Here in NC,, due to the issue of rabies,, no relocation of any species of mammal that could be a rabies vector. The State did exclude possums from the list.
Our strain of rabies was DNA traced to Florida & south Georgia. It skipped SC, but appeared in NC. It was actually traced to a few hunting clubs,, illegally importing foxes, (the fancy horse riding fox hunter types,) as well as a few good old boy hunting clubs importing coons. There were fines & such,, but once it took ahold,, our problems increased.

As an ADC guy,, by NC law,, we can not use the "dipping" method if euthanasia. I find it a bit stupid,, because it's effective & cheap. But the most ridiculous part about that,, is I can get a trappers license,, set traps on the water's edge,, that foot catch an animal,,, AND have a slide wire to where the animal goes into the water & drowns. Legal trapping method,, but not legal to put a cage in the water.
I've been suggesting to the State for several years that we need to correct this double-standards type of law.

Ozark mike
09-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Just use a machete or hatchet

Tripplebeards
09-13-2020, 10:47 AM
I’m am happy to say I have cleared out over 30 nuisance coons in the last couple months and 8 Possums. No wonder I had them denning up in my hunting shack, leaving piles all over it, and chewing on it. I’m hoping my local turkey population will migrate over to my property again without being hassled so much.

10-x
09-13-2020, 03:57 PM
267691 Momma coon kinda left these 2 in back yard as the marsh and creek are few 100 yards away. Had 2 coons as pets when a kid so little ones I let em be and feed em a little. They have grown up some and come back 1 or 2 nights a week. Had grown ones that “ had to go” few years back, cona bear does the job.

derek45
09-14-2020, 08:05 AM
smart, mean and nasty

If they grew to 175lbs, they would take over the world.

Kill em all and let God sort em out.

Three44s
09-14-2020, 10:24 AM
................. We have skunks come through the yard, normally I wouldn't care, but since we have a dog again, and a young and energetic one, I might be tempted to shoot one, though I passed on one that was in the yard a while back, thankfully after the dog was inside. I may regret that one day...........

For a while we had a Veternarian from Kansas here in our area who worked in feedlots there. I lost count how many times he warned me that back in Kansas, practicing there he found skunks by far as the biggest vectors for rabies.

Best regards

Three44s

Tripplebeards
09-14-2020, 03:02 PM
smart, mean and nasty

If they grew to 175lbs, they would take over the world.

Kill em all and let God sort em out.

Pound per pound I bet they are tougher than a grizzly bear...and way smarter.