PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else use a lee handpress?

mickbr
08-10-2020, 01:01 AM
having retired from big game calibres my experience had been RCBS rockchuckers and Lee Classic cast type units. Didnt need multi stage, just needed heavy and tall. I'd never considered hand presses until getting into pistol and lever cartridges later on. I was also suprised by the weight, when mine turned up I thought the box was empty it was so light! Obviously not high volume options but great to take to the range, on the road or sit in front of the TV doing just one stage. What am I missing here, do these things fall apart eventually or do they give years of reliable service?

Ozark mike
08-10-2020, 01:05 AM
Dont know about the lee but the lymans accomplished what they were built for i may pick one up soon so when im in the back country ill have a way to make loads if i feel like packing every thing with me

Nelsonholsters
08-10-2020, 01:09 AM
I haven't got any hand help loaders but I do have several lee dies, single stage press, lee load master and all my molds are lee- all works great and has help up to dome major abuse.
I also use a Hornady lock n load.
I prefer lee reloading dies on several calibers.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Pigboat
08-10-2020, 01:15 AM
I've reloaded many rounds sitting in front of the TV with one.

Nelsonholsters
08-10-2020, 01:24 AM
I cast 1500 rounds of 9mm today then powder coated them.
Sized and loaded a few watching TV.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Walks
08-10-2020, 01:51 AM
I've used one plenty for sizing/expanding cases.
Like the Lyman better. More leverage. And you can bolt it down if you have the space.

Chad5005
08-10-2020, 03:15 AM
ive sized and flaired many many thousands of hand gun cases 9mm to 500s&w and sized a lot of 223,300bo and 6.8spc

pocketace
08-10-2020, 03:45 AM
works for .308 and 8x57. so its good. Will it last 50 years? buy a spare and learn for yourself.

mickbr
08-10-2020, 04:11 AM
works for .308 and 8x57. so its good. Will it last 50 years? buy a spare and learn for yourself.

how old exactly are you? Some of us will be long dead in 50 years ;)

smithnframe
08-10-2020, 05:41 AM
I loaded a few thousand 45/70 rounds with a Lee hand held press when I started loading for my Sharps rifles several years ago. It's just as tight as it was when new. Well made!

pocketace
08-10-2020, 06:01 AM
how old exactly are you? Some of us will be long dead in 50 years ;)

im like a cat, im well preserved. Coffee on an IV drip has wonderful powers of preservation.

GhostHawk
08-10-2020, 06:29 AM
6 years back I got back into shooting. Opted for a Lee Breachblock hand press as my main squeeze.

Now there are a few jobs I go elsewhere for. Like full length resizing of 7.62x54r.
And I have a Lee classic cast C press mounted inverted for sizing and gas check work.

But pretty much everything else I use the hand press. Keeps me flexible, makes it easy to switch calibers in seconds.
And I still prefer it for seating bullets as I have more "feel" of what is happening. Something does not feel right stop and look.
Generally find a bullet stuck in the seating die.

Now I do deprime with a FA hand deprimer. All cases get deprimed, citric acid wash, primer pocket brushed, and visually inspected as it is rolled on a towel on my leg. Any split, any issue shows up asap.

Cases are rolled into a towel and left on the kitchen stove pilot light warm spot for an hour to dry. Are then ready to be sized, primed, flared, charged, and loaded.

That keeps my dies clean. Instead of a black hole you can see brass all the way to the primer pocket flash hole.

Do they look like factory, no. They could if I wanted them too but I am not that OCD. Most will have a very light smear of Imperial sizing wax up around the neck. IMO this is not hurting anything.

Because of health issues, and low energy I do tend to run things in stages. Get the brass clean, and counted. Then I know how many I need to cast.

Cast, and triple lube with BLL. With the last coat getting a half hour to an hour in front of a fan to encourage drying.

Then size, prime, flare, charge. Then put it all together. I don't shoot as much as I used to so normally 50 to 100 round batch's are more than plenty for me.

Once done drop into a MTM 100 round box, label with bullet weight and charge.

Done deal

And the little Lee hand press is involved in most of it. Good tool. Paid for itself several times over.

rswink
08-10-2020, 08:58 AM
how old exactly are you? Some of us will be long dead in 50 years ;)Down side of having centurion's in your family is the odds you will to, so I might still be here in 50 if the wife don't do me in first.

As for the Lee hand press, I have the Lee universal Decapper on it always, I sit and watch TV while decapping a few gallons of brass, my last run was only 2 gallons, the time before was a full 5 gallon bucket and another gallon in the range bucket that was a few movies worth.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

trebor44
08-10-2020, 09:35 AM
There are two versions. The older one did not use the quick change collets but it was a bit more 'solid'. Newer version allows for 'quick' change of dies but there is some 'wobble'. More leverage can be gained by adding some 'leg strength' if you need it. Shoulder strength works, but like a pump up pellet rifle, lower body strength and positioning can be used to your advantage.

Bazoo
08-10-2020, 10:46 AM
I use one for a good bit of work. I've noticed nickel handgun brass is harder to resize. About the hardest case to work I do on it is 30-30, with 30-06 being the only thing I have larger. 30-30 is doable but it does take some effort. I've done 30-06 but I generally do it on the bench press. I have found that Hornady one shot lube makes sizing easier than imperial. I drilled the ram deeper to hold more primers.

I enjoy going outside and working on a batch of cases. I often use the hand press as auxiliary when usin the bench press too. Like if I have to remove a primer for some reason.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-10-2020, 10:49 AM
The Lee Hand Press is a great tool. I've owned 5 of them, am on the 5th one now, and that's because I gave away the preceding 4 to new reloaders. I also favor the old model, but am now stuck with the new model which involves buying the quick release bushings. A couple of winters back I sat right here and reloaded over 1,200 rounds (total) in 6 different calibers. The tool shines for pistol cartridges, and can be a bit of a chore with long rifle cartridges requiring a lot of squeeze, but works on them also. I use the hand press and the Lee Ram Prime system to prime cases with great success.

sghart3578
08-10-2020, 11:43 AM
Last week I had to go to a remote job site and wait for a crane to show up. He ended up getting lost temporarily and I waited a total of 7 hours for him.

This has happened to me many times before so I was prepared.

I packed my traveling reload kit. I sized and deprimed 361 357 mag cases. I then got my drill motor and used the Lee trimmer to trim all 361 cases to length.

I don't use my Lee handpress regularly but there are times when it is really nice to have.

Steve in N CA

mdi
08-10-2020, 12:08 PM
I have had two. The first one I used a lot, with good success on handgun rounds. It went away during "The Divorce". After I got back into reloading I purchased another. I don't use it a lot, but I've done everything on it I did on my Challenger. Now it gets used some times for small runs of simple tasks like sizing/decapping. Occasionally I'll get it out and reload some revolver rounds, just like I do with my Lee Loaders, but my Co-Ax is so easy to use that I'm using my "alternatives" less and less. For what it was designed for, the Lee Hand Press works quite well. Yes, arms can get tired after F/L sizing 80-100 cases, and sometimes it feels wobbly in use, but good accurate ammo can easily be assembled with it...

pworley1
08-10-2020, 12:50 PM
I use them for de priming and expanding most everything. I also use them for sizing my pistol brass.

W.R.Buchanan
08-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Or you could use one of these and not have any problems at all. Just sayin' Why not drive a Cadillac?

Available as a Screw In only or Hornady Lock n Load version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=3s

www.buchananprecisionmachine.com.

Randy

Ozark mike
08-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Just sayin' Why not drive a Cadillac?
Randy

Because i can only afford a rambler:bigsmyl2:

Green Frog
08-11-2020, 09:36 PM
Randy, are yours still in production? I thought you said in a previous post that you were curtailing new production. If so, your presses will be more like Deusenbergs... discontinued classics!

For anyone else, if you can get one of Randy’s hand presses or one of its spiritual forebears like the Compac from HDS, not only will you have portability but durability and class as well. Yes I had a Lee before I found my Compac, and I have the attitude “why drink cheap beer when you can have fine wine?”

44magLeo
08-11-2020, 09:45 PM
The Buchanan and it's forbears are very good presses. As far as portability I think the Lee has the advantage. The Lee weighs less and is more compact. So easier to store and carry with you.
Leo

tankgunner59
08-11-2020, 10:07 PM
I haven't had my Lee hand press for a long time, maybe 3 or 4 years. But I have reloaded 380 Auto, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 Smith and Wesson, 22-250, 6.5 CM, 7.62X39, 30-30, 7.62X54R and 30-06 with no problems. It's still just as tight as original. I personally like the press a lot and plan on using it into the future.

mickbr
08-12-2020, 04:39 AM
Or you could use one of these and not have any problems at all. Just sayin' Why not drive a Cadillac?

Randy

Two words "Exchange Rate". :D

W.R.Buchanan
08-12-2020, 07:44 PM
OK, since I'm Bored and have nothing to do right now, we need to dispel some Rumors.

First: My tool is made from all machined parts. The Lee Tool is made from Die Cast Aluminum Parts.

Second: My tool weighs 3 lbs on the nose, the Lee tool weighs 1 lb 12 oz.

Third: My tool is slightly smaller in overall dimensions than the Lee tool
Forth: In the box the Lee Tool Weighs 2 lbs 4.2 oz. My tool in the Boyt Carrying Case weighs 3 lbs. 10.4 oz. Difference of 1 lb. 6 oz. I don't see a significant difference in Portability?

Fifth: My tool has about 25-30% more compound leverage than the Lee Tool because I had this Lee tool in hand when I designed mine.

Sixth: I have customers who size .308 Machine Gun Brass in one stroke. It takes me 3 strokes on my Rockchucker! One guy loads .577 NE on his BPM HP by the Camp Fire in Namibia! The Lee Tool can't do this,,, anywhere.

Seventh: The Lee Tool is $50,,, my tool is $250!

Closing: Nothing wrong with the Lee Hand Press. It works and is well worth the $50. Mine also works, but it works better and will outlast the Lee 5:1 easily. It feels better in your hands and is a precision made piece of equipment, it will also stand up by itself and you can easily clamp it to a table. The Lee tool needs assistance to stand up at all!

Mine is also Worth the $250, so You just have to decide which one will give you more satisfaction in ownership.

So far 225 people have bought mine, and no one is giving one up. So there must be something of value there.

Lee has probably sold more? Plenty of mine available for the Foreseeable Future. All are built to order by ME!

Randy

John Boy
08-12-2020, 07:55 PM
Great Tool

Boondock
08-12-2020, 08:40 PM
Great Tool

I agree, the tool works great, is small and packable and uses standard size dies. My other considerations were the Lyman 310 tool which does not use standard size dies or the lee classic loader seems to have a more cumbersome process

rswink
08-12-2020, 10:20 PM
Reminds me why I dislike car sales men, buy mine it costs this much and I think it is better because I sell it.

Bull, the market decided what is good and bad. Lee sells a lot of those little loaders, have a few myself. I have started a few others on this journey with the Lee tool. Why, because when the little wife is already mad because you got another rifle the last thing you want to say it, this tool costs $250, and veto. At $50 you squeeze the thing in because it is cheap.

Then buy a universal Decapper and start saving brass. She sees an investment in the future for saving. Next, oh, I need this special part that makes it fit this rifle, $50, sold. Keep stockpiling.

After a while she wonders how this is stopping you from buying ammo, so you buy components instead and roll your own. Now, she has spent less and over time. You have shown that you are thinking ahead and that makes her happy. And, you got in cheap.

After that you don't aim for another hand press, you go single stage or turret press that will take your current setup. Later you go progressive.

Also, it helps if somewhere in there you set a dedicated, safe, and secure area to do your Reloading, and you keep it tidy and organized. It really is a win win.

Ozark mike
08-12-2020, 10:43 PM
Reminds me why I dislike car sales men, buy mine it costs this much and I think it is better because I sell it.

Bull, the market decided what is good and bad. Lee sells a lot of those little loaders, have a few myself. I have started a few others on this journey with the Lee tool. Why, because when the little wife is already mad because you got another rifle the last thing you want to say it, this tool costs $250, and veto. At $50 you squeeze the thing in because it is cheap.

Then buy a universal Decapper and start saving brass. She sees an investment in the future for saving. Next, oh, I need this special part that makes it fit this rifle, $50, sold. Keep stockpiling.

After a while she wonders how this is stopping you from buying ammo, so you buy components instead and roll your own. Now, she has spent less and over time. You have shown that you are thinking ahead and that makes her happy. And, you got in cheap.

After that you don't aim for another hand press, you go single stage or turret press that will take your current setup. Later you go progressive.

Also, it helps if somewhere in there you set a dedicated, safe, and secure area to do your Reloading, and you keep it tidy and organized. It really is a win win.

Now i do believe his to be sturdier than the lee and capable to be able to handle the longer cartridges i just can't put that kind of money down for a hand press so i wouldn't call it car salesman tactics big difference

rswink
08-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Now i do believe his to be sturdier than the lee and capable to be able to handle the longer cartridges i just can't put that kind of money down for a hand press so i wouldn't call it car salesman tactics big differenceTrue, not completely, but still a passionate plea for sales. That is what I was trying elude to, didn't make my point as well as I should have. Sorry.

As for the product, I would probably try it if I had a place for it in my routine or even a physical place to put it. Since I don't and I am not super interested in changing things up right now I will just file it away for maybe some day.

But, I still use the Lee hand press for Decapping while watching TV. Works perfect, no table required in the recliner.

Bazoo
08-12-2020, 10:58 PM
I've not used Randy's press but it's on the dream list. It's got better leverage and is made better. I could certainly get along with it, but I see a flaw, you need something to set it on. The design of the lee works well when setting on the ground with the press in your lap. You can run pistol brass pretty fast this way. I use my lee hand press this way a lot.

I'd like to see a lee hand press with refinements in some areas.

What if any spring does your press have Randy? I know the cast iron O presses spring some but I'd guess the BPM press doesn't spring much if any.

Dvdmacdaddy
08-13-2020, 10:02 AM
I have used the Lee Hand Press for 45-70 (that was not easy sizing the brass), 25-06, 243, 223/556, 45, 38/357, 9mm, 380 and now 44sp/mag. Its all I use for 25-06 and 243 (i shoot maybe 10 rounds a year of each) the rest is mainly case prep. When going camping I'll grab supplies for 500ish rounds of whatever I feel like loading and the hand press (its nice to just sit there in chair/table under a tree and make some ammo listening to the birds and river). I have also made a mount so it is upside down on my bench for using the Lee push through sizing dies.

Irascible
08-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Keep the pivot pin area lubed. I completely wore mine out in 1 year only using it to decap pistol brass during cowboy action matches. Black powder of course!

Green Frog
08-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Glad to hear you are still in production and I that was misinformed, Randy. It’s good to know that one can still get top-of-the-line. Heavy duty is almost always better, so buy the best once feel it for a little while, buy cheap and get what you paid for. JMHO, make your own decision!

Froggie

rbuck351
08-13-2020, 11:18 AM
I believe Randys' press is probably as good a hand press as has ever been made. That said, I have a Lee that I bought about 30 years ago when Lee had a special offer of his loading book and the hand press for $ 19.95. I don't use it a lot and it still looks almost new. I lube it before each use and I have no problem sizing 300 win mag with it. I put my hands with the press between my knees while sitting and push with both hands and legs.
The Lee will last me the rest of my life and as none of my kids reload, I see no reason to pass on a $250 press they won't use. Also, I don't have a use for another bolt down press as I don't have room for the 20 or more presses that I have.

1hole
08-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Randy, both are just handpresses and Lee's inexpensive little Handpress vs. your excellent handmade device does have a very real difference worth considering. Cadillacs are nice but buying a Cadillac when a wheelbarrow is all we really need is a bit excessive. And, in this case, your nice tool will cost us about $200 more dollars for a precision device that will buy most of us virtually nothing in effective usefulness.

Your press is not for me but I hope you sell several train car loads of 'em and retire rich! :)

Bazoo
08-13-2020, 01:28 PM
I'm poor, and I'm in my 30s, so the Lee is what I have, but the BPM is what I want. At least I want to get one and put through it's paces. Just like with guns and knives, I've a tendency to buy and swap reloading stuff just to try new stuff. If the BPM fits me better than Lee then I'll get my money out of it. I use a hand press atleast half the time.

Ozark mike
08-13-2020, 02:03 PM
I just ordered a lee as a present for a family member new to reloading hope they like it

mickbr
08-13-2020, 09:16 PM
True, not completely, but still a passionate plea for sales. That is what I was trying elude to, didn't make my point as well as I should have. Sorry.

I dont feel he was pleading for anything. I think it was a pretty good post to make on this thread as I wasnt aware of the unit myself. Someone asked him if it was in production so he answered. Probably saved a few of us bugging him by email.

Jniedbalski
08-13-2020, 10:45 PM
I use my lee hand press all the time. I like it for depriming and sizing pistole or rifle cases. I have even loaded with it. I have my lee cast press bolted to my bench And use it a lot but some times my hand press is nice just to sit in front of the tv and knock small batches out.

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Guys,
1.The impassioned plea for sales is the whole idea. Got news for you,,, Nobody sells anything unless people know about it. That's why advertising exists.

2. You can sit on the ground and run my tool just as easily as the Lee Tool, you don't need a table, It just makes the tool easier to use, and is not even an option with Lee.

3. If you take care of a Lee it should last a good long time, if you don't,,, it or mine won't last, and any one who is using tools for a living should know that.

4. I hate using the "You get what you pay for" line. But in both cases here you do. In the Lee case, you get a workable tool that will Load ammo. In my case, you get a precision made tool that will last a lifetime and give the owner a level of satisfaction far beyond anything else ever made to do that task. You do get satisfaction out of using your tools don't you?

Do you understand the term "Tactile Gratification?" It is the feeling of pleasure you get from handling something that feels good to the touch. This is especially true with guns that you carry for long periods of time, or tools that you use alot. Some things just feel better than others that may do the same job. Snap-On made a pretty serious reputation on that very point, and they were/are the most expensive tools out there. But Harbor Freight Tools work just fine, and I have both.

I didn't design my tool to be Price Competitive. I built it to be the best there is. There is value in that to some people . Like 226 so far.

Until someone comes along with a valid reason why it's not,,,, That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2020, 05:12 PM
I dont feel he was pleading for anything. I think it was a pretty good post to make on this thread as I wasn't aware of the unit myself. Someone asked him if it was in production so he answered. Probably saved a few of us bugging him by email.

Mick: I have shipped a bunch of my tools to AUS. I can fix you right up. (Impassioned plea for International Sales!)

See website below signature. Email for quote on shipping.

Randy

fiberoptik
08-14-2020, 05:29 PM
I'm poor, and I'm in my 30s, so the Lee is what I have, but the BPM is what I want. At least I want to get one and put through it's paces. Just like with guns and knives, I've a tendency to buy and swap reloading stuff just to try new stuff. If the BPM fits me better than Lee then I'll get my money out of it. I use a hand press atleast half the time.

Ditto except for age. 50’s. I hope to be able to get Randy’s fine tool in the future. I use cheap, but do appreciate value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT1
08-14-2020, 09:30 PM
One of the best deals in reloading, still. I would guess quite a few thousands of those little red hand presses have gotten a lot of frugal reloaders started in the hobby over however many decades they have been around.
That is what got me going and I still own mine even though I am on to a LCT and 650 now. It is there for any odd work.
I have seen pics of the Lyman and it looks interesting, but those are long since discontinued and don't show up a lot on the used market or I would own one of those too.

hickfu
08-14-2020, 09:49 PM
I use mine all the time if I am at the range (or out in the woods) working up a load
But, I size and flare all my brass at home on my normal press (also a breachlock)
I only take a bullet seating die and a crimp die if needed.... Works for me

mickbr
08-15-2020, 10:13 PM
Mick: I have shipped a bunch of my tools to AUS. I can fix you right up. (Impassioned plea for International Sales!)

See website below signature. Email for quote on shipping.

Randy

Thanks Randy, I would love one but its incumbent on the state of the Aus dollar and international shipping right now. It would probably cost double to get it landed at the moment. if things change I will be in touch.

abunaitoo
08-15-2020, 11:28 PM
I've had one for years, and never even tried using it.

talon7825
08-17-2020, 08:55 PM
I have one at my office, there are days I work 12 hours and then days I have hours to kill waiting on the phone to ring. I have it for about 7 years, loaded 1000s with it. Perfect for hand gun loads.

Sc0
08-25-2020, 08:58 PM
I had an older Lee hand press that my brother lifted from me years ago, mainly used it with the universal decapping die. I started off with the Lee loader, cumbersome and noisy but it worked before graduation to the hand press. For straight wall cartridges the hand press is great and to possibly neck size bottleneck cartridges, though full length resizing will probably slow down your reloading process considerably. I have the breech lock version of the hand press now which I still use with a universal decapping die. I wish it was made it off better material but I haven't seen one break and don't mind the price that it costs as is.

Bazoo
08-25-2020, 09:38 PM
Sizing 44 magnum brass is a fairly good workout on the Lee hand press. Doable, and I use it, but I wish it was easier. When the extra funds come, I'll get one of Randy's presses and report on it. Or if I get lucky I might get a compac.

Green Frog
08-30-2020, 03:42 PM
Bazoo, if you go ahead and get one while still in your 30s, it will still be good and solid when you pass it on to your favorite grandchild who will show great pride of ownership.

Froggie

dragon813gt
08-30-2020, 04:15 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/7888/46523073925_caabaffbe7_b.jpg

Have a portable loading kit made up that fits in a Pelican case and allows me to reload in hotels while I’m on the road for work. Having owned both the Lee and Randy’s I can say they both load ammo and that’s where the similarities end. Some people wan to spend the minimum amount to accomplish the task regardless of compromises they have to make. I subscribe to buy once, cry once. I don’t consider $250 a lot of money so I never cried [emoji6]

W.R.Buchanan
08-31-2020, 10:24 PM
Things to know about my tool.

1. It is a Precision Made piece of equipment! It needs to be treated as such!!!

2. Like all Precision Tools it needs to be kept clean. If it is kept clean and lightly lubricated it will last indefinitely. This is the Primary point for longevity of this tool.

3. Like all Precision Tools it stays in good shape if it is kept in it's case. These are Boyt Pistol Rugs and provide a nice soft padded place for the tool to live in when not in use. Most tools get abused most when not in use, they get banged around in a tool box or laying on a bench. I am no longer selling my tool without a case any longer.

4. When Sizing Brass it is best to be sitting and using the tool as shown in the instructions. The reason for this is, that if you drop it, it will fall in your lap instead of the floor. The main parts are made of 6061 Aluminum and they will deform if dropped on a hard surface.

5. The rest of loading operations can be accomplished with the tool clamped to a table top with a small Bar Clamp. This keeps the tool firmly in place and allows you to use both hands to feed it, and handle Brass. If you don't have a table you can still load while holding the tool as in sizing, however it becomes more difficult to deal with the brass while holding the tool too. This is why the tool has a flat bottom, and it is the only tool of its type that will stand up on its own ! I kind of planned it that way :>)

6. I assemble these tools using Vaseline as the assembly lube. ANY decent oil or other lubricant will work to properly lubricate it.

If you already have one of my tools, thanks for your business and you must be satisfied with your purchase. I have not received one negative comment about this tool from any owner since I introduced it 4 years ago. I am shipping #230 & #231 tomorrow.

I have another product I sell which is a kit that raises the seats in a Jeep TJ (97-06.) It has been in production since 1997. I have sold over 13,000 of these kits over the last 23 years. In all that time I have received exactly 2 kits back for a refund!

I expect my Hand Press to satisfy as well as that Jeep Product has.

Randy