PDA

View Full Version : the lesson here is there is no such thing

fatnhappy
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
as "excessively dead."

Buck strikes back: Deer hunter injured

http://www.sedaliademocrat.com/news/sedalia_13125___article.html/headache_season.html

missionary5155
12-02-2008, 08:09 PM
When I went through tank commander school someone asked the quetion.. "Sarge, if the enemy vehicle is in flames.. why shoot it again ?" Old sarge said " Troop, ammo is cheap. Your young hide cost this mans Army a big bunch of money to train. Shoot the enemy vehicle twice no matter how burned up you think that other crew is".
I have made it a HABBIT of shooting ALL critters that can inflict me with bodily harm twice. Ammo IS cheap. That may sound barbarian to some but I am near 58 years old and I plan on eating what I hunt... not get eaten.

10-x
12-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Kinda like the carpenters rule,.... "measure twice, cut once"...:bigsmyl2:

AZ-Stew
12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Oops. Thought I edited this one. See below.

AZ-Stew
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
I have made it a HABBIT of shooting ALL critters that can inflict me with bodily harm twice. Ammo IS cheap. That may sound barbarian to some but I am near 58 years old and I plan on eating what I hunt... not get eaten.

:holysheep

Or, holey sheep, if you're sheep hunting.

The guy made the mistake of not ensuring the critter was muy-DEAD-O before handling it. I learned that one before I ever took a deer. Find a long branch or use your rifle barrel to touch the eye. If it blinks, whack him ag'in!

Regards,

Stew

Bigjohn
12-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I would take offence if someone 'poked' me twice with a .270" and would want a piece of him if I was able. :bigsmyl2:

I learned that lesson many years ago and always come in on a down animal from behind its head, out of its line of sight. The kangaroos here down under can inflict life threatening injuries if they get hold of you. Disemboweling is the word.

John.

sav300
12-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Bigjohn,aint that the truth,love it when I see somebody (city fool) hand feeding wild roos.
OR greenies.
Lionel

runfiverun
12-03-2008, 05:45 PM
the eye poke is the only way to check if something is dead.

Southern Son
12-04-2008, 03:55 AM
A mate of mine and I were out spotlighting foxes. We have shot one and my mate says he will go and get it. So I hold the spot light on the area where it went down (it was a paddock full of long grass and nothing else so finding a dead fox laying in the shadows in the long grass can be tricky), and he grabs his .22 and takes off. For once, he found the fox easy. He picks it up and starts walking back towards me. Suddenly the fox whips around and takes a nip at him so Mehmet (my mate) drops the fox like a hot spud. Mehmet loads up his .22 and shoots the fox twice more in the head. Mehmet then picks up the fox again ancd walks the rest of the way back to the car where I was. Mehmet said that he could hear me LMAO the whole way back. When he gets back to the car he drops the fox next to the car and as I get out it whips around and bites me on my foot (luckily I was wearing my old army boots). Now Mehmet is laughing his ar$e off and I am trying to get a twice dead fox off my foot. Eventually I got my foot out of it's mouth and Mehmet shot it through the head from up real close.

45nut
12-04-2008, 04:03 AM
What? No pictures?

Cactus Farmer
12-04-2008, 05:50 AM
In the late 60s a fellow shot a deer out of season and at night,loaded it into his car and drove in the garage. After shutting the garage door,opened the trunk. The deer proceeds to exit said trunk and the fight is on........the fellow finally gives up and opens the door. A neighbor,hearing the ruckus sees the deer run down a couple doors and dies in a yard. The car has no front or rear window glass and the fellow went to the hospital for 150+ stitches. He was then arrested for game violations ,lost his gun,car and a great deal of money not to count the pain and scaring from a "DEAD" deer.[smilie=w:

Jim
12-04-2008, 06:03 AM
My Great Uncle was the sportsman in our family and taught my brother and I to hunt and fish. I remember him teaching me, when I was a young teenager, the best way to determine if an animal has any life left in it. Poke it in the eye with a stick, your finger, the barrel of your gun or anything that will suffice. No living creature can stand the pain of that without reacting, regardless of the fact that it is unconscious. If it even so much as quivers, it's still alive.

Charley
12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
In the late 60s a fellow shot a deer out of season and at night,loaded it into his car and drove in the garage. After shutting the garage door,opened the trunk. The deer proceeds to exit said trunk and the fight is on........the fellow finally gives up and opens the door. A neighbor,hearing the ruckus sees the deer run down a couple doors and dies in a yard. The car has no front or rear window glass and the fellow went to the hospital for 150+ stitches. He was then arrested for game violations ,lost his gun,car and a great deal of money not to count the pain and scaring from a "DEAD" deer.[smilie=w:

I was told the story that back in the mid 60's, an SAPD officer shot a whitetail with his shotgun while on patrol, and tossed it in the trunk of his patrol car. When he drove back to HQ at shift changed, he opened the trunk, and the "dead" deer leaped out and raced around the fenced parking area, hotly pursued by a couple dozen SAPD officers. Was finely cornered and killed with a service revolver. The .41 S&W worked better than the buckshot did.

badgeredd
12-05-2008, 07:56 PM
A mate of mine and I were out spotlighting foxes. We have shot one and my mate says he will go and get it. So I hold the spot light on the area where it went down (it was a paddock full of long grass and nothing else so finding a dead fox laying in the shadows in the long grass can be tricky), and he grabs his .22 and takes off. For once, he found the fox easy. He picks it up and starts walking back towards me. Suddenly the fox whips around and takes a nip at him so Mehmet (my mate) drops the fox like a hot spud. Mehmet loads up his .22 and shoots the fox twice more in the head. Mehmet then picks up the fox again ancd walks the rest of the way back to the car where I was. Mehmet said that he could hear me LMAO the whole way back. When he gets back to the car he drops the fox next to the car and as I get out it whips around and bites me on my foot (luckily I was wearing my old army boots). Now Mehmet is laughing his ar$e off and I am trying to get a twice dead fox off my foot. Eventually I got my foot out of it's mouth and Mehmet shot it through the head from up real close.

Is that the reason for
"WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT"

Southern Son
12-06-2008, 03:09 AM
BadgerEdd, the first round that hit that fox was a .222. Blew a great big chunk of scalp off the top of the fox's head. Looked like something that should have killed it. The next couple from Mehmet's .22 must have missed the brain (it was dark and the fox was laying in shadows in the long grass). I'll tell you though, I got a hell of a shock when it latched onto my foot, but I got an even bigger shock when Mehmet started to put the .22 againts the fox's head WHILE MY FOOT WAS STILL IN IT'S MOUTH. I think that Mehmet and I are each others bad luck charms. The last few times we went out shooting in western NSW I got beaten up by 2 different kangaroos and he got attacked by an emu. After those events we decided that it would be better to find someone who is safer to hunt with. I don't know if a more powerful rifle would have killed the fox with the first try, but the last time I went spotlighting for foxes with Mehemt, we used my .300Win Mag. Those foxes did not recover.

AkMike
12-06-2008, 03:23 AM
the last time I went spotlighting for foxes with Mehemt, we used my .300Win Mag.

Like I always say when asked why I carry a bigger gun... There is no such thing as over kill... Dead is dead!!

Hardcast416taylor
12-06-2008, 08:36 AM
As a young pup on the farm we always had some city kin out on opening day. We beat this large corn field knocking down a fair number of roosters. At the end of the field we took a break. Guns were stacked against a rail fence and the dead birds were laid out for examination. About 5 minutes later 1 rooster stood up and before we could jump on it it flew away. We figured it had only a crease to it`s head, but played dead for about 15 minutes. After that incident we would wring their necks to be sure.:coffee: Robert

Blammer
12-06-2008, 12:54 PM
there is only dead, and then there's dead and messy.